NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fixin’ my knob!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixin’ my knob!
    Posted: May-10-2009 at 10:42pm
Randy, you are indeed the master. I pulled a few tricks from your bag and wound up here. I'd have 2 more if I hadn't messed up the inserts. It was really hard wood...

Could someone with a knob like mine get me a few measurements? I'm planning to make a few more.

That's my ugly one on the left. Thanks John.

My first knob...I'm told it's too small?!!?    

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2009 at 11:29pm
Greg,

I have one I replaced on my BFN. You want it to use as a pattern?
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2009 at 11:36pm
Thanks Greg, I would. We'll catch up soon; toss it in your glove box. I wouldn't mind a ride south whenever you put in.

I'd like to know the 'standard' length and top diameter...the rest is style! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2009 at 11:43pm
OK Greg, What woods? Zebra and Rose wood? I'd say you also put brass thread inserts in them? They look great!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2009 at 11:52pm
Thank you sir!

They are brass inserts...and you're close.
Bocote and Cocobolo

We have another rainy day here tomorrow(lake is way up!) so I'll get some more brass and try Wenge. Amy doesn't really like wenge, but I think it'll look great with the black dash.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 12:03am
Pete, I'll post another pic soon...pick the one you want and I'll bring it to GL.
1988 BFN-sold

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 12:17am
Good lookin knobs BFN. I ordered a new one from ski DIM for 15 bucks. Now I polish it regularly......
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 12:43am
There is so much to work with in your first post that I just gotta pass...way to easy.

Great looking boat, awesome looking engine, we all know it looks great under the floor, hot looking wife.....yeah.....fix the knob.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 9:07am
Can't pass this one up...............Greg, if I need a knob job I'll be sure to give you a call. I got your # Dude!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 10:17am
Hollywood's computer must be down.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 10:49am
Greg,
I have not been able to find any inserts with the right threads do you know a source?
bj

Call me if you get a minute.
727-612-4772
bj
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 11:49am
Does anyone know for sure if these should be 3/8 x 24 or 3/8 x 16? Skidim says 3/8 x 24 and I've been using 16's.

It's a little late to be asking.

I did order 3/8 x 24 from Mcmaster for comparison.
1988 BFN-sold

mndanielsncsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 12:40pm
The thread on my 93 Sport is 3/8 x 24
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 12:51pm
Thanks Matt...and a big thanks to HBS for saving me from wasting material!

The threads on my morse were buggered to start with; guess I cleaned them up a little.

Pete, why does a new 3/8 x 16 bolt thread right into my old knob? Maybe it's buggered too? Doesn't look it.
1988 BFN-sold

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 1:31pm
Greg, I have been told that my knob looks aged and used. I would be interested in replacing my knob with one of your nice younger looking knobs.

My Morse only has a few threads so the insert would have to be even with the bottom of the knob. I mention this because I picked up a knob at GL last year but the threads begin too far up in the knob and I could not get it to hold tight to the lever.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 1:44pm
This topic could get out of hand....
1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by nautiless nautiless wrote:

This topic could get out of hand....

I hope it does!

JBear, you said it was too easy...have at it!   

Roger, you're a sik puppy, but I'll be glad to help!
1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 2:01pm
Nice knobs! What did you do to get that shine? They look wet.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 2:03pm
Nice looking knob Greg. I'm not sure where you find these woods that I've never heard of but they sure are pretty.

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 2:09pm
Would the proper term here be "Knob" or "Woody" ?   
All the ones displayed here are made of differnet woods ...
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 2:38pm
[QUOTE=critter] Greg, I have been told that my knob looks aged and used. I would be interested in replacing my knob with one of your nice younger looking knobs.

Critter, wives have a way of protecting us from our age.My knob too, looks aged, but still will get the job done.
Pete will likely have a word on originality.Period correct will show its age but still perform the required task.
I think I have all my bases covered,,,,,,,Boat dr

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Nice knobs! What did you do to get that shine? They look wet.

I'm using the same spray finish that the master used(RIO), and then I have a set of acrylic sanding pads that go to 12,000 grit...lots of polishing!

And thanks guys! I wasn't sure how the exotic wood would go over.
1988 BFN-sold

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 3:10pm
My 1980 is a 3/8 x 24 Thread. I just purchased a new one from Ski Dim this winter.

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!! I hear that you can go blind from polishing your own knob !!!!!!!!

I starting loosing my eyesight at 40 years of age. I will be blind by 50 but happy.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Can't pass this one up...............Greg, if I need a knob job I'll be sure to give you a call. I got your # Dude!

You're not getting a knob job from me...

You and Kim pick a w/e and yall can polish your own!!!   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 3:52pm
Thanks Donald, I'm sure skidim researched this and I have the 3/8 x 24 on the way.

Looks like I have a knob for every occasion now as mine will stay 3/8 x 16 ?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 7:40pm
Talk about customer service...I ordered the 3/8 x 24 inserts this morning from McMaster Carr and they're here already.   

My guess is this company will stay in business!
1988 BFN-sold

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 8:24pm
Greg, are you looking for decals for the hull?

Dave
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 8:49pm
I'm gettin knob envy
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

Greg, are you looking for decals for the hull?

Dave

Yes...and if you know where some are, you could make Amy a happy gal!

770-536-2328
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2009 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

I'm gettin knob envy

Kevin, I've heard that is a serious condition. I don't know much about it, but I bet it'll be on Oprah and Dr Walrus next week.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic