NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

85 2001 EP PERFORMANCE SKI????

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 85 2001 EP PERFORMANCE SKI????
    Posted: October-05-2008 at 11:47pm
I have just bought my first nautique and am looking for a little help. It is a 85 model. When I bought it there was a solid red sticker over the original SKI NAUTIQUE that would be down the side of the boat. So I am looking to do some work to it to bring it back to it's original form. When I removed the stickers from the boat it has underneath it EP PERFORMANCE SKIS down the side of the boat. I am wondering if this was a special model or could have been a tow boat for them or if someone painted this aftermarket to the boat. This just has me a little confused on why someone would do this.

Jay
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 5:27pm
Take a picture of it and post it.
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 7:58pm
Here it is. I took off the sticker it had covering it and this is what was under it. Somebody had already tried to do some sanding on it. They did a horrible job.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 8:16pm
HMMMM!! Sounds like your boat was a promo boat for EP ski products. I google it and I found that they used to be a brand of ski before being bought and dropped. Is definetly not a CC model. Either they paint them or special order it like that from CC. If is painted then I don't think the CC factory did that because usually they use vinyl stikers instead of paint but I am not sure. If is painted you can sand them off and put the original one. Acutally, their is a PDF file under the reference section with all decals for this CC model. You can measure that the size is correct and take it to a graphic shop and have them done. Another option other people have done is create stensils and paint them. The gel coat is thick so I am sure you can sand them and restore the paint.

I am restoring a 2001. Mine is an 87. This how the graphics should look like.

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 8:29pm
Cool Rig! Very unique. touch it up and get yourself a nice retro EP slalom ski off Ebay, some pink shorts and have fun with it

Otherwise, wet sand it off, buff it all out and install some stock 85 graphics.

You can get stock looking replacement graphics from Mid West Correct Craft.
-Brad
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 8:32pm
Thanks for the input. It is in the process right now of getting sanded and buffed and new decals put on.

The EP is painted on there. It just blew me away when I was peeling off the old stickers and found this under there. This is what it looked like before I peeled the stickers off.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 10:08pm
I am glad you are taking both of them off. I can imagine a big WTF you must said when you took the sticker out.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 10:47pm
I've got an EP Comp X-2 and a sweet pair of EP tricks that would go really nice with that boat. I was a huge EP junkie back around the late 70's.
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 1:11am
Have a pair of white EP jumpers in the attic...used for jumping and show skiing. Haven't had 'em out of the bag for a few years. EP was solid equipment back in the day.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 1:11am
Steve,
I think I'll hold off on the Ep ski's, but i do appreciate the offer.

Anthony,
I was freakin out when I started to peel it off and saw that the last letter was a 'S'. I was like what the hell does this say on here. I couldn't get that sticker off fast enough. I had to go get my wife's hairdryer to try to get it off easier. She came out and was freakin out too. She loves the boat almost as much as I do. Luckily I was just peelin it off to take it to buddy of mine to get it redone and was curious what it looked like underneath there.

I can't wait to get it back like it was intended to be. Should have it back in a couple weeks but no hurry now. It will just sit for the winter.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 8:01am
John and Steve, No need to check out the profile for ages when someone hasn't heard of EP!! I'm sure we could through some other older brand names at them too! I was just touching up the finish on my wifes Western Wood the other day!

Jay, I have to say that the EP graphics are rather unique and certainly part of the boats history. Brad's (barracuda) idea of touching them up and keeping them isn't that bad!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 11:30am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

No need to check out the profile for ages when someone hasn't heard of EP!!

There's out of touch and then there is really out of touch. If you had asked me, I would have said EP is still out there. Of course, people at LG were laughing at my 25 year old 100 foot kevlar lined barefoot rope. Fortunately, I dont think any of them saw my ski.

Given my propensity for nostolgia, I think I might be tempted to keep the EP logo on the boat, too.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Have a pair of white EP jumpers in the attic...used for jumping and show skiing. Haven't had 'em out of the bag for a few years. EP was solid equipment back in the day.

john

EP still rocks. Alan has a nice pair of tricks (ST-360), CQ has just one, and forum member Mike Mikkelsen gave me a slalom with of course the orange vinyl bag.

I have these 67s with some nice new orange bindnigs to put on.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 1:13pm
I have a 91 EP stilletto which I would still be skiing on if I was still 147lbs, and our "newest" combo pair is an EP set from the mid 80's. I would also probably touch up and keep the graphics.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

There's out of touch and then there is really out of touch. If you had asked me, I would have said EP is still out there. Of course, people at LG were laughing at my 25 year old 100 foot kevlar lined barefoot rope.

Larry, At least it wasn't one of the yellow poly lines with a wood handle! That would be going back way "out of touch"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Larry, At least it wasn't one of the yellow poly lines with a wood handle! That would be going back way "out of touch"!!

I snapped the ends off a few of those. Now if you really want to talk classic, how about that rope you just described but with the two handles, the supposed "slalom rope" of the day. Instead of pulling the rope into your hip to pull out the slack, you were supposed to spread your arms out about 8 feet. I gotta admit, I never liked or owned one of those. Or with the single handle, remember the skiers that pulled the handle way up over their heads. Cripe, I feel like I just took a trip in Mr. Peabody's way-back machine thinking back about that stuff.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 2:25pm
There was talk about an "O'brien" model a while back as well. I don't believe any of these boats were factory done.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 2:54pm
Well where's Dave when you need him. wondering if the HIN would shead any light on whether it was a promo or one off for EP?
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 3:10pm
I'm with Larry on this one. Keep the EP.
Now if anyone finds a Nautique with "Lake Region Skis" on the side, let me know. It will match my other set of trick skis. (the matching Lake Region slalom ski burned in a house fire in '76, which is why I moved up to EP)

Wood, are you interested in selling those?
Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 3:39pm
Is this another one of the same kind of thing?
(from a thread over on the2001)

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 3:58pm
I forgot about that one! If the decals were stripped early enough you'd never see any ghost shadows and might look "original".
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 4:59pm
Sure would try and get some history on that boat before I started removing it, who knows what the history may be.

Is that a stock pylon, looks pretty tall.

Larry, as a kid my dad kept a stockpile of dowels for replacement handles, we used to snap one a week. The boat house on Candlewood still has a couple very old double handle lines and a few old ropes with the plastic floats on the ends, not sure if any of the old ski-belts are still around.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 5:19pm
Besides the wooden dowel handles that the ends snapped of off on a regular basis, we also had the original foam padded handles where the cheezy soft foam got all tore up the first time you used it. My most vivid recollection tho, was a plastic handle we had that looked something like this:

The front to back length was so long that you could hardly get your hands all the way around it to grip it. It was almost like trying to hold onto a book on just one edge and expecting to get any kind of grip.
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 5:21pm
No it is not the stock one. It has been an upgrade at some point. The previous owner did not know much info on the boat and if anything had been changed from the original. He always had a extended pylon over it to pull his son wakeboarding.

I do know from old receipts that the interior was redone in 98 as well as the engine rebuilt. I think that someone had let it go pretty bad. It may have been installed then.

It is surely not the prettiest boat out there, but its mine. Finally, happy to be a CC owner.

Jay
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 5:54pm
Jay you realy should pull the HIN off the boat and send it to Dave Hendricks at CC and see what history he can dig up for you before you remove something you might regret later.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 6:05pm
It looks like a new CC pylon, and probably is just sitting on top of the original pin glassed into the hull. Make sure the cradle bracket stays tight or it'll come up and out!
85jws View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85jws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 6:40pm
79 How do I get in touch with Dave?
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 8:30pm
85jws,
What's the hull number on that boat? Let's see if Dave Hendricks can find out any info on it.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 8:32pm
We're all thinking the same thing.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 9:06pm
This thread is getting very interesting.

I wish my boat was special.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic