NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Valvoline VR1 racing oil in name only

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

This was recent news regarding the castrol. I'm pretty sure I posted the link in a different thread.

I never said anything in this thread that wasn't correct .....I've seen a few incorrect things posted by others though.

Come on Tom! You've got to do better than just the above!!
Did you miss this:
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

last time I checked, most castrol gtx oil had enough zddp for flat tappets.

I don't know when you checked but it's not shown anymore.

Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Show us the data, or the link, but I think you are mistaken ...

I agree - where's the data/link proof??? Do you really want to pass on bad info to a fellow CCfan member?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 3:00am
Ok, there's a lot of great recent info out there on the web about zddp levels in oil. Perhaps. The best info. Is on corvetteforum.com's c3 forum. The link is under" flat tappet oil" thread. It's 23 pages and a great read. It has manufacturers zddp claims as well as blackstone lab results. Without disseminating the thread 100%, castrol 20w 50 does have the zddp levels our flat tappet motors need.
vr1 race/ off road 20/50 does too, but has a short oil change interval per valvoline themselves. That short 3 month iirc span is what has me worried about blindly using 20/50 race vr1 and hoping it is working as it is expected 4 months later.

The castrol, amsoil, 15/50 mobil1, and a handful of others not including vr1 are theonly oils made that are designed for flat tapped cams AND a normal boating seasons length.

Some say the new15/50 rotella triple protection has enough zddp, but the new diesel oil standards and what shell says are contradictory to eachother as far as zddp.   Then there's the added detergents in diesel. Oils that are plain scary for gas engine, esp flat tappet motors. No more rotella for me, in anything that's not a diesel.

Now, i've seen oil labels change even very recently claiming zddp levels for flat tappet motors right on the label.

If you can't fin d the link, i'll post. It from my pc sometime soon.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 4:02am
bla bla bla where is the link?????? I also like your reasoning on not using the ROTELLA...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 12:19pm

vr1 race/ off road 20/50 does too, but has a short oil change interval per valvoline themselves. That short 3 month iirc span is what has me worried about blindly using 20/50 race vr1 and hoping it is working as it is expected 4 months later.

I would like to see where youre getting this info. Im sure youre aware that Valvoline makes several off road/racing oils. Some have minimal detergent packages with shorter recommended OCI's. The VR1 was not one of these oils and had a 3000 mile recommended OCI last time I checked.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 1:59pm
I think this is the site: Corvette Forum Flat Tappet Oils

Cursory look show the information to be current, obviously I have not had the time to read the whole 23 pages. But at least we have the link. I do like to keep up on the oils, so I look forward to reading through it - Man I must be sick...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 2:12pm
I´m very familiar with that forum..as I´m a member also..LOL..
haven´t been in a while lately though...
I used to follow that thread..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 2:43pm

castrol 20w 50 does have the zddp levels our flat tappet motors need.

Castrol makes several 20w-50s, this is from that Corvette forum.

Castrol Syntec 20W-50
Grades: 20W50
Claim: "Engineered to increase wear protection for classic cars with flat tappet camshafts"
Verification: Email from Castrol 12/9/09: Current Syntec 20W-50 (for classic cars) is actually a modern premium quality API SM product that has been Zinc boosted to Zinc levels that are reminiscent of levels from historic API categories such as SG when flat tappet cams with high spring loads were common in the fleet. For reference, note that the API SM category has the most rigorous passenger car engine oil (PCO) test performance requirements in the history of the API PCO categories. The level of Zinc in the new Syntec 20W-50 is a minimum of 1200 ppm, which will provide excellent anti-wear protection for the cam and lifters in a flat-tappet cam engine.
Verification: NONE

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 12:07am
Skutsch, yep that is the link.

Hwood,   syntec 20/50 is what I am talking about. As far as tests substantiating the zddp levels, that can be found later in the thread, as well as on bmw and other forums.

As good as that thread is, it's still not all encompassing.

Kapla,   my coworker is cherrybomb on that forum.

Boat dr, if you do not see the issues with using the new formulas of diesel oil in flat tappets, then a few more pages in that and other threads should be read. Here is an excerpt....

"Can anyone point me in the direction of more information regarding differences in additives (detergent or otherwise), and data suggesting these differences lead to material problems in gasoline engines? I am continuing to learn...
If you go to bobistheoilguy.com and check the VOA of diesel oils you will see the detergent levels run way higher than the spark ignition oils. Even the gasoline oils have increased the detergent levels. This is one reason not to use ZDDP additives with SM oil. Here is a great article explaining the interaction of zinc and detergents in oil as well as some info on synthetics by Lake Speed Jr. He is a lubrication expert for Joe Gibbs racing.

http://www.aera.org/ep/downloads/ep8/EPQ409_36-39.pdf

If you want an actual research paper addressing the effects of detergent additives on Zinc check page 8 in this paper. It goes into scientific detail on how the zinc protects the cam and how detergents reduce this protection:

http://www.apmaths.uwo.ca/~mmuser/Papers/TL05.pdf
"

It's sound logic if you think it through. Diesels, even the TDI race audis that have won lemans never get above 5500 rpm max, and normal non race diesels typically don't go over 4500rpm. The detergents in diesel oils are known to not be good for gas motors.

Tim, I'm pretty sure that vette forum thread has a valvoline tech person quoted as saying that the race/off road vr1 is not made for longer OCI's. edit.. I just read the whole thread, it's not in there, but it was in a thread I saw last night while looking for facts for the people that doubt to see.;) I'll check to see where I saw that.

In any case, for an easily had full synth oil with proper zddp amounts that is readily available for cheap, mobil 1 15w 50 can be had for about 22 dollars for a gallon at wal mart.   Brad Penn 10/40 seems to be good too, but where do we readily get that? Amsoil has great oil too, as well as royal purple, but it's expensive.

I think I will go with the mobil1 15w 50 with my bosch oil filter for this season unless I can get a deal on RP or syntec again, I don't ever go to wal mart, but I might have to for boat oil. LOL

The castrol syntec I and hwood mentioned can be easily had, and is not too pricey when you can get 5 qts of it with a filter for 30 dollars or so on sale at advance auto. I used that deal when I got the 9 qts of oil I needed for my audi. I got 10 qts of 0w 40 castrol syntec and 2 Bosch oil filters ( one for the boat and one for the 4runner as the audi uses a cartridge filter none of the normal auto parts stores carry in stock) for like 65 dollars.

It's not easy(or possible) to link from a smartphone, but that may be simply because my atrix is new to me.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 9:30am
to cheapy to put 25.00 in oil, but not to cheapy to throw a hundy of gas in every weekend? i dont confuse to easily, but im confused, start with syn end with syn, zinc no zinc, rollers no rollers,
all i can say is i keep seeing the same damn 6.0 litre truck every few months with 4 qts low everytime and it aint blown yet, i pop the cork and 1 qt of brown molasses oozes out of it everytime...i know its a roller motor, and it appears to me that the only engines you see wiped out are the ones low on oil, not to many failures due to the wrong oil, maybe we should promote check your oil once in while
"the things you own will start to own you"
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 10:35am
Got some bad news Tom, Wallyworld doesn't have the Mobil 1 anymore. I checked 3 different stores before my last oil change and then switched to the VR 1.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2011 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Got some bad news Tom, Wallyworld doesn't have the Mobil 1 anymore. I checked 3 different stores before my last oil change and then switched to the VR 1.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I am off to advance again then.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2011 at 10:17pm
This is the way to go! Amazon to your door cheaper than NAPA!:
Oil at Amazon
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 12:29am
Except that is not the vr1 that has enough zddp.

I went to naps to buy 5 qts of the race only 20/50 and despite their inventory online showing at least 5 qts, they only had 4. They did have the syntec 20/50 that does have the zddp we need. It specifically says for older cars with flat tappet cams. I went with the castrol.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 2:19am

I went to naps to buy 5 qts of the race only 20/50 and despite their inventory online showing at least 5 qts, they only had 4. They did have the syntec 20/50 that does have the zddp we need. It specifically says for older cars with flat tappet cams. I went with the castrol.

Son of a !   Shut the front door! I just bought $60 of the wrong oil? At this point I am going with Eric's advice.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 2:36am
From Valvoline:
Valvoline VR1

5. What solutions does Valvoline offer to the zinc issue?

Valvoline offers two solutions to the zinc issue:
Valvoline VR1: Contains 75% higher zinc than SM motor oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. Valvoline provides this product in both multi and mono viscosity grades: 20w50, straight 50, 10w30, straight 30, straight 40, and straight 60.
Longer-Lasting Zinc/Phosphorus: Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the motor oil where it protects the engine instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car motor oils including SynPower -- the only synthetic offering this additive.

6. Which oil has more zinc/ZDDP: VR1 or "Not Street Legal" oil?

Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13% of Zinc and .12% of Phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil which contains .14% of Zinc and .13% of Phosphorus.

Sounds like I am safe!.....
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 12:41pm

Tom, unless you can produce *some* sort of data, Im going to keep dismissing your posts as irrelevant misinformation.

I read through that entire thread on the Corvette forum, and other than the inconsistent oil analysis results, none of the info there was new. According to the latest literature on Valvoline's website, all weights of VR1 have .13/.14 % z/p. None have the reduced detergents package that would necessitate a reduced OCI like you claimed earlier... so Im curious if youre actually getting your information from a reputable source (please share!) or if youre making it up on the fly.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 12:58pm
Hey TRbenj,
In your opinion, the VR1, at 13% zinc is good for a summer or 50hours? Thats all I care about. That is the interval anyway right? It sounds like the .13% zinc is not in question but the reduced detergents that would necessitate a shorter oil change interval on a car, but the 50hr/or summer (June July August-3 month span) oil change interval should cover that?
Thanks,
The other Tom   
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 1:10pm
OK guys,
I went to this link on the Valvoline site

http://www.valvoline.com/our-business/contact-us#b

and I asked this question:

Hello,
I was wondering if someone there could make an expert testimony on this thread
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13060&title=valvoline-vr1-racing-oil-in-name-only
It is a forum concerning Correct Craft boats that have a lot of tappet style boats with engines marinized by PCM and many questions about Zinc levels and detergents and oil change intervals. I will post your answer on the site. I think if you take a couple minutes and go through the pages, as an expert you will see that there are many misconceptions about your oil that could be cleared up.
Thanks,
The other Tom
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 1:22pm
I also went to this site:
http://www.pcmengines.com/contact/

and asked this:

Dear PCM
I was wondering if one of your oil experts could weigh in on this thread on Correct Craft Fan.com forums:
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13060&PN=1&title=valvoline-vr1-racing-oil-in-name-only
It is a discussion on the complexities of zinc levels for the tappet engines and levels of detergent that would reduce or increase oil change intervals.
Thanks
Tom

It would be great to hear from these folks!
Tom2
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
xjglen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xjglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 2:50pm
I haven't fired my boat up yet for the first run of the season and I've got Rotella T 15/40 in it. Now I'm re-thinking my choice of oil.

I can't wait to see what the experts have to say....
93 Ski Nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by xjglen xjglen wrote:

I haven't fired my boat up yet for the first run of the season and I've got Rotella T 15/40 in it. Now I'm re-thinking my choice of oil.

I can't wait to see what the experts have to say....

Same here. I was just about to post on the very same thing. Can someone please verify if my beloved Rotella T 15W40 is still good stuff. I had Andy (Waterdog...I think) check out a sample for me last year, and the zinc level was very high.

Boat Dr. ....I think I read you are a Rotella guy. You still using it?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 7:28pm
Davidg, I was a 20/50 Castrol user, 55 gals a year thru the shop. Rumbles inside the race car world made me rethink what I installed in a customers engine. I get to buy them a motor if I am wrong.
I am indeed a Rotella guy,with that being said I will add this last note.

There is a lot of mis information posted here by some , either thru STUPID or ignorance. The ignorance can be fixed but not the former.

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 8:57pm
dupe see below
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 8:58pm
I just got this from Valvoline:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As we are unfortunately not able to actually make the post, we would be happy to discuss the issue and you can include what you want from our information, on your post.
From the looks of things, there are many misconceptions about the VR1 Racing Oil products, which contains plenty enough ZDDP (Zinc and Phosphorus) for any racing or flat tappet application. The ZDDP content in our Valvoline VR1 Racing Oils will be the exact same as the ZDDP contents in our Valvoline NOT STREET LEGAL Racing Oils. The only difference in the products will be the detergent package, as it will be lower in the NSL product, due to other friction modifiers that have been added to the oil for extra horsepower gain, however the ZDDP additives are the same.
An oil does not have to be rated as "off road use" to contain these additives. This is the real story behind the myths. With ever increasing limits on emissions, automobile manufacturers have tightened emission control systems on newer vehicles. This is one of several factors considered when the American Petroleum Institute (API) sets standards for engine oil. The current API standard is SM which replaced the previous SL classification. Because phosphorus can poison a vehicles emission system, the level of zinc is lower for current engine oil. Because of this, many hands-on car enthusiasts and engine experts believe the lower levels of zinc in SM engine oil is causing excessive wear in older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. This is despite the fact that all new engine oil classifications are intended to be backward compatible, which in turn has resulted in the widely accepted belief that modern engine oil is not adequate to protect older engines.
Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the engine oil where it protects the engine, instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car engine oils, including SynPower which is the only synthetic offering this additive.
The only exclusion to this would be if you are operating a high performance or aggressive cam application, where high Zinc levels may be required. Because of these requirements, there are high-zinc engine oils available to meet this need, such as our Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil. The VR1 Racing Oil establishes a 75% higher zinc content than SM engine oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines and carries an oil change interval recommendation of 3 month/3,000 miles.
We have also attached a copy of a Technical Service Bulletin that will help to clear the air about this very misinterpreted issue in the automotive industry. PLease feel free to contact us about any questions you may have about the issue, as we urge all of our customers to contact us before making false claims.

Thank you and have a great day.

Valvoline

I will now try and figure out how to post the Technical Service bulletin
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 9:03pm
Heres the Tech Bulletin.

Hot Topic
The level of “zinc” in today’s engine oil is a hot topic among hands-on car enthusiasts. Whether in online chat rooms, blogs or message boards, or in the retail store, customers are seeking answers to make sure they are protecting their investment.
The following information will assist you with those conversations. An additional resource is available to you by calling the Valvoline Technical hotline at 1-800-TEAM VAL (1-800-832-6825).
What is zinc?
The anti-wear additive simply referred to as “zinc” by most car enthusiasts, is actually short for Zinc DialkylDithiophosphates or ZDP. As an anti-wear additive, its primary role is to prevent metal-to-metal contact between engine parts by forming a protective film. Despite being referred to as “zinc,” this additive actually contains zinc and phosphorus, with phosphorus performing the anti-wear function.
How zinc/phosphorus works
The zinc/phosphorus molecules react in the oil and release phosphorus-containing compounds that make a wear-resisting phosphate glass film on the critical surfaces of contacting engine parts. With most brands, this process also results in phosphorus being released with engine emissions into the catalytic converter, where it can poison the emissions system over time.
Why zinc/phosphorus level in engine oil has changed
With ever increasing limits on emissions, automobile manufacturers have tightened emission control systems on newer vehicles. This is one of several factors considered when the American Petroleum Institute (API) sets standards for engine oil. The current API standard is “SM,” which replaced the previous “SL” classification. Because phosphorus can poison a vehicle’s emission system, the level of zinc is lower for current engine oil.
Bulletin: 2008-003
Date: June 2008
The controversy
Many hands-on car enthusiasts and engine experts believe the lower levels of zinc in “SM” engine oil is causing excessive wear in older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. This is despite the fact that all new engine oil classifications are intended to be backward compatible. This has resulted in the widely accepted belief that modern engine oil is not adequate to protect older engines.
Consumer Solutions
There are high-zinc engine oils available to meet this need. It is important to note, however, that the entire additive package still needs to be balanced for best performance. For example, engine oil with a high zinc level but low detergent may not perform over a drain interval of 3,000 miles or longer.
Valvoline offers two solutions to the zinc issue
Valvoline Racing VR1: 75% higher zinc than SM engine oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. Advance Auto Parts currently carries this product in SAE 20W-50 (part vv211) and straight SAE 50 (part vv235).
The product is also available from Valvoline in: SAE 10W-30 (part vv205), SAE 30 (part vv223), SAE 40 (part vv229), and SAE 60 (part vv241)
Longer-Lasting Zinc/Phosphorus: Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the engine oil where it protects the engine, instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car engine oils, including SynPower which is the only synthetic offering this additive.
Rob Clendening
Valvoline, division of Ashland Inc 1-859-357-7000
Lexington KY
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 9:14pm
Am I mistaken or did I not see any numbers to back up two pages of BS, sounded a lot like a speach from Obama......
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 9:21pm
So to my pea brain, it sounds like what Eric was saying. First priority is to actually check and change your oil. Can someone back me up on the rest? It sounds like Valvoline is saying that SM oils are actually adequate and "backward compatable". We (as tappet engine owners) want to go the extra step and get high doses of zinc, so we use the high zinc formulas. Do the modern boats have some kind of cat converter? My 89 sn does not, so it sounds to me like the VR1 straight 40w with .13 zinc should be fine for a 3 month period or 3,000 miles in cars but certainly, 50 hours at 60 miles an hour equals a mile a minute so 3000 divided by 60 = 50 hours. Am I taking crazy pills? It sounds like any of the high zinc oils are good, and if changed will not lose the zinc. Anyhow, either way, the VR1 is going in tomorrow with a Motorcraft FL1a filter. I cant speak for the Rotella without the facts, but it sounds to me like it will be fine and is comparable with the VR1. Whew. Just my thoughts. I am not a petroleum expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night......
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Am I mistaken or did I not see any numbers to back up two pages of BS, sounded a lot like a speach from Obama......

I am sorry Boat Dr,
Were you talking to me? I posted what Valvoline sent me. What numbers would you like? I am simply trying to change my freaking oil. If you want, I will call the 800 number listed above or email them for whatever numbers you want but you are pretty far off base if you are using Obama and me in the same sentence. You see, I will actually do the hard work and research as in emailing Valvoline and PCM to put information on the thread where as Obama would just tell you to "hope and change your oil" with whatever you wanted to. What numbers do you need?
Tom2
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 10:34pm
and i still have not done an oil change because i dont know what to put in it???
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2011 at 10:48pm
The Dr's point is that email is from a marketing guy who's job is to sell oil, not make sure your engine works. From what I've seen 1200ppm seems to be the magic number on the zddp in the oil analysis on the new oils has the zddp in the 700 to 800ppm range. I've been using Mobil 1 15w50 for years even though PCM recommends not using synthetics. I was just being cheap and getting it a Wallyworld for less than anything else with high levels of zddp. I've seen the specs on Mobil's site, and have also seen the specs on the VR1.

I can't believe nobody has linked to that yet, and I'm too lazy to do it right now, I'm trying to finish my boat detail so I can get her back in the water. Somebody please post a Damm like so we can kill this thread and talk about oil again until July. Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456>
  Share Topic