Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Showing my ignorance 4 times in one thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Showing my ignorance 4 times in one thread!
    Posted: July-29-2011 at 2:36am
Ok...so, with me buying the boat of my dreams (literally...I have dreamed about it), I have three questions on things that may need to be addressed.

1. Look at the picture below. See those white lines coming from where the manifold meets the ___________ (is that the 'riser'?). Is that normal, or do the gaskets need to be replaced. Can condensation do that? I didn't notice any 'wetness' during my 3.5 hour test drive/ski.

2 and 3. Look at the picture below. The blue circle is where I'm getting a very, VERY small drip every now and then. Is that normal? Also, the area circled in red...is the shaft supposed to be perfectly balanced? Because when I was test driving the boat, that black rubber hose was shaking ever so slightly, indicating to me that the shaft is barely off balance or not aligned. Should it spin perfectly?

4. The owner told me that when he bought it and test drove it, the trans slipped ONCE when turning sharply right. While doing research in anticipation of replacing the transmission, he read that if that condition occurs, the transmission needs to be overfilled to prevent the trans. pump from drawing nothing. Is that good accurate advice? I can tell you that while on the test drive, the owner made damn-near 90-degree right hand turns at speed and the transmission did not once slip...and the fluid was extremely clean and did not smell burnt.

Thanks for the help guys.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 10:32am
Matt - The stain on the manifold is typical & a sign that the gaskets are nearing the end of their life. Failure isn't imminent but gasket replacement would make a good fall project.

You can get the gaskets from MyCorrectParts.com or SkiDim, they are inexpensive. When you take it apart, cleanup the cast iron surfaces until they are flat (see recent thread on this subject) & use new hardware with antiseize. Running a tap into the holes is a good idea too.

The drip at the stuffing box is normal - it should drip 5-6 times a minute - a good cross cherck is to see if it is getting hot after running a while (hot is bad).

The slight vibration of the hose behind the stuffing box is also normal - mine does this, as I have some shaft runout (bow in shaft). If you can't feel the vibration thru the floor, I would leave that sleeping dog lie. The real test is the alignment check, which you should do.

I will let Eric comment on the ATF overfill.

Have a blast with your new boat!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 10:53am
Oh how I wish my bildge and motor were that clean. My manifolds do the same leaky thing. It has been cosmetic so far as I can tell.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 11:24am
That slip he felt may of been the prop caviation. It may of run out of water to pull through.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 12:44pm
I'll agree with the trans comment, keep it absolutely full or just past that's OK.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 1:14pm
yep, agreed
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 2:51am
To quote Charlie Sheen...I'm "WINNING"!!

All of my concerns are not really concerns at all, just normal inboard stuff.

Why does the prop shaft drip like that? Is it for the same reason that outboards pee out water...so you know everything is being properly cooled?

As for the shaft vibration...the boat is smooth as glass when in motion, so I will take the very good advice and leave that sleeping dog lie!

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm a pretty hands on/mechanical kind of guy, but inboards are a brand new animal to me.

I'm sure there will be more questions to come!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 5:31am
Hey p71 crownvic,
What model did you just buy. It looks really nice in the photos, at least the mechanical parts do. Maybe ill seed you over at the Tiki bar sometime for a GM.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 11:34am
Matt - The shaft packing has a wax rope as the seal material. It is water lubricated & the slight dripping provides that function. I still have not seen full photos of you boat, got lost in that orig link. Please post your money shot!

Ben Franklin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2011 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Hey p71 crownvic,
What model did you just buy. It looks really nice in the photos, at least the mechanical parts do. Maybe ill seed you over at the Tiki bar sometime for a GM.

Heck yeah. I used to work at the Blue Bayou Inn and would remember sitting in the bar after work listening to Greer and his buddy Steve talking about doing something like an outdoor bar. That was way back in '03 and '04. Glad to see they were able to get it done!

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Matt - The shaft packing has a wax rope as the seal material. It is water lubricated & the slight dripping provides that function. I still have not seen full photos of you boat, got lost in that orig link. Please post your money shot!

So that's why there was a slight amount of water in the bilge...I guess I'll have to wipe out the bilge too when I'm done using it as I do NOT want my stringers to rot.

Oh, and you mentioned a pic:

That picture had to have been after he first got it as that little boy in the picture towers over me now....but you get the idea.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2011 at 12:11am
Matt - The stuffing box leakage won't rot your stringers. Just pull the drain plug when it's on the trailer (don't forget to put it back in!).

You found a great boat, it will serve you well for many years & hold it's resale value well.

Ben Franklin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 10:07pm
OK...I have more questions showing my ignorance.

1. Is the throttle supposed to lock in the neutral position like most other boats I have driven? If not, what are the consequences of hitting reverse while moving forward?

2. I read the length of the boat (SN 2001) is 18' 9"...is that with or without the platform?

3. Is a winch needed on the trailer? All I have is a turnbuckle.

4. How do you all secure the back of your 2001 to the trailer? Just one big strap that goes across the back?

5. Where do people tie their anchor? Pylon I assume?

6. when you tie up to a dock, where do you attach the ropes (lifting rings?). Also, where do you tie the bumpers (if you use them?)

7. What is the size of the fuel tank? The previous owner said 25 gallons, while the reference section said 31. I assume the 31 is true.

8. What is the stock trailer tire size (disregard...found it H78X15)

9. What would be some good hand tools to keep on-board?

10. What is the normal gap between the lowest part of a blade on the prop and the trailer? Mine is probably less than 1/4 inch.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 10:36pm
Nice boat Matt. My input to the above questions:
1) Yes it locks. I assume you mean without the pin pulled... It really shouldn't be too sloppy there. It should click in each position. Not a great idea to go from fwd to rev very quickly.

2) I believe the 2001 means it is 20'01" length including the platform, so the 18'9" is w/o the platform.

3) Not needed but would be nice in colder weather or if you can't drive it on the trailer.

4) Most don't but you could put a strap around the transom.

5) You could get cleats or just use the bow eye, lifting rings, or pylon. If you use the pylon, the line would get in the way. If you don't mind drilling into the hull, cleats are the easiest.

6) Cleats, again would be good. But yes, you can use the other points. You can screw in attachments for bumpers to hang from since you really need to get a front bumper further front than it allows you to w/o them. Again, more drilling in the hull.

7) Not sure, I have an 84 2001 and I think it is closer to 30.

9) screw drivers, spark plug socket, rubber gloves, transmission oil, engine oil, adjustable wrench, spare impeller and tools for it...

10) it is pretty close. 1/4 inch seems smaller than I would expect. Someone else will have a better answer for that.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 11:37pm
1. The throttle does NOT lock in the center position. This is an inboard boat and it is supposed to "click" when in the vertical neuetral position. You can inadvertantly put it in gear by getting up out of the drivers seat. If you do need to get up make it a HABIT to pull the knob out below the throttle so if you do hit the throttle you won't put it in gear.

2. The boat is 18'9" and that is without the platform it has nothing to do with 2001 being total length that is false. Here's the link to this very topic    Why it's called a 2001

3. It isn't needed but many do have them.. I added one to mine as it didn't have one.

4. Again not necessary but I do know that some states require a Stern strap. I lash the stern down with ratcheting straps that go around the outer platform brackets and around the trailer frame where the trailer skid attaches to trailer frame.

5. I attach my anchor to the bow eye. Tying an anchor to the pole will cause rope rub on the gelcoat. That's a no-no with my boat.

6. I use a 20 ft rope on both bow and stern lifting rings tying it so that each side has 10 ft. Center your boat between the docks and tie each rope taught so that the boat doesn't rub on the dock. Basically use 4 attach points to keep it centerd in the slip.

Boat bumpers are tricky and you can buy clips that the bumper attaches to that you can slip under the gunnels or use oversiced suction cups. Can tie to pylon to then you have ropes in the way.

7. I would say 25 gallons but check the diaries for psecs on that year 2001.

10. Mine is about an inch. I too agree that 1/4 is cutting it close. I'd check to be sure that the prop guard /trialer skid isn't bent a lil' bit

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

1. The throttle does NOT lock in the center position. This is an inboard boat and it is supposed to "click" when in the vertical neuetral position. You can inadvertantly put it in gear by getting up out of the drivers seat. If you do need to get up make it a HABIT to pull the knob out below the throttle so if you do hit the throttle you won't put it in gear.

2. The boat is 18'9" and that is without the platform it has nothing to do with 2001 being total length that is false. Here's the link to this very topic    Why it's called a 2001

3. It isn't needed but many do have them.. I added one to mine as it didn't have one.

4. Again not necessary but I do know that some states require a Stern strap. I lash the stern down with ratcheting straps that go around the outer platform brackets and around the trailer frame where the trailer skid attaches to trailer frame.

That boat next to your in the pic it has those bumper thingys that guy must be a novice

5. I attach my anchor to the bow eye. Tying an anchor to the pole will cause rope rub on the gelcoat. That's a no-no with my boat.

6. I use a 20 ft rope on both bow and stern lifting rings tying it so that each side has 10 ft. Center your boat between the docks and tie each rope taught so that the boat doesn't rub on the dock. Basically use 4 attach points to keep it centerd in the slip.

Boat bumpers are tricky and you can buy clips that the bumper attaches to that you can slip under the gunnels or use oversiced suction cups. Can tie to pylon to then you have ropes in the way.

7. I would say 25 gallons but check the diaries for psecs on that year 2001.

10. Mine is about an inch. I too agree that 1/4 is cutting it close. I'd check to be sure that the prop guard /trialer skid isn't bent a lil' bit

76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 12:24am
WOW Matt,
You may be ignorant but, you did prove yourself to be lazy!!

Hey, to prove to all off us that you do have some mental capacity, what you need to do is get used to the site some. The reference section has literary tons of info in it and the sites search feature is fantastic!!

I'm sure glad that other members took care of your questions!!

et back to us if you don't understand any of the answers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 12:50am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

WOW Matt,
You may be ignorant but, you did prove yourself to be lazy!!

Hey, to prove to all off use that you do have some mental capacity, what you need to fo is get used to the site some. The reference section has literary tons of info in it and the sites search feature is fantastic!!

I'm sure glad that other members took care of your questions!!

I may be lazy...but at least I have proper grammar and spelling!!!!!

J/K

I just wanted to see what the actual owners of the boats do. This is a site where the much more seasoned people help the nOObs.

My boat DOES have an aftermarket prop on it...so that may be why it's so close.

Thank you all who helped...and thank you to the heckler!!!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 1:31am
The further forward the boat is on the trailer. The closer the prop gets to the prop guard.

I have changed the forward support of the prop guard to remedy that situation.

The search engine can be a problem on this site. I use the Google search feature but limit it to the CCfan domain. It is faster and has less hang stall type problems. It also helps the forum to run faster for everyone else while you are searching.

BEFORE

AFTER

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 11:44am
Another easy solution would be to put some washers in the attachmentjoint between the prop guard & rea corners of the trailer channels. This would drop it down.

Ben Franklin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 2:00pm
That's a good idea. I'll look into that when I get it. Thanks!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 3:39pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2011 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

6.) This is how I hang my fenders:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18388

Awesome!!! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks man!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2011 at 2:12am
Your new boat is very attractive!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2011 at 12:02pm
No problem
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 1:01am
Ok...three more questions...and before anyone gets their undies in a bunch...I did indeed use the search feature before asking.

Anyway, here goes:

1. Is there a good way to strap the back of the boat to the trailer? I really don't want to run a strap over the top of the boat across the back as the strap digs into the rub rail. I have to do something though as the boat shifted quite a bit during my 4 hour drive today.

2. Should the boat be snug to the bow stops? The previous owner kept the boat a inch or so off the bow stops to prevent rubbing.

3. Is there a trick to get these boats centered on the trailer? Or do you just get it on and give it a shove to either side.

Again, pardon my ignorance...but inboards are completely new animals to me. You should have seen how incapable I am of docking my new boat.   didn't hit anything, but I felt like a 15 year old trying to get his first bra off. I eventually did it, but not after a bunch of yelling, fumbling around, and being nervous as a cat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 8:59am
Matt,
1. Mark with his set up strapping off to the swim brackets is pretty typical.

I do use one of the gunnel straps on all my boats but have them padded. The corner pad is commercially available (McMaster) but I glued a felt backing to them. Even on the varnished deck, they work great.

2. Many will leave the boat back from the bow stop to try to prevent the rubbing during the bouncing. However, on a longer trip, the boat will find it's way forward anyway. A load on a trailer always wants to move forward. The solution is to add a keel roller to stop the bouncing. (lower left corner of picture)

3. Play around with how deep you set the trailer in the water. The boat should center itself. BTW, the addition of a keel roller really aids in getting the boat on the trailer. It centers the boat but more importantly brings the bow of the boat up so the hull matches the angle of the trailer in the water better. The addition of a winch is also something you may want to consider. I'm not a big fan of power loading and in fact, it's banned at many ramps.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 10:20am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

6.) This is how I hang my fenders:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18388

Awesome!!! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks man!

Wont work with your combing pads on the sides.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 10:36am
Matt - To add some more insight - sometimes my boat will end up off-center on the trailer (we found that having the boat driver sit dead center for pull out minimizes this). When it is off-center, after a few road bumps the boat will center itself on the trailer.

I use a gunnel strap, no pads, haven't had a scratch yet.

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 12:06pm
As far as docking goes. Slow and steady wins the race. You can't use power as accurately for last minute corrections, so the slower you come in the better.

Another point is that inboards don't really steer in reverse... well they do but the boat needs to get some momentum going backwards before the rudder will do anything at all.

But, all inboards will tend to "prop-walk" one way or another in reverse. Which means they have a tendancy to pull to one side. A particular boat will always pull to the same side. Most Correct Crafts will pull the stern to Port while reversing. It is dependent on the rotation of the prop.

While you are far away from the boat, practice reversing. The prop-walk in reverse will often be eggagerated if the boat has a lot of forward momentum. So, pull towards the dock with your bow pointing at it slightly, and stern away. Then, when you put it in reverse the stern will pull in.

There are some videos out there for it if you do a google search as well.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2011 at 1:53pm
Again, thanks for all of the replies. I have this week to play around with it and practice the small stuff. Lots to learn...

BTW...I need some reassurance. With the full tank of fuel, the water is just touching the underside of the platform. Would the experts say that is a good sign that the foam is NOT saturated?

The stringer/foam issues still make me very nervous. I still have a chance to back out of this deal. I must make sure that I'm getting a solid boat. What do you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic