NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

V-drive 2001 SN

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V-drive 2001 SN
    Posted: July-09-2009 at 1:31am
http://www.the2001.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1184&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

it's beautiful!!!!

I wonder on gear reduction, he might need a 4 blade now!
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 4:17am
Wow, I just found it on Wake World. I thought more people here would appreciate the work that went into it as well as the fact that he tried to make it look as classy as the original, and he even kept the ring. I expect we'll see some more of these conversions next spring.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 9:48am
That looks awesome!!
A real beauty! Great work.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 3:20pm
Thats bad ass I love the wood deck on the back. And he didnt put a tower on it :)
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 12:04am
look at this guys exhaust assembly...

I wonder if the manifolds could have been interchanged or the risers put backwards at least to save for that 180º curve.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 5:17am
You'd still need the same bends no matter which way the risers face. If you turned them around, there would be no room for mufflers.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 5:46pm
changing belts and impeller i guess it harder on that configuration.. hull looks it was stretchened a little bit right?
I looks good though..
I always wonder how hard is to do that conversion.. how about a 1992 sn vdrive? I´m at point that could turn to it.... I need a v-drive and engineer the back deck...But the euro tail would sacrifice some space though...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 6:34pm
Do yall know if he put the swimdeck back on?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 6:56pm
No room for mufflers= no problems!

The swim platform is there, take a closer look. Must be in the original place but sunk due to the added weight in the back.

skimzone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 9:34pm
Dammit Man!!! I am going to re-think my whole boat build now!! That is Freakin sweet!!! Its like an old barrel back or utility and modern ski hit each other and- here's what happened. I've got a couple junk v-drives layn around- HMMMMMMMMMM, wonder what it would cost. I wish there were some pics of the foward engine compartment work- I would like to see the joint behind the seat. Dam nice lookin.
'78 ski nautique
'01 sport air nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 9:46pm
skimzone
I had the same thoughts when I saw this!!!

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 9:58pm
skimzone you better do this on a 2001 hull, since the older SN hull were quite narrower and I dont think it could end up well.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2009 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

look at this guys exhaust assembly...
I wonder if the manifolds could have been interchanged or the risers put backwards at least to save for that 180º curve.

Luciano;
The early Separators when they first came out had the manifolds reversed. The exhaust was straight out through the transom. Then, evidently CC thought they were too loud so the manifolds were reversed, the elbows added and the exhaust went out through the transom just at the water level like a DD.

The Separators/Torinos were among the early V drives just as boat builders like Donzi were.

I'd have to say that even with the bends, it's less restrictive than a I/O with through prop underwater exhaust.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sam57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2009 at 12:37am
I had a 82 CC Riviera V-Drive with a Chevrolet PCM. The risers were on backwards and went thru 2 90deg elbows with a 8in metal tube between, then into a heavy metal muffler about 14in long X 6in dia then thru the transom. And yes, it was a S.O.B. to work on the water pump, alternator, or belts. I had to remove the rear seat and battery and lay beside the engine so I could see what I was doing.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2009 at 1:12am
at least he installed a dripless seal so he wont fight the packing gland!
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2009 at 1:45am
Looks like he has created some maintenance issues trying to get the motor as far back as possible. My Excel has a giant Invertaflow between the engine and the transom, so it is almost as easy to get around everything on the front of the motor as a DD. Bad thing is it costs me some interior space.

The plumbing doesn't look good either, raw water strainer on one side, and the transmission cooler on the other. I'd like to see the other side to see how that works.
SN2001fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 1:50pm
that is so cool!!
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 2:47pm
Ok Yeah... That's Awesome!

I'm not a big fan of V-Drives in general & i can't say I'd do that, but I love that the guy did it & did it well. It looks clean & classic. I love the engine hatch. Very Nicely done!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
skimzone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2009 at 2:00am
I wonder how the 90's slow down exhaust performance- if any. I guess its a short run- but for sure it takes thought to work the bugs out when planning this type of build.
'78 ski nautique
'01 sport air nautique
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2009 at 3:57am
Could a composite constrution SN be converted to V drive.?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

Could a composite constrution SN be converted to V drive.?

I guess it could be done, the issue with the 93' and newer would be deck cleareance I think.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2009 at 3:11pm
I'll bring this back to life as there's other 2001 being converted to Vdrive.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2009 at 7:36pm
84 Resto (Dan)

Your boat turned out awesome!

Curious what Lake you are on.
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 3:14am

Do tell.!

Details.?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

Do tell.!

Details.?

Andrew, Discussed here in the "maintenance" forum.
84resto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84resto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2009 at 11:02pm
Luchog, sorry i havent replied to your questions. I copied them form the other thread and will answer here.

Do you have any pics of your boat running? did it end up too bow high?
What prop did you finally put on? and what kind of performance are you getting out of it?
Does it porpoise at high speeds? if so where at?
Did you consider a different route for the exhaust pipes avoiding the U bend?

I do have pictures of the boat running including wake pictures, and a ton of pictures of us surfing. I will do my best to post this week.

My prop is an Acme 650 4 blade.

I get some porpoising over 35mph. Im going to put an adjustable wake plate on over the winter to help shape my surfwake and should eliminate porpoising at higher speeds.

I dont see how i could route the exhaust any other way.   If the risers were flipped around there would be no room for the exhaust. I didnt notice any negative effects from adding the extra 90 degree elbow and making a U.

form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2009 at 11:55pm
Resto,Does the boat porpose when your ballast are full?
Second I am trying to design a layout under my floor and the ballast weight front to back is a bit of a mystery.I guess your really the only person in the world that would know?At this point I am assuming 50/50 unless you tell me otherwise.
Thanks
84resto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84resto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2009 at 12:13am
The boat porpoises with ballast completely empty at around 35-36 with a slight very gentle bounce then get worse from there as you go faster.

I wouldnt put any infloor ballast. the amount of space in your floor is minimal, the amountof work and $$ involved wouldnt pay off for what you get. Plus if somethign goes wrong and you get a clog or something youd have to tear the floor up.   If you are desperate for more weight if make some openable hatches and throw lead under the floor. -jmho

s far as porpoising when ballast is full. When i have ballast int eh boat i never go close to full speed. Max is 22-24 for wake boarding. Now, you can easilly fit more ballast in teh back of the boat even with the engine taking up room back ther ethen you can fit int eh nose.   So with ballast full it would make the porpoising problem worse. When i wakeboard i seriously didnt need to put much weight in the boat. the wake is already jacked up from stock with the difference in weighting position due to engine move.   Max i would add ~ 400 pounds to the rear bags and then try and balance that with filling the nose.   

What is your plan as far as ballast setup, seating, fuel tank? what do you use the boat for? Wakeboarding or surfing or a combo? Which one do you do more of?

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2009 at 1:01am
I'd try putting on the fuel tank as forward as possible, for every inch you move it forward you get less bouncing. It would also help soften the wake a little.

Then I'd have a hard tank or bag under the bow for those times when you are loading it on the back or you really want to mellow the wake.
You could also add 2 hard tanks on the engine hatch under the gunnels.
form&function View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote form&function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2009 at 1:14am
Wakeboarding is the main focal point of our boat and space is our main issue.We ride heavy and as a family so ballast and storage layout are very important.From my ruff calculations I can fit 25 gallons of fuel and 50 gallons water under the center up into the bow without compromising flooring.If I raise the floor a few inches under the bow it should allow enough ballast to compensate the rear lockers and still have room for life jackets and what not.
For seating we will probably stick with the wrap around and gain a little storage under the seats.

About the porposing I wouldn't worry about it to much,I have owned half a dozen wakeboats and they all porpose to some degree.Thats why almost all new ones come with wakeplates.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic