NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starflite Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2011 at 10:23pm
Striped off the fiberglass on the bottom, some rot but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2011 at 4:01pm
Ran this test out last week looks like it works scanning the hull into cad, with this I hope to pick off my CNC parts and have a full 3D cad record of a Starflite.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2011 at 6:14pm
I saw that scanner at the IMTS show in Chicago last fall. It's really neat. Let us see the final CAD image it generates!
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2011 at 7:05pm
wow..state of the art at its maximum!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2011 at 10:54pm
Roger,

That is cheating.

Donald
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2011 at 11:28pm
What a cool thing to have. Now you can put it into a video game!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2011 at 2:17am
Guys just keep an eye on it and let me know if it starts to look like a Sub as he scans military parts too.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2011 at 2:28am
In its current condition it would not take much to make it go underwater, the trick will be to make it stay on top.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2011 at 2:31am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

In its current condition it would not take much to make it go underwater, the trick will be to make it stay on top.

fair point
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 7:03pm
Been checking out the hull shape on mine and found that the strut has moved a one point along with the back engine blocks which have wood dowels to fill the first holes in the stringers, it sure looks like it was done in the factory I'm thinking mine could be one of the first made in 57 as the vinyl is date stamped 56 and if the numbers on the head are the cast date again late 56 with the infill made to raise the tank on the stringers seem to be a lot of adjustments or it's a late shift Friday boat.

Check out how much mine has shrunk in 2 weeks after I stripped off the fiberglass have gaps of 1.5 to 2.5mm and its still wet in parts, I can see daylight through the hull and some of the canvas.

Also found that frames 2,3,4 are cut an inch wider so the stringers are sprung out, I like to think its so it keeps pulling in the hull at that point as the framing is real thin there, so my stringers are 21,1/2 inches apart from frame 2,3,4 then its 20,1/2 inches down the rest of the boat.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2011 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Dave,
Remember that wood floats! No need for foam ether!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2011 at 6:00am
Pete, It is just hard to appreciate the beauty of a wood boat when the only thing above the waterline is the windshield and stern light. I have complete confidence that Roger will have that thing bobing on top of the water and shining in the sunlight better than the day it came from the factory.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 10:06pm
Tried out making up my own Ceps, like Tim using normal epoxy with its diluant-thinners ( xylene methanol ) recommend max mix 1 epoxy to .5 thinner volume makes it like water.
Did a test on some construction mahogany veneer 2mm thick, coated up one side to see how well it soaked through, looks like it works well and works out around 1/3 the cost of ready tinned ceps here.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 10:29pm
Roger,
I think you need to reduce it farther. With one coat, the CPES wouldn't have sat on the surface and would have completely soaked in. Also with 2mm and the Mahogany being a open grain, I would expect to see more on the backside. I don't think it would take very much more solvent though.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Roger,
I think you need to reduce it farther. With one coat, the CPES wouldn't have sat on the surface and would have completely soaked in. Also with 2mm and the Mahogany being a open grain, I would expect to see more on the backside. I don't think it would take very much more solvent though.

Will do Pete and see what happens
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2011 at 11:22pm
Roger,

Have you tried West Systems? I get better penetration than your picture using West as long as I use the correct temp hardener, with no thinners.

Jack
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 1:44am
Roger another ineresting thread to follow
Glad to see you made it to the SJRR.
Making 2 Starflites are you going to have a His and Hers???
Keep the pictures coming. Monty
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 9:03am
Originally posted by wingwrench wingwrench wrote:

Roger,

Have you tried West Systems? I get better penetration than your picture using West as long as I use the correct temp hardener, with no thinners.

Jack

Jack,
Take a look at where Roger is located. He's using epoxies made over there and the CPES equal is very expensive.

Speaking of expensive, the same is true with West here. It's the highest priced of any.

Also, no matter what epoxy and hardener combination you use, it will not take the place of CPES.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 9:44am
Pete,

I checked before I posted. http://www.wessex-resins.com/westsystem/uk-distributors.html

Jack
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 10:17am

Pete,

I checked before I posted. http://www.wessex-resins.com/westsystem/uk-distributors.html

Jack

Jack,
You need to go back farther in time with Rogers posts. He's been through all the research on epoxies available in the UK. As mentioned, West over here is the highest cost of any and the same is true over there only worse!!

Also note again that West does not make a product equal to CPES. Plus, unless the new owners of West have changed their recommendations, the Gougeon Brothers always stated that their epoxies should never be reduced.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 5:32pm

Roger,

Jack

Hi Jack

I gave west ago today using 105&207 unthinned its 24C here today to see how it compared,no luck with it,west was the first epoxy I used and its very good but the cost is the killer here its made here in the UK
under license but I save around $565.76 on a 43kg tub

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 6:18pm
Have run a new test like Pete and the Tec call from Louisiana (Billy)said, much better soaking through needed to add allot more thinner to wash the epoxy in don't be shy with the thinner.

I have coated up 5 bits to see if I can then epoxy all together in a press with fiberglass cloth in-between to give me a strong ply for my joint plates each side of the frames.
Have gone for letting the Ceps dry over night and then bond together so I don't trap thinner in the ply.
I will be good to see how strong the ply is, should come out around 1/2 thick.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 7:11pm
Be careful with the "atta boys" Roger, When I first through out the idea of "redneck" cpes, it did not go over well.I did it more out of cost than "going by the book" of acceptable products.The final results were more than CC would have ever used...
I used about 5 gals total, mixed at 4 to 1 ratio. While this seems quite thin, you get the added "high" to make the next coat not seem too bad
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 8:05pm
Billy its the cost here that drives me to find out about Ceps 5L tins cost around $170.00 so I'm looking at $680.00 to do 5 US gals or using my type of epoxy which they say you can thin, I have used there thinner and it works out at $49.00 gal plus I only use the epoxy/thinner mix I need and left with epoxy for other things and may have the odd bit of thinner left.
Good to talked with you Billy, there is hype around Ceps to sell it your right about the "high" floating home tonight what worries me I quite like the smell
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Be careful with the "atta boys" Roger, When I first through out the idea of "redneck" cpes, it did not go over well

Yes, it didn't go over very well but you used that "red neck" thinner you had sitting around in the 5 gal bucket!! Roger's using the fancy stuff!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 9:01pm
Karen knew when I came thru the door, that odor seems to settle into your clothes..Stip off now, or do not come in,,,,,,,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 9:03pm
Roger,
Looks like you've getting it now! I wouldn't be afraid to even reduce it some more.

BTW, the smell never bothered me ether but I've always had quite a resistance to solvent odors.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 9:15pm
Roger, Kudos on the cpes alternative but the plywood layup schedule is overkill no? That's one heck of a knee brace you're building there.

And now just because I'm bored I'll throw this out there. You're going to fasten those new knee braces with a flexible adhesive and not hard epoxy right?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 9:17pm

Be careful with the "atta boys" Roger, When I first through out the idea of "redneck" cpes, it did not go over well

Yes, it didn't go over very well but you used that "red neck" thinner you had sitting around in the 5 gal bucket!! Roger's using the fancy stuff!!

Didn't we lovingly term Billy's brew Bpes "Billy's Penetrating Epoxy Sealer"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2011 at 9:19pm

Pete, while I did not receive your blessing on my boat resto,I tried with a limited budget to bring the boat back to a useable and reliable vintage boat.I admit my wooden boat skills are less than yours, but my skills with GRP and the uses of West Systems is broad.
As far as the thinner I used, MEK, is a mute point, you would not approve of anything less than Smith's, and that option was not in the check book. Bottom line is I have a boat I am using now , and still have a few dollars left for fuel......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic