Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tightning the drive shaft seal...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tightning the drive shaft seal...
    Posted: August-09-2005 at 10:08pm
I've never needed to tighten it before because it hasn't ever leaked up untill about a week and a half ago. I haven't messed with it yet b/c I haven't located a 2 inch open ended wrench, but when I do what will I need to do to keep the shaft still while I tighten the bolt?

Thanks!
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2005 at 11:55pm
You don't need to keep the shaft still. You DO need to have two large wrenches - one to hold the packing nut and one to loosten the jamb nut. Then, use one to hold the shaft log and one to tighten the packing nut. Then, use one to hold the packing nut and one to tighten the jamb nut. I use two pipe wrenches.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 5:07am
I use pipe wrenches also or sometimes one pip wrench and a big ol set of channellock pliers.
Bob Ed
83 2001
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 7:07am
If you use channel locks, you might wanna use a rag to protect the nut from nuts from getting all "mauled" up.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

If you use channel locks, you might wanna use a rag to protect the nut from nuts from getting all "mauled" up.
That's why I've been lookin for a 2inch open ended. It's real soft and I wanna keep it lookin nice.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 2:55pm
You need good old fashioned "monkey wrenches" or maybe they were called plumbers wrenches. They are sort of cross between a pipe wrench and "crescent" wrench. They have smooth jaws.

I personally use a large adjustable wrench and a pipe wrench. the brass is hard enough to handle it will minimal marks.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 4:06pm
Monkey wrenches are best. Monkey wrenches look like pipe wrenches except they have smooth straight jaws. They won't work on pipes though, take my word for it.

I use the same combo DavidF uses - just because that is what is in my toolbox.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 4:37pm
The channel-locks won't mess up the nuts. You don't have to use a ton of force to loosen or tighten.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 6:39pm
A friend of mine let me borrow a 2 inch open end from his grandpa's shop. (they have tractors and stuff). I used that and a pair of channel locks with a cloth around the channel locks. I'm about to head to the lake as soon as the others arive, we'll see how it works!

Thanks guys!
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 9:46pm
Well, it didn't work as well as I had hoped. A mechanic I talked to last week told me I may need to get a new wax rope in there considering the age. I may try that next. Or just get one of those PSS dealies! hehe. Untill then, it makes a nice ballast for wakeboarding.
And I have a great bilge pump! hehe
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 11:34pm
Get the GFO packing from skidim.com. It's great. You can tighten it to where it doesn't drip at all and still not have the shaft and box heat up.

Supposedly, the stuff is so slick that there is very little friction and what heat does get generated is efficiently dissipated through the packing material which I guess is not possible with waxed flax.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2005 at 2:12am
Interesting. So it is installed the same as the wax rope, except that it doesn't have to drip?
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2006 at 10:20pm
On an 88 SN 2001, what size Gore-Tex GFO packing do we need for the shaft packing... 1/4" or 3/16"? How about for the rudder packing?
Thanks
Kurt
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2006 at 1:03pm
I'll second the Gore-tex GFO packing, did it at end of the summer. Slightly more than hand tight on the jamb nut and your done. I believe it was the 3/16 for the shaft. Just call SKIDIM.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2006 at 2:21pm
Surroundsound, West marine has a "packing nut wrench" that is made for shaft packing nuts. It is adjustable to fit any size shaft. Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
new86owner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new86owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2006 at 11:49am
I just measured on my 86 2001 and it takes 1/4" packing for the driveshaft. I ordered it from Skidim, so hopefully I'll have it installed next week.

Oh, and I used channellocks to remove the nut. It wasn't very tight at all, so it came right off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic