NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

regular or premium

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: regular or premium
    Posted: September-30-2008 at 9:40pm
I was looking in corvette forum wich i'm a member in cause apart from the boat i own a 1973 vette. There was this thread about using regular or premium. I wanted to know which type of fuel you use, what type of fuel is the correct for my boat (1992 sn 351w stock with protech ign). I've always used premium (95+ octanes here) but had always the doubt of what would happen if used on what we call here "comun" (regular) of 85 octanes? So opinions are apreciated!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:00am
I use either...can't really tell a difference. But there are guys here (TRBenj and others) that know way more than me.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:32am
I found "super" 93-95oct is what works better with my boat, but of course we have set the points and carb to work with that.

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 2:12pm
If you have 9:1 compression or less, like a stock engine, it should run just as good on 87, maybe less.

I don't know what compression ratio the newer boats have nor do I know what the owners manual recommends. I'm sure others here will know. If the engine is stock I would stick with the owners manual recommendations.

As far as your '73 vette goes, again it depends on how the engine was built.

I've run 10.5:1 w/93 octane in a SBC for over 1,000 passes on the strip and thousands of street miles with no problems. This one had cams ranging from 224 - 236 @.050". I tried 110 race gas with this combo and it didn't make any difference.

My boat is 9:1 and I can't tell any difference between 87 and 93 so I run it on 87. Mainly because I'm cheap! My goal in building the engine was for it to run on 87 so it was built 9:1 compression.    
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

If you have 9:1 compression or less, like a stock engine, it should run just as good on 87, maybe less.

Actually, PCM recommends 89 for all the small block Fords. That would include the original poster's '92 with Protec.

I agree that anything higher would be wasteful on a stock engine.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 2:59pm
Ok will give a try with regular and see what happends. Both engines are stock w/o mod so comp ratio s the one stated by the manufacterer. I think is 9 to 1 on both cases.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

I found "super" 93-95oct is what works better with my boat, but of course we have set the points and carb to work with that.

hate to bust your bubble but Octane has no effect on either of those settings, they will be right whether you use 80 ocatane or 110 octane doesn't a make any differnce what so ever because if it changes by using higher octane then it's not set right to start with.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 3:29pm
79, I guess that if you say so it must be that way. thanks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 3:49pm

79, I guess that if you say so it must be that way. thanks.

points control when it fires and that is all mechanical, so how can a fluid/gas effect a mechanical device that requires no fluid/gas to function? it CAN'T.

the idle mixute screws are a mechanical limit to the amount of fluid that passes through the curcuit, how can the elemental composition of the fluid effect a mechanical limit/orifice size? IT CAN'T it's a fixed area that the fluid travels through and since octane doesn't effect it's viscosity it's flow characteristics are not changed.

So conclusion it doesn't do a damn thing changing the octane rating, the only reason to increase octane is to eliminate a pre-ignition issue, aka ping, which is more common in a high compression High perfomance motor that needs the extra bunch and higher flash point the higher octane gives you.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 4:28pm
79 I might not be as versed as you on all this but what you say doesnt sound square to me, a different gas has different detonation, therefore different advance and maybe even different mix at the carb. Please keep in mind that not all boats are the same nor are all conditions and parts used in them, 93-95 is the lowest octane fuel I can get here, so we tuned it to perform it best with it, does it perform better than using regular?? I dont know and I couldnt care less, it's what I have and I prefer to enjoy the hell out of the boat every day rather than reinventing the wheel. it works for me, if it doesnt for you then deal with it.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 10:43pm
Picture 79 as a junior high teacher.......... In my picture, I see spitballs flying.
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:32am
Here we go!!!
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:56am
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 10:14am
Looks as though Kapla is in Argentina. They may not use the same octane ratings we do, so he should be sure he's looking at the equivalent ratings to what we're telling him.

Measurement methods
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane rating, shown on the pump, is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, is 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and some even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).[citation needed]

It is possible for a fuel to have a RON greater than 100, because iso-octane is not the most knock-resistant substance available. Racing fuels, AvGas, LPG, and alcohol fuels such as methanol or ethanol can have octane ratings of 110 or significantly higher - ethanol's RON is 129 (MON 102, AKI 116). Typical "octane booster" gasoline additives include tetra-ethyl lead, MTBE and toluene. Tetra-ethyl lead (the additive used in leaded gasoline) is easily decomposed to its component radicals, which react with the radicals from the fuel and oxygen that start the combustion, thereby delaying ignition, leading to an increased octane number.

1989 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:00pm

79 I might not be as versed as you on all this but what you say doesnt sound square to me, a different gas has different detonation, therefore different advance and maybe even different mix at the carb. Please keep in mind that not all boats are the same nor are all conditions and parts used in them, 93-95 is the lowest octane fuel I can get here, so we tuned it to perform it best with it, does it perform better than using regular?? I dont know and I couldnt care less, it's what I have and I prefer to enjoy the hell out of the boat every day rather than reinventing the wheel. it works for me, if it doesnt for you then deal with it.

Boy what a dumb ass, not too bright either really doesn't understand the finer points in tunning an engine and that the cam has more effect on the timing than the octane rating of the fuel, gasoline is gasoline, now you want to throw ethanol in to the fuel mix or even run straight achohol then you have to change the flow rate in the carb aka JETS, not the timing d*ck head. NO ONE SAID YOUR POS DIDN'T RUN GOOD OR IF IT WAS STOCK SAID THE F N OCTANE HAS NO EFFECT IN YOUR STUPID ASS WORLD ON HOW TIMING OR CARB IS SET. d*ck
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:37pm
79 nice congratulations on the boat you USED TO OWN
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:38pm

79 congratulations on the boat you USED TO OWN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 1:23pm

79 nice congratulations on the boat you USED TO OWN

made a nice porfit too, but the next you will run faster than 52 MPH that the 79 did d*ckHEAD
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 2:18pm
I do not have a calender in front of me.

But, from the reply that was posted by 79 , I will conclude that it is the first of the month.
This means it is time for his trip to the local Wal-Mart to pick up his supply of MEDS.
Give him a few days guys and he will be back to his "Happy Self"

Chris Wrote............

"made a nice porfit too, but the next you will run faster than 52 MPH that the 79 did d*ckHEAD"

Boat dr Replied..............
I would not unload my boat if it only ran 52mph

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 2:34pm
Sorry, did I just read "blah blah blah I dont have a boat blah blah, all others are POS, I only live from the memory of the one I USED TO OWN and the distributors I USED TO DESIGN, that's why my mouth is full of s79t and bashing other makes my day, sorry you all I dont have a life"

Ok, I forgive you, but I think you need some therapy...

...or a new boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 3:20pm
Sorry Doc my spellings a little off today LOL
profit.

what happened to the days where we didn't have arrogant foreign ass wipes that have trouble translating the english lanuage on a comprehinsion level, AAAHHHH they seem so long ago wwooo is mmmeeee.

The boat was sold because I wanted too sell it because I want a different hull style as my life has changed and the way I like to enjoy boating has too douche bags.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 3:26pm
lanuage?

comprehinsion???

sorry, it seems my web translator can't figure those, or is it that a foreigner spells your own language better than you do that pisses you off???

Anyway, you're full of s79t, you always seem to have a reason to bash on others, I'm really sorry for you, if you dont like me posting here, then I'm sorry too, deal with it, I OWN A CC, what about you? maybe it's you who should take the bashing somewhere else. What about www.Iusedtoownaccbutchangedmylifestyleimfullofs79t.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 3:32pm

lanuage?

comprehinsion???

sorry, it seems my web translator can't figure those

here let me help translat "aroogant foriegn **** " hows that work for you?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 3:50pm
Definitely a High Octane Thread Now!

Luciano,

Tried your link above and it is a Gay p0rn Site.. What The.......?

Home page of Homo's, PLBC'ers in their Pink Wet Suits.

Chris,

So what will be your next craft? The bar has been set pretty high lately with some of those 60mph boats.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 3:55pm
let me see if it works
I will try translating 79nautique...

1-"Chris Broshar, american square head wich used to own a boat some loooong time ago, and now hates everyone who can enjoy a boat not being so anal as he is, he's full of s79t on everyone since he USED to design stuff for someone else some loooooong time ago too, but beware, his old boat made 52mph, then he changed "his lifestyle" and sold it becoming the richiest guy in the US. He's also plenty on verbal aggression involving the word d79k wich since it's simple, he can spell right.
Now he spent his days bashing people on the website of OWNERS of the boat brand he USED to own."

2-Some suffered guy

I think it's working good now!
MarineTech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 4:00pm

"Anyway, you're full of s79t"

I usually avoid local politics like the plague, but I couldn't pass this one up! Mark one up for Argentina LMAO....can't stand it I'm laughing so hard my keyboard shakes. Nothing like good clean fun, no s79t!
Ken
Projects

Luchog wrote:   "Anyway, you're full of s79t"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 4:05pm
Douche bag

1) I still do mechanical deisgn, just for ROLLS-ROYCE jet engines for the military now,

2) boated just as much the last two years as I did the prior years, hwo said the only boat I had access to was the one I sold.

3) your an idoit that has no clue about AMERICA and our way of FREEDOM.

Quiner nice one,

looking at a Rivera with a 454 actually curroius how the cuddy area is and how it compares to a Cuddy nautique, but most likely I'll end up with a barefoot or late 80's martinique want a smoother rough water riding hull design.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 4:20pm
1-So every US citizen is paying you to post on here instead of working?

2-You're a boat w79re now

3-It seems that the one who doesnt have a clue about your ways of freddom is no other than yourself, since you're the one stating that I should not post on this site for not being born in the US.
Please stop referring as "freddom" just as a slogan and start living/giving it, for that you make my eyes bleed.

Go get the new boat, hope you enjoy it.

Now, back to the topic, perhaps some of the real knowledgeable guys in here such as the Boatdr, Eric, Reidp, Trbenj, Brainard or most others with good manners can jump in and give their insights. OM45GE's post was quite helpful I think.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 4:58pm
hey d*ck head it's "FREEDOM" not freddom douche,

said nothing about having to be american just don't care for the arrogance,

And maybe you missed the pictures of me with the BoatDr, or Pete or Tim or Reid, I could careless about Eric but then he knows his tranny's and chevy's and that's about it.

believe the question was answered long before your s hit started flowing out of your ass because you don't understand the finer details of a carb or timing an engine. Guess that's the way they do it in substandard areas of this world.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 5:31pm
Man this sounds like good clean reality-tv...

I'm recovering from the stomach ache I got while LMAO at you guys bashing on each other...

BTW 79... I'm also a forreigner with very VERY little understanding about tuning... , but I keep learning as I go...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic