NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 31>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

What's up with the fishing seat, where'd the fiberglass pedestal go?

While the pedestal is being finished, I borrowed the seat out of my Bass Nautique.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

While the pedestal is being finished, I borrowed the seat out of my Bass Nautique.

Do you seriously have a Bass Nautique?

How many CCs are you up to now?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

Do you seriously have a Bass Nautique?

How many CCs are you up to now?

Ha, no- I figured one smart azz comment deserved another! The fishing boat seat came in my Ski Tique when I bought it- the original frames had been cut down, so I bought new ones for when I reupholstered it. Repairing these have been on my to-do list for a while and Ill get to it eventually- but in the meantime, it makes a good "test seat". I used it to help me figure out where to put the pockets... and I was able to keep the original BFN seat out of the filthy boat for now.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2011 at 11:58am
Tim and Greg, Looking good!
Like the side pockets/ beer holders
Man, that pylon setup is gonna be SOLID too.

Taking a saw to a completely good motorbox- now that takes some nerve.
I had a hard enough time just drilling a couple holes to mount my bimi top...

Good luck this weekend guys!
-Brad
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2011 at 4:45pm
Thanks Brad! We weren't very productive this weekend, as I was in my buddy's wedding on Sat... but yesterday we got back to work.

Dad installed the new (longer) clamp tube to go along with the longer throw steering cable. One more hole to drill out for the clamp block and the steering system is done.

HW helped me decide on how to best mount the tank last week. We were considering emulating the original configuration where the tank mounted to firring strips via the end tabs, and the strips were attached to the stringers. Instead, we chose to go with a solution that more closely mimics the later tank mounting style with straps and threaded rods.

Buffalo's '88:

The only problem was that we dont have a welder to attach the threaded rods to the straps, and didnt really want to deal with the hassle and cost of having something fabricated for this. Instead, I looked at this article where they made their own straps from 1/8" aluminum stock and secured the ends with T-bolts. Of course, the special T-bolts used in the article cost $30/ea, so that was a little pricey. McMaster didnt offer any other materials besides straight steel, so it was back to the drawing board. I ended up finding these SS specialty fasteners from a sail boat supply house. No need to bend the clamps around a T-bolt with these, even better.

We made new (longer) brackets for the tank to sit on. Just need to drill some holes to accept the clamps, and the tank is done.

The straps are the same, front and back. I have some 1/8" rubber to put between the strap and tank- with that installed, they fit nice and snug.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 2:09pm
Well, I seem to be talking to myself again... but I guess its too late to abandon this thread- so I will continue with the updates until its done!

Getting the last of the foam and glue off the motorbox proved quite a challenge, but we're almost there. I want to do a bit of sanding and buffing on it before we split it so it will be easier to color match the gel in the widened section. Ive got some abralon pads on the way to speed up that process.

We got a few coats of thickened resin on the driver's seat base... hopfully now we can sand it, then coat with vinylester, then gelcoat.

One more coat of paint on the battery box:

Test fit the gas tank with new straps and brackets... we have some 3/4" coosa spacers under the tank to increase clearance to the exhaust hose (removed in the picture) but everything seemed to fit great.

We built some backers that we will install on the floor, that the removeable panel in front of the gas tank will rest against. Hopefully they will also keep any water on the floor from running into the rear pockets.

We also made some progress on the pockets. We cut the holes for the cupholders and 12v outlets, then bedded them, and taped them to the hull. One coat of fairing on as well.

A few things need to happen first, but our stretch goal for this week is to at least start putting the carpet down.
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 2:35pm
Its looking good Tim. Keep the updates coming!!!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 3:16pm
Since you require X amount of "atta boys" per update, let me say it looks great, can't wait to see it in person, love it, etc.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 3:28pm
Ha, thanks Joel. Not looking for accolades- just figured there would be *something* worth discussing every once in a while. Any questions/comments/concerns are always welcome! As proactive as we've tried to be, there have been plenty of "Hmm, we didnt think of that- now what?" moments along the way!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 3:33pm
This thing is looking great. I think most of us are really just tuning in to find out how fast the dam thing is going to go.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 3:36pm
Tim, looking great! How did you fasten the straps on the rear of the tank? Will you put foam or rubber between the tank and angle iron to prevent chafing?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 3:42pm
Ha, thanks Craig- we're pretty curious ourselves!

Bruce, the straps are symmetrical. They are u-shaped with the threaded rod pieces on both sides, so they through bolt to the brackets both front and back. I wish I had thought to take a picture before disassembling the whole thing... I wanted to put some resin on the spacer blocks.

You can see the hole in the bracket where the strap bolts to it here:

We have some 1/8" thick rubber strips that will stick to the inside of the straps (to keep them from chaffing on the tank). Or did you mean between the tank and the angle used for the lifting ring? We dont have much clearance to that- but Im hoping they dont come into contact when the tank is finally installed. I may hit the angle with a grinder to give us a little more breathing room. If you meant the angle aluminum brackets that the tank is sitting on, there will be some 3/4" coosa spacers between them and the tank, so there wont be any metal on metal contact there.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 3:50pm
This really going to be a one of a kind! I bet you are pumped to get her on the water.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 5:10pm

Ha, thanks Joel. Not looking for accolades- just figured there would be *something* worth discussing every once in a while. Any questions/comments/concerns are always welcome! As proactive as we've tried to be, there have been plenty of "Hmm, we didnt think of that- now what?" moments along the way!

Just kidding, obviously. Along these lines, though, how's it going with the steering wheel? That boat better not hit the water with the two-spoke BassMaster wheel.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 5:23pm
Again about the wheel!

Its good for testing the steering system for now... once we get closer to going in the water, an original 3 spoke wheel is going on (thanks to Chris/Storm34).
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2011 at 5:27pm
Tim, Looking good! You mentioned something in another thread about making it to WL? Any possibility this BFN will head south for that event?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 5:17am
Tim, that's great work, with attention to detail!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2011 at 9:56am
Tim, I was talking about between the angle and the tank for chafing.    I couldn't see how you'd fasten those clamps in the rear, which was a problem I had with our Mustang. Your solution is better than what we used.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 4:14pm
Steve, Im not sure if I would tug the BFN to White Lake in a few weeks or not. We'll have to see how finished it is, and what my schedule looks like. Gonna be a last minute decision either way.

We made a bit of progress this week. We bedded and fillet the rear panel backers:

Once cleaned up, we got them covered in resin:

We covered the gas tank spacers in blue resin as well.

We also added a little more glass to the pockets, then cut and bedded a lip onto the edge. The thinking was that adding some thickness to this edge would make it easier to wrap the carpet around it (as well as look and wear better).

Once dry, we trimmed them up, filleted around the trim, and added a piece of glass over them. This may very well be the last piece of glass added to this project! Theres still plenty of resin coating/gelcoating left, unfortunately (panels, etc).

The only thing holding us up on carpet at this point is the fact that the rear panel backers will likely require at least one more coat (maybe 2?) of blue resin. In the meantime, we'll turn our attention to the motorbox, driver's seat pedestal, etc.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 5:13pm
It's probably an insult to your guys' attention to detail, but do those pockets have drains in them? If not those may make some nice live-wells, which would go nice with the steering wheel...(jab)

Looks great.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 5:20pm
Ha, good question. Dad and I were discussing that very thing earlier this week. The pockets are currently sealed off, but the cupholders may be a potential intrusion point... so a drain is most definitely going to be added. Still have that hole to drill, as well as the access holes for the wiring going to the 12v outlets.

As soon as the carpet is in, the steering wheel can go! Im going to put it on ebay... I bet someone with a vintage Malibu is going to pay big bucks for it!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 6:11pm
Tim,
Just so you don't get the idea that you're talking to yourself again, I have been following the progress.....

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2011 at 8:51pm
Aedes aegypti?   

Slicky slick Tim.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 8:19pm
A second coat of blue resin was all it took to cover the rear panel backers, so we proceeded to start carpeting yesterday. The sides are on, just need some final trimming at the floor, and some final touches on the pockets. The floor piece will go on next.

The wrinkles seen towards the bow on both sides were creases from when the carpet was stored... we rolled everything out as best we could, and everything seems to have laid smooth. Im hoping the visible wrinkles are simply in the pyle of the carpet and will lay flat after a little while. We hung the floor piece out today in hopes of preventing any more wrinkles from forming.
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 9:56pm

Looking real good Tim !!

And your helpers as well....
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 5:49am
Tim dont get discouraged about lack of posts. There has to be tons of lurkers following this thread. Plus there are lots of guys who are BD like myself and cant afford to buy a boat. That just enjoy watchin these threads. The other guys who dont respond have no clue what you are doing and realize the His and Her tool set from Target will not allow them to pull a project off like this.

Waldo
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 9:04am
Nice colour match with the blue carpet and resin.

Come on Tim bolt that "Big Block" in and get this thing wet.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 2:41pm
Thanks guys.

Mark, not sure if you can tell from the pics, but the carpet is actually a mix of light and dark blues. Its not quite the same as original, which would have been blue and black astroturf- but this is as close as we can get nowadays. We got lucky with the bilge color matching the darker hue in the carpet pretty well!
TX Wind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 3:34pm
Wow Tim! That's nice work. That's all I can say. Wow!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2011 at 3:36pm
meh..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526 31>
  Share Topic