Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swing-Away Trailer Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swing-Away Trailer Tongue
    Posted: October-21-2008 at 4:03pm
Everyday reader first time poster. I want to add a swing away kit to my trailer so I can fit the boat in the garage for storage. My trailer has surge brakes and I am thinking I can use flexible brake line at the swing point. I am just trying to decide if I can just cut the rigid brake line and replace that section with flexible using hose clamps or will there be too much pressure for hose clamps to hold on the slick end of a rigid brake line?

Also, this is the kit I am looking at from Overtons Fulton Swing-Away Kit

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for a great site!! I have learned so much from you all already!!
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 5:15pm
Have a mechanic double flair the brake lines where you cut them. He could also recommend aflex line application that would fit your purpose. Be sure to keep everything sae or metric when you are gathering parts. It would be best to solidly mount each connection- ie weld some tabs on the frame.
You know that you will have to bleed the calipers or wheel cylinders when you're almost done.

70 Mustang project
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 6:27pm
dont use compression fittings either, like h20 suggests, double flare and unions no hose clamps, brake pressure may exceed 1000 psi
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 6:35pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 9:32pm
Eric is correct you are not supposed to use comp. fittings,or anything else for hyd. brake lines.Double flare.Also you can buy the short flexible brake line that you need.I do not know about your area but here in Indy there is a large brake part supplier called midwest brake they should have a website.Also remember that you will need a vacuum bleeder for surge brakes.If you need help you can message me here,I have a lot of experience with surge brakes! I will check midwest's site for you.Post pics of this thing when finished! It will be nice to not have to turn the boat diagonal in the garage to fit!
kevinindy
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 9:19pm
[QUOTE=kevin719]Also remember that you will need a vacuum bleeder for surge brakes.QUOTE]

Kevin - Can you explain this a little more?

I just had my wife actuate the coupler with the hitch receiver bar while I cracked the bleeder screws. Is a vacuum bleeder better?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 9:29pm
If you can actuate the piston by pushing it in then there is no need for the vacuum bleeder! The trailers that I worked on for years were larger and I could not actuate the piston or use the breakaway to this! If you can do so life is very good! Probably a good time to check and adjust while you are behind the wheel bleeding.
kevinindy
h20loo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h20loo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 9:34pm
SNobsessed- some surge hitches can be bled that way but usually you need more leverage than just a receiver will give. Sometimes you can just gravity bleed them. Watch your fluid levels if you do this.The easiest surge unit is the one that bolts on top and is usually silver colored. You can use a long prybar to actuate the master cylinder.
Did you get the flex hose installed? It would be good if you had some pictures of your successful instalation.
70 Mustang project
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 1:02pm
Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful. I ordered the part yesterday from Overtons and it should be delivered tomorrow. I think I will tackle this weekend. I hope I can actuate with a prybar, but if not I will be getting the vacumn bleeder. Everyone needs a new tool right?
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 1:33pm
Ok folks. Here are the pics. It turned out very good with no major issues. Flaring the brake lines was the missing link I needed and thanks for the help with that. The biggest challenge was finding a flexible brake line to go there. I ended up going to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses for heavy equipment and they helped me come up with what you see.

Finally. I can put the boat in the garage and feel much better about it.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. I will be glad to put in my two cents.

Before

During

After

And then I cleaned up the tools
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 2:32pm
Looks like you did a really nice job. That kit isnt outrageously priced either- pretty cool.

Question- would you pick up another 6" of clearance by swapping which pin it pivots on? Not sure if its possible to change that or not- just curious.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2008 at 7:16pm
tim..I see what you are saying, and he can move the trailer jack to the other side!

Nice job, Rglover
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2008 at 11:54am
Yes, you can pick up a few more inches (3-4) by changing the swing.

Thanks for the compliments.
Andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2008 at 11:42pm
I love port-a-bands. Ever had a deadblow hammer come apart after a successful whack?
good times
Nice install.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 12:47am
Really nice job there. Looks clean when finished.
Might consider doing that myself if I every clean the garage out enough to put a boat in it....
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Rglover Rglover wrote:

During

In his world its called "during". In my world its called: Oh, no, sawing my trailer in half is way too scary, maybe I won't do this after all.

Nice Project..good work.
Rglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2008 at 11:51am
75 Tique,

I had to promise my wife there was absolutely no chance that I would cut this trailer off and not be able to get it back together before summer. I think had I not promised that she would have layed down over the trailer and not let me start.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic