NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

&*%$#@ Oil Filter!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: &*%$#@ Oil Filter!
    Posted: March-20-2009 at 1:44am
OK guys, this should be easy, but it is not.

My oil filter is really stuck. It won't budge. I have torqued on it with the wrench so much the can is crushed.

There is sooo much crap around it I can barely get leverage in but a few spots.

Boat: '01 Ski Nautique

Ideas?
Got Foot?
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 1:58am
I've got them off by driving a big screwdriver through them with a hammer. It could be kind of messy on a boat...

you only need to hand tighten them when you put them on
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 2:04am
I thought of that. Did that on a car once. Real messy. I will get the bilge police on me for that one! Got that one in my back pocket just in case.

I was hoping for some high level, super mechanic technique that took years of experience to hone...LOL. Thanks though, at least I have one taker!
Got Foot?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 2:12am
Suggest still using the screwdriver, however once it breaks free take a 1qt. ziplock bag and put around it. Not only will it keep the bildge from getting oil in it,but will keep it off your hands as well. Once off, zip it up and trash it.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
SemperFIsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SemperFIsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 2:18am
I too have just battled this. I had to completly drain the oil out of my engine by pulling the drain plug and letting it flow into the bilge. I then have a cheap shop vac ($30) that I sucked it out with, then poured that into a oil pan ($8). Just wash the bilge with Dawn dish soap to get it clean again. The pressure was somehow released and it miraculously budged when I tried it again the next day. You may have some kind of air lock on it with the fluid in there. I know I can't take off my first stage off of my scuba tank without completely purging all the air out of the system. You can try all day long, it wont happen. I would try that. I know I cussed alot. Didn't help any.
Capt Duane
Tampa, FL
Semper FIsh N Dive
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 2:28am
A few things:

1: Have you tried an oil filter pliers?

2: Can you see the gasket? Usually that is what is actually stuck to the block ,not the threads. Take a knife, screwdriver,or anything with a narrow flat tip and work it around the gasket, trying to "break" the seal it has created against the block. Be careful not to damage the machined area the filter seals against.

3: Try a heat gun/hairdryer to heat up the filter and base. sometimes it can expand it enough to break the seal.

If you need to do the screwdrive bit, can you punch a hole in the filter's bottom to drain most of the oil into a container?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 3:10am
62 and Semper, those are good tips. I have already drained the oil, actually I sucked it out. I did rap the fillter a couple of times with a rubber mallet.

I don't have pliers. They may work. Tight wok space though.

I can't see the gasket, but I have some access to it.
Got Foot?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 3:23am
turn it the other way...
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 3:28am
Like Steve said, might be time for one of these.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 11:15am
Originally posted by SemperFIsh SemperFIsh wrote:

I too have just battled this. I had to completly drain the oil out of my engine by pulling the drain plug and letting it flow into the bilge.

You should look into one of the vacuum pumps for sucking the oil or get a drain hose kit that goes through the bilge drain hole. Lots better than a messy bilge! Probably cheaper than getting a shop vac each time too!

It's the gasket that's stuck. Without the engine running there isn't any pressure and never a vacuum on the filter.

Always give the gasket on a new filter a coat of oil before installing it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 11:53am
like the boat drain plug.......HAND TIGHT
"the things you own will start to own you"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 1:11pm
all I ever had to use is a big set of channel locks, I take it's a V-drive and that's why there is little room.

Like Pete said no vaccum and sucking it out or drainging isn't going to change the amount of oil in the filter so to me it's a bit of a waiste of time, granted the oil has to be drained eventually. But poke a hole in the bottom of the filter, what all have you tried using? your hands? filter wrench, what syle filter wrench? disc or band style?

but a Large set of channel locks work the best, you'll crush the can a little but usually no punctures.

but be sure and put a coat of oil on the seal of the new filter and then just hand tight.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 3:51pm
I already drained the crankcase with a vacuum pump, so that is not a problem. I did put oil on the gasket when I changed it last time, and trust me, it was only handtight.

The wrench I used looked the the wrench Hollywood posted, but it did not have a squeeze grip. When the torque was applied, the claw tightened (hard to explain). Almost a combination of a band type and a claw.

The can is already good and crushed. I know when it finally gives, it will be a knuckle buster!
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 4:12pm
are you workin on the boat today?

if you want you can bring it by my house today and I'll help you get that sucker off

we can go and launch both of them in case mine craps out...

you ski first this time...LOL
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 4:12pm
You didn't put a Fram filter on it did you??? Just don't!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 4:22pm
I had this happen on a my Allis tractor. Try perhaps getting a 4 inch hose clamp on there. If you can get it around the more solid parts it gives you something to bite on. It took me hours of messy, profane laced work, but I did get the thing off in the end. I have also used the metal band style filter wrench and kept cramming medium sized sharp edged landscape rocks in there til it had to grab.

Total pita, sorry.

Mike
Mike N

1968 Mustang

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It's a Fram, yes. The new one is not. What is wrong with Fram, BTW?
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

are you workin on the boat today?

if you want you can bring it by my house today and I'll help you get that sucker off

we can go and launch both of them in case mine craps out...

you ski first this time...LOL

Actually, Andy, I am at work, although you wouldn't know it since I am really posting, rather than working. Really what I would rather be doing is ripping a barefoot set on this sweet spring day.
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

Fram have a bad reputation here.. they are said to fail..badly...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 5:07pm
FRAMS are junk tin can with paper filter inside POS

now heres a dumb question you are loosening it right?

But try tightening just a shade/or go in the opposite direction, then loosen it sometimes this can break it free and is a common method for tube fittings. Dad told me long ago that when I was working on fuel lines, brake lines and soo forth to tighten them first them loosen them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

Fram have a bad reputation here.. they are said to fail..badly...

Basically they are poor quality! There are several threads here with statistics to back up the facts and links to cutting open parties. They go real light on the filter element and the way the element is put together they fall apart. They also are notorious for the check valve not seating so when the engine isn't running the oil drains out of them. Even the cans are thinner than all the rest. You got sold with their marketing!!!

Don't go cheap with a filter. A couple extra bucks is all it takes to go with a Wix or Napa Gold.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 6:05pm
Righty Tighty - Lefty Lucy

Reading this thread makes me really appreciate the remote filter on My Excalibur!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 6:45pm

Some good reading on oil filter dissection:

Oil Filters Revealed

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 7:13pm
And so it shall be...we will have an important "meeting" to attend in "my office" aka the boat...at 2:30.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 10:47pm
sht, Randy the Fram double guard was twice the price and half of the surface area...I wouldnt of believed it..but according to that write up, the frams suck
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 10:47pm
    Try one of these if you can get it down by the base of the filter.Not sure if you have the room in there.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2009 at 11:15pm
3 out of 8 filters to avoid are Frams - Not a bad Marketing scam on the public!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 3:55am
Well I got down to business. On the way home from ripping a barefoot set with Andy (GlassSeeker) I stopped at the local Auto Parts shop to buy an oil filter channel lock wrench deal and the 26.00 price tag sent me packin'. I bit the bullet and wrapped the filter in a quart zip lock bag (great call SN206) stabbed the beast and cranked. Metal bent, I busted my knuckles, slashed my hand on torn metal... 3 stabs later the b%^ch let go with a groan. U&^$R%(&*OP)*(&_)&%&#$!!!

What a pain. Plugged in my fake-a-lake and my baby roared to life on the first crank having taken a 5 month nap.

Love those Nautiques. It's foot fever now baby..

BTW: thanks for all you guys chiming in to help!
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 1:35pm
now the thing to remember here is, dont put it back on with a strap wrench. once in while you have to get the air hammer out lol
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2009 at 2:45pm
Damn Roy! That thing really gave you a fight!

I was half kidding about the screwdriver through the filter method, I figured I would get hammered on here for that. glad it worked for you though A strap wrench probably would have worked if you hadn't already crushed the can. once the can gets bent up, nothing for it to hold to.

Hope you purchased a quality filter (not a Fram, oiled the seal, and only hand tightened it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic