Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

drive shaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jblmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: drive shaft
    Posted: July-01-2009 at 3:15pm
How do you remove the drive shaft from a 1976 ski tique?
JBLMArk76
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 3:50pm
Remove prop, loosen shaft log packing nut, loosen set screw in coupler at back of tranny , unbolt 4 bolts from said coupler,... then pray you can get the tapered coupling loose from the shaft. (note, you may not need to remove the coupler if the shaft will pull out of it-
its on a keyway and they have been known to be a "little" stubborn).

The shaft should slide thru the floor, out the back . Im not sure about the rudder on that boat, but it I think it will slide past?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 4:22pm
Mark,
Is the shaft bent? Just wondering why you need to pull it.

Just as Steve (62wood) mentioned, the tough part is getting the coupling half off the shaft. It's (should be) a inteference fit between the bore of the coupling and the OD of the shaft. The coupling bore should be around .0005 to .001 undersize. Installing the coupling requires it to be heated in a oven so it expands. Now back to getting it off!! The area is usually too tight to get any kind of a puller in there. One method that most will use is to find a deep socket just under the 1" shaft size. The coupling halves are pulled apart and the socket is placed between the prop shaft and the trans shaft. Then longer fine threaded rod is used in place of the original bolts used to hold the two halves together. As each nut is slowly and alternately tightened on the threaded rod, they will now pull the coupling halves together but because you have the socket against the prop shaft, it will be slowly pushed out the tail end of the coupling!

Sometimes I think it's easier to pull the engine so the prop shaft can be removed by pulling it forward!!!!

A word of caution - if your shaft comes out easy and has signs of fretting (black or rusty smut on the shaft) then your boat has been run with the engine and prop shaft out of alignment. This isn't good because it will cause trans damage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jblmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 5:18pm
Thanks,

Did that and not budging. What ese can I do,

Thanks again
JBLMArk76
jblmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 5:22pm
Unfortunatley yes. A home dial indicator says a bend with loads of vibration. When splitting the coupler do you place a screw driver to start?

Thanks,

Mark
JBLMArk76
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by jblmark jblmark wrote:

Thanks,

Did that and not budging. What ese can I do,

Thanks again

Originally posted by jblmark jblmark wrote:

Unfortunatley yes. A home dial indicator says a bend with loads of vibration. When splitting the coupler do you place a screw driver to start?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, Sorry I'm confussed. You said you tried the deep socket trick and it didn't work and then ask about using a screwdriver to separate the coupling halves. The coupling haves need to be pulled apart to get the socket in there. I do have a sketch of the process I can post if you don't fully understand it.

Well, if the shaft is bent and are getting a new one instead of trying to get the old straightened, you can always get the Sawsall out and cut the shaft off. Then get the coupling into a press to get the piece of shaft out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jblmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 6:23pm
Sorry to be some what thick but could you post the drawings.

Thanks

Mark
JBLMArk76
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 7:07pm
Mark,
Tell me what you did try that didn't work. Carefully read my post describing the proceedure again.

The sketch must be saved on my home computer but I did a search and found it in another thread on coupling removal. other thread
The search tool is wonderfull!!!

Are you going to have the shaft straightened or install new?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jblmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 7:42pm
Thank you so much.

I ordered a new one. I was concerned about heat straightening due too the liability of an easy break.

I am new to Correct Craft and I'm thrilled to find this site and the help. I've got two boys and we have been Wakeboardeding and love the way boat pulls.
JBLMArk76
jblmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 7:48pm
I see what you're talking about and thought that is what I should try. The trouble is the coupler even with the bolts out is sealed together. I thought If I could get a screw drive and pry to the face plates a part I could expose the shaft and try the spacer trick.
JBLMArk76
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 8:05pm
Mark,
The coupler has a machined flange. Try tapping at various places around the perimeter with a sharp chisel at the joint while rotating it.

Your kids will be the envy of the neighborhood with the 'tique..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2009 at 8:10pm
Mark,
Hers a link to a post with pictures from Skidim..   The coupler has adifferent fastning system, but you can see how the bolts work.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jblmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 10:04am
That's perfect. I thought that's what you meant in your write up. I'll try sperating the coupler with the chisle gently.

Thanks again.
JBLMArk76
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 10:16am
Mark,
Since you are getting a new shaft, I'd get the Sawsall out i mentioned. It's allot easier than messing with getting the coupling off!!

Which shaft did you order? The same straight end at the coupling or the double taper(one at each end)? If you are getting the single taper, did you order it with the coupling half and are they going it fit the coupling? Remember it's a interference (-.0005" to .001") fit that requires the coupling to be heated.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 10:19am
im finding lately its cheaper to go with the double taper, called around for singles and actually the double was cheaper
"the things you own will start to own you"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 2:50am
Mark,
   Petes got a point on cutting this one since the shaft is pretty much junk anyway......
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 3:22am
Have you guys ever tried to cut stainless with a sawsall?????
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 9:14am
If you use a single taper and have the coupler fitted and faced, you'll have to pull the engine anyway. With a double taper you can leave the engine where it is and grab the sawzall. Pat, how many blades?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 9:16am
grinding is the only way, but you have to be careful
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 9:38am
Pat,
Yes I have done alot of stainless cutting with the sawsall. A good bimetal (Lenox is a good one), dial the speed down and then plenty of lubricant. I have used Anchorlube for close to 40 years and haven't found anything better for stainless. If you don't use the Anchorlube at work, ask your PA the next time he orders from McMaster to get you a small bottle and give it a try. It's a water base so it cools very well and I'm not sure of the lubricant but think it's some kind of wax. Our tool makers here at work use it on tool steels too!!

Stainless work hardens so with hand tools you need to use sharp bits/blades and keep the cutting area cool.

Greg,
One blade!!

Even if he gets a fitted and faced single taper, the engine doesn't need to come out. I'd ask them to remove the coupling after the machine work and then use the heat in the oven trick.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 9:48am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Even if he gets a fitted and faced single taper, the engine doesn't need to come out. I'd ask them to remove the coupling after the machine work and then use the heat in the oven trick.

Is that more theory than reality? If it is heated and possibly banged on a little, will it really go back exacty to where it was?

Whatever the answer, I didn't want to chance it.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 9:51am
built for speed Pete...
it is possible with the sawzall, I think if you guy's call Elberts direct for the ARE shafts you will be surprised, he is in Oregon and sounds like a one man shop..big fan of the double taper now
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 9:58am
Greg,
Yes it goes back on in the same spot because it's keyed. Yes heating in the oven works - If one of our more computer oriented than mechanical oriented members here can do it anyone can! You just like to pull your engine to clean the bilge!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 10:09am
The coconut telegraph gets me in trouble every time!   

In my defense, over the course of fixing a few things, I ran the engine without valve covers, then without the timing cover, and then again without VC's. I kept everything above the bilge covered, but the bilge suffered.

I really should have run it on the stand like you told me. I thought it was more work in the beginning, but it turned out the 'tother way 'round.     
1988 BFN-sold

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 11:47am
When I replaced my shaft a couple of years ago I went with the ARE double taper; I couldn't get the set bolts out of the old shaft so I cut it with a sawsall.

Welcome to the site Mark. Have a great time with those boys this summer!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 11:51am
plus if you cut out the middle man......Elberts, 503-864-2445
excuse my business ethics, but they are not represented on the site anymore, if someone calls for a price please post.
bradtm16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradtm16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2009 at 3:37am
I took my shaft out when I repainted my boat last year. While I had it out I replaced the bushings in the strut. I used a three jaw puller (not sure what it was rated for, but if you use one get atleast a 12 ton). I used the oven method for trying to get it back on, still wasn't easy. I ended up having to use a 2 lb hammer tapping on the end of the shaft carefully to get it in all the way. Even being carefull, I messed up the thread on the end of the shaft. I had to grind it down a file it a little to get the nut on. I believe if you get the double taper, this process will be alot easier.
jblmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2009 at 12:46pm
Everyone thank you so much.

I tried the bolt and spacer method and ended up pulling the threads on 4 sets of bolts. I found a used coupler and shaft from a 77 ski tigue. It arrived yesterday. I am taking it to a machine shop to get it pressed off. I have a couple of pullers but nothing will budge the flange. As for reassmebly, can someone explain the oven method? B-T-W I plan on cutting the old one out. Man this is a PITA.

Thanks,

Mark
JBLMArk76
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2009 at 2:10pm
Mark,
Since you are going to have a machine shop press off the used coupling for you, I HIGHLY recommend they face the coupling for you. The shaft is chucked up in the lathe with the coupling pressed on it. Then a very light cut is taken off the coupling face. This insures the coupling isn't warped and runs absolutely true to the shaft.

Is the used shaft straight? The shop can set it up in V blocks and run the dial indicator over it.

Clean up the shaft and coupling bore to make sure there aren't any burrs. Since the shaft is used, it should already be dimpled (small shallow hole) at the set screws. Crank up the oven to max. Most will be 500 to 550. Let the coupling sit in it for about a hour. If you are by yourself, clamp off the shaft to the strut with some blocks of wood and C clamps making sure you have working room behind the trans. Have a hammer ready just in case you do need to do some tapping. It should slip right on if the fit is correct. (.0005 to .001" max interference)

Next step will be alignment! Have you do any checking to see if your strut is aligned to the hull/shaft log? Put the new/used shaft in (before putting on the coupling) and see how it turns.

The first times can be a real PITA! Next time it will be a breeze!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2009 at 3:39pm
I highly recommend having a second person to hand you a tray with this hot coupler in it while you are in the boat. Have good oven gloves on, dropping this hot coupler will definitely leave a scar on you or you boat.

Next time, I am going with a double taper, much less trouble & worth the extras expense, IMO. I hope there is not a next time, however!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic