Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving from outboard to inboard, what to know?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving from outboard to inboard, what to know?
    Posted: March-26-2010 at 4:22am

Where you asking me my friend? If you where, Lake Somerville.. Great inboard lake, great for the camping, cooking, drink some cold ones, and just relax.. Come visit we can ride my friend.. [/QUOTE]

Lost track of this one, Thanks for the invite, I thought the photo was actually my lake, but I wasnt even close, If I get to Texas I will look you up. I'll bring the cold ones.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 12:48am
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

I heard the guy at GL had the problem because the area around the camp ground was so shallow this year the BFN he was in sucked the mud off of the bottom while at idle waiting to pick up the truck driver. By the way, this same guy told me the impeller was way cheaper than the tire blow out or the prop the above mentioned truck driver bent up by hitting the bottom!

Yeah..it sure was fun traveling with you 2 guys. Never a dull moment.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 2:36pm
Thanks for doing that for me Pete..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 9:02am
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

http://www.boattrader.com/search-results/Zip-77493/Radius-any/NewOrUsed-any/Type-Power/Category-Ski%20and%20Wakeboard%20boat/Length-18,20/Year-1978,1990/Price-2500,20000/Fuel-GAS/Engine-DIRECT%20DRIVE/Sort-Length:DESC/

Lee's link

Lee,
We've got to get you to handle the linking properly!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 10:00pm
Hey Nate,

I sure the we got you interested in inboards now. If you have not found one yet either on this site, there are some good Nautiques 2001 on boattrader.com. http://www.boattrader.com/search-results/Zip-77493/Radius-any/NewOrUsed-any/Type-Power/Category-Ski%20and%20Wakeboard%20boat/Length-18,20/Year-1978,1990/Price-2500,20000/Fuel-GAS/Engine-DIRECT%20DRIVE/Sort-Length:DESC/
Check it out! See what you think..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 1:11pm
you made a very good choice to stay away from the outboard and i/o's
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 8:34pm
I am definitely focused in and sure I want an 82-86 2001. I am waiting to get my gas tank back so I can sell the motorcycle, and we've still got March to get through up here. I have some things to work out before it can happen, but my mind is pretty made up.

Thanks for all your input!
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 4:15pm
Yall angry.. Damb! lol I think he inboard, we got him convinced, he just was worried he couldnt run it in shallow water..

I am ready for summer damb it..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 4:04pm
Wow, that all came out better than I anticipated hahaha..

So are we buying an inboard here or are we stuck on the outboard?? Seems darn black and white to me.

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Chris, just pokin' fun at you again.......
You have a lot to add to the threads and your input into the makeup of boats, motors and trailers. Do not let me distract you from your duties,sorry if I poked a stick in your eye.
You have been missed, we always need an opossing veiw.......Billy

Sorry But I just don't see it your way, and it's getting very old.
white flag raised
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 3:38pm

You have a lot to add to the threads and your input into the makeup of boats, motors and trailers. Do not let me distract you from your duties,sorry if I poked a stick in your eye.

Sorry But I just don't see it your way, and it's getting very old.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 3:33pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 3:30pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 2:44pm

Chris is this your opinion or do you OWN A BOAT that has one installed?
We will wait on your reply, but I assume the latter is not the case.

first hand experience from installing and using one. Glad your contributing nothing to the thread richard.

Bet you just can't wait for Oct to come so that you can enjoy the 79nautique all month long there on your CCF calendar.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 2:27pm
[QUOTE=chrisawalker45] i run my boat in a lake that is anything from 2.5feet to 5 feet depending on the time of year. The bottom is quite silty nd we get alot of weed. I do run the boat with a strainer, and it always has stuff in it

Well, you probally right, most inboards I can remember all had strainers on them. I bet you have to clean your strainer everytime you go out then.
I just try to stay out of shallow water, just scared I guess of hitting the rudders, or prop on something. If i know it is less than say 4ft, I turn the boat off.. Just me tho....
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

chrisawalker45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisawalker45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 11:39am
i run my boat in a lake that is anything from 2.5feet to 5 feet depending on the ime of year. The bottom is quite silty nd we get alot of weed. I do run the boat with a strainer, and it always has stuff in it, the only problem i have ever had with it was a slight split in the sealing ring, therefore it leaked air in and caused the temp to shoot up, this all depends on the boat, if u have a more recent one with a heat exchanger, this wouldnt have been a problem. I reckon with the depth etc, ull be fine and in my oppinion, i would recommend on running a strainer.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 4:15am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by Netdewt Netdewt wrote:

Every summer I dream about moving "up north". Best place in the world.

Key word here is "summer". Where do you dream about being in the middle of winter?

Summer. We're baking up here this week, high 30's!

The lakes I'll be in are silty and sometimes weedy. The "channel" or whatever I'd have to go through each time we dock is about 200 ft long, 10 ft wide, winding, really soft nasty warm rotting silty bottom, and about 3 feet deep. Sounds like it's possible...
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 2:05am

.....I have always heard as you guys talken in some posts, direct drive inboards need at least 6ft of water to run in give or take... Yall agree?

Six feet is a lot of water, far more than is needed by our ski boats. Half of that is plenty deep for most inboard ski boats.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

What lake was that in the Pics?

Where you asking me my friend? If you where, Lake Somerville.. Great inboard lake, great for the camping, cooking, drink some cold ones, and just relax.. Come visit we can ride my friend..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 11:36pm
Just like Pete said in a previous post, it matters what kind of water you run in. The lake I run in, the water is fresh (NO Salt water allowed) and clean. The strainer you can see if debris is in there, but the water I run in is fresh. Plus, I have always heard as you guys talken in some posts, direct drive inboards need at least 6ft of water to run in give or take. I stay away from banking the boat while running etc.. But a strainer is needed to keep unwanted junk out.. Yall agree?
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 11:25pm
How can the truck driver bend up the prop,if hes driving the truck?
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 8:24pm
I will check with him, but I don't think launching or driving around the campground was a problem if you just watch the depth gauge. You only really have one small channel to get out of there. The problem comes in while sitting out there & you get blown around some & end up in really shallow water. Next time I would say he would just go out a little further & wait where it is not quite as shallow.
Greg

86 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

I heard the guy at GL had the problem because the area around the camp ground was so shallow this year the BFN he was in sucked the mud off of the bottom while at idle waiting to pick up the truck driver. By the way, this same guy told me the impeller was way cheaper than the tire blow out or the prop the above mentioned truck driver bent up by hitting the bottom!

A little off tangent... Greg, do you think you could pass along a message to this "GL guy" for me? Just curious if I should avoid the campground launch with the BFN at GL this year. Maybe towing it over to the launch at the park would be a good idea. Thanks!
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 8:10pm
Greg

86 BFN
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 7:54pm
Yeah Hollywood,
In SW Virginia we usually don't think too much about freezing but the last two years have been doosies! Nice to have it self drain.........
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 6:58pm
I suppose an upside down strainer will let more silt and sand through instead of it sinking in the bowl, but the leak protection (it won't suck air after it's minimally full), and self drain in winter are huge positives.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 6:23pm
Ok Fellas - don't wanna get in the middle........ but here is my life with strainers:

Strainer on the 2004 206 - In our lake we always have lots of barklike debris in lake and I always find some in strainer.... clean 2-3 times a year and always debris inside (one year, 1/3 of plastic shopping bag - glad I didn't have to fish that out of anywhere else).

No Strainer on 78 Tique for 6 months then place strainer on (took advise and put it on upside down for self-drainage). Find same large-ish debris in it but not the fines that are in the other. I guess the self-draining part clears out the smaller particles.

In my lake, I am glad I use them......... FWIW.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 5:48pm
Chris is this your opinion or do you OWN A BOAT that has one installed?
We will wait on your reply, but I assume the latter is not the case.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 5:34pm

Gotta have a strainer.. Clean mine at the end of every season..

actually you should check it before you take off for the day/week-end and anytime you see a slightly higher than normal reading on the temp gauge.

Some say it's not needed and it leads to more problems than it's worth, I say their just lazy and don't want to use the safty device correctly for it's intended purpose as a filter.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2010 at 10:23pm
Gotta have a strainer.. Clean mine at the end of every season..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic