NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1950 CC Junior Utility Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 11>
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 12:33pm
Next question for the inquisitive mind...Did CC prefinish the hull before installing the splash rails or guards? I think this one may have come without and these could have been added as an accessory. If it's pre splash vintage than they will not be going back on.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2012 at 12:43pm
We would love to meet you and to have a look at this on going resto. We will be there next year too. Billy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Takers?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 11:16am
Time to buy adhesive. How many tubes? White or mahogany? How about the fasteners? Some of the brass screws are still in a good condition with clean slots, any reason not to reuse?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 11:51am
Not sure how far you're going down. Did you say you were removing the plywood now, all the way down to frames?   That's what I would do without hesitation. It will expose any further rot issues and give you an opportunity to remove, clean and refasten all the frame knee braces.   You need to get that frame nice and sound before going any further.

I would recommend starting with one case of 5200 (12 tubes) and see how far it goes. You will need plenty more but by then you'll know how far it goes.

Buy new silicone bronze Frearson head screws too, the old ones may snap when tightened back down but even if they don't those slotted screws are a PITA.

The 5200 and fasteners are the most expensive part of the rebuild for you but I wouldn't compromise at this point.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:04pm
Jack,
I totally agree with Alan. Go for a case of the 5200 and yes on the silicone bronze Frearson. BTW, you should have the silicone bronze screws in the hull already???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Not sure how far you're going down. Did you say you were removing the plywood now, all the way down to frames?   That's what I would do without hesitation. It will expose any further rot issues and give you an opportunity to remove, clean and refasten all the frame knee braces.   You need to get that frame nice and sound before going any further.

I would recommend starting with one case of 5200 (12 tubes) and see how far it goes. You will need plenty more but by then you'll know how far it goes.

Buy new silicone bronze Frearson head screws too, the old ones may snap when tightened back down but even if they don't those slotted screws are a PITA.

The 5200 and fasteners are the most expensive part of the rebuild for you but I wouldn't compromise at this point.

Thanks for the info Alan. I will follow the advice. I am taking all the plywood off and will address all the knee braces etc. Think the 5200 mat be available at HD. Know I can get it at Jamestown. Will check pricing.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
I totally agree with Alan. Go for a case of the 5200 and yes on the silicone bronze Frearson. BTW, you should have the silicone bronze screws in the hull already???

Will do Pete,

I haven't put anything back together yet so no new fasteners. Was waiting to make that decision and the time is here.

Would like to hear your input on the picture posted above regarding pre finish behind the splash guard.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:33pm
Jack, white 5200 is $12.99 and Mahagony is $14.99 at Jamestown, that's about the best I've been able to find lately. Thankfully I'm done spending money on that stuff. I have heard that some HD stores have it now but don't know the cost.

If you buy from Jamestown and they do not have a free freight special running use "Flat5" in the coupon code when checking out and that will get you $5 freight on your entire order.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 1:03pm
Jack,
I don't feel the splash rail was an option. I'd have to say that CC simply finished the hull and then screwed the rail on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 2:05pm
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=5376793&langId=-1

Is this the proper fastener?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 3:49pm
Link to West Those are oval heads. Don't you need flats for the hull?

You may find a better selection and I know better pricing at Jamestown

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:16am

Link to West Those are oval heads. Don't you need flats for the hull?

You may find a better selection and I know better pricing at Jamestown

Thanks Pete, figured I needed the flat heads and Jamestown has a better price. Looks like I may need about 700 in several sizes.

Is there any discussion as to when to use waterproof carpenters glue and when to use 5200
I think I should bond the three piece upper transom member with waterproof white glue then CPES.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:27am
Jack, Maybe a few update photos of the upper transom members you are referring to would help.

Regarding the waterproof carpenters glue are you talking about polyurethane like Gorilla Grip? I haven't seen anyone use a water proof carpenter glue anywhere on a wood boat resto yet. IF it where me I would use thickened epoxy if you are laminating anything or 5200 if you are bedding pieces together at a joint. Again, pictures of the repair would be helpful
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:28am
Jack,
I wouldn't even consider a PVA (white/yellow)glue even if you use the claimed to be "waterproof" Titebond III. The only thing I would use and only in areas where you don't see any movement such as the stem lamination is a urethane or epoxy. The reason 5200 has been so successful with wood boat hulls is it will flex to a point. The opposite is true with epoxy and the reason the failure rate is very high.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:39am

Jack,
I wouldn't even consider a PVA (white/yellow)glue even if you use the claimed to be "waterproof" Titebond III. The only thing I would use and only in areas where you don't see any movement such as the stem lamination is a urethane or epoxy. The reason 5200 has been so successful with wood boat hulls is it will flex to a point. The opposite is true with epoxy and the reason the failure rate is very high.

I suspected that. Glad I asked. Will CPES act as a bonding agent. Not sure how to assemble the three piece upper frame member on the transom and have to repair the bottom also before re-skinning it.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:43am

Jack, Maybe a few update photos of the upper transom members you are referring to would help.

Regarding the waterproof carpenters glue are you talking about polyurethane like Gorilla Grip? I haven't seen anyone use a water proof carpenter glue anywhere on a wood boat resto yet. IF it where me I would use thickened epoxy if you are laminating anything or 5200 if you are bedding pieces together at a joint. Again, pictures of the repair would be helpful

The problem with not reading back a post or two. My question answered. I am loading more pics today Alan. Thanks for the input.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:46am

Should I thicken with cabosil?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:46am
Jack,
No on the CPES for bonding. It's a sealer and a primer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 12:18pm

Jack,
No on the CPES for bonding. It's a sealer and a primer.

slow on the uptake but i'm getting there. i do have some epoxy left from a fiberglass job. think it will be suitable for the needed repairs and will use the 5200 in the appropriate areas.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:24pm

In my experience, cabosil is a great light-weight filler, but your end product will be super hard(almost unworkable)...if that makes any sense. Milled fiber is another good choice.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:39pm
how many of these were made?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by dochockey dochockey wrote:

how many of these were made?

really wish I had more information. I haven't been able to find a serial plate and can only go by the PO's information and the motor serial number. was told this was a kind of rare hull.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 12:10pm
Although a bit out of order I couldn't arrange to flip the boat quite yet, so, have been repairing the transom to keep my little fingers active.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 1:32pm
Jack,
I suggest putting it all back together with 5200. I'd also replace the transom frame gussets. I replaced them all (complete frame) on my Atom since the ply wasn't in great shape.

Before you get too far, check the aft lifting ring bracket and bolts to make sure they are still sound.

Are you still going to try and salvage the deck ply?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

In my experience, cabosil is a great light-weight filler, but your end product will be super hard(almost unworkable)...if that makes any sense. Milled fiber is another good choice.

Cabosil's sole purpose in life is to make your resin thicker. If you want to add strength to it then milled fibers is the way to go!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Cabosil's sole purpose in life is to make your resin thicker. If you want to add strength to it then milled fibers is the way to go!

Seems like milled fibers would be the best thickening method. Could this be very fine ground sawdust?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:25pm
Jack,
No, milled fibers are basically glass fibers.

Wood flour is one of the fillers used with epoxy but it's VERY low strength, easy to sand and is used for fairing.

Get out of the old days when a carpenter would screw up and us white glue and sawdust as a fix!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:27pm

Jack,
I suggest putting it all back together with 5200. I'd also replace the transom frame gussets. I replaced them all (complete frame) on my Atom since the ply wasn't in great shape.

Before you get too far, check the aft lifting ring bracket and bolts to make sure they are still sound.

Are you still going to try and salvage the deck ply?

I do hope to salvage the deck. it is sound and looks to be glued tok the frames with recourcinol sp? would probably tear frames apart removing it. I isin surprisingly good condition.

The gussets need to b replaced.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:31pm
Actually my goal here is to get a complete bond with as little mess as possible. My thought is to wet out each mating side and clamp them together. Skip the thickeners.

I am referring here to the upper chord on the transom frame which is a composite of three thicknesses.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic