NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

regular or premium

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Anyway, you're full of s79t

Gotta admit, that was pretty creative.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

Man this sounds like good clean reality-tv...

I'm recovering from the stomach ache I got while LMAO at you guys bashing on each other...

BTW 79... I'm also a forreigner with very VERY little understanding about tuning... , but I keep learning as I go...

well you are never arrogant, but those bath tub shots are a little scary.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

Anyway, you're full of s79t

Gotta admit, that was pretty creative.

yea for fith grader that just learned how to spell curse words.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I still do mechanical deisgn, just for ROLLS-ROYCE

Chris,
Since you are designing for Rolls, maybe you can find out more on this engine. It came up in this thread. 63 Debonaire

You made a comment in the thread but thought you could do more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 7:56pm
Pete, I bet there's not too many people at RR that were around when that was in their line up.

RR builds these drive units they're installing in big tugs they build up in Booth Bay Harbor. They're like a gyroscope and turn in all directions. You drive them with a joy stick.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 9:55pm
79 "Substandard" is what I think you are after reading how you spell in your own language.

You come into almost every topic picking one person for your bashing and you dare call me arrogant because I don't want to be that guy?
C'mon man, grow up, even You can do better than that.

And about the pics with the other respected guys, they are indeed, but you're just the other guy in the pic.

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 12:05am

Chris, save your energy for the "Newbies"!!!
-Adam

1973 Skier
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 12:18am
Adam; You sitting by the phone? If so...call me.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 12:25am
All I can say is WOW!!!!! Do you guys think Ralph Maloon Sr. reads this stuff? I am sure he is proud of the way you two are turning this website dedicated to awsome boats into a Jerry Springer show! PLEASE STOP!!!

Have some respect for yourselves.
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 12:57am
Ok as said before, the octane of a fuel is the combustion point or burn point. The lower the point the easier it is to burn. This means in a low compression engine the lower the octain the more fuel mixture gets burnt and the more efficent and more power it will make.

I would guess that most peoples boats on this site (when stock) were made to run best on 87 octane.(with the exception of boats like the python and earilier high compression motors) That would be with stock compression and stock timing settings. I built my motor with the stock 8.5 to 1 pistions so I could run 87 all day long wide open and have no problems.

As 79 said the higher the compression the more need for higher octane fuel. The higher compression ratio creates more heat on the compression stroke before the plug fires the mixture which causes pre ignition. That is when the combustion temperature gets to high and burns the mixture in an uncontrolled manner creating (ping or spark knock.) So if your burning a higher octane fuel in an engine that doesnt need it your wasting your money because it is making less power and burning less fuel thus running less efficently.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 12:57am

but those bath tub shots are a little scary.

Well...this has been a very interesting thread. I am LMAO like a few of you other guys. But I do have to agree with 79 as to the bathtub shots....now....if they were Chantal that would be another matter!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 11:09am
Pete,

Gas turbine division former Allison plant.

Send me some specifics, model numbers, or something I could search in the databases here and see what pops up. But I would supect that they are all old board drawings and at best micro filmed and store over seas, but they may have been digitized at some time. Might be able to find something but it would be pure luck. It's kinda crazy seeing how small some of these turbines are.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 11:37am
Chris, All I've been able to come up with is it was a 352CI. and developed 250HP

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I would guess that most peoples boats on this site (when stock) were made to run best on 87 octane.(with the exception of boats like the python and earilier high compression motors) That would be with stock compression and stock timing settings.

Like I said before, PCM recommended 89 octane for all the Fords. Otherwise, good info.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Ok as said before, the octane of a fuel is the combustion point or burn point. The lower the point the easier it is to burn. This means in a low compression engine the lower the octain the more fuel mixture gets burnt and the more efficent and more power it will make.

I'd like to add that octane does a little more than that. Octane slows down the burn rate. Slowing down the burn rate helps to avoid premature detonation and also gives the air/fuel mix a more complete burn. We've all been to the fireworks on the 4th of July.... Did you ever find pieces of firework internals that were unburned? Sometimes the explosion can be so violent that it blows unburned gun powder across the sky. That's a waste, right? That can happen in your combustion chamber too. Especially if your timing is too far advanced, your compression is too high and you have hot spots in the combustion chamber. When controlled, advanced timing and high compression can yield big power gains. One way to control it is through higher octane. However, if you don't meet the advanced timing and high compression criteria, it just becomes a waste and will most likely lower performance because of a burn rate that could be too slow. One final tip.... Another way to avoid premature detonation is to use aluminum heads. Especially if the combustion chambers are smoothed out and very clean. Aluminum acts as a very good heat sink and can eliminate those pesky hot spots. There may be other caveats with aluminum, but as far as HP, it does a good job.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 2:59pm
Zach, Bob since you both seem well versed on the topic, back to my orginal point before the train wreck, once the engine is built and tuned, and depending on compression ratio and cam profile of the engine and the min octane needed to prevent preignition, increasing the level from that point, say 85 for stock, 92 HO high compression, there is no need to further adjust the idle mixture screws on the carb or the engine's timing if the octane is increased any amount.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Sam B Sam B wrote:

All I can say is WOW!!!!! Do you guys think Ralph Maloon Sr. reads this stuff? I am sure he is proud of the way you two are turning this website dedicated to awsome boats into a Jerry Springer show! PLEASE STOP!!!

Have some respect for yourselves.

you haven't seen anything newbie, this is mild compared to past adventures of derailed threads. Also last time I checked this wasn't a corporate owned site? did Kieth sell out and I missed it? don't think so.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2008 at 3:23pm

once the engine is built and tuned, and depending on compression ratio and cam profile of the engine and the min octane needed to prevent preignition, increasing the level from that point, say 85 for stock, 92 HO high compression, there is no need to further adjust the idle mixture screws on the carb or the engine's timing if the octane is increased any amount.

That's pretty much right. However, on a stock engine, if you want to get a little more power, you can increase advance a little if you run higher octane. 85 is really low. The lowest we have here is 87. I'm guessing for the most part you won't feel or see any change unless you hit the dyno. The more radical the motor, the bigger the change you'll see and feel by running the right octane. If you jack the compression high enough (regardless what you do with the timing) at some point you won't be able to run low octane fuel at all without causing severe damage. I don't think idle mixture plays a part in it though. Although, I suppose if you start dumping enough fuel into the combustion chambers, maybe you can keep it cool enough and rich enough that you might be able to snuff out the premature ignition. Kind of stupid though.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2008 at 6:18pm
Looks like were all on top of it 79 and bob. The burn point and burn rate are both effected by octane level. I just wish my car would run on 87 without blowing the heads off haha.
Sam B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 7:47pm
BigAir,

I grew up in WiRapids. On hwy 54. by the race track. Small world.

Sam Brundidge
Loud pipes save lives!!

2011 Green Lake Reunion Best of Show.

Sam's 73
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 11:07pm
79, i do know how to please a woman too..
"the things you own will start to own you"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 2:18am
Eric please do not get Chris going again. He made the trip to WallyWorld and refilled his meds, do not Rock His Boat ..........
We have all heard the tales of woe from him as to his SCORES, no need to "BRING UP THAT SUBJECT"
Gotta love my boy Chris......Boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 9:49am
Sam B, Im sure LATELY, the Meloons had more than little closed door spats
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2008 at 3:05pm
Ja, nice talk I've started here!!! yet didn't have the op lately to test my boat as I had the shaft removed to have it balanced. And will get a full alligment. I'll report back with result on using lower octane fuel!!!
Luchog hope we meet soon in your domains!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic