NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!? 351w wont start warm!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!? 351w wont start warm!
    Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Teddeee1981 Teddeee1981 wrote:

I have to batteries now, and will install the second one tonight. Hopefully that will get the coil the voltage it needs at start up.

PS. Is the wire from the starter relay a bad idea?

Ted,
It's not a "bad" idea by why do you feel it's needed? PCM never thought it was needed! Find the problem and fix it. Don't forget to get some voltage readings so the problem can be located.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Teddeee1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddeee1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 2:12pm
I'll be working on this tonight.

I have to batteries now, and will install the second one tonight. Hopefully that will get the coil the voltage it needs at start up.

Will keep you posted.

PS. Is the wire from the starter relay a bad idea?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ted,
That 12 volt "kick start" wire off the starter relay is how we ID intruders from the MC sight!!

BTW, where have you been reading about that?

I realize PCM doesn't have this, but what does this function do? Just give a hotter spark for start up?

The concept is it compensates for a voltage drop encountered from the high load of the starter when cranking the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 12:32pm

Ted,
That 12 volt "kick start" wire off the starter relay is how we ID intruders from the MC sight!!

I realize PCM doesn't have this, but what does this function do? Just give a hotter spark for start up?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 8:59am

How is the coil supposed to get 12 volts still going through the resistor?
I know there something im missing here...

Ted,
First, as Tim mentioned, PCM does not use the 12 volts to the coil when cranking. Keep looking for a voltage drop with the meter.

The 12 volt to the coil when cranking is really pretty simple. With the start relay energized, the power to the coil comes from it and is 12 volts. After the engine starts, power to the coil comes from the key ignition switch (run position) goes through the resistor and ends up at the coil at about 9 volts.

BTW, instead of looking at automotive wiring diagrams, take a look in the engine manuals in the ref section. They have wiring diagrams. Very similar to auto but some small differences. Here's one:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddeee1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 3:25am
Here is the diagram, as you can see it's for a '56 Ford which i know my boat is not. However, this setup makes sense to me.

How is the coil supposed to get 12 volts still going through the resistor?
I know there something im missing here...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddeee1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 11:56pm
LOL NO WAY was i on an MC site!

My nautique is my first boat and will be with me forever!

I googled Coil resistor. Came on to a car site. There was a diagram of what it should look like (or at least what someone believes it should look like).

I took a picture of the screen with my cell. I will post it when i get home see what you think.

You've all been very helpful. I really appreciate it.

Teddy

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 8:48pm
Ted,

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 7:36pm

i read somewhere that there should be a wire running from the starter relay to the coil side of the ballast.
Is that true? mine does not have that.

That is not the standard PCM set up, no.

Indmar did that though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddeee1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2011 at 7:35pm
i read somewhere that there should be a wire running from the starter relay to the coil side of the ballast.
Is that true? mine does not have that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddeee1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 5:59am
Got it. Will test some more this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Thanks again.
Teddy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 8:58am

The boat came with a battery, i have replaced the battery with a new one (same one though)
It is a marine battery. I believe it is a deep cycle. Not a hundred percent though. I will look again next weekend.

What battery would you recommend?

With a proper battery you think the coil will get the voltage it needs?

Ted,
The only basic difference between a marine and automotive starting battery is the addition of threaded studs on the marine. Most likely you have the lug type battery terminal on the cables so a automotive is fine. Most here run them plus you won't pay for the extra "marine".

Without getting some voltage readings, it's hard to say if the low voltage you are getting is the battery. Even old ignition key switches can be a issue with burnt contacts with resistance that will drop voltage. Tracing voltage during cranking from the battery all the way to the starter and the coil would give you a idea of what's going on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddeee1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 1:33am
The boat came with a battery, i have replaced the battery with a new one (same one though)
It is a marine battery. I believe it is a deep cycle. Not a hundred percent though. I will look again next weekend.

What battery would you recommend?

With a proper battery you think the coil will get the voltage it needs?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 10:22pm

I believe i AM running a deep cycle battery.
Would that be no good?

Im going to test that third wire, maybe it is connected to the ignition switch and should be on the other side of the ballast...

Bad on the deep cycle. You are starting a engine and not running a trolling motor. Sorry, but some do make this mistake. Deep cycle: Low amp draw for extended periods of time. Starting: High amp draw for a short time. How did you end up with the deep cycle?

As mentioned, get some voltage readings. A deep cycle will have a BIG voltage drop with a high amp load like starting. They do not like it!!!!

The "load" side of the ballast resistor goes to the coil. The "line" side of the resistor would also go to the electric choke and if you have a electronic point conversion, to the distributor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 10:07pm
voltage drops when hot...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddeee1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 9:57pm
So on one side it's 3 wires.
Power
One goes to the distributer
and one goes to the electric choke.

The other side had only the one wire going to the coil.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddeee1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 9:44pm
I believe i AM running a deep cycle battery.
Would that be no good?

Im going to test that third wire, maybe it is connected to the ignition switch and should be on the other side of the ballast...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 8:58pm
Ted,
Your friend may want to buy you a coil for a spare! The ballast resistor is there to lower the voltage to about 9 volts. The 6 to 8 is on the low side so you want to get some volt readings and see where you are getting a voltage drop.

You aren't by chance running a deep cycle battery in the boat??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddeee1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 8:27pm
PROBLEM SOLVED!

For now anyway! lol

It was a ballast that runs a wire to the coil.
For some reason it was only running between 6 and 8 volts at start up.
On one side there was three wires. One running to the distributer, one being the power, and one im not sure about. On the other side there was only one wire. It was running to the coil. I always assumed i should leave it, so it doesn't burn out the coil. but a friend mine insisted it won't burn the coil out with 12 volts running to it constantly.

My theory is on the water there was more load, more fuel. Not enough spark.

On land, there was enough spark to get it going.

Thoughts? PS i currently have a different carb all together on it. The same problem happened when i took it out.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 10:53am
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

One thing i haven't thought of at all is the exhaust manifolds. For all i know they are the originals.

I should replace them. Could this really be the problem though?

I don't think the exhaust manifolds would have anything to do with the problem you describe. Very old manifolds may start leaking at the gaskets or develop cracks/leaks but those problems would not give the troubles with hot starts you describe.

I agree.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 10:49am

One thing i haven't thought of at all is the exhaust manifolds. For all i know they are the originals.

I don't think the exhaust manifolds would have anything to do with the problem you describe. Very old manifolds may start leaking at the gaskets or develop cracks/leaks but those problems would not give the troubles with hot starts you describe.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddeee1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2011 at 5:16am

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 5:47pm
thats for sure..when I rebuilt my carb along with the engine, It was almost I month until I got it running fine, I had problem with leaking after shut off, iddle, etc. Major problem was a vacuum leak between carb base and performer intake I put there, solved it a spread to square bore base adaptor from summit...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 11:37am

Thanks Guys!
The carb is off. I'll be taking it in this weekend. Im also going to see if there's a spare around that i can test. See if it is indeed the problem.

I have come to one conclusion for sure. These 4 barrel carbs either run perfect or if not re-built correctly they run crappy..I am gonna have to have mine rechecked, I think mine was rebuilt wrong.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddeee1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2011 at 6:21am
Thanks Guys!
The carb is off. I'll be taking it in this weekend. Im also going to see if there's a spare around that i can test. See if it is indeed the problem.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Do 74's have anything at all in the way of relays that could affect this?

I know anything electrical can be less conductive when hot. Hence starter motors always acting up more when a car is fully warmed.

Brian,
The only relay would be the start relay (solenoid). They do go bad but usually from other causes. Low voltage from a bad battery, poor battery connections and bad/undersized cables are typical. The low voltage causes high amperage (Ohms law) that the start relay can't handle. It welds the contacts inside together or burns them to the point that not much get's through them. I do not feel this is the problem on this boat. He does say it does crank (turn over). You may be thinking about the injected engines with the small relays for the fuel pumps that go bad.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 3:07am
Do 74's have anything at all in the way of relays that could affect this?

I know anything electrical can be less conductive when hot. Hence starter motors always acting up more when a car is fully warmed.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 3:05am

I remember a post several years ago from one of our past members that has what I consider very good engine skills. He stated (in his very "frank" terminology), that marine engines do not vapor lock. The reason being is they do not see the heat under the dog house like a automotive engine sees under it's hood. I happen to agree with him. I have never see a marine engine vapor locked.

I think I had stumble acrross this kit from SkiDim and that's what gave me the idea:
Vapor lock kit Looks like this kit replaces the single pump with a push/pull setup. It's funny that it's for Indmar, as a guy on my lake was having trouble with a Malibu when it was hot. Of course, his was cutting out while under way... a little different issue.

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2011 at 12:50am
Have you checked the exhaust manifolds for leaks? They could be leaking water into the motor and keeping it from firing up. Water won't compress and slower cranking is a sign.
Tim D
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2011 at 9:57pm
I am sure someone will correct me but... I think timming is the timming of the spark to create igniton fire. too soon and half burn't gas and back fire too late ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic