NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 13>
Author
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

I use Nevr-Dull wadding polish. I also dampen that with a little crome/metal polish, like Turtle Waxs, to keep it moist.

I noticed that AutoZone and Advanced carries it. I'm going out tonight to pick some up. Thanks. Yours look great.

If it doesn't end up looking decent I'll move on to plan "B". Thanks, guys.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2008 at 6:24pm
Hey Sanity, did you know that they also carry Bondo, polyester resin?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

West Marine has the Taco rub rail in 6' lengths. rubrails.com has it in 12' lengths at a much better price, but $150 for shipping makes it very expensive.

I priced Taco rub rail for our Mustangs last summer.I went to Boaters World and it was about $63.00 for the 12'. They were unable to get the 6' lenghts. I also went to West Marine,they could not find it in their books and were going to call me back,and never did. The model you need is A11-0152,it's 1" high and 7/16" wide.Here is the original Reid quote-- "As for the rub rail, try this site and page. http://www.tacomarine.com/cat--Aluminum-Rub-Rail--cat2_aluminum_rr.html
This is the exact replacement if you're looking for the anodized alum. The model you want is A11-0152. You can buy this thru West Marine, but you'll need to give them this part number as I don't think you'll find it in their catalog. It comes in 12' and 6' strips, and I think I normally used 3-12s and a 6, with about 3 feet left over". This was in reference for a 71 Skier.I measured my Mustang, and needed 39'
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 11:32am
Michelle,
Just another thought...I always start on the transom when I "experiment" with anything if possible. It's usually the smallest area and it doesnt "show" as much as a side.

Also, if you want a really smooth look, after wet sanding with the 400, you might try some 600 wet before buffing.
Again dont be afraid to try a few different options to see what works best for you.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 11:57am
Good Morning! I appreciate all of the information you are giving. Especially since you have already had the experience of using the products and completing the tasks.

I'm getting excited and anxious now. Don will hopefully be matching and giving us the sample to send for gelcoat by the end of the week. Still alot to do before the gel coat goes on, but I'm gearing up for this! Heck, I was excited when Dave buffed a few areas on the boat. WOW!

I'm going to work on that rub rail I have at home and see if it'll work. You guys are the greatest because now I know exactly where to get it and even the product number if mine is not salvagable.

I'm getting antsy, guys! And I still have a few more weeks to go, as I've got to wait for the "match" and the gel to arrive after it's ordered. Boat needs flipped....getting closer

Chelle'
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 12:56pm
Michelle,
The rail would have to be pretty beatup not to be able to save it.

My money is ...your going to have black hands and beautiful rubrail!

btw, cant wait to see how the "yuky gel" turns out!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 1:07pm
[QUOTE=62 wood] Michelle, The rail would have to be pretty beatup not to be able to save it.
QUOTE]

That's positive thinking and I hope that's the case.

After losing my "fingerprints" temporarily I will make use of gloves. I had the shop order extra small for me and they fit nice and tight. I have a hard time working with gloves. Now, they are the first thing I put on when I walk in the garage.

Yeah....I'm REALLY excited.

Once the color is matched, I'll take a picture of it sitting on the mustang and post it.

Hey, I haven't heard from Pete or Tim. Either I'm doing OK or they are thoroughly disgusted with the route I'm taking. LOL
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

After losing my "fingerprints" temporarily I will make use of gloves. I had the shop order extra small for me and they fit nice and tight. I have a hard time working with gloves. Now, they are the first thing I put on when I walk in the garage.

LOL

No one enjoys wearing the glove, but it is the only protection you have against the itching and burning in this case...
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 1:37pm
somehow...I knew I would receive a response like that. LOL.... My bad for not editing when I had the chance. LOL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 1:54pm
Im laughing with the glove thing, I coated a board about an hour ago and was trying to hand it up to my guy and he's telling me to wait so he could get his gloves on, like wearing socks to bed... I did it on purpose so he would get resin on his hands....he's the one that broke the clip on my throttle body and left me stranded on the freeway last week....I figure he has 6 more months of payback...
maybe I'll sprinkle some fiberglass on his work uniforms
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

Hey, I haven't heard from Pete or Tim. Either I'm doing OK or they are thoroughly disgusted with the route I'm taking. LOL

Pete is up north where he doesn't have an internet connnection. Perhpas he'll stop at the library to check on CCFan soon.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 3:06pm
Michelle, looks like youve got a decent plan. Just to clarify, are you going to spray gel over the entire thing, or just doing spot repair?

Eric, the only experience I have with poly is doing misc projects with Bondo body filler. I assume they also make something that doesnt have the thickener already added?
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Michelle, looks like youve got a decent plan. Just to clarify, are you going to spray gel over the entire thing, or just doing spot repair?

I'm going for the entire thing.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

Don't know if you looked already, but this site (journal of my 1987 SN rebuild) may help.

Merry Christmas.

Bill,

FYI, I copied and pasted your gel info off of your site and put it in my boat binder. That way it will be on hand when I start.

I also printed out this thread and I have all of the gel and rub rail info.

Yeah, I deleted a few things from the thread.

GREAT REFERENCE!

Michelle
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 6:07pm
tim, its marketed under the Bondo name by 3M, its not a filler or what people would call bondo, Its Polyester resin with hardener, the ingredient list on the can is proprietary. I brought it up earlier because the poly resin I by out of Fla is 30.00 per gallon and 108.00 to ship the 5 gallon pale, And apples to apples the Bondo polyester resin is far superior to any of the ones I've used in the past....most of the times its impossible to get the air bubbles out....this stuff doesnt get bubbles.
Maybe i came across as being a smart ass, Im on my 16th gallon this month.....it adds up
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 6:34pm
YAY! I just found out that the picture man is coming tomorrow!

Steve, the yuckytan is in sight.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 10:02am
word for word, when Reggie fountain builds boats he wants less suger and more spice, he removed Baja's inner liners and installed his time proven wood grid of stringers glassed directly to the hull making it more resistant cracking or worse failure.
Still not satisfied, Reggie substituted the polyester resin used for boats fiberglass construction with vinylester, a stronger and more flexible choice than traditional resins.
hull construction was switched from balsa core to high density foam sandwiched between the glass.
Just some helpful info for stringer jobs, it is essential to use epoxy where needed though, I used some to laminate wood to a transom and as for glassing the exterior i switched to polyester, dont be concerned much about the balsa and foam though, this is a different process on the bare hull. with balsa core they are 4 inch by 4 inch sqaures with the grain perpindicular to the hull..they must cut them from a long 4x4 to usually 1/2" thick and laminate them to the inside glass on the flats and then glass over them.....very light and very strong
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 11:02am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

hull construction was switched from balsa core to high density foam sandwiched between the glass.

Good Move, I rebuilt a 71 mastercraft many years ago and it was balsa core. There was a leak at the prop shaft thru hull and an area from the transom to about 2 feet forward of the stuffing box rotted and delaminated. That went beyond the standard stringer job because after removing the inter fiberglass layer and scraping out all the blocks you basically had an 1/8" thick hull left, talk about a saggy bottom! As hard as I tried I never got that bottom back correctly and the boat always needed trim tabs.

You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 11:39am
Sanity,

I'm with 62wood on refinishing the aluminum trim. Most on the site know that I'm a little off my rocker when it comes to shining things up. Here are a few of my projects, the trailer trim pieces were painted red when I got them. Over 40 feet of trim had to be striped and buffed. Very similar to your rubrail just not as large. I'm currently working on some risers that came to me painted ford blue, they were a mess and I'm almost ready to finish polish them.

For tools I use an assortment of sanding disks from 80 up to 320 to remove paint. Then move on to the 3M pads pictured( I got those from 62wood and they work fantastic). Then on to polishing, I use either a #5 or 6 polish with a bench top buffing wheel. A regular bench grinder with a buffing wheel will work also. I have also used a 4.5" handheld grinder and polishing disk with good results. I've found the key to good polishing is pressure and heat. Lots of it. You will be amazed at what you can bring back to better than original condition.

These started out Blue and are alomst ready for final polishing.

Over 40' of trim.

Ended up Here.

And my arsenal
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 12:07pm
Alan,

WOW! Beautiful! OK, I am impressed and convinced. We'll see what I can do.

Thank you!
Chelle'
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 12:53pm
Alan, just finishing one up, (balsa core) 2x3 rotted spot under the tank...normally I would pass on something like this but the rot stayed contained   I know alot of the Balsa is wet on this boat and put a commercial de-humidifier in it for 2 weeks and probably pulled 20 gallons of water its a 2000 go fast. I went in with birch ply and laminated to the thin area and glassed over that. if she snaps it wont be there
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2008 at 12:57pm
San, I know i clog up your threads but, how else is everyone going to learn, as i said i read every word....and cant claim that i didnt learn something.....sometimes if you go at these projects as a first timer it turns you into a second timer.....you dont know how many boats I've pulled treated wood out of
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 1:00pm
Rub rail stripped and sanded. You were right once again... salvagable it is. Need to shine up yet, but it looks great.

I know...pictures! I'll get some in soon.

OK...have a few rear "seat" questions. The original fiberglass frame with torn unrepairable cushion is there. It was not attached to the boat when purchased. Can someone explain to me how it is attached? There are snaps on the top of the seat, so I can assume there was a cover on the boat at some point.

There were no front seats. I printed out the seat construction from the site a while ago.

In the meantime... getting ready for the big boat "flip" and I'm a little nervous. But I'm sure everything will be ok...

Thanks!
Chelle'
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 1:31pm
I will not second the praise for bondo poly, I used a ton of it repairing sail boats at the summer camp. Bottom repairs without gel cote mind you these were not pretty boats. Bondo poly lasts three seasons at best then gets soft and cracks under those rough conditions. Everything else I used lasted longer, evercoat poly twice as long, and the vynlester and epoxy repairs are still there a dozen years later. That's not to say there aren't good places for the bondo especially if sealed but I sure would leave it bare where it will see water again, grinding it all off to start over really sucked.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 1:39pm
Sanity,
My 64's front and rear seats did have snaps at the top originally. I (and dont tell Pete) used velcro to replace them when I had the new interior done. I know its not original..it was just a temporary fix,that ended up working very well.

Heres a pic ..

How you planning to flip the boat? We just got done flipping my Higgins back sunny-side-up before Thanksgiving.

BTW, glad to hear about thye rub rail...figured it shouldnt be too bad...
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 1:57pm
Hey Steve,

Beautiful boat!

Is the rear seat attached to the hull top and bottom? Is there a wood strip anywhere to hold it secure?

Yes, the rub rail surprised me. I have a polishing kit for my Dremel and I know it's small, but I want to try it out this week. I stripped the red paint off of everything else too and it's all ready to shine.

As far as the flipover.
It started out with the guys having great ideas for constructing mechanical devices, using engine stands, rotissere (sp)...then the conversation turned pretty quickly in a 360 direction.

We're pulling the trailer into the yard, getting the biggest guys we know and flipping it as I run around (frantically I'm sure)putting foam under it. Once flipped, I'll set up the foam in the garage - and the guys can carry the mustang in.

It is heavy, but I'm surprised by how light it is too. If that makes sense. I can pick a corner up by myself. I think 6-8 guys will be able to handle this. What do you think?

Michelle
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 2:03pm
Michelle,
Yes, I've been up north and offline for a couple of weeks and looks like I've got some catching up to do!! Reading though the thread it looks like you have gotten most of your questions answered. All I can add is always follow the manufacturers directions for the gel coat. Each can be slighly different as far as hardener and thinner for reduction. Each may have some recommendations as to the proper fluid tip and air cap for the spray gun/type you will be using. If not, get a reduced viscosity from them and then call the gun manufacturer.

Who did you end up with for the gel? Mini-craft?

5 gals. seems like alot but yet there can be waste so 4 may not do it! (5 gal. may be a decent price break compared to 4)You end up with lots of caoats to get the dry film build and do sand quite alot to get rid of the orange peel. Measure the sq. feet and run it past the manufacturer (also the mil build).

BTW, I'm for new rub rail. The new will be anodized and trying to clean up the old just isn't worth it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 2:16pm
Michelle,
We used two cherry pickers to flip my Higgins. I went to a furniture store and "borrowed" three old mattresses to lay on the ground. 6 to 8 guys can probably do the job as well.

heres a pic of the boat just before turning it....

as for new rub rail...its always nice, but my pockets arent as deep as Petes... I have more time than money... I've only got a few hours in mine, altho they could use more, it looks 100% better than when I got it.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 2:25pm
Hey Pete...I missed you until I read that last statement. Just kidding. I'm trying to keep it as original as possible except for the platform that will installed. And what I have will work for now, as the money will be spent on other Mustang needed items. And to think that in the back of my mind I was thinking "Pete will be pleased!"

Still researching where I will end up getting the gel. Rumor has it that there is a place in McKees Rocks (approx 30 minutes away) that carries gel coat. Haven't found out the name yet. We used to purchase from a company called National Polymers so, I am going to try them after lunch. "If" I can't get the info, it leans towards US Composites or Minicraft.

The bottom of the Mustang is all that's left to strip and repair if needed. The flip-over is being organized. Once it's flipped I will feel sooo much better.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 2:32pm
BTW, Pete. Welcome back. You "were" missed.

Steve, If you only knew how nervous I am about this. Mattresses are a great idea! I don't believe I have any contacts to be able to beg, borrow or steal even used ones though. Old tires covered with blankets crossed my mind to lean and roll the boat on while turning over.

I'm a little more concerned about flipping back when we're done gel coating. One scratch and I know I'm going to cry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 13>
  Share Topic