NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Property Lines/Neighbors

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 8:31pm
you might also check in with your title company ( if you had title insurance) to see what the legal description of your property is and when it was surveyed last.   you might be able to reengage the original surveyor much cheaper than getting a new survey.   Your local realtor might have some ideas for you also.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 12:59pm
I am a firm beliver in fences !! Keep the idiots out and let them KNOW where your property is !
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

I am a firm beliver in fences !! Keep the idiots out and let them KNOW where your property is !

This is true except when your neighbor puts a fence up on your property!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 7:44pm
That is why you do it first
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

You'd better re-think that survey now....   In realestate law, there is such a thing as a hostile take over... if your neighbor improves on your land and you don't do anything about it, he will own it after a certain period of time.    It's called "Adverse Posession". also, if the contractor uses your property as an easment, if you don't request that the easment be on your neighbor's property, the easment can become permanent also.     Yikes... I guess the saying stands that good fences make good neighbors.

In Michigan, it takes 15 years of maintaining a property to claim Adverse Possession. And even after that, it is very difficult to uphold.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 9:34pm
I think adverse possession law in Washington is only 10 years, and is marked by a 1 time "improvement", or consistant use that has been unrestricted. Trees or fences here are considered improvements, so it's pretty important to make sure that you know where your property is when your neighbors start planting fruit trees, or putting in play structures.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 10:47pm
I am for the survey. Bad neighbors are still bad neighbors even behind a good fence. I once paid 5 or 6 kids to pick goat heads and gave them each a bucket. I racked them on some old window screens and dried them. The next spring I put them in a broadcast spreader and applied to neighbors river rock front yard that they drove thru my drive and yard to install.

I think I got about 90% germination!

Cya Bob
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2012 at 11:51pm
I don't know how long the statute of limitations is, but a contractor once cut down a tree that was about half on a lot I owned at the time. I sued and collected. It was a good experience and I didn't mind the settlement money either.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

You'd better re-think that survey now....   In realestate law, there is such a thing as a hostile take over... if your neighbor improves on your land and you don't do anything about it, he will own it after a certain period of time.    It's called "Adverse Posession". also, if the contractor uses your property as an easment, if you don't request that the easment be on your neighbor's property, the easment can become permanent also.     Yikes... I guess the saying stands that good fences make good neighbors.

This is good advice.

My grandma just went through a property line issue with her loud-mouth neighbor at her property in Northern Wisconsin. Waterfront property is highly expensive and worth protecting. You NEVER want to give up an INCH of it. Here is what my grandma was faced with:

As you can see (kinda) the two fence posts represent the property line. If you follow that line into the water, you can see that a large portion of their pier is on my grandma's frontage (including the entire thing at the end). Then, they would park their pontoon boat next to the pier...so the entire pontoon was on her frontage.

Needless to say this didn't fly with her. She first asked them to move it, to which they swore at her and basically told her to buzz off. So, she had that line surveyed. To verify the location of one lot marker they had to find two other lot markers. This cost over $800.00. BUT, once it was done, we had legal proof that they were violating the lot line...and had sufficient right to do this:

It was a lot of money...but Granny is very happy she had the survey done...because now there is a legal record that they are in violation of her lot line...

And sorry for the huge pics...
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2012 at 3:01am
Start here, start clicking links, and you'll be amazed with what can be found about your property. i don't know how old your property is, but with google earth and gps, a lot of exact info can be found just by searching.
-Adam

1973 Skier
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2012 at 11:07am
Adverse posession probably varies from state to state, but in Maine, if you allow someone to use your property, it can't be taken by adverse possesion. They have to use it against your will.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 9:21pm
NABS..............I have one from hell.lol I had cams placed all around the property... The guy is a strange dude, Married with a kid,, his wife and kid are nice.. He , well lets just say if he steps one foot on my property--- He is going to jail on felony charges... WORD<< TRUTH...

He is a real jerk off, bully type, My brother was about ready to break both his legs and arms...

LOVE MY CAMS........ well worth the money...... PRICELESS... I nailed that C_____________K>>>>SUCKER!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 9:33pm
If they have metal tube like spikes, driven into the ground?

THEN get a metal detector... I have had the same promlem with my NAB.

He Pulled all the wood markers up after I had it done,,That is only the start of my problems with this FOOL!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 10:15pm
this is getting weird
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 10:25pm
Yes, it will only be the begining. My advice is dont let it consume you. There is 'that guy' on every lake.

Speaking of Cams. Ours has a guy who puts up trail cams to "catch" the neighbors using an old county road runs along his property down to the lake front. Families have used this road since the lake was made. He is just one of those guys where the best part of him is flushed every morning.

For sh*ts and giggles ever few weeks, my brother and I go over and remove the flash cards from the cameras. We take them home and load them up with the internets most god awful and worst REMOVEography. Then we replace them.

He now has cameras watching his cameras now. We get those too.

I cannot even imaging the conversation he has with the police showing them his "evidence" that someone keeps messed with his cameras.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 11:49pm
That is REALLY funny!!!! You made my day and made me laugh quite hard
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 1:03am
If you have a printed survey map, it will have everything marked and will have a legend of what is in the ground (pipe, pin, nail, etc). Survey map should be filed. In NY you can obtain copies from the real property office at the county clerks office. If you are doing investigative research, you can also get you neighbor's map. It's all public information. When I used to survey, if there was not already a corner marker, we set new ones. What is visible is the little plastic cap with the surveyors name. What you can't see is the 3' length of 1/2" rebar that is driven into the ground. Lake property we always marked at the high water point.

David
86 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic