Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sanding and Buffing

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sanding and Buffing
    Posted: April-17-2010 at 1:22am
The Hawktique is in much need of a face lift. I have had my '90 Nautique for about 9 months, and before it hits the water this year, I want the yellow to pop, not poop. I have found a lot of pointers from all the great threads. Here are some pics of what I'm starting with.

"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 9:30am
Great signature line.

3M super Duty on a buffer with a good wool pad will show you a starting point. If it works keep going, and if it's not enough you'll have to drop back to sanding. I had to wet sand, but my starting line was further back than yours.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 11:44am
You should go back and resize your pics so they fit. Approximately 6 inches wide in the photo editor. Also hit enter in between each of them.

It will make them far easier to view so we can see how awesome she looks when you are done.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 12:33pm
Buffalo: Thanks, I'll def be sanding :(

Wake: Thanks as well, I'm totally new to the pic posting.

I did a couple test sections, decided to sand then buff. Super Duty alone didn't seem to give me the result I'm looking for. I learned a great deal from reading posts by TRBenj, and he's kind of become a mentor for me with all his projects and knowledge. Got everything from www.smartshoppersinc.com for $120. Bought a $50 variable speed rotary buffer from Harbor Freight for $50 that seems to work well.

800/1000/1200 wet sanding followed by:

P/N    Compound              P/N      Pad
05954 3M super duty       41-025 4ply wool
05973 Perfect it II              41-425 50/50/Wool/Acrylic
05928 Finesse it II            41-625 Wool/Acrylic Blend Knitted
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 2:35pm
that color is gonna look really good sanded, buffed and re-stickered. nice boat
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 4:16pm
Update on day 2, I've sanded with 600, 800, 1000, 1200. About to start buffing. Hopefully I can be done with the first side today and finish the other side next weekend. I'm really not expecting perfection, wish I could, but I do like what I'm seeing under there.

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 4:29pm
Josh,
Your boat is looking great! Love the buffing crew you got there.

Thank you for serving our country. Semper Fi
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2010 at 8:00pm
Keep up the good work...send the kids my way once you're done with em!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 12:09pm
Great results thus far... keep up the good work!
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 12:17am
Just about done. I still have to pinstripe. Not sure exactly what to do on the back but it'll probably stay plain for now. Thanks for all the support.

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 12:23am

Yours looks good up close!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 1:26am
It's far from perfect, but now it's acceptable.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 10:28am
that's really gonna look good when you put that accent striping back on. nice job
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2010 at 11:11am
The pics just don't do it justice ,do they Josh
I was really surprised that mine turned out the way it did.As are you.
Great job And teach those young ones how to do it just incase it's needed again.
Again, radical boat---especially when you get the 'Hawk' on it
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
DEF187 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEF187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 1:42am
The yellow is definitely poping not pooping. I'm getting ready to do the same thing to my 89 sport, I have black (I'm assuming) vinyl 1/2" pin striping between colors. Do you know were to purchase some pin stripe tape?

Suggestions?
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 1:57am
I've looked a couple places. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm trying to find 3/4" double stripe for the bottom.

pinstripe
DEF187 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEF187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 8:30pm
when you wet sanding did you use a sanding block and elbow grease or did you have a mechanical advantage?
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 8:44pm
I did cheat a bit with an orbital sander with 600 grit on just the yellow on the first sanding. After that, just good old elbow grease.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 9:18pm

It looks great hawk!
Seeing threads like this makes me want to buff my hull out. Even though my hull is all white, I can see it needs some attention. I'm assuming I will need to wet sand first as well.

One of the things keeping me from doing this is that I would need to find the proper reproduction 1925-1978 stickers for it. The flags are easily found on here.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2010 at 9:35pm
Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm going to put the stickers back on. I guess time will tell. I do know I'm all done fixing for the year. I have a list already for next spring. It never ends. Good thing it's just parts. If I had to pay to get my stuff done, BOAT: Bust Out Another Thousand!
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 3:35am
Yep B-O-A-T! As Sesame Street would put it. That's the word on the Street. I have already wet sanded up to 1200 and am getting ready to buff it out as soon as I get her back on the water. Thanks for the detailed play by play. Your boat is amazing!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 11:46am
Thank you! It's all a result of information found right here on CCF. I do have the pinstripe on now, I'll try to get pics soon.
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 1:14pm
You have done wonders on that boat. A complete 360, very nice!
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

rmm025 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmm025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 1:31pm
Wonderful job, I have avoided wet sanding like the plauque, but it may be my only option to get the boat to pop like a new one. This thread may encourage me to do the wetsand project next spring.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 9:43pm
That Yellow is looking SHARP !!!!

Nice to know their may be hope for my chalky gell coat after all.

Anytips for faded Metal flake?
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 9:57pm
I would say to start with a small area (1'X1') and a lower aggressive approach. You can always go more aggressive if need be. Have lots and lots of time set aside. I think I have about 20 hours into mine, to do a really good job, it would have probably taken 30.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

I would say to start with a small area (1'X1') and a lower aggressive approach. You can always go more aggressive if need be. Have lots and lots of time set aside. I think I have about 20 hours into mine, to do a really good job, it would have probably taken 30.

wet sanding with a DA and using 800 and 1500 really cuts that time down dramaticly, took me all of 10 minutes to remove the transom letting and shine the rest up.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 12:08pm
DA's are sweet. Unfortunately I don't have a compressor beefy enough to handle a DA's appetite.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

DA's are sweet. Unfortunately I don't have a compressor beefy enough to handle a DA's appetite.

just use a regulator and let the compressor rest every so often while you get another cold pop and it'll be fine.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 12:41pm
I might try that if I ever have a big project again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic