NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving in to the garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 9>
Author
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 1:24pm
I hate it when that happens!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 1:30pm
Dumb question I guess, but what's that third tube, that looks kind of like an exhaust tube? I see the port and starboard exhausts, but there is another one that looks almost like a third exhaust next to the drive-shaft.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 1:38pm
Blower vent.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 1:41pm
I am planning on basically putting it back like it was. Doug fir, foam. I am no engineer so I feel it is best for me to just do it like it was since I am opening a can a worms I dont understand by trying to change anything. It lasted 25 years and I figure with epoxy and cpes this should last even longer.

I have kicked around the idea of a wood floor with a layer of glass over it. I am no fiberglass expert and I think this may be cheaper. Maybe this is a mistake though as the wood would likely not last as long as just glass.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 1:41pm
Uh-huh! Thanks.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

I think the piece laying to the left was an attempted repair. Can can anyone confirm this? I think the piece around the pylon is part of the rest of the floor on other stringer jobs I have seen

Justin - I'm just ripping into my 1984 SN 2001 and have found that same piece. I guess it isn't a repair attempt. I thought the same thing. It really looks out of place and the screws seemed like something they wouldn't have used at the factory. I'll have some more pics this weekend to compare.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 2:09pm

I think the piece laying to the left was an attempted repair. Can can anyone confirm this? I think the piece around the pylon is part of the rest of the floor on other stringer jobs I have seen

Not a repair. The cradle goes in after all the glassing is done, so that plywood covers it up before the carpet goes down.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Not a repair. The cradle goes in after all the glassing is done, so that plywood covers it up before the carpet goes down.

Yes apparently not, it was very strang as it had 3 screws in it? two on one side and one on the other, seemed weird at first but I guess thats how they roll at CC circa 1986.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 2:30pm
You still may have had a repair in that area, factory or not, but a board is supposed to be there.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 2:32pm
CC didnt start incorporating the floor around the pylon into the rest of the glassed-over floor until '89, Im guessing. Thats how my '90 was built, anyways. Like HW said, all cradled Ski Nautiques from '80-88 will have that removable piece. The newer/wider tabbed cradles that CC started using in '89 are notched to slide easily below the floor on the newer boats.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 8:55pm
I got my perfect pass parts today, so I will have to add that to the winter to do list. I think I am going to make a custom addon console to hold it to the bottom right of the instrument panel. I dont want to take out one of my original speedos.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 12:57am
That is a serious winter project. I love pics. Keep them coming.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 5:31pm
ya, we dont joke around at the logan house!

So this mornign while my wife was shoppig my buddy and me gutted the boat. No surprise, saturated foam and rotted wood. Here is the photo documentation. Also I am so glad we did this outside!

The front of the secondaries are compeletly delaminated form the hull. I think they will pull right out.

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 5:32pm
we weighed some of the bags and according to our estimation there was approx 350lbs of wet foam removed.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 2:36am
Wow. What a project.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 11:29am
uckin fugly
"the things you own will start to own you"
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 3:13pm
ya, it felt really good to get all the wet foam and rotted wood out. Then I went through about 25 gallons of warm soapy water to get 25 years of grease and oil out of the bilge. Buts its all dried out now, waiting in the garage for the fiberglass supplies and for me to go wood shopping.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 12:31am
Ok so I am planning on calling us composites this next week and placing my order for fiberglass supplies. I was planning on doing the floor as original but wrapping all the stringers in fiberglass, treating all wood with CPES and using epoxy resin. However I was reading another thread where someone did a plywood floor and no foam. I like the idea of this but my question is would this need cross bracing of some kind. I am planning on doing the glass and foam unless someone thinks no foam and a wood floor would be better, cheaper or easier.

Also I was planning on treating the old piece of removeable floor with CPES should I just brush it on?

I am guessing us composites will have recommendations on how many layers of cloth to use and how much resin? I have seen some people do 5 layers of layup for the floor. Does anyone know how many layers where original from the factory? Seems more like 2 or 3
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 11:17am
not that it matters, but im anti-foam, I see no benefit from it
On a FN, I would foam only for the reason of not seeing the shoreline
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 11:50am

Also I was planning on treating the old piece of removeable floor with CPES should I just brush it on?

You mean the piece behind the motor? It's probably black with mold and oil and I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with new.

As for CPES, it is almost as thin as water, just brush it on with cheap disposable chip brushes (harbor freight, box of 12. 3" for $5.99) Make sure you give it 2 good coats wet on wet , don't let it dry between coats. On plywood edges you could even give an extra helping.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 4:47pm
Yes that piece, it is I. Surprisingly good shape. It's not moldy at all it does have some oil on it. I was planning on sanding it then treating with cpes.

I guess what I am worried about changing the design I am not sure I am knowledgeable enough to effectively brace the floor. I know I can redo like it was done but it is tempting because I also think no foam will be cheaper
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 8:59pm
Ok so, I am still tentatively planning on going original on the floor, but keeping the wood floor with no foam on the table. For the original floor it looks like there was about 1/4 inch of fiberglass. Will the 5 gallon kit of epoxy resin be enough?

also planning on ordering 2 16 lb kits of foam.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 9:19am
needless to say you guys, but your boats have probably spent more time soggy than not soggy, so you cant say it lasted 25 years, 15 i would agree with
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 11:36am
yes well it didnt fall apart or rot in two so I guess if you count that as lasting then it lasted. The main stringers are still solid no rot. just the secondaries rotted at the tops, bottoms are still solid where it didnt delaminate. However, its all coming out.

Eric, since you are a no foam guy, if I went with a plywood floor and no foam how much extra reinforcement do you think the floor would need?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 12:56pm
Justin,
Eric may not be back on site till the morning so I'll jump in here. 1/2" or if you are worried. 5/8" ply with a layer of glass on both sides is fine with the original stringer layout.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 1:36pm
Pete, I am assuming he's asking about what type of additional supports may be required below the floor in order to replace the strength of the foam. I believe both Joe and Gundriver added ribs spaced every 12-18" on their foamless 2001 rebuilds.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 2:12pm
Tim,
My Tique did not have any extra supports and it has 5/8". It is solid! Think about a common floor with the joists typically on 16" centers, the stringers in our hulls are closer than that.

The only place I may add extra, is the panel aft of the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 2:22pm
Pete, the support is not only for the floor, but for the hull. The smaller, thicker hull boats can get away with fewer supports. Im willing to bet that the 2001 cant- I know the BFN and my '90 oilcanned badly without the foam.

As far as your floor joist analogy goes, thats a bit of a stretch. Without the foam or other structural members (besides the stringers), there are gaps larger than 16" (forward of where the secondaries end), and the entire length of the floor would be cantilevered outbound of the secondaries... you dont see that much in home floor construction.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete, the support is not only for the floor, but for the hull. The smaller, thicker hull boats can get away with fewer supports. Im willing to bet that the 2001 cant- I know the BFN and my '90 oilcanned badly without the foam.

As far as your floor joist analogy goes, thats a bit of a stretch. Without the foam or other structural members (besides the stringers), there are gaps larger than 16" (forward of where the secondaries end), and the entire length of the floor would be cantilevered outbound of the secondaries... you dont see that much in home floor construction.

Tim,
We are talking floor and not hulls! Cantilevered? Not really if the floor is glassed to the hull sides. Now, I want you to go down into you basement and see if there is any blocking between the 16" supporting the subfloor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 2:50pm
I just checked the basement- I could not find any ply (floor) cantilevered beyond the outermost floor joist!    For some reason, the builders saw fit to support the floor all the way to the edge? Even on the smaller boats with sufficiently strong hulls (and no ribs required), Id be blocking the floor at the edge.

And yes, we're talking about the floor, but we're talking about the hull, too. Have you ever set foot in a gutted 2001 (or newer)? The hull is very thin, and the spans between supports (stringers) is quite large, in some areas. Ask Joe what he thinks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 9>
  Share Topic