NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fixin’ my knob!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixin’ my knob!
    Posted: May-20-2009 at 11:33am
And a good morning to you! I did see that...I posted that we just got back from the lake.

We have also gotten a lot of rain this year. I've had to move my dock in several times. Right now we have 30 mph winds from that tropical storm. Aren't those supposed to go to LA first?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 11:26am
Greg, Good morning, Did you see the thread where I mentioned going to the lake for ten days? It has rained hard every minute since. I am thinking the lake has come up 10 to 12 inches.
bj
hasbeenskier
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 11:21am
Yep, either way, like you say we are not bolting down a cylinder head. I thing that gets me though is that some one out there has the exact part needed. I just have not found them.
Further, It is the challenge I groove on.
bj
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 11:16am
Oh well...
Thanks for taking a look Pete. Maybe it's time to check with Eric's machinist friend?

I don't mind the screw-in or self-tapping insert, except that the part # I have has closer threads. It's not very forgiving on the harder woods. As it is, I'm drilling with a 33/64 bit when McMaster calls for 1/2; and then making threads in the blank before installation with epoxy.

And no, I haven't had a single one break loose on the lathe yet.

I should have called...this is tough to describe when I know we have creative Fans waiting for me to step in it!
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 10:38am
Bj,
I don't feel there will be enough wall to drill and tap the 5/16 out to 3/8. 3/8 is available. You would be better off getting a 3/8-16 and running the 24 tap through it. There's enough threads on the shifter arm to handle the load plus we aren't bolting down a cylinder head here!!

Greg,
You're correct that the 90016A034 is the only insert that I too can find with the 24 pitch. Yes it's brass and the screw in type but why don't you like the screw in? With the screw in I feel you would have less chance of splitting the wood. Take a look at 92105A420. These happen to be the same ones I've used. The last time was for "T" handle fastening the router table fence I put in my table saw extension table. I used 20 of them for muliple fence locations. These are the zinc/aluminum, with a flange and 33/64 length. (plenty of thread length) However, we're back to the pitch thread being coarse (16 pitch) but running a 24 tap as mentioned I feel will work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 9:38am
Sorry to butt in. Greg, I have looked hard for the right inserts. The only option I have come up with is getting 5/16 aluminum with a flange, then drilling and re-tapping to correct thread
bj
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2009 at 12:40am
Pete, you're all over for everybody(which I commend!). I can see where you might miss a dumb 'ol buffalo post.     LOL

McMaster has what I need in the wrong material or the right material and wrong threads. What I need is 3/8x24 with a flange in aluminum(what I got from Greg), brass or stainless.

Pete, this info is what I found on their web site...your assistance in the catalog is MUCH appreciated!!!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 11:16pm
How the H did I miss that! Sorry Greg! I do remember something about fine thread and coarse thread! Is it the threads per inch or the size you are having a problem with? The Mcmaster book is always open on my drawing table because I use them so much at work. I do find there web site one of the better ones for searching out items. I'd be happy to take a look. Some items are easier to find out of their book.

My mind must be slipping again or maybe it's the recent CCfan events that have it all screwed up!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

BJ, they are McMaster part # 90016A034. They are a straight, self tapping, brass insert. They have a knock-in that I like better and has a flange, but then I run into thread size or material(steel) problems. Maybe we could get one of our engineers to dig through McMaster for whatever I'm missing?

Pete, I'm not posting this to bust your chops...it's just that you were one I hoped would go digging!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 9:45pm
Greg,
Are you using the barbed inserts or the self tapping that thread in? I really don't have a preference but have used lots of the self tapping without problems. Looks like you've used some glue. Not a bad idea. Any of them come off in the lathe yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2009 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by skicat skicat wrote:

Greg,I am sure Keith would accept one of your knobs for the give aways at Green Lake.

I think this is an excellent idea!

And Greg, I'm thinking the trade should be a new knob since you have clearly worn your's out!   

Seriously Keith, I'll be making you one and at least one other for the event. I do wish you'd specify a profile to go with your cocobolo.

Left to right...
1-Skicat's old knob...is this the profile CC used or is it aftermarket?
2-unfinished cocobolo
3-someone mentioned ebony
4-cocobolo meant for Keith but it's a very different shape
5-wenge
6-sapele...yall gotta see this wink in the sun
7-wenge...they look much better in person
8,9,and 10 are from the last post...D fir, cocobolo, and bocote

The #4 bocote from my last pic found its way to the BFN.
1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2009 at 12:43am
Greg,

I am sure Keith would accept one of your knobs for the give aways at Green Lake.

Mine is in the mail to you. Once you get all of the dimensions from it, you can cut it open if you would like to check out the insert. It already is cracked & I bet we could work out a trade!
Greg

86 BFN
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 10:54pm
Well spoken Greg, some thing's money can not buy here...

Dave
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 9:53pm
Greg,

Great Knob Job!

HW is looking at those and thinking "Wow, I need a new bicycle seat".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 8:53pm
Keith, your's would only cost a smile and a hand shake. Consider it done...and which bocote profile(left to right, # 4 or #6)?

On a serious note guys and specifically Keith, I can't say how much appreciation I have for this web site and the friends Amy and I have made here. The general condition of our boat is a testament to the quality of people who frequent this little 'neighborhood' and the time and knowlege CCFan members have given to us is beyond generous. I joke around a lot and I'm sure I've bent a nose or two with my politics, but thanks to all!

And see you there!!!   

HW, is this going to crash the site?!!?   
1988 BFN-sold

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by nates78ski nates78ski wrote:

I like the Shape of the one farthest to the right.

I like the color of the one 3rd from Left (cocobolo)

Nice Work, Man!

Nate

I second these votes. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 7:46pm
Greg,
They all look great! If I had my choice, I like the color of the cocobolo and the profile of the bocote. I'll bring the checkbook.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 7:44pm

Keith, which one should I bring for the guy who got us all together?

A large ebony.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 7:34pm
Thanks Randy, glad your knob is in good shape!

Thanks Nate, I have to appreciate a compliment from a fellow woodworker.

Keith, which one should I bring for the guy who got us all together? Don't worry, I'm only gonna charge you double.
1988 BFN-sold

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 2:36pm

Randy, how is the lacquer holding up?

It's holding up good. Looks as good as the day I did it.

I just love posting pics of my knob!
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 12:52pm
I like the Shape of the one farthest to the right.

I like the color of the one 3rd from Left (cocobolo)

Nice Work, Man!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 11:28am
Many thanks Greg...now I'll have the correct dimensions! Do you mind if I keep it until GL? Or I can make a template and get it right back to you.

Slippery slope Alan?

And Thanks!
1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 10:29am
Greg- I am going to drop it in the mail. I would think you would have it tomorrow.
Greg

86 BFN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 10:25am
Greg, This thread is like the off topics stuff I try to avoid but I have to say "nice work".
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 10:14am
any interest in aluminum, stainless or even bronze knobs?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 10:11am
The plan is to bring a few to GL once I get the bugs worked out.

Randy, how is the lacquer holding up?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 10:05am
Thanks guys and I appreciate the input!

Greg, are you going to drop that in the mail or are you going to be on the lake today?

BJ, they are McMaster part # 90016A034. They are a straight, self tapping, brass insert. They have a knock-in that I like better and has a flange, but then I run into thread size or material(steel) problems. Maybe we could get one of our engineers to dig through McMaster for whatever I'm missing?

These are also a PITA to thread into the harder woods. I'm going to get a tapered tap when I get a chance.
1988 BFN-sold

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 9:54am
Cocobolo in the shape of the far right for my Super Air, and the bocote #4 for the Mustang.

Those look fantastic, Greg, nice work!

Paypal or cash? heh heh.   No really.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 9:02am
I like my knobs dark. I agree with skicat. Bocote with the original shape then the Wenge. As always...Nice craftsmanship Greg. You get a A!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2009 at 1:59am
Greg,

I found the knob I took off the BFN. It is on the way tomorrow.

Bocote with the original shape!!
Greg

86 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic