NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1950 CC Junior Utility Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 8:58pm
Well you certainly are no stranger to this operation Allen. Am looking forward to seeing some pictures of the Hurricane one of these days.

The rain has been good to the Junior again today so thought I'd post a few pictures of the slow progress. Tomorrow promises sun but I promised myself to lay up the first bond before I start painting the bottom of the fin boat.

CPES all stock to be bonded.....

Stage setup and prepare for the first bond.....

Now to see what tomorrow brings!
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2012 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Well you certainly are no stranger to this operation Allen. Am looking forward to seeing some pictures of the Hurricane one of these days.

I started working on it again a couple weeks ago, jack. Pictures soon. Ceiling planks, dashboard and floor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2012 at 11:47pm
The stem is really taking shape now. Integrity increases dramatically with each bond......

The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2012 at 12:40am
Rainy day Jack?    Looks great
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2012 at 11:46pm
Several rainy days later and a few sunny ones LOL. Hard to put the piece down when it starts to look like you anticipated....

And now to start removing material. Somewhere in this bent, square edge log is a stem. Need to find it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 8:18am
Jack,
The stem is looking great. Remember when you were going rebuild it with just prying the hull ply open some?

Have you decided what you are going to do with the keel yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 11:36am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
The stem is looking great. Remember when you were going rebuild it with just prying the hull ply open some?

Have you decided what you are going to do with the keel yet?

Never say never I believe is the saying Pete. I still struggle with how far to go at times LOL. Son wants to save the side hull material but it needs to be repaired. Bottoms look like toast. Anyways we are getting a good result even if we do get mad at the messenger at times. Had to be more than a bit naive to think the stem could have been fixed without going into this extensive procedure.

Glad you brought up the keel. I don't plan on removing it but have taken off the outer keel if I have the right terminology. It will be replaced. One thing I am a little unsure of and could use advice...do the bolts that bind the stem together have their heads concealed under the trim on the bow? One is a carriage bolt and located near where the stem meets the keel and the one on the yoke(not carriage). Perhaps I better study the glossary of terms LOL.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 12:23pm
I'm quite impressed, be sure to grab a coors original when you're finished haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DMXbU4eNWlI

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

I'm quite impressed, be sure to grab a coors original when you're finished haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DMXbU4eNWlI

For Peter who still hasn't learned how to post a proper link!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 9:39pm
Jack,
What I have found and is typical with most wood boats is the head of the carriage bolts are one layer under the finish wood. CC would leave the very last lamination off the stem until it was all bolted to the keel. Then with their nails and the "dumb dumb" put the last lamination on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 11:33am

Jack,
What I have found and is typical with most wood boats is the head of the carriage bolts are one layer under the finish wood. CC would leave the very last lamination off the stem until it was all bolted to the keel. Then with their nails and the "dumb dumb" put the last lamination on.

On this one it looks like perhaps they we're exposed and prehaps covered over or filled. Need to decide which to do. Probably won't matter for appearance cause it's all paint in this area.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2012 at 10:37pm
.....making shavings

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 5:27pm
Lookin' Good !!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 6:05pm
Let the sculpting begin. That was a very rewarding part of the project Jack...when it actually looks like you thought it would in your head.

As for the bolts on the Hurricane the ones that join the stem to the keel went through both keel layers, recessed and filled with famowood.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Let the sculpting begin. That was a very rewarding part of the project Jack...when it actually looks like you thought it would in your head.

As for the bolts on the Hurricane the ones that join the stem to the keel went through both keel layers, recessed and filled with famowood.

Is your's finished? Post some pr0n.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2012 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Is your's finished? Post some pr0n.

NO, just got started back on mine, will post some new photos in a few weeks. thanks for asking
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2013 at 9:30am
Rain has been good to the Junior and a little gain made on the two year old project. Slow but sure she is going back together. With the new stem in place and bonded I can now repair the chines and start to button up the lose ends on the bulkheads. Still many hours to go before I start putting the hull material on.

Scarph joint repair at chine...

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2013 at 10:27am
Work on the transome is nearing completion. I was able to save at least 50% or better or the original parts.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 10:14am
The Jr is about to get new kneebraces...

... one side at a time
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 11:03am
Jack,
My 54 needed new knee gussets as well. It looked like CC used some junk old plywood scraps which doesn't surprise me! I too did one side at a time to maintain the hull shape.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 9:11pm

Jack,
My 54 needed new knee gussets as well. It looked like CC used some junk old plywood scraps which doesn't surprise me! I too did one side at a time to maintain the hull shape.

Pete, at first I thought you were kidding when you said things like that long ago but I have seen what you refer to and I do think they went to the boat scrap yard to get filler stock at times. Remember those folks came from depression era and brought the meaning of the word frugal to a whole new level. I found an assortment of thicknesses and species of plywoods in the knee gussets primarily ac fir plywood so I picked up a sheet and have been carving that up.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 9:20pm
Putting it back together after CPES yeaterday. Lots or 5200 so, guess it won't be comin apart ever again.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 9:27pm
oh almost forgot the transome progress...

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 9:51pm
Great job - I would have that white stuff all over my arms on a project that big!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 8:58am
I ruined another shirt the other day Chris. Stickiest stuff I ever worked with.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 12:52pm
Good work Jack, looks familiar. BTW, I have several pairs of work jeans so covered in 5200 that they stand up by themselves.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 4:43pm
I see the kneebraces are going back with slotted screws too....nice touch Jack.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

I see the kneebraces are going back with slotted screws too....nice touch Jack.

Keep it original!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 10:57pm
Two comments....some poke fun at the keep it original guys....sometimes it works to your advantage

My son and I have been stocking up on new screws for the installation of the hull material and also for the various frame repairs. In the case of the knee brace screws, several thoughts again...they came out clean because they were never puttied in...went back in the same holes...the 5200 will render the screws redundant in 24 hours anyways....so, in the interest of keeping original as much as possible and all things considered, I went right ahead and dropped them back in the holes they came out of
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 7:19am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

some poke fun at the keep it original guys....sometimes it works to your advantage

The ones who do the poking are the hacks who are not familiar with the ACBS judging rules!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
  Share Topic