NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2011 at 7:56pm
"Not true. The thermostat controls the flow of water OUT of the intake, not in." I didn't say that water goes in the t stat, I was taking it that the block is already full of water and the circ pump can't send any more in, hence the extra water/antifreeze will be sent out the exhaust. So, block full of water, t stat closed, whatever is sucked up goes out the exhaust.

"If empty, the block,heads and intake will fill with fluid as soon as you introduce it via the circ pump, regardless of whether the engine is up to temp or not." If my engine was up to temp, I would hope it's already full of water and I wouldn't want it up to temp and introduce cold water instantly from either pump.
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2011 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Why did you add the garden hose connections? Certainly not with the intent of winterizing!!! If so, you are being misdirected.

I disagree, Pete. I always run on the hose when I winterize. How else would you fog down the throat of the carb?

I always follow by draining and refilling, of course.

Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Just sucking up antifreeze wont work. If the T stat is closed, you'll just pump antifreeze out the exhaust.

Not true. The thermostat controls the flow of water OUT of the intake, not in. If empty, the block,heads and intake will fill with fluid as soon as you introduce it via the circ pump, regardless of whether the engine is up to temp or not. This is one reason why you can pour antifreeze in at any temperature.

Still, I think the suck up/ recycle method is silly and overcomplicated.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 1:17am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Guys, pumping the AF with engine runnning, catching & recycle is the hard way to do it. Just drain all points & fill with AF. The Tstat has a bypass hole & doesn't need to be removed for fill.

Well said Chris!!    Plus, if the pour in method is used, (simpler!!) the block will fill from the the bottom porting off the circ pump so there's no need to worry about the T stat opening!!!       

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 12:45am
The primary reason I added the garden hose connections was to be able run the boat on the trailer before putting it into the lake for the summer - avoid unpleasant surprises on the boat ramp. The marina I had winterize the boat last fall has an "antifreeze tank" in which they run inboards to winterize them. I made the leap of faith that I could accomplish the same thing using the garden hose connections. However it sounds like that may not be the best approach.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2011 at 11:53pm
Guys, pumping the AF with engine runnning, catching & recycle is the hard way to do it. Just drain all points & fill with AF. The Tstat has a bypass hole & doesn't need to be removed for fill.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2011 at 2:08pm
Just sucking up antifreeze wont work. If the T stat is closed, you'll just pump antifreeze out the exhaust. I do the recycle method, I catch what's coming out and recycle it until it gets very warm. Then take a hose loose and check the freezing point on what's inside the block. If you're using the pumping method, just remember the antifreeze will mix with the water that's already in the block, so don't add a bunch of water to it. Another way is take the thermostat out, and take a hose off that is low on the block and back fill with antifreeze into the intake at the t stat until the antifreeze push out the water from the disconnected hose. This might not work of some "plumbing" configurations.
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2011 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by lank lank wrote:

My question are (1) What is the best recipe for winterizing antifreeze?

RV antifreeze and follow the procedure in the Chrysler manual. In brief, drain and pour.

Why did you add the garden hose connections? Certainly not with the intent of winterizing!!! If so, you are being misdirected.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2011 at 12:36pm
Unfortunately in northern Indiana it's time to put away the boat      We've a 1972 Martinique with the 318 Chrysler. This spring I added garden hose connections so that part is ready to go. My question are (1) What is the best recipe for winterizing antifreeze? (2) I assume I mix it up in containers and pull from those into the engine? (3) How much do I need to suck in to be confident the engine is protected? Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic