NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer Templates

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by skfitz skfitz wrote:

So if you go foam-free, and if you leave drain gaps at the bottom of the bulkheads and stringers, does it really matter whether the PVC/bulkhead joints are watertight?

Not if you intend to allow all the under-floor area to drain to the bilge. Some do- including the early glass CC's (mid 60's). I dont.

My thought process is that if you leave a way for water to get out, its also an opportunity for water to get in. That means that every piece of debris that ends up in the bilge could potentially end up under your floor. While I was tinkering with ReidP's '65 Tournament Skier, I found a drain in the main stringers clogged with a few leaves... I cleaned it out and about 15 gallons of water came out. That water had been held between the starboard main stringer and the wall of the boat for who knows how long.

Instead, Im leaving a few dedicated access points to the cavities below the floor in order to drain them in case water ever finds its way in... but I am NOT draining them to the bilge. The idea is to build the boat better than the factory did and never allow water under the floor in the first place- but provide a fail safe just in case it ever does. I think opening up the entire structure to the bilge and inviting water to move freely throughout is a disaster waiting to happen. Just my humble opinion!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by skfitz skfitz wrote:

So if you go foam-free, and if you leave drain gaps at the bottom of the bulkheads and stringers, does it really matter whether the PVC/bulkhead joints are watertight?

Not if you intend to allow all the under-floor area to drain to the bilge. Some do- including the early glass CC's (mid 60's). I dont.

My thought process is that if you leave a way for water to get out, its also an opportunity for water to get in. That means that every piece of debris that ends up in the bilge could potentially end up under your floor. While I was tinkering with ReidP's '65 Tournament Skier, I found a drain in the main stringers clogged with a few leaves... I cleaned it out and about 15 gallons of water came out. That water had been held between the starboard main stringer and the wall of the boat for who knows how long.

Instead, Im leaving a few dedicated access points to the cavities below the floor in order to drain them in case water ever finds its way in... but I am NOT draining them to the bilge. The idea is to build the boat better than the factory did and never allow water under the floor in the first place- but provide a fail safe just in case it ever does. I think opening up the entire structure to the bilge and inviting water to move freely throughout is a disaster waiting to happen. Just my humble opinion!

I think opening up the entire structure to the bilge and inviting water to move freely throughout is a disaster waiting to happen.

The few old boats I've seen that haven't had rotted stringers were built this way.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The few old boats I've seen that haven't had rotted stringers were built this way.

Bruce, I think allowing the structure to breathe is a good thing- and thats what kept these old boats relatively rot free. However, if one of the drains plugs up and traps water, youre no better off than a foamed boat... maybe worse. Being able to get water out is definitiely the way to go, but Im also not going to give it a way in.
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 4:41pm
Question ??

OK, I have all my foam in and started glassing in the floor on the drivers starting at the back working my way forward.

I have a question... Is it necessary to glass over the foam and stringers where I will be placing the 3/4" Plywood ?

I was planning on the following:

1. No glass over the foam and Stringers under the plywood
   (I did incase the stringers when they were installed)
2. Precut plywood, treat with CPES, place 1 lift of Biaxel on the bottom side.
3. Install the plywood and cover the top with 4 layers of Biaxel. (4 layers was recomended US Composites to achieve about 1/4" of total glass)

Thanks guys....

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2010 at 4:50pm
I understand what you're saying Tim, and I liked the story a while back about gas mixed with water going in through the drains and turning pool noodles into napalm, but I bet you've never had a leaf or any other kind of debris in your bilge.

I'd love to see someone tear into a 1993 and up boat to see if there are any problems because of the foam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 12:40am
1988 Project Boat update:

Started glassing in the floor... going pretty well. Layer # 1 Biaxel

Battery Box - Vents, cable runs, drain finished. Just need to glass the bulkhead more, especially around the PVC

Next step is to precut the 3/4" plywood for the front floor, glass the bottom, install and begin glassing the top side.

Back to real job now. Progress has slowed some but still coming along.

How much epoxy resin have some of you other guys used in your total stringer/floor rebuilds ?

My total materials cost is nearing $1,700.00

where do you guys buy your marine carpet from ? What weight ?

Thanks Dennis

Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by 82 Nautique 1 82 Nautique 1 wrote:

How much epoxy resin have some of you other guys used in your total stringer/floor rebuilds ?

My total materials cost is nearing $1,700.00

I think most will agree that you'll need about 10 gallons or so on a boat that size.

$1700 includes the cost of the wood, correct? Are you counting shipping costs too? Sounds a little high, but within reason.

The original carpet in '88 would have been in the 16oz-20oz range. 28oz became an option in '93 and is noticeably plusher. Starting in '03 or '04 Correct Craft went to 40oz. The only downsides to the plusher carpet are that it holds more water and can be a little tougher to work with when installing. One thing to keep in mind with the delux interiors starting in '87 is that the motorbox has a carpet around the bottom that you may want to match on the floor (or replace both at once). I went with a factory carpet on my '90, but have since used Marine Carpeting on several projects. Their website has always been pretty cumbersome, but their prices are very reasonable and their customer service has been very good. I suggest you call and have them send you a handful of samples in the colors and weights youre considering. You should be good with the 6' width, by the way. Id recommend getting 40-50 feet in order to give you enough for the floor, walls and all the panels.
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2010 at 4:36pm

I wanted to go with something as close to original as possible. I bought my carpet from perfectfit.com. I got 12 yards of Bayshore Marine charcoal delivered for $260. It's nearly identical to the original carpet.

Bayshore Marine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 4:46pm
More advice needed:

1. Glue for gluing new carpet back onto the new fiberglass floor, and supplier ?

2. What have you guys used to glue or reattach the black carpet strips where the carpet seams meet on the edges ? I think some were glued and some stapled

3. Does anyone have a picture of a 1988 Engine hatch showing the inside where the hinges and some aluminum strap and cable were attached. The boat I am working on and putting back was pretty much gone when I bought it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 6:17pm

More advice needed:

1. Glue for gluing new carpet back onto the new fiberglass floor, and supplier ?

Do a search for "Henrys" adhesives. I can't remember the number but they make two outdoor adhesives. One is water resistent and the other water proof. Look for the water proof. It was recommended to me by a friend whos bussiness is carpet. Great stuff.

2. What have you guys used to glue or reattach the black carpet strips where the carpet seams meet on the edges ? I think some were glued and some stapled

I know Tim (TRBeng) struggled with his but did a great job. I'm sure he'll be along and comment. He could even link you to his thread.

3. Does anyone have a picture of a 1988 Engine hatch showing the inside where the hinges and some aluminum strap and cable were attached. The boat I am working on and putting back was pretty much gone when I bought it.

Dennis

Can't help with this one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 7:15pm
I used 3m 4200 to secure it to the floor along the sides. I used 3m Super 77 to secure to the edges of the access panel over the shaft, etc.
The Super77 is ok and has held, but it not ideal by any means.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 7:34pm

Dennis

Dennis, there are a couple pics of my hatch cover from when we re-did the interior. Hope they help

Interior re-install

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2010 at 9:48pm
Ryan,

Yes thanks the picture helps a lot. The aluminum straps are what I was talking about.

It appears that those screw down to the Plywood floor cover and the "CHEeSEY PLASTIC" motor cover hinges plastic piece goes between the aluminum and the pin with the black ball goes down through the hinge and floor panel.

On my 82 they used a different style hinge.

Thanks Ryan
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
inglesideshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2010 at 9:32pm
on my 89 got the carpet from kendor marine in wis..also switched the dog house mounts with the older style,they had those to... as for the carpet glue use contac cement its used for making countertops and works exclent for carpet..just put a fan in the boat to help with the fumes..    
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2010 at 11:05pm
Need a little help :

Can someone with a 1988 2001 SN give me the measurement from the center point of the rudder to the center point of the steering cable block clamp bolt.

I did not get the measurement before I removed the stringers.

Thanks much

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2010 at 11:11pm
Shawes you purchased ?

Do you have the part # for the hinges you purchased from Kender Marine ?

I know I can buy the 1982 style from Christine's

What weight carpet did you buy 20 oz ?? color ?

I need the darker Charcoal color

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2010 at 11:13pm
Shawn, sorry for the spelling ......
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 1:14pm
Dennis, I can get the measurement, but it will be a few weeks before I'm back at my boat and I'm sure you'll have moved along quite a bit since then.

Instead, couldn't you just attach the cable to the rudder arm and get everything centered up. Then mark center on the stringer and drill the clamp block hole. You shouldn't need to install the helm side as long as the rudder end is centered. It will be a rough guess, but IIRC there is about 6" of adjustment on the rudder end of the cable anyway.

Also, whitelake sells carpet in 16,28 and 40oz
Factory Carpet

I will say if you're going to go with the 16, just go to lowes and buy their gray outdoor cut pile. It's nearly identical to the factory stuff that was in my boat. And I just used outdoor adhesive to glue it down.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 2:54pm
Bremson is 100% correct... you'll need to go through the same set up to make sure the clamp block is in the correct position anyways (even throw in both directions) so you may as well center your hole based on this. Alternatively, you could make a bracket out of a piece of angle aluminum and attach it to the strut bolts. Thats how newer Nautiques are set up (89+) and you wont have to worry about sealing up a hole in the stringer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 3:07pm
Poobah,

Any pictures of that type bracket setup from 80 +

I like the idea of not drilling a hole in the stringer if it can be avoided.

Thanks

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2010 at 10:39pm
Recent topic:

Steering cable mount
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
inglesideshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 12:16am
no clue what the part number for those hinges are,but they are the same as the rear seat mounts.. they have a section with any kind of hinge thats avalible..went with the dark gray carpet illput a pic up.my 2 cents is to use cement for the rubbber strips on the edges,3-m 5200 peels up..
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 1:25pm
Site etique:

Need opinion of guys.

I am almost done with my glass work on the 88 I am rebuilding. I have left over materials that I did not use. I want to help someone out that may be able to use the suplies and would sell to them 50% cost of what I paid from USC. Is it in appropriate to list the items here ? Want to do the correct thing.

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 1:49pm
Dennis,
Depending on how much is left over, you may want to consider hanging on to the stuff. I've had resins/hardners for years without problems. handy to have around for lots of projects.

Shipping may be a issue with opened containers.

I'd list the items and see if someone close to you is interested.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 1:55pm
Pete,

Thanks.. you bring up a good point. I may do that.

I will see what is left when I am 100 % done with this boat

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
jbenbri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbenbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2010 at 4:49pm
Dennis, I would be interested in some of the supply. Ben 678-850-6015

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2010 at 1:43pm
Bilgekote ??

Need advice here guy's

I am ready to paint my bilge and I purchased Bilgekote.
Has anyone painted this product through a air sprayer ?

Is the 216 special thinner they suggest using the only type that can be used to thin the product ?

I have sanded the old factory grey gelcoat covering off that the factory applied. Do I need to prep with anything prior to spraying ?

Thanks

Dennis
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2010 at 2:25pm
Dennis,
The 216 "special" is just a slower thinner than the 333 which is meant for brushing. I take it you don't have ether? If you don't want to wait for the 216, I'd go the hardware and get some toluene. Take a small amount of the bilgekote and add small amount of the solvent. See what happens but I doubt it will kick it out of solution. I use the toluene for spraying reduction on all sorts of alykd oil based paints.

No prep beyond a sanding and solvent wipe is needed to the existing.

BTW, are you sure you want to spray it? It lays out real nice with the brush and then you wouln't need to cover everything and get the gun dirty!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2010 at 2:27pm
I painted it on with a brush and it really laid down nicely. Unless youre super picky, I wouldnt bother spraying it. I just cleaned with acetone first.

Unfortunately, these are the best pics I have:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2010 at 2:52pm
Yes, I have brushed it before. After reading some of the posts here and sanding off the factory grey gelcoat for the new glass application at the stringers, I thought it be best to sand the entire bilge.

I see Bills post that he sprayed it and after reading about spraying I was concerned about the thinner and prep before applying.

So , just wipe clean with acetone and paint it ?

Thanks guys
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic