Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Upholstery

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2011 at 5:19pm
still waiting on them. Talked to them last week and was told they are in process right now and were hoping to have them done early this week. I'll be calling again tomorrow.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2011 at 6:38pm
Are they way behind the schedule they quoted you? They told me usually 2 to 3 weeks from the receipt of my skins.
I began to remove my skins (holy cow there are a ton of staples!). The concern I have is that once I take the skins off I'm screwed if they don't ship in a reasonable amount of time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 1:26pm
yes they are way past the schedule I was quoted. I sent mine in right after Thanksgiving with a scheduled date of Dec. 6th. I was told 2-3 weeks usually but truelly expected 4-5 weeks with the Christmas holidays. I am currently going into week 10 and have not been notified that they are done yet. I will be calling them later today for an update.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 1:33pm
Just talked to them and was told my vinyl is all cut and is being sewn together now. Expect to have ready to ship by the end of this week.

I do know that they have had alot of turnover the past few months. I originally placed my order with Scott, who is no longer there. I talk to Archie I think now when I call. He had to contact me a while back to clarify some things on my order out of Scott's notes.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 1:40pm
Chris, hopefully you have better luck with Copycat than this guy did. Check out the installed pictures in posts #24. Yikes.

Mastercraft Copycat debacle
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 7:47pm
I saw those too, Tim. Not that I'm an expert here, but isn't it hard to place the fault on one party or the other based on those pics? There is a skill required to properly install the skins. No matter how straight and true a seam is, if the installer does a bad job it will look like crap. If the old skins were used as the pattern and the sewing was of appropriate quality and detail, then its the installer's problem isn't it?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 7:59pm
Yes, a bad install can ruin a good set of skins. But even the best installer cant make a crappy set of skins look good. The fitment issues were pretty obvious to me- that guy had to cut his foam and base down to make the vinyl fit. Some heat will get it to stretch, but you cant make it grow 2". The customer service also seems to be a little lacking based on what Ive read.

Of course, I have no first hand experience with these guys- but Im inclined to stay away. Sometimes you get what you pay for!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2011 at 8:10pm
Havent seen that thre4ad before but I did see many good reviews and some not so good reviews on them before i sent them off. Hopefully I'll find out soon if it was worth it or not.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 1:27pm
We had a beautiful weekend so I pulled the boat out into the sunlight for a day of wetsanding. Made it down to 1000 grit and I think thats going to be my last step. I'm going to try a small section with compound/ wax now and see the results. If I'm not happy, I may go to 1200 but I dont think its going to be needed. Getting warm enough I can do the carpet as well now. Guess I need to find a spot to stretch it out so I can lay my patterns out. Just waiting on the seat skins now. Got to call again today to check on their progress or lack thereof.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 2:48pm
I'm getting worried about CopyCat now......... just called for a status update and the phone number is disconeected.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 8:47pm
Holy Cow! I got an email from Archie just a couple of days ago, but honestly I was waiting to hear your assessment before I decided between them and Christines. I hope its just a glitch of some kind.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2011 at 8:50pm
I talked to them last Tuesday like I posted earlier. Was told end of the week early this week finish.

I just emailed them at the Archies email and the Sales address so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:01am
I'm breathing a sigh of relief now..... Recieved an email response from Copycat last night. They said they were not aware that the phone line was not working and did not know what the problem was. The say my skins are ready to ship, just waiting on packaging. They sent me pictures of the finished products.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:31am
Chris,
I hope it all works out and you're happy with the product. We're looking forward to seeing the results.

Originally posted by Chris4x4gill2 Chris4x4gill2 wrote:

They said they were not aware that the phone line was not working and did not know what the problem was.

Our old owners here at work used this one several times when the phone bill wasn't paid!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:46am
Good news. Keep us posted.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 12:09pm
I'll get the pics they sent posted soon. have to resize them first.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:49pm
Pictures of new skins emailed to me by Copycat.

dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:58pm
They look nice. Huge sigh of relief, right? The thought that they didn't only have your money and your time but your old skins......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2011 at 4:58pm
exactly. I was reviewing my options last night trying to figure out the next step if I had to move forward without the original skins. At least I have all the foam and bases, but trying to get the stripes right would have been a PITA I imagine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 10:47am
Worked on the motor box last night, like every other 2001 my hinges were shot. Got the new fiberglass laid last night, clamped some boards around it to let it dry and will trim / sand it tonight or tomorrow.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 2:32pm
It's from opening the motorbox and leaning it back w/o the seat in, it gets all tweaked because it does not sit flat against the floor. It really doesn't like to go much past 90 degrees.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 4:50pm
yea I know. And the kick stand doesnt exactly hold it up enough to be of any help so of course everyone just leans it against the back seat.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 5:03pm
I like them better than the concealed plastic hinges on my cover motorbox.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

I like them better than the concealed plastic hinges on my cover motorbox.

what´s wrong with them?? I like them..easy to remove when DG needs to go off to move the floor panel...remove the pin and that it...
Mine are still in excellent shape even after +19 years
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 5:37pm
I like polished stainless.
Actually mine are in fine shape too. I think its a bit of nostalgia for my old boats.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 6:15pm
I'm confused... mine has the black plastic hinges.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 7:37pm
I would have thought yours had the exposed stainless hinges. Maybe I'm confusing my former boats. I need to break out pictures.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2011 at 10:51pm
nah, I've got the black plastic ones with the pin / straps holding it to the floor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 2:54pm
CopyCat just called to confirm shipping address. They say they will ship today. "crosses fingers"
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2011 at 4:07pm
Good luck.
I got scared into ordering from Nautique Skins, but then I just got an email from them that leads me to think that I might not see skins for a long time. At least with them I didn't have to fully remove the existing skins so I left the drivers seat, observers seat and engine box covered.
Keep us posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic