Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reid’s Mustang @ 60 m.p.h. on Lake George

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
LGKen82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGKen82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reid’s Mustang @ 60 m.p.h. on Lake George
    Posted: September-25-2008 at 5:31pm
It was like a mill pond and 72 degrees. The perfect setting to see what this little pocket rocket could do. In it's first solo run with Jeff Roach at the wheel since the reunion Reid's lil' hog needles out at 60 m.p.h. Unsure of the accuracy of the gauges we took a cruise with a GPS and sure enough 60 m.p.h. according to the satellites above.

To the Godfather's dismay, I don't like to be the one to deliver such bad news and especially having been so involved with the build of the 409 I hate to say that thankfully Reid already holds both pinks. As Jeff tore-ass by the dock at 60, so did the words of the Godfather swirling around counterclockwise down the bowl of disappointment.

Maybe next time Dave!!

Reid - take your time coming to get your boat, really there is no hurry. We'll make room if need be.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 5:35pm
Wow. I can see Reid waving his hat during the victory lap. That's got to be a world record.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 6:03pm
Glad shes doing what she should be, after reluctantly messing around with one of his previously untouched favorites that boat not running right definitely was hurting Reid's soul...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 6:31pm
Yes, but did the tach stay in the dashboard?

Anyway, congrats Reid, it is quite a boat, thanks for the opportunity to take the helm.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 6:57pm
LGKen82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGKen82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 7:13pm
[QUOTE=75 Tique] Yes, but did the tach stay in the dashboard?

As a matter of fact the tach is on the floor. If I recall the tach was wedged in place with some dollar bills during the reunion, but Reid took his wad with him.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 7:23pm
Thats great, now just add a bottle of NOS and some racing fuel and she will be hitting 70!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 8:20pm
I'd like to hear what's been done to that engine. It looks bone stock.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 8:25pm
Its got a cam, its got heads, its got a manifold, its got serious compression, and there was nothing wrong with the stock HM engine to begin with....

What I want to know is what Brother Jeff found wrong with it that spoiled Reids victory over well his other boat..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 8:26pm
Congrats Reid. If anyones boat was going to break the 60 mark ,I was sure it would be one of yours .
Now , what do you have in that motor ?

Nice hat , by the way.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

What I want to know is what Brother Jeff found wrong with it that spoiled Reids victory over well his other boat..

Early reports indicate the main problem was in the original dist, though there were some valve issues coming into play as well. Id like to hear more details as well!

I cant say that Im one bit surprised to hear it broke the 60 mark- that package in that hull has exactly what I thought it would take. Now Im curious what kind of power it would take to get that hull to 70.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2008 at 11:32pm
[QUOTE=p/allen]   

QUOTE]

I'm betting he's not telling. I do notice the absense of PCM manifolds.

Nice job!

Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 12:16am
Ken,
Where's the video??

Nice work Jeff. We knew Reid left his boat in the right hands.

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 12:52am
Well guy's, I spoke with Ken and Tom Roach, and yes Reidp today.

Man I want to ride in that boat!!!!!

I can hear the people say man that Correct Craft Mustang sure sounds nice!!!!!

Is that stock????? (hehe)

Again well done BIG DADDY!!!!!!

Keith it's hard to keep a chase boat with camera to film the SUPER CRUSHER STANG............
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 1:20am
Godfather..What are you doing on sat OCT=4th thats when Mojo will be in town, we will be going out on lake Conway if you want come let me know!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 1:23am
Mark means you too AdamT...me and Patti have a comitment in the morning but we mean to hook up with you guys later...probably at Olde Towne. Forgot...I think Eddie and Jo Anne will be interested as well.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

QUOTE]

I'm betting he's not telling. I do notice the absense of PCM manifolds.

Nice job!

[QUOTE=p/allen]
Nice hat , by the way.

That IS a good looking hat, isn't it Pat? If I didn't thank you enough at GL, please let the multiple sitings at LG serve as evidence of my appreciation.

As for the engine, Joe spelled it all out above. The stock-appearing intake is a painted alum Holman Moody over-the-counter piece. The heads are iron 1.94" x 1.60" valve World Products Windsor Jrs which Josh (remember him?) and I ported several yrs ago; The cam is a vintage Crane .484/512" lift, 216/228 duration RR stick I've had for 10 yrs from back when Crane was still making them under their name. And the pistons are the same Keith Black KB-116 domed ones used in my blue Mustang. With the 58cc Windsor Jr heads they yeild a borderline high comp ratio of +/- 10.8:1 according to their website. To answer Brktracer's question about the exh's, these are the stock but exh port matched HM alum manifolds. The cam may be a little much for an everyday 302, as you can certainly hear it lope, but it'll idle down low and the holeshot doesn't seem to have been affected from what Jeff said, and with the combination of the other parts certainly by far out-pulls a stock 302.

As far as what was wrong with it, Tim already heard somewhat from me and that aside from a slight rocker adjustment, the culprit was/is the old, original, sloppy (as Jeff verified) distributor, so it's not keeping the points (yes, points) set correctly. I should have known better, but it came straight off my blue '69 Mustang which historically ran great. Ironically, and I don't know if anyone remembers, but one of the reasons I had decided to finally tear down that stout but well-abused blue boat engine last winter was that it had developed an intermittent max-rpm miss (imagine that), which I thought was valve train related. So today, I shipped Jeff the replacement electronic Mallory unit which I bought last year but never installed on the blue boat as it needed a RR gear installed. I'm anxious to drive it myself.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 2:16am
MaddMarxx, let me check on the 4th and I will get back with you....thank you for the invite..
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 2:50am
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 4:21am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

As for the engine, Joe spelled it all out above.

I'm anxious to drive it myself.    

Yeah why is it when I tell them the answer they still look to hear it from horse's mouth.

Reid I maybe driving as far south as stanton va on the 15th and 16 of october for work, i would still rather meet with you up this way for a weekend if you have the time but depending on who I am traveling with and if they let me drive one of my trucks we might be able to get ten hours of that boat retrieval trip knocked out for you.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 11:23am
Reid.................
All i can say is You always Da man!!!!
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 11:24am
Goes fast! 60 mph stang...nice!

Ken...please pass this on to Jeff. Huge thanks!!! Last weekend we had a get together in Illinois with several site members(some who were @ Lake george)...I was lucky enough to place a call to your service dept and Jeff asnswered...he guided me though a small issue on the Super Air and had us up and running again...saved our weekend!

You guys absolutly rock!

Thanks once again!!!!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Sabre002 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 1:59pm
Now I'm going to have to get back up there to the lake. I have never seen that boat in the water. I sure have moved it out of the garage enough though.

I'm glad all that port work did something on them heads, I'm still getting metal shavings out of my ears lol. Does that 302 now spinning the right way (or worng) not push oil out of the back seal now?
So what winks and f**k's like a tiger?
www.facebook.com/sabre002
BlondieGurl1443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondieGurl1443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 4:03am
Originally posted by Sabre002 Sabre002 wrote:

Now I'm going to have to get back up there to the lake. I have never seen that boat in the water. I sure have moved it out of the garage enough though.

I'm glad all that port work did something on them heads, I'm still getting metal shavings out of my ears lol. Does that 302 now spinning the right way (or worng) not push oil out of the back seal now?

This is what it looked like the last time I saw it, sitting with an inch of dust on it in the garage and with no deck stripe on it!

Josh..so what you saying is, that is the Motor out of the red Donzi, is it a Holman moody?
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 4:08am
Sorry about that lisa forgot to log out again!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 1:32pm
Mark, We installed the deck stripes at the campground at GL this year, as part of the CCFan "orange stripe" tee-shirt deal along with the CCFan blue logo across the stripe.

As for the engine, the short block IS from the red Donzi, where is resided for just a few months before we realized the incorrect rotation issue. We pulled it from the Donzi in favor of a std rot 347, but the alum heads stayed with the Donzi. The 302/306 shortblock, which was built for an old Mustang +/-10yrs ago, sat on the stand for years before the Donzi and then again until now. And from what I've seen thus far, it's not loosing any oil out of the rear seal since she's turning the right direction. But it's just a normal block/crank/rods with the high comp dome pistons.

EDIT: Ford's racing parts catalog offers a longblock with similar spec'd parts to what we've used; heads, cam, but lower compression (9:1 vs 10.8:1) which they rate at 340HP. The heads they show are the exact ones we had/have on the 347 Donzi.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/302smallblock.asp
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Sabre002 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 6:03pm
Ya that motor had been passed around a little, I put that short block together in 2005 I belive so its been sitting for some time.
So what winks and f**k's like a tiger?
www.facebook.com/sabre002
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 1:22am
Well . . . I officially and for the record have not the foggiest idea of what you guys are talking about, except that the boat goes fast. Congratulations Reid! And I still cannot believe how original that boat is.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 1:47am
Saw that boat in the garage too Lisa when me and Patti visited last summer. Looked cool even in the garage. Had to walk pass it on the way to the beer cooler so I saw it alot.

Not to worry Chuck...I too have no idea what they are talking about..just like the way they say it.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 10:27pm
geez bruce should i start looking at a pro charger for this vortec ?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic