NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BF Boom Safety

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BF Boom Safety
    Posted: May-29-2009 at 11:35am
My oldest son has wanted to get into barefooting since trying it at the 07 and 08 reunions. It looks like he's close to buying a boom. As we have no experience with these things, is there any safety concerns to using one of these? Any good web sites that might have good instructions for newbies?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2009 at 1:56pm
No. Lane Bowers has a real nice sales pitch youtube on boom safety (BI sales) but there is really nothing complex about a boom.

Tighten the clamp to the pylon securely. No need to protect the pylon with a sleeve or tape or anything, go metal to metal. You don't need to torque it on there, snug it up tight as much as you can by hand that will allow you to get it back off again with the same tool (not cheater bars or anything). No matter how tight you wrench it on, if the cable brakes or you ram a dock and the clip breaks, it will slip and turn backwards. This is better than breaking anything else anyway.
Most safety clips of that size range will fail around 200-500 lbs, a BFN in idle hitting a dock post will turn one ito a noodle quite easily, I hear. If you've got some crazy strong clip on there I would imagine the boat would turn and slam your whole crew into whatever it is you snagged. I don't think even 3 or 4 skiers could cause enough drag to break your boom if it's in normal condition before turning the boat in a circle or snapping your steering cable.

Inspect cables for damage or fraying. Cables can be replaced, contact boom MFG if needed. Today the big names in booms are BI, ECI, Skyjac and Bemmans. There have been several copies in the past 10-20 years, most of them are nearly identical to BIs (Casad (usually white cables), Straightline (usually yellow cables)).

BI, ECI and Skyjac (I think, not 100% sure) are solid aluminum and usually have 2 cables. They yield quite a bit in use. The turnbuckles on the older ones are fine, the clamp block is really nice.

The Bemman boom is hollow and uses 1 cable, larger in diameter than the others with 2. Careful though factory they don't come with any length adjustments, you're supposed to cut it to fit your application. I don't see why you can't make a "leader" clipped in line if you need a longer cable. It doesn't bend nearly as much but will spring and bounce on you in a fall. Tim says some ECIs have been hollow, really the difference here is weight savings but more spring and bounce off the gunnel.

Keep clear of the gunnels near any boom.

In the past 5 years of being on all the barefoot sites I can find, I've only heard 1 or 2 stories of a commercial boom failing in use, and no serious injury caused to the skier. I think they were both ECI, apparently they used a weak clip or cable crimp over a short period of time?

You should be able to find a used boom for $200-$300 fairly easily.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2009 at 4:41pm
It is free to join Barefootcentral.com as a member, with that I think you will get 10-15% off. That should cover most of your S&H maybe even tax. I have had two BI's and have been very happy.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2009 at 4:49pm
Thanks for the info Hollywood and SN206. My main concern is if there is something inherently dagerous about a boom, and if there is, what to look out for. He's found a used one with the help of one of our members. I just thought I'd put it out there in case there was something to watch out for.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2009 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

It is free to join Barefootcentral.com as a member

false

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2009 at 6:00pm
I've always been a fan of a solid boom, I feel they have less bounce than a hollow. I've skied on a few that bounce like crazy when someone takes a fall, I also use my coast guard approved throwable floatation device as a gunwale cushion on my boat. Guess I've always been partial to the BI booms, back in the Glory days I was taught to back foot on a boom and we literally sat on the boom facing backwards with a flip turn ski on, accelerate, stand up, step off. Yikes, I haven't seen that technique in 20 years but the boom held us up there well.

The one in this picture has the turnbuckles HW mentioned and I never had a problem with them but my newer boom has the clamp blocks and I do think they are better
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2009 at 7:05pm
Riley, A Boom is by far the SAFEST way you could learn to barefoot. I would recommend a good instructional video. In addition, it helps to have someone along that knows how to do it but not necessary with the video. I like both Scarpa's and Sipel's personally. I'm also a fan of the BI boom. Be sure to get a proper fitting suit and padded shorts also.
Best of luck.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2009 at 2:57pm
A cup is not a bad idea, either.

See if Lane is doing a clinic near you this summer. He is a great instructor. I have taken a couple clinics from him. Never left one without accomplishing my goals, and maintaining what I learned afterwards. Money well spent, no matter your skill level.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2009 at 4:44pm
Way agree, you can learn more in one weekend what may take you all summer with fewer falls. The money you save in gas learning bad habits by yourself will more than pay for the clinic. Went to Scarpa's couple of times. It's well worth getting a group together and having a clinic.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 12:11am
The BI's are very strong. Altho I would not recomend it we once put 2 booms out (one each side) on a friends new C/C in Tennessee. Then 8 guys "walked" out..4 per side. No pictures that I know of but I think HW saw an old video of the trick that my brother put on a cd for me.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 12:14pm
I remember, burned into my brain. You could take 1 pair of my boardshorts, cut them up to make all 8 speedos and still have material left over.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2009 at 3:22pm
Thanks for the info. He's buying a BI universal for the Sportster.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 3:58pm
HW I found this pics of a dual boom set up on a banana bfn!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2009 at 4:07pm
Remove 2 guys from each side and all wetsuits and that's jbear and his buddies. The boat was an 82 SN with the 454 in it. Then at the end Randy Filter is the last guy out there doing front to backs right on the boom.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2009 at 8:47pm
My son's boom came today. It's a BI. It is in decent shape. I looks pretty simple to set up. It has a clamp block rather than a turn buckle.

Hollywood, does metal to metal not mar the pylon?

Thanks to TimB for the link!

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2009 at 5:30am
Riley could you post up some pictures of your boom. I have never had the urge before to learn to barefoot.
(I seen a young fellow get axed big time when I first got involved in water sports and that had always turned me off trying to learn.)

But after seeing Lakeboy's videos and Kapla's recent efforts I may give it a go. It looks much easier to learn from the boom as it appears to save you a lot from the painful errors. May even get some pointers from the experts at GL.

Anyway when my boat arrived from the US it had a part of a boom setup in the boat. I am just trying to identify what brand it is and if I can source the other parts or get some specifications on them so I can manufacture them.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2009 at 7:44pm
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 11:20am
Thanks Riley. I think I need to see one setup on a boat to work out what is required. Should get that chance at GL hopefully.

89 Ski

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2009 at 2:09pm
Lewy, youve got a Casad. I believe its interchangeable with the BI's, as they can use the same clamps.

Bruce/Dave, looks good!
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2009 at 5:31am
Riley

Did an extension come with your son's boom? I love the extension, gets you out away from the boats spray.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 7:40pm
Riley I got borrowed the same as yours, very easy to use.. 87 what extension?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2009 at 8:11pm
This one is going on an 03 Malibu Sportster. I don't think spray will be an issue, but I do wonder about the height as it has low gunnels.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2009 at 5:23pm
hight is set by the position were you put the pylon clamp....
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2009 at 1:32am
Tim can you buy just parts for the boom. BI list accessories separate but the boom complete. I did some browsing on their site and got a potential malware software warning so I hightailed out of there.

Would a straight boom suit the 89 2001 better??

I run a BI highpole all the time so I will need to either attach the clamp low or add the SDBM. I noticed they also have a gunnel mount what are the advantages and disadvantages of this mounting system.

Do you have any pictures of your 90 setup with the high pole and boom?

89 Ski

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2009 at 5:13pm
Lewy, I do believe you can buy piece parts from BI, but theyre not cheap! Give them a call- theyre very good to deal with.

I would say yes- a straight boom would suit the 2001 nicely. I added a height adjuster to mine so I could lower the clamp just enough to clear the Fly High. My buddy did the same on his '02, and it works great. Ill try and snap a pic of how I have it rigged at some point.

I would not go with a gunnel mount- I think those are intended to be used with boats that dont have pylons!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 11:51am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Do you have any pictures of your 90 setup with the high pole and boom?

Not the greatest pics, but these should give you the idea. I mounted the boom clamp low enough on the pylon so that it doesnt interfere with the Fly High. The height adjuster brings the mount point back high enough so the boom isnt too high- the top 3 holes get the most use.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 12:25pm
Thanks Tim that gives me a better idea of how things will work.

Looks like I need the height adjuster also otherwise the boom would be on a very large angle with the clamp that low on ski pylon (below extended pylon).

I assume the contour booms are to allow the booms to clear the side panels on the more modern windscreens. Does this compromise the position in relation to the amount of spray you get when on the boom? Is that why a straight pylon would be the best option on 89 SN2001 hull?

I have been searching a lot of the info regarding booms and it is often said that the contour boom is easier to step over why? If you set the boom out the drivers side it seems stepping over the boom would be much less of an issue.

Is it possible to use the boom out the drivers side? As long as you have the weighting of people in the boat offsetting the pressure from the boom. Is there any other issues with using the boom from drivers side?

Sorry about the thousand questions but I have never seen a boom setup in a boat. Trying to find the best setup for my boat before I start sourcing the parts required. Hope to get a look at a boom and high pole combination at GL. Do you know of any boats attending that may run that setup?

Had to ask one more question.

89 Ski

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 12:56pm
Lewy,

If you do need BI parts if I remember correctly they are in Milwaukee, perhaps you could just pick them up while there if possible, or have them shipped to one of us in the states and we can hand them off in Green Lake.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2009 at 1:22pm
Lewy, there are 2 different BI contour booms- the straight contour only curves down. The universal contour curves down and back. The universal is much more common and is intended to accomodate the longer windshields of other comp boats- but our Ski Nautiques dont need them. I would imagine that it would put you a little more in line with the spray, which is already killer on the 2001. Id recommend an extension either way for your boat! With the straight boom I would go for the height adjuster if you want to mount the clamp low for the Fly High like I have it.

Ive never put my booms on the drivers side, but there are plenty who do. If you generally have a big enough crew to distribute weight around, then you may be OK. There are plenty of times where we put all the people on the drivers side to tilt the boat that way though- it helps with both boom height and minimizes spray with the boom off the port side. You would always be fighting the drivers weight with the boom off starboard.

Either of the contours will be easier to step over since they curve down. One disadvantage of the curved is that you wont have a lot of downward adjustment left- so getting the boom really high may not be possible. A high boom is great for learning new tricks or teaching beginners on the 5' line, as it provides a much higher pull.

I think Hollywood may have a similar set up on his '88 at GL. If you want to see my '90, you'll have to come to Lake George.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2009 at 5:08am
Once again thanks Tim your explanation of the contour booms clears it up perfectly. Would love to check that sweet looking 90 of yours out sure you won't bring it to Green Lake.

Quinner thanks for the offer of parts shipping will let you know if I need to take your offer up.

89 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic