NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teak Looks Like Cr@P!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2009 at 9:30pm
We put our wakeboards on while on the platform & scuff it up pretty good.

We just touched it up before heading to Green lake, the rest of the time it looks like we use it for it's intended function.

I think the polished one's look great though!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2009 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

There was a thread here a year or so ago about a mastercraft guy that had perfected some elaborate process for re-doing his teak deck. It was something like a 16-18 hour process all told. Claimed that it required only light maintenance for a long period after that. If I can find it I will post it.
That said, I have not touched mine in years, but may do the Mustang deck in the Spring.

Mike, here is the MC Teak Refinishing Link
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2009 at 12:56am
It all started when my wife wanted to re deck the front porch. Enter Ipe.
I had one extra piece and you know how it goes. In a Saturday with about $ 45 (total in wood) and $20 in SS screws I was able to build a new swim platform. It came out the "nines". No special tools...table saw, jig saw, belt sander,planer, armstrong(for the finish work). I wish I could post a photo... but I need help!New may be a better answer than refinish!!
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

There was a thread here a year or so ago about a mastercraft guy that had perfected some elaborate process for re-doing his teak deck. It was something like a 16-18 hour process all told. Claimed that it required only light maintenance for a long period after that. If I can find it I will post it.
That said, I have not touched mine in years, but may do the Mustang deck in the Spring.

Mike, here is the MC Teak Refinishing Link

Thanks for the link to the article. There seems to be a lot of sanding involved, which I am at a loss to see the need for, other than to bring up the lustre. Six coats of Starbrite will get the job done for sure. Incidentally that is the product I used earlier in this thread. Mine finish lasted about 2/3 of a season, but I only used 2 coats. I recoated my platform already, but may try the method indicated in the link with the wet sanding just to see how it works.
Got Foot?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 4:29pm
The process is painstaking, but the finish product is worth it. I did mine 2 years ago and only now is it needing the full-up process again. Last winter I only touched it up- no cleaning involved. If my lift hadnt broken for 3 weeks this past summer, who knows how long it would have lasted! It was smooth and looked awesome to boot.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2010 at 4:31pm
May be worth a try. Gotta do something to break the winter doldrums!
Got Foot?
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2010 at 1:43am
Has anyone used West's brand of teak cleaners and sealers? They are cheap?
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2010 at 6:04pm
I use that Starbright teek oil.. Works pretty good..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2010 at 3:03pm

Yeah, that method works pretty well even though it is overkill. I use a modified version of it and only have to touch up my teak in the spring. About every 5 years or so, I'll strip it down and start from scratch.

He basically gets it down to bare wood and a medium grit, oils with the SB teak sealer (cheap stuff in the white bottle). He sands between coats and gets it up to about 2000 grit wet sand. He lets it dry completely in the sun in between coats. The last coat, he puts on with his bare hand (this works really well).

It looks really nice and is very durable, even if you're like me and put your skis on while on the platform. It is also not slick even though it appears to be that way.

My method doesn't use nearly as many coats, but holds up well and looks nice.

/edit. Whoops, seems like this has already been covered. Sorry for the redundancy.

1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 2:26am
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

OK. so I thought I would close the loop on this one. Pictured below is my teak deck after about 3 months of use after being treated with Starbrite. I had it in the water 2-3 days per week, sometimes docked a couple days in a row. I think it wore pretty well. it did better than the teal oil and better than "Teakgard" brand.

I bought the Starbrite 3 step and no where on any of the bottles does it say to let it dry between steps.
1997 Sport Nautique
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 10:05am
It need to dry between the cleaning and when you start to but oil on it or the oil won't soak in. Then a day or so after your last coat of oil before it sees the water will help it last a little longer. I have the best luck if I clean it on Saturday morning and do the oil on Sunday, this time of year the sun is your friend and speeds the dry times. If the last coat of oil goes on Monday morning, then it should be ready to go Tuesday evening. I prefer to do it when I have even more time than that, but that works well with my summer holiday detail schedual Memorial Day and Labor Day.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 4:00am
A bit off-topic but related: anyone know anything about types of wood for the platform? Mine's pretty much shot and a friend is gonna make a copy of the original. He has some 'corteza' which is one of the hardest and most durable types of wood there is. It's incredibly heavy. Will last much longer than teak but doesn't look as good, probably.
Any reason not to go with corteza? Any reason to stick with teak? I saw in the store on this site that they're selling platforms made of Jatoba, also harder than teak. No idea if that's available here and what it's called in spanish.
Anyway, all input is welcome. Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 9:24am
"Ipe, lapacho, cortez
Local Name: Corteza, corteza amarilla
Botanical Name: Tabebuia spp"

Ipe is a good choice as a replacement for Teak.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 1:45pm
Awesome Pete, thanks very much for the quick reply!
Is there ANYTHING you don't know about ANY CC?!
Thanks again and I'll post a pic of the platform in a couple weeks' time when I'm back from vacation.
Thanks!
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 2:56am
Old and new

Old

New

It was about time...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 9:29am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LilRichard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 10:51am
Wow, that looks great!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 1:48pm
Looks good.

Have you water tested it? how does it works wet, is it slippery?

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 5:00pm
I'm trying a product designed for hardwood decks, Messmer's UV Plus. It is nearly water thin in the can, as the carrier flashes off, it becomes more viscous. It penetrates well because of this, I'll let you know the results.

No matter the products I have tried, many very thin, wiped-on, coats last much longer than one or two heavy coats. I lightly sand between coats with a very fine sanding sponge, tack off the dust, then wipe another coat on. Only takes a couple of minutes per coat.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 6:03pm
Thanks y'all! I've put 2 layers of Starbrite Teak sealer on it, not slippery at all.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 7:28pm
I still use the Starbrite. It can look beat up if people put skis and boards on while on the deck and the fins scrape it. I strip mine and redo it once a year. The color with Starbrite is not as natural as the oil. it looks good, and yes, it is non-slip.

Nice job on the rebuilt deck, TRIP!
Got Foot?
newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2012 at 8:34pm
Starbrite and 80/120/220 sanding
1986sn 2001
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2013 at 5:14pm
Reviving this old thread to ask which type of screw is best used for the deck?
I have to keep my boat in the water most of the time. When I take it out and the platform dries the wood shrinks and some screws have already broken off completely. Stuff is hard to find around here but if I first know what to look for...
Thanks!
85nautiquematt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2013 at 5:43pm
Sand with 220 grit until smooth. Then use a meduim wood stain using a small rage to apply. It may appear dark, do not worry. Then use orange oil or beez wax and rub it in with a rag. The teak platform will look great for a year then repeat, although now you probably wont need to sand again.This is my tried and true method I use on my Nautique and my old mans Response.
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 8:26pm
I use the 3 step Star Brite, cleaner, bleach, oil. Been done since July '12 still looks good. My pics are too big or I'd post them.
Trip, my father in law used a set of stainless screws that have aggressive threads at the tip, then a blank shaft and then threads at the top, with a torx socket. He uses them on his deck for the same reason, and you can get them at Home Depot.
1987 SN 2001 Barn Find aka "Nauti" (sold sadly)
1988 MC Anniversary Prostar 190
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 2:29pm
Thanks for the tip Nauti87!
Gonna see if I can find them locally (doubt it) otherwise will look for someone who can get them at Home depot and get them my way.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 2:56pm
Nauti87
All of our pictures are too big...we shrink them and post them. Get on board.
This is the life
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 8:29pm
I know!
1987 SN 2001 Barn Find aka "Nauti" (sold sadly)
1988 MC Anniversary Prostar 190
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic