NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No Super Sucker needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 2:26am
Feeling guilty after all those years of running 2 strokes Pete ?   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 10:03am
Pete, I normally buy Bug and tar remover for the tanks and 35 gallons was around 185.00, well i ordered some about 1 month ago and the guy personally delivered it in his caravan, he seemed in a hurry and i asked him how much the 35 gallon drum was.................................510.00, i told him put that mfr back in your van.
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Feeling guilty after all those years of running 2 strokes Pete ?   

Gary,
What 2 strokes? The little 18 on the Alumacraft I grew up in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Pete, I normally buy Bug and tar remover for the tanks and 35 gallons was around 185.00, well i ordered some about 1 month ago and the guy personally delivered it in his caravan, he seemed in a hurry and i asked him how much the 35 gallon drum was.................................510.00, i told him put that mfr back in your van.

I would have done the same! You can buy new parts for that kind of money. I have a hazmat dump station close to my house but did not really think about what a pita and how expensive it would be to use a parts washer.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 9:31pm
Keegan,
Well you got me thinking so I went and bought a parts washer! Bid on/won a 20 gal. with stand, drying tray and pump off ebay for $75 and only $8 for shipping. My shop is really set up for woodworking but I figured why struggle with a oil drain pan, solvent and a brush cleaning parts so I'm expanding into equipment more for engine rebuilding. This is the 4th engine (all flat heads) I've done but the previous 3 were done when I did have the luxury of having a parts washer at work. Now it's onto what will go into it.

At work we do use a citrus based cleaner in a production belt type aqueous washer that removes a grease based buffing compound. I'm going to have to sample a gal. of it and see how it works after playing with the water mix ratio. I'm on city sewer here so disposal won't be a issue. When the parts washer is moved up north then it will be a problem because I'm on a septic system. I'll need to look at spirits then.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2010 at 11:14pm
Naw Pete I was thinking more of your Lawn Boy mower,your Johnson Skee-Horse and your Evinrude Aquanaut
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 8:58am

Naw Pete I was thinking more of your Lawn Boy mower,your Johnson Skee-Horse and your Evinrude Aquanaut

Wow, that's going back a couple! I always wanted to try the Aquanaut but up north the lakes are pretty dark due to the orange tannins so no one had one.

You forgot a OMC product on your list. The Playmate. That's the small gull wing they used their outboard 90HP 2 stroke power head in hooked up to their out drive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 9:06am
Pete,
If I remember correctly, Watercraft did have the Aquanaut for a short time, and I think they may have rented them. I do remember seeing them being used several times
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 10:04am
I remember the aquanaut, though they were neat at the time!

How did they keep the exhaust from getting sent to the diver?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 10:21am
Charlie,
Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing one over at Watercraft. It must have been very short lived. I think the whole product was short lived and think it had something to do with the exhaust problem Chris mentioned.

Chris,
I don't know how they expected to suck in fresh air. On a calm day I'm sure it wasn't the greatest air going down to the diver. 2 stroke air as well!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 8:17pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Gary,
It takes 7/8" threaded spark plugs. I understand that lots of old tractors used them.

Our cubs use the same plugs Pete. We used to get them at Farm & Fleet,but not sure now,there is very little of "farm or fleet" left there. We use Champion D16's for normal use,D21's are used by some but it is a hotter plug. Napa will be your best bet,as you know.

Gary,
I just came from Napa after getting plugs. First, I was surprised they had them and then I thought the D-16's (old Champ # 8 COM) looked small and they are! Thank's for trying but it turns out your tractors use the next generation plug which is a 18mm plug and not the 7/8-18 thread Champion "W" series (old Champ 0,1,2 and 3 COM). I'll take the plugs back, guess at the heat range and get them to order some. So, the tap you have is probably the 18mm.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 9:53pm
Your right Pete it does say 18mm,and now you mention it I seem to remember Warshawski used to sell a adapter for Model A Ford plugs.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2010 at 3:36pm
My stop at Napa yesterday was primarily to get piston rings on order. I was pretty disappointed with my beloved Napa store. I'm getting the impression that it won't be too long before the sign out front is changed to read "Autozone"!!!

I went in with all the Hastings rings part numbers. This was after I called and spoke with Hastings tech service. I called because I couldn't find rings wide enough on their site to replace the original 3/16" wide rings. They make a oil control ring 3/16" but not a compression ring. I discussed with them the possibility of using ring spacers but the tech person felt it better to use two 3/32" ring per piston land. Purchases can't be made directly from Hasting without setting up a wholesale account so they told me any Napa would be a great choice.

Well, none of the Hastings numbers would cross over to the Napa numbers in their system. None of the numbers would even cross over in Napa's master distributor system as well! No good old books anymore so if it's not on the computer these days you're screwed!! Seems no one can get on the phone anymore and make a purchase without having the damn numbers in the computer!

The master distributor started from scratch and went back to bore size and ring width pulling up his own numbers. Surprisingly I do have rings coming in early next week but I'm going back in there with my dial calipers in hand! I also have no idea of the quantity I'll see. They were totally confused as to the "set" quantity being for 1 piston or a four cylinder engine and then thowing in the need for twice the amount of compression rings needed made it even worse. Considering the cost per set was $23, I think it's for 1 piston. I ordered two sets and will see when they come in. I may end up having to buy 6 more sets!

And people wonder why it costs so much to rebuild a engine. Of course it's obvious not many do anymore unless that engine is old and rare. My Napa closed down their machine shop in 2002. No business!

Before paying, I made sure that I could return the "special order" so it was noted I could on both the computer and the paper work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 1:53pm
I went shopping on ebay Thursday afternoon for yet some more handy tools. I've always put rings on by hand but in this case I don't want to take the chance of breaking any. Found a ring installing pliers for $5 new. Then because the piston lands are so full of crud, I found a land scraper for $17 new. Both turned out to be from Summit's on line store. Both came in yesterday!! What service!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2010 at 6:29pm
fingernails and old ground piston rings work well, but those tools do help Pete, and i do own them too
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 9:48pm
Not much exciting to report today. I'm waiting on my parts washer so I can get the parts cleaned up!! Did some more cylinder honing with the course stones and then the ball (flexi) hone. Went as far a I want to go so next step is to put the fine stones back in and do the cross hatching. The one pitted cylinder still shows some pitting but I'm leaving it. The rings (maybe not enough!!!) will be in this week so fitting the end gaps will be next.

Took the wrong plugs back to Napa. This time didn't have the Champion W16's in stock. They could order them but I'd need to get a box of 8 plugs. Since I'm guessing at the heat range, I don't want extra plugs at this time plus, they are more than a normal plug - $7.00 each. They checked other Napa's and found 10 in stock out in DeKalb Il. Someone out there must have some old tractors. Well, since my daughter goes to school (NIU) in DeKalb, I'm sending her in for the 4 plugs. She might as well do something for a change!!

I bought (McMaster) 10 small dia. 1/8" wide wire brushes with 1/8" shanks so they would fit in my Dremel. I went after all the trans and engine gears. Real fine wire on the brushes so they have a tendency to break and be thrown out of the brush. I'm picking small wires now out of my shirt (and yes Kevin, my turtleneck)!!! Gears turned out pretty good. Two gears that I'll need to replace are the bevel gears that drive the RWP. One is on the end of the cam and the other is on the bottom of the vertical pump shaft. The gears sit in a separate chamber in the block and this must have held water. They are pretty rusted up. I'll need to match up the outside diameter, pitch and number of teeth with a common power transmission gear. Then bore/keyway to suit and face the hubs for the proper gear engagement. (just like you would set up the rear end of a car or truck) I knew that "high spot blue" I got for my prop lapping thread would come in handy for something else some day!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 10:07pm
I forgot to mention one problem (of many minor ones) that I did run into today. The RWP's used back before the rubber impeller are brass gear pumps. I opened up the RWP only to find one of the gears is pinned to the brass drive shaft in a blind hole drilled through one side of the gear, through the shaft and then only part way into the other side of the gear. Makes pulling the gear a real PITA!! I'll need to set it up in the mill and machine the pin out!

I noticed the thread the other day about the Joe Gibbs products. I went on line and ordered a jar of Gibbs's assembly grease. I'm getting this 4 to 1 compression 15 HP engine race ready!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 1:25pm
Disaster this morning! I came in with the crank shaft and planetary gear/clutch assembly this morning to use the press to remove the sun gear off the end of the crank shaft. Without a cross section view of the end of the crank where the planetary is pressed on it was difficult to really see what was pressed onto what. I thought the sun gear was pressed onto the crank but there's a "adapter" pressed on to the crank instead. Well, what happened is I broke the hub end out of the cast iron planetary housing because I was pressing on the adapter instead of the crank!!

Now the fix?? I do not want to braze or weld on this casting. There's always a chance of breaking/cracking a casting even with preheat - postheat. Looks like there's plenty of meat/wall thickness in the hub area so the housing is going into the dividing head on the mill. There's enough room to get at least 6 1/4-20 soc. flat heads and a couple of 1/4" dowel pins in there to hold it together!!

It was a heart stopping moment when I looked down at the crank to find the planetary hub broken off!!

The center gear is the "sun" gear that I was attempting to press off.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 2:30pm
brazing is the best way to go Pete, years ago i would cut those drums in half, re-machine the shaft holes, braze back up and re-machine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2010 at 10:47am
I stopped at Napa yesterday to pick up the rings they ordered in. The problem with them not finding the Hastings part numbers I had is due to them not crossing over to the rings they sell. They sell Federal Mogal!!
The set is for 4 cylinders so the two sets I got for $24 will cover me. (remember I need to double up the compression rings due to the originals being 3/16" and replacements are only available in 3/32") The 3/16" oils turned out to be the 3 piece with I preferred over the single piece cast oils.

I feel better now that the sign out front of the Napa is less likely to be changed to Autozone!!! I connected with someone who knew what I needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Disaster this morning! I came in with the crank shaft and planetary gear/clutch assembly this morning to use the press to remove the sun gear off the end of the crank shaft. I broke the hub end out of the cast iron planetary housing

Now I can get back to actually rebuilding the engine and not fixing my screw - ups!!
I was able to get 4 cap screws and 2 dowel pins from the housing into the hub plus epoxy on the break. It went together very cleanly. There's a 2" center bushing that shares both sides of the break so it acted as a pilot.

Here's the back side. The center hub with the added cap screw holes showing is what broke off!

I'm very confident with the repair. No torque is transmitted through the hub. The brass bushing between the planetary hub/housing and the center sun gear shaft is there for when the trans is reversed and the planetary rotates opposite the engine rotation.    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 12:55pm
are there any bushings inside the planet gears?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 2:04pm
Eric,
Yes the 4 planets are bushed. They are in great shape. The only bushing thats needs to be replaced in the one in the center of the sun gear. That's the one that the splined (for the clutch plates) output shaft pilot runs in. The pilot was warn so I reground it. Now that it's a odd undersize, I'm making a custom bushing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 10:35pm
Not much to show today. My parts washer hasn't come in yet so I spent lots of time detailing/cleaning. Even with the piston land scraper, the lands were a real PITA requiring a small wire brush in the Dremel. Ring to land clearances are still within the spec of .0015" to .0035"

Cylinders honed, Pistons ringed and installed:

Using 40's and 50's specs from a similar bore/stroke flat head, here's what I ended up with after course honing, ball (flex) hone and then putting the final cross hatch in with the fine stoned hone:
I'm on the high side of the piston to cylinder at .005" Spec is .004" on three cylinders but no out of round. Same top to bottom.

The bad cylinder that was badly pitted ended up worse at .007". Still some small pits but it's going back together as is!!

Ring gaps where on the high side too running at about .025" to .027" spec is .015" to .020". I'm not too worried about this because of the double 3/32" compression rings in each old 3/16" land.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2010 at 11:45pm
Very cool! Great pictures and details.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 8:28pm
When I bid on the Flexfour engine, I knew it was coming without a valve cover (side cover on a flat head). I suspect that after this engine went under, someone removed the cover to take a look and then tossed it. Going by the pictures I do have of the engine, I had a good idea of what the original looked like. I started with a 3/8" x 4" bar of aluminum, machined the rabbit on the edges and then the radius's. Wanting to make it look like a casting (original would have been cast iron) I used my needle descaler to "distress" the outside surfaces. A added benefit to this distressing is it warped the cover's ends in towards the engine. This is great as there's only one bolt in the middle of the cover (hole in cover is missing still) so it will pull the ends in tight to the block.

BTW, I really find my needle descaler to come in handy for cleaning up things like a engine block. It takes the paint and any rust right off. Saved me $200 for a block boiling!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 10:48am
After more than two weeks, my 20 gal. parts washer I got off ebay hasn't shown up. I emailed the seller and didn't get a responce so I've filed a dispute with Paypal. Maybe that $75 new with a $8 shipping charge was too good to be true! It also seems the seller has removed other idems off ebay! I think I've been scammed???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2010 at 6:50pm
It's been a few years (college - 2 Chrysler flat head 6's) since I've touched a valve grinder and the seat grinding set up but have a friend who loaned me his. When I did the 4 cylinder in the Atom, it needed the block bored for seat inserts (block was too far gone in the seat area) so that went to the machine shop. Got this thing home but think it would have been easier to haul the block and valves over to my friends house! That valve grinder is a big piece of metal and heavy! I almost needed the engine hoist to get it out of the truck.

Well, even though all the years, I didn't forget was how to use the grinder, stone dressing and seat grinding. Actually pretty easy!

I mentioned before that the exhaust seats were pretty pitted. I don't know why they would be any worse that the intakes but they were. Consequently due to the pitting, I did end up grinding fairly deep with them so I did need to do a triple angle seat grind. I feel there's plenty of tappet adjustment to compensate but just in case, the valve grinder does have the valve stem end grinding attachment. All you Ford fanatics - Didn't some of the older Fords require the valve stem ends to be ground for clearance???

Next set is to lap the valves into the seats then on to the cam. more to come with the issue with it!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2010 at 9:11pm
heat pete. i will cut the valves on my lathe very slow, 300 rpm, 45 degrees, does quite well without grinding, but grinding is the way to go, I lap em with a drill and compound, attach the drill and let her rip....i use brown rubbing compound, im cheap lol, but it works quite well also
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2010 at 1:43am
That is neat valve grinder. Just think how much you have pumped up your biceps now Pete

Remember when valve grinders and spark plug cleaners were in almost all mechanics shops. Sure was much more fun then.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic