Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop for 88 Martinique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Conan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop for 88 Martinique
    Posted: September-07-2008 at 10:24pm
Hello everyone. I couldn't find much info on props for my boat elsewhere. My boat has a 13x13 prop. It has a 351 engine. I would like to first find out if the prop I have is the standard size for my boat. I have a hard time getting the boat to plane when there are alot of people riding with me. My boat is a closed bow so I can't move people forward enough. I am happy with top speed(44-45), but would like better performance. Maybe trim tabs? I really don't want to put holes in my transom. Any sugestions will be greatly appreciated.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 7:33am
Conan, How many people are you talking about? The top speed of 44 to 45 tells me the prop may be ok. Whats the WOT? The best you could do is a Acme 540 (it's a RH) as it may help out some. How's it sittng in the water? Just wondering if you may have a problem with extra weight from wet foam. You could pull it across the scale and weigh it too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 12:51pm
I owned a '87 Martinique OB with a 240hp 351 PCM (I sold it 12 yrs ago). The original prop was a 3 blade 13 x 12. I believe it was a Federal prop. You may beable to get more info from MWCC. I also had a 13 x 13 that I used as a spare. Both props performed well for salom and barefooting.

Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Conan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 1:38pm
Thanks for the replies guys.

I Have not had the boat weighed but it sits high in the water and runs well with just my wife and I and two friends. The capacity says 8. We had 8, too much weight behind center of boat. Thats why I thought trim tabs. WOT is about 4400 rpms. GPS speed is 44. I think I will just limit the weight. I need a spare prop, mine is a little dinged up and does not run smooth. There is a 13x13 in the for sale section of this forum, but it is an older listing. Maybe this 540 is the way to go.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 1:54pm
have you tuned-up the motor lately?
Conan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 2:22pm
I have not given the motor a tune-up. PO had this done 2 summers ago and has about 50 hours on these plugs. The motor starts and runs fine. How fast is this boat supposed to run? Where is the best place to get a 540? or should I buy a prop that was standard from factory?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 2:34pm
44 at 4400 isn't bad. With a tune up and the 540 it should improve. Everyone that runs them states a improvement.

For the prop, I'd go to Delta Prop who is one of the sites sponcors. (they have a banner or go to the "links") Give them the discount code.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Conan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 2:50pm
Thanks Pete, I went to college with some jokers from Three lakes. Nice country up there. Ordered a 540. I'll let you know. Pictures to come.   Great forum here!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 3:25pm
The code is on their banner.

Ok, who are the "jokers" you went to school with? UW Eau Claire? I've been going up all my life (my grand father bought land up there in 1940) so I do know most of them!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Conan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 3:31pm
I went to college at UW Oshkosh back in early eighties. A guy named Tim Howell. We called him "arms" and Thurston. He had a roommate
Dave who was also from Three Lakes. I have been there many times on snowmobiles.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I have been there many times on snowmobiles.

None ring a bell but you are younger than I am!!!
Snowmobiling to Weasel's??? - or did you have women with you!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Conan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2008 at 3:50pm
I have been to Weasel's. My wife never rides with me. She has a bad back. It doesn't stop me from going however.
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 8:50pm
Hey conan, i've got the same boat as you (but an O/B) and have also been looking to reprop. acme guys recommended a 542 when i spoke with them awhile back, but i'd like to know how the 540 works for you. post your results once you get the prop on the boat. thanks
Conan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2008 at 8:55pm
I'll put it on tonight and try her out on Saturday. Weather is rain here til Saturday.   I think you would be ok with the 542 as you can put some people up front to help with planing.
Conan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2008 at 11:46pm
OK I put the new 540 Acme on the boat and took her for spin. The holeshot was greatly improved. This boat comes out and up right now. She runs very smooth. I have no vibrations. At wot, 42 mph(gps), 4400 rpms. My tach may be off but its probably close. My 13x13 original prop was nicked and dented a tad and did 44 mph wot same rpms. But the old prop took the boat twice the time and effort to plane out. Now with the 540, the boat will put you back in your seat even at 35mph. So, a little less top speed, but smoother, quicker and snappier. I don't know if I should have gotten the 542 instead, but definately better than the original. I will get that old prop serviced and keep it as a spare. What do you guys think about the difference between the 540 and the 542?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 12:30am
I have till next month to decide wich one to buy, it's a though call I guess.

I mostly use my boat for cruising and wakeboarding, normally around 600lbs between passengers and stuff. I see 23mph at 2400rpms.

While boarding I might add up to 800-1000lbs, with the current prop I see 22mph at 2500-2600rpms, I wonder what would happen in this scenario to my rpms with the 540 or the 542.

Any input is appreciated
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

I don't know if I should have gotten the 542 instead, but definately better than the original. I will get that old prop serviced and keep it as a spare. What do you guys think about the difference between the 540 and the 542?

The 542 has less pitch so your WOT RPM's would be up - probably too much. I feel you made a good choice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Conan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 1:36pm
Thanks Pete. I too feel I don't want/need more rpms. After all, this engine is 20 years old. Cruising around at 2500-2800 rpms I have all kinds of snap. If I wanted a boat that would go 50+ I would buy a different boat. This boat rides nice and is very well made. Rides better in rough water than my buddies new 19ft glastron. I always say, "I'll race ya, but I get to pick the day".

Luchog, I think you would be happy with the 540 too. Out of the hole is waaaaay better than the original as well as power all the way up to wot.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2008 at 2:05pm
I forgot to mention I use a 13x12 michigan prop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic