Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Won't Idle below 1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
WhiteLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won't Idle below 1000
    Posted: April-15-2010 at 7:47pm
!984 302 ford. I have a feeling the timing is off. it says 6 degrees advance at 600 rpm, however I can not get it to idle that low to adjust. I can only sort of guess. Any numbers on how many degrees at higher rpms? Or is this a carb issue? It also idles in a way that makes it rev up and then back down again in the range of a few hundred rpms. Any Ideas?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 7:48pm
Your last statement makes me think it'd be a carb issue. But I'm no mechanic either!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 7:53pm
Set the timing to 10 deg BTDC at idle (below 1000 rpm). Then go after your carb to adjust the idle correctly. Set the mixture screws for max vaccuum, then adjust the curb to ~700. Setting the idle works better under load (ie, in gear- in which case, set it to 650). Double check your timing after youre done. You should see 10 at idle and ~34-36 by 3000 RPM.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 8:05pm
well I can barely get it under 1000. So should I set it to 10 at 1000? Where are the mixture screws and how do I know they are set to max vacuum? Turn left for max vacuum?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 8:17pm
The idle mixture screws are located in the front metering plate- there is one on either side of the carb. Set them to 1.5 turns out before you start, and adjust from there. You will need a vacuum gauge hooked up to the intake (borrow the PCV port) to accurately judge max vacuum. Else, you can ballpark where the idle is the highest. Both screws should be set the same. Turn them in 1/4 turn increments.

Set the timing at 10 deg to start (just so it idles), then adjust your carb. After youre done, you will want to recheck your timing- and possibly go through the carb one more time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 8:49pm
1000 degrees? Do you mean 10?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 8:51pm
Yes, 10 deg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 8:54pm
How come I read 6 degrees BDC on the valve cover, yet I should set it to 10? Which one?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 8:59pm
Set it to 10.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by WhiteLakeSkier WhiteLakeSkier wrote:

It also idles in a way that makes it rev up and then back down again in the range of a few hundred rpms. Any Ideas?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 9:04pm
I thought of the same thing also, Alan. I figured it would be best to try to set the idle properly since he's already messed with it. But it begs the question- has the motor been apart (carb, intake, etc)? Any chance the PCV port on the carb spacer isnt connected?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 9:26pm
The engine was apart. Intake manifold, carb, spacer. Would the idle that wanders up and down be caused by a vacuum leak? I can't set the idle much since it will not stay steady. I turned both screws in all the way and then adjusted 1/4 turn out until the low part of the wandering was at 650/700. However, it won't stay like this for more than a minute or so, the wandering will eventually bring it too low and it stalls.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 9:54pm
start the engine and spray some w40 on the intake perimeter, bolts, and carb/spacer base, look for bubbles.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 9:57pm
I am shocked you are having problems.

Originally posted by WhiteLakeSkier WhiteLakeSkier wrote:

I may not have the degree, but I can easily do what the mechanic does.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 10:06pm
I lost it all over the winter!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 12:51pm
I found that the erratic idle is because of a leak in the manifold, maybe even carburetor. I sprayed some starter fluid around the seals of the manifold and the engine would pick right up. Accurate? I also noticed when I took the manifold and carb off that there was two gaskets on top of the spacer, might be the source of some of my troubles eh?

When I put it back together, I know the hose from the spacer goes rear, however is it designed so that one side goes to the carb, one goes to the manifold? What do the correct gaskets look like for the manifold/spacer seam and the spacer/carb seam. I want to make sure it is all correct so I'm not doing this again.

Now the intake manifold gaskets, any specifc kind? I got them from pep boys last time for a 1984 ford 302 mustang car. All the ports matched up on the gasket and head. Do I use any sealant with the gasket? I used it last time just to hold it in place, and I applied a little more with the cork end pieces.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2010 at 1:41pm
Well don't use the cork piece on each end use permatex RTV and also use it around all four water ports before you install the intake.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 1:16am
Other than carb, or vacuum leak issues, you may also have a worn timing chain. I put a new timing chain on when I rebuilt my engine, and it made a big difference....as well as following all the advice above. Before I did all those things, my engine (351) would also not idle below 1000 rpm.   
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2010 at 11:26am
if the timing chains are worn, you typically will see this in the timing mark...it will have a tendency to be erratic and not steady when checking with a light.
first thoughts though were vacuum also
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 1:06pm
I took the manifold/carb off and replaced the gaskets again. All works great now. The idle is smooth and does not jump. However, I have the idle adjustment screw backed all the way out and It will only idle at 650/700. Shouldn't I be able to back it all the way out until it stalls? I have no wiggle room now, should it ever go higher, I can't adjust it lower. The gaskets are not leaking, as I have sprayed starting fluid around them all and no engine response from it. I took the PCV valve hose out of the cover and held my finger over it, didn't go any lower. Adjusting lean or rich has not helped either. Could it be the timing? The mark is not erratic at all. I had it set to 10 degrees advance, however the idle was even higher than. So I put it back to valve cover spec of 6 degrees and 650/700 is where I am at now. It just seems like I should be able to adjust it low enough to stall.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 1:19pm
Put the timing lamp in again and set advance to 8-10 degrees. (8 being shy, 10 if you're sure you have a really healthy engine)

Do this with the iddle mixture screws 1.5 turn open.

lower the accelerator pump iddle screw as it might be set too high and your carb's running on the transition slots. It is located below the accelerator cable attaching mechanism on the carb.

once you get to the 750rpms mark again, start tuning the iddle mixture screws again. If you close them all the way and engine does not stumble, you iddle passages could be clogged.

Remember you want 600-650rpms at iddle in gear, at neutral you will need more like 750-800rpms.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:04pm
Alright, so is the accelerator pump idle screw separate from the screw that adjusts the throttle on the carb?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:15pm
A few things:

-There are 2 idle mixture screws. Did you adjust both of them or just one? They should be set the same.

-The idle mixture screws should be adjusted for max vaccuum (which will usually correspond with max RPM at idle), NOT for optimum RPM. The curb idle adjustment is used to set your RPM properly afterwards.

-Set the timing FIRST, before dinking with the idle. The boat will generally run better at 10 than 6.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

once you get to the 750rpms mark again, start tuning the iddle mixture screws again. If you close them all the way and engine does not stumble, you iddle passages could be clogged.

If it doesn't stall then your not on the idle circut to start with and need to disconnect the throttle cable at the carb and adjust the carb and timing then adjust the throttle cable properly.

if you have been making these adjustments with the throttle cable attached to the carb disconnect it and see if the rpms drop I bet they do since the screw is all of the way out and the engine isn't dieing then the carb's throttle plate is being held open by the throttle cables adjustment.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 5:37pm
Don't forget to adjust your idle speed screw as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 6:07pm
The cable has not been attached at all, and I check the timing as I'm adjusting things. When I adjust the mixture screws equally the engine runs at the same rpm. Regardless of where they are set lean/rich.

I actually have the idle speed screw completely taken out, so that is not affecting the lever at all. I notice that the lever is not touching where the idle adjustment screw screws into. It is almost as if the carb has bottomed out internally.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 7:11pm
Did you ever get a vacuum gauge to adjust your idle mixture? I got one at Northern Tool last year for 15 - 20 bucks. It really helps when adjusting idle mixture.

Also is your engine reverse rotation? Are your timing marks going the right direction? The marks on my reverse rotation 302 are for a left hand engine. So 10 degrees ATDC on the mark is actually 10 degrees BTDC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 8:57pm
Hmmm, How can I tell if it is reverse rotation? The motor spins counterclockwise when looking at the flywheel. I still need to get a vacuum gauge, do I just hook into the PCV line? It just troubles me that I cannot adjust the idle to stall. Something is not right and I don't know what else to adjust!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 9:11pm
Have you adjusted your curb, as mentioned (several times) above?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2010 at 9:16pm
Yes, set at 10 degrees
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic