NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adding a keel roller

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding a keel roller
    Posted: April-06-2009 at 12:40pm
I need to add a keel roller to the back of the front bunks. The current set-up is not very forgiving on a less than ideal ramp.

My idea is to notch the back of both bunks so a roller can be bolted to the frame. I think I want the roller only on the back so that it sits on the bunks when it's all the way forward. I could also knotch the back edges of the bunks at a 45 so they would guide the bow to the center.

Does this hold water? Better ideas welcome!

The distance across the tops of the front bunks is 22".

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 3:40pm
Greg, You looked into Bunk Slicks rather than a Roller ?
They bolt onto the Bunk itself and it is said that they are easier than the carpet.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I need to add a keel roller to the back of the front bunks. The current set-up is not very forgiving on a less than ideal ramp.

Greg,
What problems are you having at the ramp? Is the trailer at a steep angle and the boat doen't want to go all the way forward because it sitting pretty level in the water? Never liking the power on principle, I'm a firm believer in a keel roller and the winch set up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 6:04pm
When I can put the trailer where I want it, it's not that big of a deal. I do think 87 got a new trailer over this, though.

The trouble comes on a short ramp like at the river. The trailer is up high and the boat scrapes over/up that edge...already scuffed the new gel.
1988 BFN-sold

anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 6:10pm
Is this roller available aftermarket. I would like to put one on my 87. The trailer is an 01 and seem a little big. The front bounce slighty. No problem once is tight in place.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 6:37pm
Anthony,
Yes, lots -
rollers and brackets

Fitting it up to a trailer may require some welding or a U bolted bracket like I did.

BTW, when it's mounted forward, it does eliminate the bow bounce of the boat. It's another reason I added it. My old bow stop was actually worn where the rub rail touched it and this was with snugging up the boats bow to it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2009 at 11:27pm
Greg they sure built them BFN trailers solid compared to the single axle type 3's.

You could even possibly consider removing the front V bunks totally. You already have the supports there so just using 2 rollers in a V configuration like the boards on each support.

Maybe pictures of the boat actually loaded on these bunks may help make it clearer.

Also make sure you pick the right type of roller. Have found that they make different rollers for glass boats compared to Tinny's(Allum). Also black rubber rollers tend to leave marks on the hull.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Greg they sure built them BFN trailers solid

It's a beast but drives and tracks like a dream.

1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 4:54pm
The lifting strakes make that a tough hull to "drive on". The deep V is also a concern, which is why those keel bunks are there and it's not just a bigger Ski Nautique 2-bunk wishbone style.

Maybe something like this would help you out. Skinnier bunks (red) kicked out at a slight angle. My angle might be exaggerated but obviously don't go too wide so the keel smashes into the framing in between, and you'd also need to keep an eye on the lifting strakes. Notice I kept the bunks inside the wear marks from those damn strakes. You should be able to keep the same level once on there, the keel doesn't get worn out, and it still does gives good road support (no bouncing). Maybe GlassSeaker can get in here and provide us with a shot of his trailer. I basically copied the design from that Sanger hull. The back half of his trailer looks like an "average" of your rear bunks (purple bunks). Not sure you need to mess with the back half anyway, but I can get better pictures of a Sanger trailer very soon.

Give it a look.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 5:28pm
That's interesting HW. Looks like you're trying to eliminate that spot where the keel starts to scrub. I might even add a roller between the back of the red bunks.

The rear outer bunks fit under the edge of the chines(right word?) by a little bit and bring it on nice and straight...if the driver is paying any attention at all. The lower rear bunks also center it pretty well.

I do have the guide rails off. They go back on now that I finished buffing.
1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 5:50pm
Mine does ok. Just give it gas till you hit the crash pad & stop!
Greg

86 BFN
LKG_ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LKG_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 7:41pm
This months issue of Boating World has a how-to article on installing a keel roller. I can't find the article on their website. Maybe they keep their website intentionally late to give the magazine subscribers an advantage.

I have my boat on an 05 Eagle trailer with a keel roller. When it's set up right it helps a lot.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 12:29am
Greg I usually launch and recover my boat from the lake/river bank no ramp. So the boat is never driven on. Just usually guide it on by hand then winch it on the last 5'-6'. Don't like getting the car in to deep try to keep front wheels on dry land. I found the keel roller really helped with winching the boat on that last little bit. It also provides a support point for the weight and prevents bouncing.

Those front bunks look to be a overkill and would make winching on harder with the extra friction. I know when you guys had the boats supported for stringer replacement you only used one support point at the front. The SN type 3 trailers have no support at the front at the bow of the boat this is why I added mine originally.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 10:46am
Thanks guys!
I originally thought I just wanted a roller to feed the keel onto the bunks. Now I see that a little more thought is in order.

Here's a couple of shots of how it sits...

1988 BFN-sold

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 2:16pm
Wow Greg... Did that bow damage occur loading at the River ?
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 3:01pm
Greg, after peeking through the diaries it appears most of the 1989-1992 Sport Nautique trailers have the skinny front bunks just like I mentioned! I can probably get you some pictures soon, there are 3 on our lake. Perhaps Azues17 can get you some details too.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 3:56pm
You sure most of that chafing isn't from beaching the boat? I had a 1987 SN and it was launched from just about everywhere without any chafing like in your pictures. I did have a CC trailer which didn't have the up front bunks like yours, just two front to back ones. Those carpeted bunks didn't wear the keel down like you show.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Wow Greg... Did that bow damage occur loading at the River ?

Those are old pics...just a little scuff at the river!
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic