Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 Chris Craft

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
Author
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Chris Craft
    Posted: November-14-2008 at 10:49am
We pulled my Wifes old chris into the building to get started on the rebuild finally. Last night Beau and I dug out all the plugs left in the hull and worked on straigihtning and securing the replacement white oak ribs. I snapped a couple pics just to start off the album of where we took over this project.

I already rebuilt the 283 and its sets in the shop awaiting a boat. The rest of this is all new for me as I build metal buildings and Hot Rods, we dont even use wood trim in buildings...

Hopefully working a couple nights a week with Beau, dannenburgs book and a carpenter friend we can make this look like a boat again. I did a lot of work at the cottage this fall to make room for a second boat next summer... it would look nice sitting next to the Mustang.

And so begins yet another journey...

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 11:12am

I moved all the boat pics to a new photobucket album and if i get a chance today ill figure out the link thing and add it to my sig...

Later
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 11:37am
Nice work space. You guys with those kinds of shops are lucky. I guess I can't complain too loud though, at least I have an extra, tho very small, garage that the boat is in so at least I can putter in the winter.

Funny you mention dannenburgs book, I was killing time at Barnes and Noble in the mall last night and picked it up and was flipping through it. Was thinking it would make a nice Christmas give for Alan, but I'm guessing he already has it.

Good luck with the Chris. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it on the water next spring. Nice that you've got a helper. You will both remember the project for a long time.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Funny you mention dannenburgs book, I was killing time at Barnes and Noble in the mall last night and picked it up and was flipping through it. Was thinking it would make a nice Christmas give for Alan, but I'm guessing he already has it.

Well I do already have it Larry, thanks for thinking about me. If it helps you out I was thinking of signing up for skidim's and Overton's christmas registry!!!

Good start Sean, and Yes we are jealous of your workspace.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

If it helps you out I was thinking of signing up for skidim's and Overton's christmas registry!!!

That's very helpful Alan, I appreciate the thought, but I think I've already settled on 2 gross of "flathead, wood type bronze or hot dipped galvanized screws" for you and Dana this year.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 12:46pm
Sean,
Great start and I'm glad to see you have help. The ACBS does have a youth program and even scholarships. However, I don't know how involved your local chaper is in the program.

Get a humidifier going in the shop and try to keep it as high as possible. A couple years back, our chapter had a winter tech seminar at the shop of one of our members. He was restoring a 24' Shepard. The first thing alot of us noticed was his precise and close plank joints. He was a very high end cabinet maker and this being his first boat was just doing what he normally did but not thinking ahead. The following summer I ran into him without his boat and of course had to ask where it was. Yup, he was pulling all the side planking off the boat!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 1:00pm
Sorry - momentary threadjack.

Pete, It is on my to do list to build a wooden boat in the next 5ish years. I have a lot to learn and read,(I've read a lot already, but got a long way to go) but I am starting simple, a plywood boat (like this)(not quite so high performance, but this theme)

I have my reasons for wanting to do a bright finish. What I was wondering is how do you make the thousands of screw holes disappear. As I look at pictures of Sean's boat and Alans, there are a lot to make disappear. I dont want my boat looking like this.

Whats the secret? Plugs over every screw, of comparable wood type as the planking (plywood) sanded down and finished so that it looks the same as the planking? I realize I got a lot to think about before I get to that point, but I'm curious.

(Glen-L has a book on building I hope to get and has on their website a several page step by step procedure, which I have studied already)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 1:17pm
Larry,
Using Correct Craft as a example, on the "low end" ply boats wood filler is used. When filler/stain is applied, the wood filler takes on the color close to the deck/hull sides. With a "high end" planked boat each screw is covered with a wood bung. This are cut using a bung (plug) cutter out of the same wood (scrap). They are set over the screw high and then with a wood chisel cut off as flush as possible. This requires "reading" the wood grain on each plug. You want to chisel from the low side of the grain so if the bung cuts off at a angle you will still have wood above the planking!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 1:27pm
WOW!! Tedious. I guess that's what makes a wooden boat a labor of love. Not much depth to work with, with a 1/4-inch plywood skin, is there? I would love to get started on this now, but the usual hurdles (time, space and mostly money) are prevailing right now. So far I've got hardware, just missed a great deal on a craigslist motor, a lead on a trannie...but I've got nothin' but time right now.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Not much depth to work with, with a 1/4-inch plywood skin, is there?

Depth stops on the combination drill/countersinks is a must!! I drilled lots of 1/4" on my Atom.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 1:57pm
Plug cutter:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 2:04pm
Beau and I are reviewing plans for a small plywood boat. We are looking for something easy to build for the boys and using a 10hp motor, a minimax maybe? the Indiana rules are under 10hp if you are under 14 or so. Thought it would make a good project for us and give him something to do when we get more into the finishing stages of the chris.

I found under the cottage an old town mahogany canoe and a 12' home built wooden boat that Larry used to run on the lake with a 30hp merc, kinda what sparked Beau's interest in the little boat program...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 2:12pm
Sean,
If you haven't already, look at the Glen-L ply "stitch and glue" plans. Very good for a first boat. Easy and quite forgiving on the joinery.

Glen-L stitch and glue

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 3:38pm
wait wait wait... you just 'found' an old mahogany canoe under your cottage?! how sweet is that?! All we've found at ours is re-rod & glass...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 3:40pm
also, you sure it was Mahogany? That's an odd choice for a canoe...
Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 4:21pm
Its about a 16' Old Town canoe. the interior appears to be all mahogany with a painted fiber coating on the exterior. We knew there was a couple things under there last fall when we bought it but just got around to pulling them out and cleaning them up. Im really a 'glass boat kinda guy but I'm trying to get into the retro wood thing here. The remodel last winter kind of went cottage retro in the face of the megadollar homes being built around us.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2008 at 7:18pm
Sean,
It's cedar

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 3:30am
that's what I was thinking Pete. Lift it...how heavy is it? If it's real easy to pick up, it's Cedar. Cedar's pretty much the standard wood for canoes & kayaks, with mahogany being used just for trim work. My kayak I built a couple years back is all cedar with Ash & Mahogany trim.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 4:01pm
I will sand it a little and give it a sniff but its brutally heavy and very dark in color, but as I said earlier, Im a welder...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2008 at 6:59pm
Sean,
Is there a name plate on it that states it's a Old Town? Is it canvas covered? Is there a model # on it? It will not be aromatic cedar. Most likely eastern white cedar. Very little smell unless you are doing some heavy planing/sawing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 2:05pm
There is an "old towne" brand name on it and I believe a "Scout" model. Not sure what the covering is yet, maybe canvas and "dope" like we used to use on model airplanes but it did not look quite like that. I hope to bring it home after thanksgiving and look it over a little more.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2008 at 6:35pm
Canoes as well as small row/fishing boats made with the canvas covering a wood hull are referred to as "baggies". The coating on the canvas was specifically designed for these boats. It was more like a thinned down bedding compound. The first coat was troweled on and then second and third thinned down coats were brushed on. Light sanding and then paint.

I was working at Watercraft Sales when a customer brought in a small 12' baggie row boat he wanted me to restore. This was about 1969 and we looked for a source of the canvas and the coating without success. One of our mechanics at the time was also into airplanes and he suggested putting on airplane fabric and doping it. Well, after much work with the hull, I did use the airplane fabric. That thing was beautiful and was the lightest 12' row boat I'd ever seen! One stroke of the oars and it seemed to move like 30 feet. The customer was overjoyed! He picked it up, took it home and that very night, the boat was stolen! Someone was watching!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2008 at 9:48am
Pete
Was it Tom Bins who recommended the airplane fabric and dope? can't remember if he was there then.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 1:06pm
Im getting ready to start treating the stringers and such with the ceps before we lay in the first layers of plywood. I want to paint the hard to reach places gray while i have the bottom open. What are you using for bildge paint?
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 2:00am
I used Interlux Bildge paint
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 8:15am
Sean,
No on the Interlux Bilgecoat. It's a gloss finish designed primarily for fiberglass.

Most of the Chris's used the burgandy color. Some odd models and pre WWII used the gray. It's a low gloss penetrating finish. Take a look at private lable bilge paint

Chris's were at least consistent and actually used a bilge paint like most wood boat bilders did. Now, with wood Correct Crafts, I've seen enough of them to know they would through all their left over paints and solvent washes in a bucket and call it "bilge" paint!!! My Atom is a mix of green and gray!!

Are you hard glueing (epoxy) or using 5200 on the new bottom?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 10:16am
The chris is grey below the floor and some burgandy above the floor.

The bottom is going to be bedded in the 5200. If we get sealer and some paint on, i hope to lay the plywood next week. I'm really looking forward to turning the corner on this project and starting to make noticeable progress.

I need to read the next chapter in the book this week to make sure i'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 10:24am
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

The chris is grey below the floor and some burgandy above the floor.
Thanks

That's real odd!! Well, maybe because it was one of the very last boats out the door, they were running low on bilge paint and used both colors!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 12:00pm
The seats were a variety of burgandy, it may have been to match in those areas, its not complete from the water line up sort of painting.

Thanks for the tip on the the wooden boat shop, they were very helpful onthe paint and some other concerns I had.
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

The seats were a variety of burgandy, it may have been to match in those areas, its not complete from the water line up sort of painting.

Some of the hull sides show? Aren't the cockpit sides covered with upholstered panels?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
  Share Topic