NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starflite Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starflite Rebuild
    Posted: February-07-2011 at 8:27pm
Well now we have had the engine running its time to strip her down ready to rebuild the hull.
Engine out

Clean out to see whats good and the bad.

A 1957 oops

every inch was used

Off the trailer

flipping over

Engine on a stand as it was in the boat
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2011 at 8:30pm
Not to undermine the rest of the restorers and rebuilderso on this site but for many reasons this thread should be linked to the definition of "ambition".

Roger, was that you I bumped into at the grocery store in Green Lake last year?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2011 at 8:46pm
Holy smokes, Roger! That's got to be a site record for a boat needing the most work.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2011 at 8:57pm
I feel better already!!
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2011 at 10:07pm
Just keep going Roger!!

You know a true CC restoration would include the use of the good old "finishing" hatchet!! Better sharpen it up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 4:56am
Roger,

You managed to redifine the word "project boat" all together... What an adventure this is gonna be! Keep posting pics of every step of the way, cause this is one thread that is gonna be in my category of "threads-with-my-morning-coffee".

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 3:37pm
WOW that is a nice project..making a boat out of some nice firewood...
keep the pictures comming Roger..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 4:56pm
Wow Roger! Ambitious. Good luck with it. Question to Pete or Alan or whoever. How little of a boat can remain for it to be considered a restoration? I was telling my sister about Alan's project and she asked the question. Best I can tell from Alan's project most of the frame and the hardware will be the only original pieces. If its not a restoration, is there another term or are they all restorations, as long as some of the original boat is there. When does it become, I built a new boat but used some salvaged pieces from another one?
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 5:00pm
Larry I have wondered the same thing. Seems like sometimes the original is just there for a template.

Cool project Roger. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Did you have her shipped over? Whats the story on how you got it?
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 5:31pm
Larry/Keegan,

I think Rogers boat is a true pattern boat where the Hurricane other than a few frame members is a pretty basic re-skin. New bottom and topsides are a pretty common restoration and of course you will always uncover some rotted areas that need repair in the process. I think you could classify the Hurricane as a restoration and the Starflite as a reproduction as there will be very little if any framework reused.

Pete could have more insight as to what is the accepted practice.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 8:42am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Wow Roger! Ambitious. Good luck with it. Question to Pete or Alan or whoever. How little of a boat can remain for it to be considered a restoration? I was telling my sister about Alan's project and she asked the question. Best I can tell from Alan's project most of the frame and the hardware will be the only original pieces. If its not a restoration, is there another term or are they all restorations, as long as some of the original boat is there. When does it become, I built a new boat but used some salvaged pieces from another one?

Larry,
The current ACBS rules state you must have some of the original wood to call the boat restored and to be considered the same hull. Hardware and the engine are judged by the point system so if original there wouldn't be a deduction.

A "reproduction" would be completely new wood and ether reproduced hardware or off another boat.

Looking at Rogers project, there's plenty of wood that can be reused such as stringers, some frames and interior trim so it would be judged as a original.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 10:26am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

A "reproduction" would be completely new wood and ether reproduced hardware or off another boat.

Looking at Rogers project, there's plenty of wood that can be reused such as stringers, some frames and interior trim so it would be judged as a original.

Thanks Pete,

Roger did I hear through the grapevine you have plans for 2 boats out of this venture, Reproduce a brand new one and restore the original?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 10:31am
Pete,   couple years ago we saw that triple cockpit Chris being built at one of the ACBS meetings. The only original wood on that was the stringers, would that still be considered a restored boat? He did use the original drvetrain, Don't remember where the hardware came from.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 10:31am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Roger did I hear through the grapevine you have plans for 2 boats out of this venture, Reproduce a brand new one and restore the original?

I seem to have heard the same! Roger needs someplace to put that Y block!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Not to undermine the rest of the restorers and rebuilderso on this site but for many reasons this thread should be linked to the definition of "ambition".

Roger, was that you I bumped into at the grocery store in Green Lake last year?

Kevin, Thanks for the nod, yes she is bad but should make it easy for others to show there projects on here, as I'm sure most will be in better condition.

I don't think we met at GL but could be wrong as there were so much going on, but I did see the Caddy at the Golf Club.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Holy smokes, Roger! That's got to be a site record for a boat needing the most work.

Bruce, I'm sure it will be a journey for all of us, lots of up and downs, thanks Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 11:43am

I feel better already!!

Alan I would be happy to swap boats you know you won't to do it all again.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 11:53am

Just keep going Roger!!

You know a true CC restoration would include the use of the good old "finishing" hatchet!! Better sharpen it up.

Pete, My dad who is 83 can't wait to start on it, as an old joiner himself he has brought in his dads adzes.

He tells me your only good with one if you can hit the edge of a sixpence under your foot, so look out for my foot in a big bandage
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Roger,

You managed to redifine the word "project boat" all together... What an adventure this is gonna be! Keep posting pics of every step of the way, cause this is one thread that is gonna be in my category of "threads-with-my-morning-coffee".

Kristof, Best get a real big jar of coffee, its going to take some time
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

WOW that is a nice project..making a boat out of some nice firewood...
keep the pictures comming Roger..

Sebastion,Thats just what my two brothers said just need to keep it away from our firewood pile
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Larry, Thanks for the good luck I'm going to need it. and a good question one that we can debate on and on just like foam or no foam.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 12:32pm
Roger, I think it's great to see a boat like that restored! No doubt, it will be way better than new. Have you ever received any emails from me?
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Larry I have wondered the same thing. Seems like sometimes the original is just there for a template.

Cool project Roger. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Did you have her shipped over? Whats the story on how you got it?

Keegan here are the other parts of the story and yes found it on the internet and shipped it over all from my desk here in the UK I have a lot of good people to thank to get to this stage.

Engine Running
Engine built by Billy (Boat Dr)
Shipping
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 12:49pm

Thanks Pete,

Alain,Pete yes I will try to make a copy of the rebuild/restored boat with the hope I can repatriate one to use at reunions.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Roger, I think it's great to see a boat like that restored! No doubt, it will be way better than new. Have you ever received any emails from me?

Hi Bruce, No Emails try Roger.England@Englandbro.co.uk

Cheers Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 2:26pm
Roger, as I near the finish of the Collegian,and you , just starting on the Star Flite,sends me back in time. So pleased that I got to play a major role in the resto of another of these wooden classics.
Keep the pics coming, I wish I could post more of my little project.........Boat dr
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2011 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Roger, as I near the finish of the Collegian,and you , just starting on the Star Flite,sends me back in time. So pleased that I got to play a major role in the resto of another of these wooden classics.
Keep the pics coming, I wish I could post more of my little project.........Boat dr

Billy, I don't think we are finished yet, Please start a thread of your Collegian or post a picture as a tease, as you have a real show stopper of a boat, not like my old tub.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 6:58pm
The Epoxy supplier I have been using has a Epoxy for wood bonding/glassing onto which he tells me can be diluted to make CPES, just need to buy this extra component to add when I need CPES has any one used this, he said he sell it to wood boat builders.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 7:07pm
Roger, you may want to give this a read:

Home Brew CPES

As a temporary fix on my sister's mushy stringer in her Mustang, we poured in a good amount of resin thinned with xylene. Once it cured, we followed up with thickened resin. That was enough to hold the motor in for the last month of summer... and theyre actually going to push it one more year!

Im going to use a similar concoction on the fir stringers going in my Skier.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2011 at 8:41pm
Thanks Tim just what I needed
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic