Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Won't Start! What to do next?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won't Start! What to do next?
    Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:11pm
My 1985 Ski Nautique 2001 won't start.

First, I thought the battery was bad (it was), because it was past its life expectancy, and when you turned the key, you'd hear the clicking sound. I got a new one.

Still wouldn't start. Just clicking when you turn the switch.

A buddy of mine noted that half the switches/ dash toggles didn't work, and thought this might be the problem. The repair was inexpensive to do ourselves, so we rewired the junction box). All the switches work now.

Still wouldn't turn over. More clicking when you turn the switch. One time we had hooked up to another battery (as we thought maybe the new battery was weak), and it did briefly turn over.... (maybe a second of rotation ~ then nothing).

After prowling around here for a awhile, I decided to clean all the connections. In the process, I noted that the negative ground wire wasn't making good contact with the engine block (wow!). Anyway, addressed that issue. After all that was done, I figured it would surly start.

But it won't. And now I it doesn't even click. BTW, the clicking sound came from a brown circular cap next to the reset button. The positive lead connects there. I've got no idea what it is exactly.

If you haven't figured it out already, I should tell you in advance that I'm not much of a mechanic. I can tighten a bolt you might point to, and can identify most of the engine parts, and provide an elementary explanation of what they do, but that's about it. My buddy is much better, but I feel bad asking him for help all the time....

Suggestions on what to do next?
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:23pm
Welcome to CCFan.

Do you know if any of the batteries have a good charge on them? I would start there. You need 12.5V to start. Do you have a voltmeter you can check the batteries with? They are cheap at any auto parts store.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:27pm
I would also double check the ground connection, sounds like something's a miss there since before you cleaned them you where getting better current flow, aka clicking at the starter relay and now you have nothing, so that tells me the grounds isn't as good as it was or you have drained the battery trying to get it started. Get the voltmeter out and verify voltage at the battery posts.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:51pm
The round clicking component is the starter relay (solenoid). It's actually a real HD switch that closes sending power to the starter. When you get the volt meter out to check your battery, check the volts you get both to and from the relay (big terminals). Check all 3 spots while cranking the engine and get back to us. We're looking for a voltage drop and where it's coming from.

You said you cleaned the battery terminals as well as the ground to the engine block. Good but what's the condition of the cables themselves? Any signs of corrosion where the wire terminates to the connectors?

BTW, Better get your name up in your profile before I start calling you "no name"!! We have a tendency to call everyone by first names. welcome to CCfan and make sure you get the diary information to Keith (site administrator) so he can get you posted in that section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 4:14pm
I'm towing boat to Autozone to have them test battery, and provide a hand w/ my volt meter tests.....

Hopefully I'll find a sympathizer up there willing to help troubleshoot.

The Negative battery cable is new last year (replaced by previous owner). I worked on the exposed copper of the postive cable a good bit, and it's shiny.....

I'll post my results later today.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 4:49pm
Jonathan,
Don't be surprized if AZ tells you that the battery is bad. They always do!!

Get a multimeter and learn how to do some trouble shooting. A inexpensive one costs about $25 and is plenty for the basic testing you'll run into around the boat, car and house. They will come with instructions on how to use them too.

BTW, if everything checks out, the next thing on the list is the starter itself. Do NOT get one from AZ!! You have a reverse rotation starter due to the fact that you engine is a RH marine. I suggest findind a "auto electric" shop and taking the starter to them. It's more economical for a rebuild.

EDIT: I forgot to ask what you're using to clean the battery posts and the cable terminals. If you don't have one, I suggest getting one of the cleaners designed for the job. AZ will have one. Also, it sounds like your positive cable isn't in the greatest shape. You've cleaned the end where the insulation is off but it could be bad elsewhere where the wire is hidden. The volt meter readings will tell the story. If it turns out to be the cable, we always recommend getting a cable heavier than the OEM.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 11:35pm
VICTORY AT SEA!

Went to AZ. Found a guy that was intrigued by the SN setup (w/ the Ford 351, etc.). We checked a few things, then he suggested "retracing my steps while he went to the bathroom" (I kid you not ~ that was an exact quote).

Anyway, while he was "reading" I got to thinking about the wiring harness I'd rebuilt with my friend this time last week, and decided to take a quick look at it. Once I got down there, the problem was completely obvious, and I'm terribly embarrased that it took 3 or 4 hours to find.

Simply put the fuse that went to the ignition was not in the slot. My buddy was supplying the fuses, and he was running short ~ only had 4. He wanted to make sure everything else worked in the harness, so he took the fuse out of the ignition, and put it in the open slots to make sure bilge, auto bildge, anchor lights, etc. were working. After checking them out, he simply forgot to put the fuse back into the ignition slot.

While I did chase my tail a bit trying to find it, I feel more confident about the workings of the boat. Figuring out whats was wrong by myself, and finding the loose ground wire earlier was two very positive experiences.

It was a good day. I loaded up the kids, and took them for an hour ride.

Do you guys change your sparkplugs every season? I didn't change them at the end of last year.... Not sure what size I need....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 10:22am
Jonathan,
I'm glad to hear your engine is running!! However, I'd do some more checking on the wiring. Somethings not correct because the starter relay (solenoid) should not "click" (get power) with the missing fuse!!! Pull the fuse again and see if you get power to the relay.

Plugs? Well, the guy at AZ was trying to sell you something!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 10:40pm
Jonathan, Just read this. Glad you got it running. Should you run into any more issues, give me a call. I'm not a mechanic either, but sometimes can help. If you get bigger mechanical problems, I can hook you up with guy who can fix anything on your boat and do it reasonably.
Steve
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2010 at 11:51pm
Just dont ask Pete if you should ever change your points
"the things you own will start to own you"
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 1:24am
I usually change my plugs every other year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic