Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'88 SN speed problem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
travbo24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travbo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '88 SN speed problem?
    Posted: May-02-2010 at 11:42am
Hi all...I finally got the boat running the way it should. I had no fire to the #4 cylinder. Had me puzzled for a while and finally figured out it was a backwards magnet in the magnet sleeve for the EI conversion. Got them all back in correctly and it runs like a top. I'm a little embarassed by how long it took to get here...but the upside is that I have really gotten acquainted with this "new to me" boat. Thanks again to everyone for the many responses...I'm sure I will have other questions sooner than later. Maybe I've even learned a thing or two I can offer to someone else in a pinch.

Take care!!
Travis
'88 Ski Nautique
‘02 Super Sport Nautique
‘93 Bass Tracker Pro17 ;)
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 9:53pm
I think a compression/vacuum test would indicate what health this engine has left to play with, then he can start buying parts.

We need to know what propeller pitch is on the boat now.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 1:22pm
I think the 540 is the best all-around prop for that hull and powertrain. It will run pretty close to 1:1, just like the original 13x13 (the few Ive driven top out around 45-46mph @ 4400-4500rpm).

I think that prop will wake the boat up regardless of whether its the only problem you have or not... but do confirm your RPM's before you do anything. If you are in fact underturning by 500+ RPM (39mph @ 3400rpm) then a prop change is certainly in order.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 1:22pm
do a compression test this will indicate if you'll be able to get over 4k rpm wise, I would throw on the other prop and see if you get the same results rpm and mph with it compared to the one that is on it.
travbo24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travbo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 1:15pm
Morning guys, I've read enough of this site to know that you're big fans of this prop. I'm perfectly willing to throw down some cash on a good prop if it will help out the boat's performance. I want to try to make sure first that my current prop is indeed a problem. What do you think? Will a new prop make it perform the way it is supposed to? And what rpm/mph should I expect if the boat is propped right?

I will use the boat primarily to slalom ski and zip around the lake with my family. I will pull the occasional tube (3 & 5 year old boys...go easy on me) and eventually teach my boys to ski. Most outings will be my family of four.
'88 Ski Nautique
‘02 Super Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 12:57pm
Ha, naturally. The 540 is a pretty sweet prop- but all the 2001's that Ive been in that have upgraded to that wheel are used to ski and barefoot and arent running loaded or at altitude. I have no idea how Travis uses his boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2010 at 12:46pm
We know your going to say 540 just like all the other times.
travbo24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travbo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 9:11pm
I'll have to see if I can find a shop tach to borrow. The prop on the boat now I think is a 4-blade OJ 13x13 (stainless steel?). All it says on the hub is "OJ 13" and on the side is stamped "OJ102". The spare prop that came with the boat is an OJ 13x13 4-blade that is goldish in color.
'88 Ski Nautique
‘02 Super Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 8:47pm
Over 500 RPM of difference between RPM and speed certainly would indicate that youre overpropped. Too bad you dont have a carb- it would be easy to tell if your secondaries were opening.

I would suggest getting a shop tach to verify your RPM's. If what youre seeing is in fact accurate (confirming that youre overpropped), then if you give us some more info on how you use the boat, Im sure we could come up with a new prop recommendation. Knowing what you have for a prop right now would also be a good clue. That info will be stamped on the hub face (you would need to remove the nut to see it).
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by travbo24 travbo24 wrote:

UPDATE gps reads 39.5 mph at the top end. That's well above what my speedo's were reading. The tach still read just under 3400...could it be wrong? If the tach is accurate, maybe I am overpropped.
Travis

Second post:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What WOT RPM's are you turning up? What prop is on the boat?

Get the dia. and pitch and post what you find.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
travbo24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travbo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 8:36pm
UPDATE - I had a day to tinker, so I spent it. I replaced a bad spark plug wire, then adjusted the TPS on the throttle body. It was a bit off. After that I headed off to the lake...this time I took my handheld GPS just for curiosity sake. The boat ran much better (new plug wire). I was able to tune the ECM fairly well for idle, acceleration and got a pretty good take-off. It still feels like it's holding back at WOT...but the gps reads 39.5 mph at the top end. That's well above what my speedo's were reading. The tach still read just under 3400...could it be wrong? If the tach is accurate, maybe I am overpropped. Any thoughts on these new developments? I'm sure everyone is ready to see this thread come to an end just as much as I am. I feel more hopeful now than I did this morning.

Thanks!!
Travis
'88 Ski Nautique
‘02 Super Sport Nautique
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 7:12pm
Yes Pete I have timing lights but I noticed he didnt in my reading and believe me that what finger does the trick if you have a dead one! lol
Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 1:43pm
Travis,
We've had a few here that never saw the inside of a carb and didn't have a problem. Considering what you've done so far, I don't feel you would have a issue with a carb rebuild.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
travbo24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travbo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 11:52am
Hi guys,
I did borrow a timing light and tried to check it yesterday. There was still a mark at 10 degrees BTC and the timing seemed to be a bit behind (4 deg. BTC)...but it wasn't running well at all. I used the timing light to check all the cylinders and found that #4 had no spark. The plug wire was intermittent. I replaced it and then it seemed to run much smoother...but my higher rpm problem was still there. Thought I had it for a minute there.

I'm going to put the timing light on it again today with all 8 cylinders..make any adjustments needed. I've almost burned through most of what was in the tank so I'll give it some fresh fuel. I did run it yesterday off a separate gas can...no difference so I don't think I have a tank problem.

I'll try to get a fuel pressure gauge and check that today also...there is a pressure adjustment in the throttle body. If none of that works, I'm considering a return to the carb. Any thoughts on checking or rebuilding the carb before putting it back on? Is that a job for a pro?

Thanks for everything...I'm amazed at how helpful you guys are. Much appreciated.

Travis
'88 Ski Nautique
‘02 Super Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 8:40am
Travis,
Did you ever find a timing light? Instead of wetting your finger, hook up the timing light to each plug lead.

Brian,
With all those boats you've had, no timing light?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2010 at 11:24pm
Check that all cylinders have "fire". After engine is warmed up and still at an idle, wet your finger and touch each of the eight exhaust outlets where they come out of the head. I had a brand new autolite that didnt work one time and it took a liitle while to find it. That would put your performance numbers where they are and being the boat is new to you it can be hard detect in sound sometimes.
Brian
travbo24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travbo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2010 at 8:41pm
I've left a message for the previous owner, but haven't heard back from him yet. I have the original carb, and I would put it back on...but I figure there's a reason he took it off and replaced with the injection. I found a bad plug wire today...replaced it but still have a problem. Every time I think I may have found it...I strike out. I may put some more time in on it tomorrow.

Thanks!
'88 Ski Nautique
‘02 Super Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2010 at 8:36pm
Travis,
I mentioned before thinking there were 3 CCfan members who had the ad on injection systems. 2 went back to carbs but I remember 1 did get his to run after many hours of playing around with it. Do a CCfan search (older than 6 months) and see what you come up with. Maybe you'll luck out and be able to talk to the owners.

You said you have a manual. What does it have to say? Holley tech line?

Finding a mechanic to take a look at the issue may be a problem. They may just walk away from the engine once they find out it's been modified.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
travbo24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travbo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2010 at 7:50pm
Hey all, I'm not getting anywhere. I've tried many different things. There is no anti-siphon valve in my fuel supply line, no screen at the bottom of the fuel pickup, runs the same on fresh gas...nothing I've tried seems to work. I can't find any reason for it to be starved for gas. Anyone know of a good inboard mechanic near Lawrence or the Kansas City area? I'm ready to just have someone go through the whole thing and get her going again. I normally do this sort of thing myself...but this one has me stumped.
'88 Ski Nautique
‘02 Super Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 12:23pm
Your fuel pump is shot I would say or the pressure regulator is bad, it shouldn't be dropping in RPM so that is fuel related and the only issue.

the metal filter is the fuel and water seperator get a new and replace the old one, the plastic filter doesn't hurt but replace it with a new one to play it safe. You need to put a wrench to the fittings for all fuel lines leading to the throttle. Also look back at the tank for cracked hoses for the vent line as well as the fill tube. The anti-siphon feature is part of the fitting looks like a regular fitting but it's not. if you can see daylight through it make sure you removed the rght part, remove everything at the tank might be two fittings someone might have all ready removed it as well so double check everything.

Can you post some pictures.

do you have fuel pressure gage to verify that the fuel pump has issues?
travbo24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travbo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 10:31pm
I didn't suspect these problems when I bought the boat. The PO dewinterized it and we took it out once for a water test before I bought it. It ran a little rough at first with the fogging oil, but eventually ran fine as far as I could tell. I didn't notice the fuel smell, but he was keeping it outside at that time. He had kept it in his garage previously until buying his newer boat. I haven't contacted him yet...I may have to look him up. He seemed like a very stand-up guy and I honestly don't think the boat had any issues that he was aware of at least.
'88 Ski Nautique
‘02 Super Sport Nautique
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 10:29pm
I'm assuming the Pro-jection system is a way to convert from carb to fuel injection. Does it have an injector for each cylinder? Does it have a pressurized fuel rail? If so, you could have a leak along the fuel rail and as the pressure leaks down, it slowly sprays a mist of fuel out. And if there's a leak, it might be sucking air when you put the coal to it. Just a guess. I really don't know anything about that fuel system.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 9:49pm
Travis,
Did you buy the boat with these problems? What does the PO have to say or are you able to talk with him?

That meter is a gas vapor detector. They come calibrated for different types of gases.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
travbo24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travbo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 9:21pm
Hey 79,
To clarify the revving...I can rev up the motor in neutral to over 5000 RPM, but within a few seconds it will bog down to 3K or so and bounce around between 2500-3500 rpm. That makes me think it is a fuel delivery problem...like it has enough fuel to go at first, then gets starved. All of that variance takes place without moving the throttle from wide open or close to it. Under load, I don't even get one good rev...it can't get there.
'88 Ski Nautique
‘02 Super Sport Nautique
travbo24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travbo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 9:12pm
Looks like a very expensive tool...what is it? I wish my nose would work, but allergies are killing me. If I don't figure out this leak and get this smell out of the house...my wife may kill me first.

There are two fuel filters...one cheap plastic one before the electronic fuel pump (Holley Fuel Injection) and a normal metal filter after the fuel pump. I replaced the metal one. Is there any need for the cheap plastic one between the tank and the pump? I'm thinking about replacing that whole section with just a solid new fuel line to the pump. Any thoughts?

Has anyone else had excessive fumes from the vent, or no. The way it smells, you'd expect to find the bilge full of fuel...but that's not the case...dry as a bone.

'88 Ski Nautique
‘02 Super Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 8:23pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
travbo24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote travbo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 7:56pm
Hi all, thanks for the feedback...I love the way this website works. Really helpful. I'm planning on trying many of the diagnostic checks mentioned above. I'll check the timing and see if I can eliminate the tank as a suspect. I posted another problem in another thread, and I'm wondering if there is a connection. I'm getting a STRONG smell of fuel from the boat at all times. I keep it in the garage and it has stunk up the whole garage and now it's stinking up the house as well. I've got to find what the problem is with that. I've searched for a leak from tank to throttle body and I haven't found anything significant that would equate to the smell. The only opening left is the vent...but surely this would not emit such strong fumes. I've owned 2 other boats and kept them in the same garage...never had this kind of smell from either. Could there be a connection there to my speed problem? Another note...I did take apart the brass elbow on top of the tank to the pick up. I expected to find the anti-siphon valve but only found an empty brass fitting. Is that a problem?
'88 Ski Nautique
‘02 Super Sport Nautique
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

check the anti-shipon valve at the tank where the fuel line connects to it.

Try running off of a gas can instead of the tank and see what it does, doing this eliminates the anti-shipon valve, vent and pick-up as causes.

I'm a little puzzled you say in neutral it revs to 5k but won't hold, does it go up then stay's steady at a lower RPM with the throttle in the same position? meaning going wot, the RPM peaks then backs off on it's own to a lower RPM? what does the spray pattern from the throttle body look like? even cone shaped spray from all injectors?

Are you really recommending flying down the lake at 35 mph with the fuel line stuck in an open can of gasoline??? Now THAT'S not Coast Guard Approved. I understand what you are trying to accomplish but that has the making of a Three Stooges episode. It would be a better idea to visually inspect those parts and clean them if needed. It's not that hard. You can do it in the driveway. Just expose the fuel tank, remove the pickup line, make sure it's clean (including the screen at the bottom. Also check the larger vent hose and through hull fitting for obstructions. You can also pull the tank out completely and drain it to rule out water in the fuel tank. I'd also change the fuel filter. It should be some oil filter looking device.
I still think the exhaust leak is causing a good portion of your problems.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 1:32pm
^^^I think '79 is on the right track here^^^^

Originally posted by anthonylizardi anthonylizardi wrote:

Are you sure? I believe I had 1442 which is close and my boat was a hog. It ran fine but it didn't pass 3600rpm. I don't know anything about prop. It was your recomendation to buy the 540 which I am really happy with it.

If Im not mistaken, you had a 422, which at 12.5x15.5 is nowhere "close" to the 540 (13x12) or the stock 13x13. You had to be underturning by close to 600-1000 RPM, which caused the poor performance. (IE, at 3600 RPM you were not going anywhere near 36mph- probably closer to 42.)

Travis is seeing ~36mph at 3400 RPM... so he's fairly close to 1:1. He's under-rev'ing a little, but that alone wouldnt account for his lack of performance.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 1:21pm
check the anti-shipon valve at the tank where the fuel line connects to it.

Try running off of a gas can instead of the tank and see what it does, doing this eliminates the anti-shipon valve, vent and pick-up as causes.

I'm a little puzzled you say in neutral it revs to 5k but won't hold, does it go up then stay's steady at a lower RPM with the throttle in the same position? meaning going wot, the RPM peaks then backs off on it's own to a lower RPM? what does the spray pattern from the throttle body look like? even cone shaped spray from all injectors?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic