NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another Speedometer Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Speedometer Question
    Posted: October-20-2008 at 7:45pm
I have an 87 SN and this weekend I did the speedometer glass cover. They look great, post pictures later. Now, I cleaned the pitot and blew air from the front to the back. To test I tried to blow them with the mouth and nothing seem to move. I started blowing compress air slowly and it was until I give it a full blow that the move but only to 25mph. I took the boat to the lake and I confirmed that they are not working. Any ideas or help? Sounds like I may have to replace them. If I open the can they be fixed?

Thanks
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 10:51pm
Anthony,
See the above post by Tellarico, he had his rebuilt.
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 7:26am
Anthony,
Do the compressed air test again but directly to the gauge. Slowly bring up the PSI just like you did and listen for air leaking - you shouldn't have air leaking internally in the spedo. This will tell you if it is a gauge issue or if the pitot tube/dampener is leaking or blocked.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 7:52pm
If I have an internal leak in the speedo, does anybody know if that can be fixed.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 8:04am
Anthony,
I see you did find Tellarico'd post on his speedo restoration. We'll see if he comes back with the name of who did them. There are a couple other threads on firms that rebuilt them as well.

The internal leaks are silver soldered. If you don't want to try it yourself, I would remove the internals and take it it a jeweler. It may cost a couple bucks but they are one of the trades that are very good at silver soldering.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 1:14pm
Pete thank for the information. BTW, I finally finished my school and started working on the boat. I will post my progress but owe a lot to you and other for helping me with the shaft and other things. The boat felt great and WOT was 44mph. I have some issues like over heating and backfires when I nail from idle but somebody has an idea to check the pump linkage and set the timing to 10 BTDC. Amazing what this website can do.
Tellarico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tellarico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 7:52pm
I finally answered the other post.www.classicboatworks.com can fix your speedo. One of mine would fill up with water which I think indicates that the diaphram was broken.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 9:57pm
Tellarico,
    I saw your answer, thanks! I will check with them. If I decide not to do it myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic