NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1997 SN Soft Floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Has anyone ever thought of placing a really fine screen about 1/4" off the hull and then laying foam on top? Then you could possible add some drain holes through the stringers to get the water out/let it drain? I guess those drain holes would then fill up from the bilge though...hmm.

Like Joe said, if the foam does soak up water, its not likely to drain itself- so leaving a space for it to go is sort of a pointless effort. Not to mention that its more likely to introduce water to the foam than it is to keep it dry.

If youre going to foam a boat, then I contend that you need to make a very good effort to make sure that no water ever gets into the structure.

Better yet, just leave it out... it'll cost you more (time and materials) but its not hard to replace the strength of the foam by adding additional support members. Replacing the buoyancy of the foam is another issue, but Pete has mentioned that spray foam can be added under the gunnels.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 3:49pm
I still like the idea of putting down thick plastic and then pouring in the foam and sealing it on top. Almost like the drug smugglers do when they pack up a shipment!   

I guess if your boat was ever impounded it would be a little suspicious!
Nevergrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevergrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 8:32pm
Ignorance is bliss I say

Until my foot falls through the floor of my boat I won't be doing a thing to it
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2011 at 10:14pm
What is meant by "adding additional support members"? Any pictures of what that means? I type this as I'm in the midst of digging out soaked foam from my boat.

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2011 at 10:46am
Tim, havn't you learned its a losing battle.
we have yet to hear someone tear into these boats and find nice dry foam, its the zig of the zag, funny thing is to on cars or trucks, anywhere you find foam to keep the panels from rattling...thats where the car is rotted
"the things you own will start to own you"
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2011 at 5:14pm
Eric can you install a RH engine on a car? or it would take the car off balance???
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 3:51am
Aussie,

Is your floor always the same thickness? I've discovered that my floor is not just a thin cap of fiberglass, but appears to be an engineered structure with cross members and varying thicknesses. Just curious to see what you have exactly found as you cut into things.

I'm beginning to wonder about the "ignorance is bliss" idea myself. I feel compelled to dig around and find all the water I can find, but wish that I didn't have to do so.
AussieNorts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 8:58pm
Kevin,

Yes the small areas I have cut out seemed to be the same thickness. I have not noticced what you are talking about, but if you refer to my pictures, I believe i have cut out in a different area to yourself. I have not cut into the floor aft of the motor area, just minly to the port side of the bilge area. Mate I know there will probably be water on the starboard side but I am just going to ignore for the time being, maybe next winter I will tear into it, but for know we have summer fast approaching!!! I need to button it up and get the new carpet and motor in. I will have a look at McMasters for the screws. I hope thay send to Australia, if not I may take you up on that offer to send them to me, thanks Kevin.

Steve
Correct craft.....is there any other boat?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2011 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

What is meant by "adding additional support members"? Any pictures of what that means? I type this as I'm in the midst of digging out soaked foam from my boat.

Our BFN:

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2011 at 2:18pm
Ah. That's what I thought. Are those wood?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2011 at 2:22pm
No, we rebuilt the BFN with composite (coosa).
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 1:27am
Posted this more for information on what is below the floors in no timber stringer boats from 93 onwards. From the brochures in the reference section you can see that from 1993 they had a ICS fibreglass stinger layout very close to the old wooden stringers.

This layout appears to have been continued up till 1997 as the brochures show a jig placing the stingers in the hull for layup.

While browsing the 98 brochure the other night I found a totally different stringer layout in the colors section of the brochure.

1993 Brochure

1997 Brochure

1998 Brochure
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 9:43am
i got pics of a floorless 95 with the striger layout, need to load them
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 9:45am
Tim, did Kurt call you on the ski pole pocket? I wasnt sure how the BFN's held them in without a cradle...if you have a pic...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 11:08am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Tim, did Kurt call you on the ski pole pocket? I wasnt sure how the BFN's held them in without a cradle...if you have a pic...

Nope, no call to me.

The early non-cradled BFN's pylons were held in with 2 things:
1) the 1" pin at the bottom of the pylon was inserted into a cup fiberglassed to the hull
2) There was a square flange welded to the pylon at the floor, 4 bolts and a backer plate sandwiched the floor.

You can see how our '79 was set up in our rebuild thread. We put it back the same way it came from the factory- except for the addition of the cradle.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i got pics of a floorless 95 with the striger layout, need to load them

Eric, I'd love to see those!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 3:02pm
Me too. Go, Ed, Go!

Kevin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2011 at 11:53pm
consider it done, sometime in the near future
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic