NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Douglas Fir

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Douglas Fir
    Posted: September-30-2008 at 5:25pm
Why douglas fir for new stringers? Any different opinions?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 7:23pm
It's been used for years because it's strength to weight ratio is great. It's also pretty stable with proper drying and maintaining a consistent moisture content. Available in long clear lengths and pretty easy to work with.

Before the Doug Fir, Sitka Spruce was used and is even better but now, it would be hard to find. (you would need to go to Siberia!) White oak is too heavy. Cedar isn't clear enough. Yellow pine has the strength but it's rot resistance is poor. So, the alternate would be a composite. Have you seen Joe's (JoeinNY) thread?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 7:43pm
OMG...I've looked at so many threads and other sites regarding the "why" douglas pine and I suppose it's made me dizzy. I'm having a very hard time finding it. I called a local boat repair co. and he suggested treated? Doesn't sound good to me. Where there's a will, there's a way, I hope.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 7:58pm
Thank you for getting straight to the point on the "why". And thank you for adding comparisons.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 8:13pm
I'm in Maine and my local lumber yard can get it in all kinds of sizes. Don't see why PA would be any different. Try a local lumber yard, not HD or Lowes. It's not cheap. 1x6 is $3.47/foot.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by sanity sanity wrote:

I called a local boat repair co. and he suggested treated? Doesn't sound good to me.

PLEASE post the name of this boat repair company so no one here takes a boat to them. They must be smoking something in the back room!! I'm glad you caught on that treated is bad. The chemicals will screw up the bond with the epoxy resin.

What part of the country do you live in. Doug Fir (not pine like you mentioned) can be hard to get in some parts - it comes out of the Pacific northwest. Greg, (BuffaloBFN) of the "pumpkin Patch" fame, is in Atlanta and he found it.

Edit: I just noticed you're in PA!! Take Bruce's (Riley) advice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 9:03am
It's worth looking for someone that has it in stock. If you special order it you are likely to be stuck with what comes in. As mentioned above, look for the largest lumber yard in your area. If they don't have it, they can usually point you in the right direction.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 9:11am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

As mentioned above, look for the largest lumber yard in your area.

I just want to reinforce/clarify Bruce's and Greg's recommendation. A home improvement center is not a lumber yard.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 10:10am
If you don't have any luck at a decent lumber yard, I have used this site a couple times looking for marine mahogany ply.

wood finder

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:06am
I have tried every lumber yard. Ohio Valley is checking into their suppliers and are calling me back today. I called Baird Brothers located in Canfield, OH and they said I had to purchase a pallet.I work for a construction company and I have called every business that was suggested I call. This has become an obsession now. I'll keep you posted and please give suggestions if you have any other names. Thanks!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:16am
I'll called Phinney Lumber in Gorham, Maine and they can get all types of it, and by the piece. It probably has to go through PA to get to Maine!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:19am
8122pbrainard,
I went to the site that you referenced and found a company "Timber Trails" in Grove City, PA. I left a message. Great site! I am in between Pgh and Grove City. Again, I'll keep you updated!
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 11:20am
Thanks, Riley! The train probably goes right by me here on the river.
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 3:44pm
I found Douglas Fir! The guy from Grove City called back. Now I have a few more questions.
He said it was antique wood. He asked if I wanted clear or select and he said it goes down from there.He asked which way I would prefer the grain to go. Price-wise, I asked for worst case scenerio and he said $7.00 a board foot. Please share your wealth of knowledge with me.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 4:02pm
Michelle,
I'd keep looking! What he has is "reclaimed" wood. Very trendy now for high end interior trim/paneling/molding/etc. They salvage it from old barns and old industrial buildings then resaw and remill it.

A board foot is a volumetric measurement. It's 144 cu. in. so if you had a piece of wood 12" square by 1" thick, that's a board foot. Using the $7 figure,this means that the a 2x6 will be $7 a running foot!!

The fir you want, is common to home construction (the 2x8 joist in your floor) but in some parts of the country other species are used. Keep calling around to the lumber yards.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 4:27pm
Pete,

Two more places have it. West Elizabeth Lumber is out, as they gave me a price of 1717.00 per 2x8x16!

The other place might be a winner. Holt and Bugbee. They are somewhere near Penn State. Their's is kiln dried. They gave a price of 305.50 for 2-2x10x14. They also have the 1x6's.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 4:51pm
OUCH! Even with gas prices you could drive down here for it.

I paid $2.875/bf for 8/4x6x13 and $3.21/bf for 4/4x6(only had grade A in this). The 8/4's were B&C grade but I insisted on picking a bit(they don't always appreciate that).

And since I have the receipt out...
3/4" fir ply-54.95
1/2" fir ply-38.45

This was in march of this year, so some things have changed. Try getting a good measure on length and widths you'll need because you'll pay extra for longer and wider. Also nix the antique and grade A stuff.

Good luck!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

OUCH! Even with gas prices you could drive down here for it.

I paid $2.875/bf for 8/4x6x13 and $3.21/bf for 4/4x6

Michelle,

Just to clarify here with Greg's ref. to 8/4 and 4/4 :

8/4 is 2" or 8 - 4ths of a inch which is the rough cut and un dried dimension. (a "2"x)

4/4 is a 1" or 4 - 4th's of a inch. (a "1"x)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 5:58pm
Thanks Pete!
1988 BFN-sold

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 6:07pm
Thanks guys. I like to learn.I'm still looking! Waiting on call backs. I'll keep you updated.
Ian Sr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Sr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 1:00am
Try here.

http://www.stockbuildingsupply.com/
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 1:07am
This is where I got my Douglas Fir. They had to order it. Just took a few days.

The Hardwood Store

I ordered two 2x8x16s and two 1x6x14s and
the bill was $220.80.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 2:49pm
Found the wood and I'll share that story with you in a bit.

Would you recommend 1/2" or 3/4' doug ply for floor? I am not putting the foam back in.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 2:56pm
Michelle,

The 1/2" will be fine. Just make sure you put the support back in behind the dog house (engine cover). That's a spot that seems to get alot of traffic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Michelle,

The 1/2" will be fine. Just make sure you put the support back in behind the dog house (engine cover). That's a spot that seems to get alot of traffic.

or the extra piece in front of the motor box for the ski pylon.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I called a local boat repair co. and he suggested treated? Doesn't sound good to me.

PLEASE post the name of this boat repair company so no one here takes a boat to them. They must be smoking something in the back room!! I'm glad you caught on that treated is bad. The chemicals will screw up the bond with the epoxy resin.

What part of the country do you live in. Doug Fir (not pine like you mentioned) can be hard to get in some parts - it comes out of the Pacific northwest. Greg, (BuffaloBFN) of the "pumpkin Patch" fame, is in Atlanta and he found it.

Edit: I just noticed you're in PA!! Take Bruce's (Riley) advice.

Pete-

www.wicks.com

Tim

sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 7:02pm
I went back to the woodfinder site. We have a crew working in Elkridge, MD and I asked the job supervisor if he would bring the lumber home to me. This is going to cost me a few lunches and I'll even throw in a few cases of beer. Well worth it....

The company is World of Hardwoods
pricing:
1x6x12= 2.29 lf
2x8x14= 5.93 lf
1x8x6= 3.22 lf
1x4x12= 1.35 lf
3/4" @ 4x8 marine fir ply FSC A/A = 132.22
1/2" @ 4x8 marine fir ply FSC A/A = 102.31

I also inquired about mahogany for decorative purposes....why not?

The ply sounds a little high compared to what you paid.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 7:22pm

3/4" @ 4x8 marine fir ply FSC A/A = 132.22
1/2" @ 4x8 marine fir ply FSC A/A = 102.31

I also inquired about mahogany for decorative purposes....why not?

The ply sounds a little high compared to what you paid.

Michelle,

The ply is high due to the marine grade. All you need is exterior fir. Same glue, same wood but the specs on the inner plys are looser. The marine grade is typically used for structural strength hence the tighter standards. Exterior is fine for the floor.

Mahogany for decorative purposes? In your house?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sanity View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 7:49pm
The mahogany is for the dash plate on the Carver.
Although...I did see someone's boat on the cc site that had wood on the side interior.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 7:50pm
If I were to use wood I would go 3/4 under the seats and back to the pylon, and probably on the removable section in the back as well. I dont know which boat your working on but most from the factory have 3/4 over the foam in the front.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic