Print Page | Close Window

Replacing Upholstery

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Common Questions
Forum Discription: Visit here first for common questions regarding your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19674
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 11:36am

Topic: Replacing Upholstery
Posted By: Chris4x4gill2
Subject: Replacing Upholstery
Date Posted: October-06-2010 at 11:25am
I know its been discussed before, but I cant find anything using the search feature.

Getting ready to re-upholster the interior of my 89 SN. Any tips / warnings from the guys that have done this before? I am planning on pulling the skins and re-installing the new ones myself.

Any suggestions on where to get new staples? I'm assuming I need to use Stainless?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=4472" rel="nofollow - '89 Ski Nautique 2001

Replies:
Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: October-06-2010 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Chris4x4gill2 Chris4x4gill2 wrote:

Any suggestions on where to get new staples? I'm assuming I need to use Stainless?

Chris, Home Depot or Lowes carries stainless staples and yes you need to use stainless. Only advice I can give is take your time and don't hurry just to finish a portion to get it done. I'm sure they'll be guys to chime in that have redone the interior themselves. I only replaced loose staples in mine.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: October-06-2010 at 3:53pm
Thanks for the tip, I didnt think HD or Lowes would carry the stainless ones.

-------------

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: October-06-2010 at 4:29pm
Chris, How much are you doing yourself? Are your buying replacement skins and simply removing old cover and staples and then replacing with new? Or are you buying vinyl on a roll and cutting patterns sewing and all that?

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: October-07-2010 at 3:18am
Can give you more advice when the skins arrive. I am a trained upholsterer but do it only as a hobby, mostly home furnishings. Start with the easiest pieces to help the learning curve. Generally Pull over and loosly tack cover in the center of sides(magnetic tack hammer and tacks driven about half way so they can be removed), if all is centered well, staple from the centers to the corners, working all the sides a litle at a time rather than finishing them individually. Heat from a heat gun can help on complex corners but it takes a fine touch and it is easy to overheat and melt the skins. I usually heat from the back side. Some pieces have "Trimmers" to pull a center seam down. A piece of foam is removed and one half of the skin is tacked in place, then the trimmer can be stapled in and the remain ing foam piece put in place. tack the second half and then staple the whole piece. If you have not done this before there is a lot to watch making sure you are keeping all the sides pulled the same amount, and then staying the same from piece to piece. I did mine before I found this site, I wish I had done a photo series to show others.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-07-2010 at 3:33am
If you can find an uphoilstery supply store, a good quality staple remover will speed up the process.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: October-07-2010 at 9:55am
I just had to take off my side panels while installing the stereo, a staple remover is a must, there are thousands of staples. I would say at the very least get a good electric stapler, if you have air, a pneumatic gun is even better. I borrow one from my upholstery guy, he loans out his old spare, it wasn't working properly and I had to take it aprart after every shot the last time. As you can imagine that got real old real quick, so I found some stainless staples for my hand stapler. It's a huge difference, very hard to get them where I wanted, and almost impossible to go through multiple layers on the corners with the handheld stapler. I've used an electric one to do trailer bunks before and they have the power, but air is the way to go if you can.

Date Posted: October-07-2010 at 11:11am
Steve - I am buying skins and installing them myself. No sewing for me (I hope)

Dave - great explanation. Thanks for the tips. I hadnt thought of trying to use the heat gun to help stretch it. I'll try to find a staple remover, Would one of the big box craft stores have them you think? Like Hancock fabricks or Hobby Lobby? Or will they ones they have be junk?

Don - I have an air staple gun - I dont think I'd try this without it!

-------------

Date Posted: October-07-2010 at 11:34am
ok guys, do you recommend something liek this....

(Fencing pliers)

or this:

-------------

Date Posted: October-07-2010 at 11:53am
Not the pliers, the second one will work but this is my favorite, I find it the fastest as it lifts both staple legs at once.

Osborne

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-07-2010 at 11:57am
See if Rochford supply will sell to you online. Search staple lifter on their site. About 17$

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-07-2010 at 2:50pm
Rochford will, but their shipping almost doubles the price of the puller. I'll see what i can find locally first.

-------------

Posted By: Jones
Date Posted: October-07-2010 at 8:12pm
Chris, where are you buying your skins? I'm planning the same project this winter.

-------------
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique

Posted By: 82 Nautique 1
Date Posted: October-07-2010 at 9:32pm
I purchased a complete set for my 1988 SN from Christines. Pricey but looks like brand new. Glad I spent the $$$

-------------
Original Owner " Dennis"

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4855" rel="nofollow - 1982 Nautique

Date Posted: October-07-2010 at 10:16pm
I'm using http://www.copycatcovers.com/%20 - http://www.copycatcovers.com/

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-08-2010 at 12:42am
Chris,sometimes the staples are labeled "monel" at some stores

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: ryanowen
Date Posted: October-08-2010 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Chris,sometimes the staples are labeled "monel" at some stores

FWIW, I went out of my way to find monel staples and they didn't work. The were too soft and just folded up when I tried to use them. Ended up getting regular stainless staples. Both were arrow brand.

Also, as far as tools, I used a screw driver to pull the staples and a hand gun to install. If I was doing it for a living I'd load up on better gear, but they didn't slow me down much at all. Building seat bases took me longer than installing the skins.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3284 - 1988 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-10-2010 at 3:36am
The trouble is getting under the staples. A standard screw driver ground sharp like a chisle would probably suffice, us one just narrower than the staple crown to get a good even pull. watch your hand placement holding the piece, a slip can go right into the opposite arm or hand, then you regret having a sharp puller.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-10-2010 at 3:43am
My cheapo electric arrow stapler was worthless. I wanted to use the wide crown staples, My upholstery stapler with thin wire staples drove great but you have to use groups of staples close together to prevent ripping through in situations like starting the middle of a side.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: October-12-2010 at 12:37pm

I'm using http://www.copycatcovers.com/%20 - http://www.copycatcovers.com/

Chris how did your skins turn out?

One of my customers against my advice went ahead and ordered a partial set of skins for a 92 SN from Copycat covers. My advice is to utilize either a good local upolsterer or Christines.
This Copycat group was a nightmare to work with for my customer and for me to try and install the skins. workmanship was poor and the skins did not line up nor was consistant from unit to unit. Two comming pads, love seat base and back and corner and of these only one we were able to install correctly. Copycat even had the pull off skins for patterns and still was wrong.
Anyway beware of the Copycat. Stick with Christines!

Florida Inboards Inc.

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Date Posted: October-13-2010 at 4:42pm
I dont have them yet. I went with Copycat purely based on price. I did see several good reviews from them on other forums, but also a few negatives like yours. For the price difference I am willing to take the chance. So far, they have been very good with communication and answering my questions. But I have yet to see an actual product. I should have them around christmas.

-------------

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: October-13-2010 at 4:53pm
Thanks Chris!
We wound up not being able to use the love seat base skin at all on this project and are having a local shop stitch a new one that will fit.
as for the rest of the work it was a cheap alternative and thats what we got!

Cheap is small and not too steep But best of all cheap is cheap Circumstance has forced my hand To be a cut price person in a low budget land. Times are hard but we’ll all survive I just got to learn to economize! I’m on a low budget!
Ray Davies!

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Date Posted: October-16-2010 at 9:28am
My boss just requested I recover his his Kawasaki PWC seat. It is a simple pull over cover but with compound curves. I hope to pick up some 4 way stetch vinyl early next week and do a photo set or video of the project. I will post it under a seperate topic.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-18-2010 at 1:31am
Post a link to the thread here when you get it up!

-------------

Date Posted: October-18-2010 at 1:57am

Post a link to the thread here when you get it up!

I'll keep you informed. I let you know when the tutorial is done too.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-18-2010 at 10:49am

-------------

Date Posted: October-19-2010 at 5:49am
a thread has been posted in the maintanece section titled upholstery process.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-21-2010 at 9:47am
Chris, Did that help? Are the photos too small?

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-21-2010 at 11:20am
yes, it does help. Larger photos would be helpful, but I was able to see them pretty well as they are. Looks liek I need ot order a tack hammer and a staple puller still.

-------------

Date Posted: October-21-2010 at 9:03pm
Chris, You could probably get by without the tack hammer, useing a lower air setting on staples so they hang out and remove easily of finding an angle with an electric would do essentialy the same thing. I still recommend the professional staple remover. They are slick. The model I use with the two prongs mkes it easy to remove staples that are stuck by onr leg. Just twist them in the two prongs and they come right out rather than having to keep picking up a pliers.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: dip
Date Posted: October-22-2010 at 12:32am
I've used the following company to purchase staples many times. They're inexpensive and ship very, very quickly.
http://www.fastenerusa.com/products_c75853.html - FasternerUSA

I have a question though....I have an 18 gauge, narrow crown pneumatic stapler that is used for cabinetmaking. Is this appropriate for the upholstery? The crown is a little narrower but they're heavier gauge wire.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-22-2010 at 9:30am
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

I have a question though....I have an 18 gauge, narrow crown pneumatic stapler that is used for cabinetmaking. Is this appropriate for the upholstery? The crown is a little narrower but they're heavier gauge wire.

Darren,
I'd worry about the vinyl pulling through the narrow crown. The only thing boat related I've used my narrow crown for is fastening bunk carpet to the trailers and installing hide-em welt. We do have some upholstery pro's here so maybe they will comment. I'm curious too.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-22-2010 at 11:21am

I have an 18 gauge, narrow crown pneumatic stapler that is used for cabinetmaking. Is this appropriate for the upholstery?

It could hold upholstery if used at the right air pressure and quantities but I would say it is not appropriate for the following reasons.

1) I use a 3/8" leg staple for boat upholstery, I have never seen narrow crown staples that short.
2) As Pete said their ability to hold vinyl is reduced with the narrower head.
3) If you ever went back to re-upholster again you would hate yourself. They would be a lot harder to remove.
4) The 18 guage staples would be abusive to your seat structures, especialy on removal.
5) You would miss using a perfectly good excuse to buy a new tool.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-22-2010 at 11:41am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

5) You would miss using a perfectly good excuse to buy a new tool.

This being the most important reason by far!

Posted By: akabulla
Date Posted: October-22-2010 at 1:21pm
That was by far the best part of my rebuild!! It wasn't that I had a nice boat to ski behind, it was the fact I got lots of shiny new tools I needed for the job

Date Posted: November-03-2010 at 3:01am
I'm about to order a box of staples from FastenerUSA. What length would be best? since they come in boxes of 10,000 I would prefer to only get one length if I can.

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2010 at 3:33am
3/8ths are what I usually use. They are short enough to be removed and not cause to much damage but long enought to go through welt or a few layers of vinyl.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: November-03-2010 at 11:52am
3/8ths it is then. I'm about to have shiny new staples to go with my shiney new tools.

-------------

Date Posted: November-03-2010 at 12:27pm

I'm about to have shiny new staples to go with my shiney new tools.

Now I'm jealous.

Date Posted: November-03-2010 at 8:22pm
Just wait till you have those shiny new skins on your seats and a new skill set to brag about.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 1:00pm
I pulled all of the old skins off over the weekend, all excet the motor box. I have about 3 or 4 od the wooden bases I need to rebuild, either partially or completely, everything else was in good shape.

I also finished two of my "Honey Do" projects so now that they are out of the way I can clear the garage sapce back out to build these seat bases.

-------------

Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 3:42pm
Chris,
Keep us posted on your progress, particularly words of wisdom or encouragement. I can't wait to get my skins and get started too. My other project is a carb rebuild. Its sitting on my workbench waiting for me to dedicate the time.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 4:37pm
Ask LAKESIDE.

Originally posted by LAKESIDE LAKESIDE wrote:

Thanks ..Yes that is what i do for a living...Last 23 years.. I bought the sn about a month ago. Completely redone the whole inside..

-------------

Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 8:19pm
Darren - Carb rebuild was last winters project for me. Its really not that bad but I would recommend a good workbench book if you dont have one and have never done it before. I used this one %20http://www.amazon.com/Holley-Carburetors-Design-Dave-Emanuel/dp/1884089283/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289254701&sr=1-2 - book

-------------

Date Posted: November-08-2010 at 11:20pm
Thanks Chris, I just ordered it.

Hollywood, LAKESIDE did such an incredible job I actually wanted to order my skins from him.

Date Posted: December-01-2010 at 11:26am
Skins are boxed up and will ship to CopyCat today. Hopefully I'll have new ones in hand in about 3 weeks. I still have to redo some of the seat frames so I will be ready to re-install.

-------------

Posted By: MI-nick
Date Posted: December-01-2010 at 11:49am
chris,
any special trick to getting the motorbox skin off?? was it glued as well as stapled?? i need to remove/repair/replace my motor box skin this winter and I'm worried that it's glued on and will get damaged during removal.
thanks.

-------------
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...

Date Posted: December-01-2010 at 5:51pm
NO staples at all in the motor box. It was glued at the bottom 4-6 inches only all the way around. Only other things in the way were the bolts for the hunges and handle.

It was the easiest one to strip.... There is a thin bit of foam at that point on the back side of the vinyl with glue between that and the fiberglass of the motor box. I lightly cut through the glue / foam with a razorblade and it came right off.

-------------

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: December-01-2010 at 5:55pm
MI-Nick,
   a heat gun can be your best friend with this stuff.... glue will usually soften when heated.   be careful and patient. don't allow anything to get too hot or you stand a chance of burned fingers, parts, and true frustration.

Date Posted: December-01-2010 at 6:08pm
It really did come off easily, when I say I used a razorblade, I was just cutting fibers that were pulling loose due to the glue as I seperated the vinyl from the fiberglass.

I didnt use a heat gun, but it would probably help make it come off even easier.

-------------

Posted By: MI-nick
Date Posted: December-01-2010 at 7:40pm
thanks guys!! i'll start a separate thread and post pics when i actually get started.

-------------
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...

Date Posted: January-06-2011 at 12:03pm
I have the carpet stripped out and removed all the decals. I began wetsanding and I'm already regretting starting on it (almost) I have heavy oxidization especially on the red stripe, so far I'm using 400 grit and it seems to be clearing everything up well. I'm scared to go any lower on paper. As I progress with the 400 I just keep thinking about how many more passes with the finer grits its going to take ot get done!

-------------

Posted By: thatdude596
Date Posted: January-06-2011 at 12:44pm
^^^thats why i refuse to wetsand mine. imo its worth the time being a 94 and its a boat. still looks good with a buff n wax. good luck and post some before and after pics!

Date Posted: January-06-2011 at 7:55pm
Not to ask an insulting question but are you using anything in your water to break the surface tension while you wetsand? If not, try using a very diluted solution of Murphy's Oil soap in a spray bottle as the "wet" in your wetsanding. The soap breaks the surface tension of the water and allows the paper to cut much better. You only need a small amount in the solution.

Date Posted: January-07-2011 at 11:34am
i was using just plain dish soap mixed in the water.

-------------

Posted By: Keeganino
Date Posted: January-07-2011 at 4:08pm

I have the carpet stripped out and removed all the decals. I began wetsanding and I'm already regretting starting on it (almost) I have heavy oxidization especially on the red stripe, so far I'm using 400 grit and it seems to be clearing everything up well. I'm scared to go any lower on paper. As I progress with the 400 I just keep thinking about how many more passes with the finer grits its going to take ot get done!

Since my gel is red I was having these feelings too once I got all the way around with the course grit. The entire boat looked hazy. It goes a lot faster once you get to the finer grits because you are not trying to remove major blemishes. The end result is really gratifying!

Not bad for 37 year old red gel

-------------
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4897" rel="nofollow - 1973 Skier

Date Posted: January-07-2011 at 6:35pm
Thanks for the encouragement Keegan. I know this first pass is going ot be the worst, but there sure are a lot of steps ahead of me too.

-------------

Date Posted: January-17-2011 at 10:59am
Started rebuilding the seat bases over the weekend, first ones came out pretty good I think, still have to waterproof them. Its been too cold too really work on them last few weeks. We arent use to these 20 deg temps and my little shop heater couldnt keep up. Vinyl should be in late this week or next.

-------------

Date Posted: January-18-2011 at 10:58am
Finished doing the starboard side with 400 grit last night. I ran out of paper at that point so I switched gears a little bit. I mixed up a quantity of CPES and hit any exposed wood and screw holes on the boat. USed the left over to coat the staple holes on the new seat bases I made over the weekend. I plan to pick up some more 400 grit today and I should be back to sanding in a day or two.

-------------

Date Posted: February-02-2011 at 10:14pm
Chris,
Have you gotten your skins back from Copycat? If so, how do they look?

Date Posted: February-07-2011 at 5:19pm
still waiting on them. Talked to them last week and was told they are in process right now and were hoping to have them done early this week. I'll be calling again tomorrow.

-------------

Date Posted: February-07-2011 at 6:38pm
Are they way behind the schedule they quoted you? They told me usually 2 to 3 weeks from the receipt of my skins.
I began to remove my skins (holy cow there are a ton of staples!). The concern I have is that once I take the skins off I'm screwed if they don't ship in a reasonable amount of time.

Date Posted: February-08-2011 at 1:26pm
yes they are way past the schedule I was quoted. I sent mine in right after Thanksgiving with a scheduled date of Dec. 6th. I was told 2-3 weeks usually but truelly expected 4-5 weeks with the Christmas holidays. I am currently going into week 10 and have not been notified that they are done yet. I will be calling them later today for an update.

-------------

Date Posted: February-08-2011 at 1:33pm
Just talked to them and was told my vinyl is all cut and is being sewn together now. Expect to have ready to ship by the end of this week.

I do know that they have had alot of turnover the past few months. I originally placed my order with Scott, who is no longer there. I talk to Archie I think now when I call. He had to contact me a while back to clarify some things on my order out of Scott's notes.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: February-08-2011 at 1:40pm
Chris, hopefully you have better luck with Copycat than this guy did. Check out the installed pictures in posts #24. Yikes.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36196&highlight=copycat - Mastercraft Copycat debacle

-------------

Date Posted: February-08-2011 at 7:47pm
I saw those too, Tim. Not that I'm an expert here, but isn't it hard to place the fault on one party or the other based on those pics? There is a skill required to properly install the skins. No matter how straight and true a seam is, if the installer does a bad job it will look like crap. If the old skins were used as the pattern and the sewing was of appropriate quality and detail, then its the installer's problem isn't it?

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: February-08-2011 at 7:59pm
Yes, a bad install can ruin a good set of skins. But even the best installer cant make a crappy set of skins look good. The fitment issues were pretty obvious to me- that guy had to cut his foam and base down to make the vinyl fit. Some heat will get it to stretch, but you cant make it grow 2". The customer service also seems to be a little lacking based on what Ive read.

Of course, I have no first hand experience with these guys- but Im inclined to stay away. Sometimes you get what you pay for!

-------------

Date Posted: February-08-2011 at 8:10pm
Havent seen that thre4ad before but I did see many good reviews and some not so good reviews on them before i sent them off. Hopefully I'll find out soon if it was worth it or not.

-------------

Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 1:27pm
We had a beautiful weekend so I pulled the boat out into the sunlight for a day of wetsanding. Made it down to 1000 grit and I think thats going to be my last step. I'm going to try a small section with compound/ wax now and see the results. If I'm not happy, I may go to 1200 but I dont think its going to be needed. Getting warm enough I can do the carpet as well now. Guess I need to find a spot to stretch it out so I can lay my patterns out. Just waiting on the seat skins now. Got to call again today to check on their progress or lack thereof.

-------------

Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 2:48pm
I'm getting worried about CopyCat now......... just called for a status update and the phone number is disconeected.

-------------

Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 8:47pm
Holy Cow! I got an email from Archie just a couple of days ago, but honestly I was waiting to hear your assessment before I decided between them and Christines. I hope its just a glitch of some kind.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 8:50pm
I talked to them last Tuesday like I posted earlier. Was told end of the week early this week finish.

I just emailed them at the Archies email and the Sales address so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

-------------

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:01am
I'm breathing a sigh of relief now..... Recieved an email response from Copycat last night. They said they were not aware that the phone line was not working and did not know what the problem was. The say my skins are ready to ship, just waiting on packaging. They sent me pictures of the finished products.

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:31am
Chris,
I hope it all works out and you're happy with the product. We're looking forward to seeing the results.

They said they were not aware that the phone line was not working and did not know what the problem was.

Our old owners here at work used this one several times when the phone bill wasn't paid!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 11:46am
Good news. Keep us posted.

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 12:09pm
I'll get the pics they sent posted soon. have to resize them first.

-------------

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:49pm
Pictures of new skins emailed to me by Copycat.

-------------

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:58pm
They look nice. Huge sigh of relief, right? The thought that they didn't only have your money and your time but your old skins......

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 4:58pm
exactly. I was reviewing my options last night trying to figure out the next step if I had to move forward without the original skins. At least I have all the foam and bases, but trying to get the stripes right would have been a PITA I imagine.

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 10:47am
Worked on the motor box last night, like every other 2001 my hinges were shot. Got the new fiberglass laid last night, clamped some boards around it to let it dry and will trim / sand it tonight or tomorrow.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 2:32pm
It's from opening the motorbox and leaning it back w/o the seat in, it gets all tweaked because it does not sit flat against the floor. It really doesn't like to go much past 90 degrees.

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 4:50pm
yea I know. And the kick stand doesnt exactly hold it up enough to be of any help so of course everyone just leans it against the back seat.

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 5:03pm
I like them better than the concealed plastic hinges on my cover motorbox.

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 5:31pm

I like them better than the concealed plastic hinges on my cover motorbox.

what´s wrong with them?? I like them..easy to remove when DG needs to go off to move the floor panel...remove the pin and that it...
Mine are still in excellent shape even after +19 years

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 5:37pm
I like polished stainless.
Actually mine are in fine shape too. I think its a bit of nostalgia for my old boats.

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 6:15pm
I'm confused... mine has the black plastic hinges.

-------------

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 7:37pm
I would have thought yours had the exposed stainless hinges. Maybe I'm confusing my former boats. I need to break out pictures.

Date Posted: February-18-2011 at 10:51pm
nah, I've got the black plastic ones with the pin / straps holding it to the floor.

-------------

Date Posted: February-24-2011 at 2:54pm
CopyCat just called to confirm shipping address. They say they will ship today. "crosses fingers"

-------------

Date Posted: February-24-2011 at 4:07pm
Good luck.
I got scared into ordering from Nautique Skins, but then I just got an email from them that leads me to think that I might not see skins for a long time. At least with them I didn't have to fully remove the existing skins so I left the drivers seat, observers seat and engine box covered.
Keep us posted.

Date Posted: February-24-2011 at 7:01pm
At this point I dont blame you. I hope these things fit properly.

-------------

Date Posted: February-25-2011 at 12:02pm
Archie just called and said the skins did ship yesterday afternoon. I should have them around wed next week.

-------------

Posted By: jepoole17
Date Posted: February-25-2011 at 8:12pm

I have about 3 or 4 od the wooden bases I need to rebuild, either partially or completely, everything else was in good shape.

Chris - any chance you could share a few pics of your wooden seat bases ,either in thread or email form? I'm looking to build out an '89 rear seat and a fellow CCF member (TimSpangler) is doing planning to build the rear and observer's seat in the next few weeks. Any pics/tips would be helpful before we get going on our builds.

Can't wait to see your interior when it's all done.

Thanks!

-------------
- Josh

Date Posted: February-26-2011 at 3:08am
Sure, I have the wooden bases for the cushions only, the part that sits on the floor is all plastic on my 89. If thats what you need I'll get some pics this weekend.

-------------

Posted By: jepoole17
Date Posted: February-26-2011 at 11:35am
My mistake Chris, I assumed you were talking about the floor pieces and didn't have the molded bases. I can't speak to what Tim needs, but you don't need to post pics of the seat backs for me. Thanks though.

-------------
- Josh

Date Posted: March-01-2011 at 9:58am
Got home last night and there was a "delivery notice" in my mailbox for a large parcel from Copycat. I left instructions to redeliver today so hopefully I'll have them in hand this afternoon.

-------------

Date Posted: March-02-2011 at 12:26am
Now hope they're as nice as they looked in the pictures.

Date Posted: March-02-2011 at 4:39pm
Got them unboxed yesterday. Initial impression is good. The material seems to be good quality, stitching looks good. Hopefully ill start testing it for fit this weekend.

-------------

Date Posted: March-06-2011 at 11:57pm
Spent most of yesterday working with these. I still have the motor box and the sides of the Captains chair left, everythign else is done and so far so good. Hardest pieces so far have been the curved backrests from the corners of the back seat and the observers seat. I have a few wrinkles in those, I got better at gettign them out as I went and can probably make them look better if I decide to redo them.

anyway, heres some pics.

-------------

Date Posted: March-07-2011 at 12:23am
You had a busy day, looks like they sized them pretty well. All in all I would say nice job, especially for not having done them before. the back corner back rests are a real bear. The learning curve part is frustrating, you know so much more when you have finished the last piece than you did at the start of the first one. I can understand the temptation to go back and re-do some, but I would caution against it unless one is really bugging you. It is difficult to reapply skins after the waste has been trimmed and staples have been removed. they just get more and more fragile. If you think a little more stretch to a small area would help go for it, but be carefull with removing the whole thing. I figure a wrinkle or two in trade for the money saved is not a bad deal. Congrats on the nice work.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Print Page | Close Window