Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotting Atom Skier

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotting Atom Skier
    Posted: October-04-2008 at 10:55pm
Refering to Riley's pix of his '59 Glastron in Off Topic forum under "outboard boat info," seeing those pix of an old rotting classic with shrubs growing out of the hull made me think of an Atom Skier I stumbled upon. It was back in the mid-nineties when I was driving down one of the main streets of Center Ossipee, NH. I was driving by an old auto garage repair shop and spotted a CC next to the building. It was a 1968 Freeport, candy-apple red. That boat was on Ossipee Lake for years and it was one of my faves. It was powered by a 165hp Mercruiser I/O and seemed to quietly float down the lake at full speed usually towing a slalom skier. It was a beauty of a boat. Well, there it was, stagnant and neglected on its trailer. The next day I went back and snapped some photos of it...just cuz... and I stepped back into the woods adjacent and spyed a darkened hull of some sort. As I got closer I recognized it immediately as another boat used on the lake years earlier. It too had trees and bushes etc in it. I think it was an early sixties AS, made out of wood and had a V-drive or an I/O outdrive or something. What a shame! It used to be a real cool boat too and it is still probably there or whatever is left of it. As for the Freeport, the guy who stores/works-on my '70 Barracuda took it and planned on eventually fixing it up, however it is now in pretty bad shape. Another shame because those big I/O's were great boats and are very rare now.   
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7613&sort=&pagenum=1
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2008 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by skyfuzz skyfuzz wrote:

I think it was an early sixties AS, made out of wood and had a V-drive or an I/O outdrive or something. What a shame!   

Possibly a Atom but maybe a Panther? The Atom is listed with a I/O in the price sheet but I've never seen one. Here's the Panther with the Eaton outdrive.

Eric, The Eatons are so old, I'll bet you haven't worked on one!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 3:38am

Please keep all stories regarding rotting Atom Skiers to a minimum please, Pete's heart simply can't take it!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 11:57am
now now Pete, I have a few times, I just dont remember it.
PCM even attempted an outdrive once and it plugged into a Borg Warner which are well past thier times, when I get a call for one i can usually gather gaskets and match clutches but hard parts is a different story
Pete, If you knew how many old Twin Disc mechanicals I rebuilt off of the old landing crafts you would be proud
Im at a point in my life that i forget more than i remember
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 12:51am
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

Pete's heart simply can't take it!!!

Yes...please have a little consideration for the hearts of us older guys...

Adam; nice time last night.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 3:00am
Thanks for that photo...that's it for sure! What is that, a '61? Regarding the basket case I found, I thought for sure that it was an Atom because I remember an "Atom Skier" emblem in chrome on the dash.    
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 8:13am
Robert, The picture of the panther is from our 61 brochure ref. section. If you saw the Atom Skier dash emblem then I'd say it was a very rare I/O Atom! The Atom would have been shorter than the Panther and the deck would be plain without the deck striping.

Yes it's a shame that someone left it out to rot. Probably had nothing but problems with the Eaton outdrive. If I had one, I'd be carrying a extra piece of equipment on board - Eric Levine to fix it!!! The clutch dogs/gears were worse than a 50's Evinrude!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skyfuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyfuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 1:28pm
Thanks...I would venture to say that it was an Atom for sure...the first thing I said when I looked at the '61 photo of the Panther was that it looked a bit longer than the one that I saw in the woods...as for the Eaton, I do remember that it did not get used very often...only saw it out on the lake a couple of times each summer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic