Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

so my tranny is toast, new tranny is here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: so my tranny is toast, new tranny is here!
    Posted: October-17-2011 at 2:36pm
Sort of saw this day was coming eventually!

I been leaving in borrowed time with the tranny and this saturday it showed it first signs of wear!
Its slipping under load...if you are easy on the throtle its fine, but when you hammer it it slips a bit then it pairs up....I experience it first with some ballast (1 750lb sac in the back)..then with no ballast and on takeoff and me on the boom doing barefoot....
I checked tranny fluid and its in level, no leaks, no burnt smell that i can tell, no water, etc...tranny was not hot to the touch....

I say borrowed time as I had some drag on the reverse, I would put in reverse and then to neutral and it kept in reverse.... Its been working with this for the last 2 years.

Now looking at the prices of the spares parts I might need to change and labor here, looks like the best option might be getting a new unit...
still need to do some research....
and this when we are almost at the beginig of the season
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 2:40pm
what about eric?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

what about eric?

I think the shipping, duty and brokerage charges would be a "killer".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 2:57pm
It's probably toasted but there are 2 things I would try first.
Where the cooler return line enters the trans at the bottom drivers side there in a wire mesh filter inside. Remove that line, unscrew the housing (need a 1 1/8 wrench), and the whole assembly will come out with just your finger. If it's full of clutch parts or metal, forget it, you need it rebuilt. If it's clean, try flushing the tranny with several quarts of type F fluid (no friction modifiers), you can blow it through with compressed air at the filler and out the bottom into a pan.
Button it up and add 2 quarts of type F. Might get you through for a while. Worked for me for 10 hours use so far, and mine had water in from a bad tranny cooler.. Yes I will send it to Eric before next summer.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

what about eric?

I think the shipping, duty and brokerage charges would be a "killer".

exactly!!!

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 3:18pm
in the event i decide for a new unit..I was wondering if with the care of being easy on the throtle..could I continue using it like this? Or there´s a chance to evolve into a complete no fwd in a sudden?

This week I will inspect the cooler and do a fluid change....
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 9:47pm
Seb, I already spoke with Marcelo to get you a price quote on a new one.

Have you contacted Barrera?
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 12:36am
Seb, sorry to hear your lose there bro. Hope everything gets fixed right.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 1:46am
for what Ive read looks like the forward drum is craked, so the fluid change doesn´t look like it will work,
out it will go to the local tranny shop to get a quote....but i´m not sure so as they charge for inspecting it if you don´t accept the quote....and as a referece for rebuilt cost I have Lucho experience, he was charged around $2500 for doing a velvet from a moomba, all new seal, gaskets etc....
local dealer quoted me a new tranny around 6k!!!!
if I do the import I can have it in my door for around 3k....in 10-15 day...
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 2:12am
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

as a referece for rebuilt cost I have Lucho experience, he was charged around $2500 for doing a velvet from a moomba, all new seal, gaskets etc....

Correction, it was a ZF 45D 1:1 and it was more like U$D2800.

It seem parts for these ZF are pretty high on price compared to the Velvet's.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 7:39am
Thats bad news Kapla with the summer not far away. Tranny problems are a nightmare for us OS customers as the knowledge base of the local repair shops have no comparison to someone like Eric who does one or two every day compared to one or two every year. I remember Eric saying that the PCM transmission parts are the most overpriced. Not the news you probably wanted to hear.

Not sure if I would disassemble and send pics to Eric so he could help diagnose and send the required parts and info or just order a new unit.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 10:08am
buy a new loaded drum........easily can walk Luch thru this one.
are there taxes if you right warranty on the boxes? ship it as a warranty unit
sorry write
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 11:44am
The problem is this country, laws and regulations are never so clear, you could go many ways on this one, but you'd never be sure you will end up getting it through customs and if not you already invested some dough, We discussed it with Kapla, initial investment is U$D1700, best case scenario you get it out of customs with another U$D1700-2000, so final price around U$D3600s.
The guys with the "connections" could get you one out for U$D4500.

so the price difference ends up on U$D900, what would you do?

We have 2 Volvo exhaust manifolds on customs, customers had to leave them there and ended up buying overpriced locally. Could not get them out and lost the investment.

We are trying to price one through the new Nautique dealer, Eric how much would the drum cost? how much does it weight?

edit: the numbers above are not exact but were set as an example of the situation. No animals were harmed during this post.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 3:33pm
a loaded drum as the drum and the clutch assy? and of course the gasket set....and seals?
around $800 in parts only US price.....local price por those part can sometimes be double or triple, depends where you buy them. Then there´s the warranty issue, If you provide the parts to the shop they might not warrant the job. But they kill you with the price of the parts they provide...same parts
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 3:41pm
so i´m not sure what to do.....
geez...
If i order a new one I can recup some money by selling the old unit as core...I could get around 700-1000 in this crazy country!

my tranny was not the one that came in hte boat, it was replaced by a rebuilt unit and lasted 8 years, 1200hrs, it oil changed every 100hrs.

firts unit also quit around 1100 hours being 300 mine and the rest from the PO..so service history prior to my purchase is unkown..Boat was abused some! this one had a broken pump.

so looks like they have service life of around 1200? or its just lottery?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 3:55pm

so looks like they have service life of around 1200? or its just lottery?

I would bet that how well it was cared for- oil changes, alignment, etc as well as how hard it was run would be greater influences on life expectancy than "luck of the draw". Neither you nor the previous owner ran your boat with hefty ballast, right?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 5:00pm
around 2klb ballast ain´t that much...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 6:04pm
If I opt for a new unit...buying new oil lines and a cooler is a must? or can I reuse my old stuf....which is in good shape? anyway its not that expensive those parts
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 6:29pm

around 2klb ballast ain´t that much...

Yep, 1200 hours seems about right then...
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 7:26pm

Sort of coming!

I been leaving in borrowed time with the tranny and this saturday it showed it first signs of wear!
Its sipping load...if you are easy on the throte its fine, but when you hammer it it sips a bit....I fist with some ball sac in the back..then with no balls and me bare....
I checked tranny and it leaks, no smell that i can tell...tranny was hot to touch....

I say borrowed time as I had some drag I would put on and kept working with this for the last 2 years.

Now looking at the prices of a new unit...
still need to do some research....
and this when we are almost at the beginig of the season

you have a cross dressing season? quinner does it all year
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 7:48pm
you got me!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 8:11pm
drum 326.00 clutch kit 200.00 seal and gasket 186.00
what happens when you guys purchase from E-bay?
my suggestion of writing warranty on the box and paperwork normally will let it slide thru customs
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 8:13pm
a new cooler and lines wouldnt hurt, cheap insurance
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 8:14pm
we do know people at DIM, would a ghost invoice help? credit card the transaction possibly?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 10:53pm
Can someone hand carry your parts across customs in a suitcase? In my world shipping experience, what comes in the suitcase and is hand carried in will be seen in a much different light than items that are shipped.    Kind of a crazy idea, but since there is a lack of expertise in your area, a "vacation" for Eric where he brings the parts with him might be cheaper than getting the parts shipped...   you would also be sure it's done well, and be confident in the "shop" doing the work.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 9:43am
you cant let a kid like me loose in a candy store
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2011 at 7:44pm
been doing some more research....and looks like a new one will be the option..I´m working on shipping quotes.
Looks like dim has the best price @ $1550...so I might buy them from them.
Still waiting from other option.
Once I make the purchase it will take 15 days to get here...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 9:58am
wish i had one laying around to send ya, 40 empty cases and no drums, like i said the parts are a killer.
Kap, not all drums crack, it could just need a freshening up, nice soft pliable o-rings do wonders.
would Luch be willing to tear into it? its unusual to see a trans with your hours with a cracked drum, more prevalent in lower hour boats. there are times when you can go thru these transmissions with a seal and gasket kit and clutches, all it takes is one good slip and if you glaze the clutches they wont hold, that may too be a possibilty
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 10:58am
Eric, Kapla's 200 milles away and has the one or two specialized shops in town, I offered him assitance in taking it out and putting it back in the boat. I dont know if I'd want my first tranny to be a friend's... or I do?
but as he's still unsure what he will do with this unit because of the potential price of parts. I suggested him getting a new unit as well. Then if He wants to tear into it just for curiosity i'd be all in!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2011 at 4:03pm
Eric

I had parts quoted locally and I can tell you prices are high! gasket set $490, complete clutch assy around $900, there you go with the $1400 in parts, add $600 in labour the shop takes to do the tear down, clean, parts replacement etc, etc...and you are in the 2k...then if the drum is cracked another $900, and if the pump is shot, another $900...so the bill is up to $3600....
I could save some money buying the parts in the US but i would have to buy all parts needed including the drum and pump, just in case.. you ..know ...in that case I would end up paying around 1200 net in parts if I get someone to bring them in their luggage without paying taxes, or around 1800-2000 if I have them shipped and pay taxes...labours of course if fixed so I end up again around 2000-2500 for a rebuilt unit....Time is also a factor....If I order the parts I have to wait around 10 days to have them here and another 10 days in the shop for a rebuilt....

So the new unit looks like the best option..and I get to play with the old tranny, even with more time..I could have it diagnosed by you, buy the needed parts there and then sell it as a rebuilt unit...
For reference a PCM 1:1 is $4500, A velvet in the 3600-4000 range as they are more common here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic