Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Upholstery

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2010 at 12:32am
I've used the following company to purchase staples many times. They're inexpensive and ship very, very quickly.
FasternerUSA

I have a question though....I have an 18 gauge, narrow crown pneumatic stapler that is used for cabinetmaking. Is this appropriate for the upholstery? The crown is a little narrower but they're heavier gauge wire.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2010 at 9:30am
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

I have a question though....I have an 18 gauge, narrow crown pneumatic stapler that is used for cabinetmaking. Is this appropriate for the upholstery? The crown is a little narrower but they're heavier gauge wire.

Darren,
I'd worry about the vinyl pulling through the narrow crown. The only thing boat related I've used my narrow crown for is fastening bunk carpet to the trailers and installing hide-em welt. We do have some upholstery pro's here so maybe they will comment. I'm curious too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2010 at 11:21am
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

I have an 18 gauge, narrow crown pneumatic stapler that is used for cabinetmaking. Is this appropriate for the upholstery?

It could hold upholstery if used at the right air pressure and quantities but I would say it is not appropriate for the following reasons.

1) I use a 3/8" leg staple for boat upholstery, I have never seen narrow crown staples that short.
2) As Pete said their ability to hold vinyl is reduced with the narrower head.
3) If you ever went back to re-upholster again you would hate yourself. They would be a lot harder to remove.
4) The 18 guage staples would be abusive to your seat structures, especialy on removal.
5) You would miss using a perfectly good excuse to buy a new tool.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2010 at 11:41am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

5) You would miss using a perfectly good excuse to buy a new tool.

This being the most important reason by far!

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2010 at 1:21pm
That was by far the best part of my rebuild!! It wasn't that I had a nice boat to ski behind, it was the fact I got lots of shiny new tools I needed for the job
Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2010 at 3:01am
I'm about to order a box of staples from FastenerUSA. What length would be best? since they come in boxes of 10,000 I would prefer to only get one length if I can.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2010 at 3:33am
3/8ths are what I usually use. They are short enough to be removed and not cause to much damage but long enought to go through welt or a few layers of vinyl.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2010 at 11:52am
3/8ths it is then. I'm about to have shiny new staples to go with my shiney new tools.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2010 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Chris4x4gill2 Chris4x4gill2 wrote:

I'm about to have shiny new staples to go with my shiney new tools.

Now I'm jealous.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2010 at 8:22pm
Just wait till you have those shiny new skins on your seats and a new skill set to brag about.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 1:00pm
I pulled all of the old skins off over the weekend, all excet the motor box. I have about 3 or 4 od the wooden bases I need to rebuild, either partially or completely, everything else was in good shape.

I also finished two of my "Honey Do" projects so now that they are out of the way I can clear the garage sapce back out to build these seat bases.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 3:42pm
Chris,
Keep us posted on your progress, particularly words of wisdom or encouragement. I can't wait to get my skins and get started too. My other project is a carb rebuild. Its sitting on my workbench waiting for me to dedicate the time.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 4:37pm
Ask LAKESIDE.

Originally posted by LAKESIDE LAKESIDE wrote:

Thanks ..Yes that is what i do for a living...Last 23 years.. I bought the sn about a month ago. Completely redone the whole inside..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 8:19pm
Darren - Carb rebuild was last winters project for me. Its really not that bad but I would recommend a good workbench book if you dont have one and have never done it before. I used this one book
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 11:20pm
Thanks Chris, I just ordered it.

Hollywood, LAKESIDE did such an incredible job I actually wanted to order my skins from him.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 11:26am
Skins are boxed up and will ship to CopyCat today. Hopefully I'll have new ones in hand in about 3 weeks. I still have to redo some of the seat frames so I will be ready to re-install.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 11:49am
chris,
any special trick to getting the motorbox skin off?? was it glued as well as stapled?? i need to remove/repair/replace my motor box skin this winter and I'm worried that it's glued on and will get damaged during removal.
thanks.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 5:51pm
NO staples at all in the motor box. It was glued at the bottom 4-6 inches only all the way around. Only other things in the way were the bolts for the hunges and handle.

It was the easiest one to strip.... There is a thin bit of foam at that point on the back side of the vinyl with glue between that and the fiberglass of the motor box. I lightly cut through the glue / foam with a razorblade and it came right off.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 5:55pm
MI-Nick,
   a heat gun can be your best friend with this stuff.... glue will usually soften when heated.   be careful and patient. don't allow anything to get too hot or you stand a chance of burned fingers, parts, and true frustration.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 6:08pm
It really did come off easily, when I say I used a razorblade, I was just cutting fibers that were pulling loose due to the glue as I seperated the vinyl from the fiberglass.

I didnt use a heat gun, but it would probably help make it come off even easier.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2010 at 7:40pm
thanks guys!! i'll start a separate thread and post pics when i actually get started.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 12:03pm
I have the carpet stripped out and removed all the decals. I began wetsanding and I'm already regretting starting on it (almost) I have heavy oxidization especially on the red stripe, so far I'm using 400 grit and it seems to be clearing everything up well. I'm scared to go any lower on paper. As I progress with the 400 I just keep thinking about how many more passes with the finer grits its going to take ot get done!
thatdude596 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thatdude596 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 12:44pm
^^^thats why i refuse to wetsand mine. imo its worth the time being a 94 and its a boat. still looks good with a buff n wax. good luck and post some before and after pics!
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2011 at 7:55pm
Not to ask an insulting question but are you using anything in your water to break the surface tension while you wetsand? If not, try using a very diluted solution of Murphy's Oil soap in a spray bottle as the "wet" in your wetsanding. The soap breaks the surface tension of the water and allows the paper to cut much better. You only need a small amount in the solution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2011 at 11:34am
i was using just plain dish soap mixed in the water.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2011 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Chris4x4gill2 Chris4x4gill2 wrote:

I have the carpet stripped out and removed all the decals. I began wetsanding and I'm already regretting starting on it (almost) I have heavy oxidization especially on the red stripe, so far I'm using 400 grit and it seems to be clearing everything up well. I'm scared to go any lower on paper. As I progress with the 400 I just keep thinking about how many more passes with the finer grits its going to take ot get done!

Since my gel is red I was having these feelings too once I got all the way around with the course grit. The entire boat looked hazy. It goes a lot faster once you get to the finer grits because you are not trying to remove major blemishes. The end result is really gratifying!

Not bad for 37 year old red gel
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2011 at 6:35pm
Thanks for the encouragement Keegan. I know this first pass is going ot be the worst, but there sure are a lot of steps ahead of me too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2011 at 10:59am
Started rebuilding the seat bases over the weekend, first ones came out pretty good I think, still have to waterproof them. Its been too cold too really work on them last few weeks. We arent use to these 20 deg temps and my little shop heater couldnt keep up. Vinyl should be in late this week or next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2011 at 10:58am
Finished doing the starboard side with 400 grit last night. I ran out of paper at that point so I switched gears a little bit. I mixed up a quantity of CPES and hit any exposed wood and screw holes on the boat. USed the left over to coat the staple holes on the new seat bases I made over the weekend. I plan to pick up some more 400 grit today and I should be back to sanding in a day or two.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2011 at 10:14pm
Chris,
Have you gotten your skins back from Copycat? If so, how do they look?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic