Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Insurance for restored SN and dock

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insurance for restored SN and dock
    Posted: September-03-2008 at 12:54am
Any of you have dock insurance on a floating dock? My homeowners carrier said my policy would not cover the dock. They said due to all the hurricane damage at the coast dock insurance was impractical in SC. For the quote they gave me I could replace the dock in <10 years. Better off to self insure for that price!

Also, what about insurance on the boat? I see that Hagerty has classic boat insurance available. Any experience?

Down the lake about 7 miles 6 docks were demolished by a tornado/micro-burst when the last tropical storm came through. Got me thinking about how much I have invested that's floating around out there!

Thanks!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 2:22am
Hi-ya Matt...hows that boat been running?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Brktracer Brktracer wrote:

Also, what about insurance on the boat? I see that Hagerty has classic boat insurance available. Any experience?

Thanks!

NO on Hagerty!!! I think all they do is promote themselves by sponcoring organizations and events. They have got to have someone in bed with someone at the ACBS as well!!
They don't pay out on claims and use outside adjusters that don't know what the H they are looking at. In one instance, the adjuster jumped up on the aft deck of a friends Century for a picture. The friend had prop/rudder/strut damage and had already removed the gas tank to look for inside damage. On some of the century's removing the gas tank also removes the aft deck support. Guess what! The adjuster crushed the deck. To top it off, he had street shoes on!(this is a wood varnished deck).

I've got all my boats on my homeowners policy.

Every show I go to there are always "goody bags" for the exhibitors and of coarse Hargerty has their junk it them. I'll get home and throw out the Hargerty floaties and pens!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 12:39pm
Shop the insurance, Have used several different companies over the years, Progressive, Ace American, United Marine Underwriters, Boat US and also through my homeowners. Rates vary quite a bit, have always used a declared value policy, basically you set the value within reason.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 12:44pm
I dont have any idea about the dock, but, USAA (my primary insurance company) stopped insuring boats and actually put me in with Progressive. My rates have actually dropped and will continue to drop if I dont have a claim. I think that is pretty cool. By the way, is your dock actually floating on Lake Hartwell?? I am on Clarks hill and I need to mow around mine! We went over to Russell Sunday, what a pretty lake, not many boats, very little Hydrilla, good skiing.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 12:12am
Hey John! She's running great. Due to the lake levels here I'll probably put her on the trailer soon - just in case.

emc,

The water's predicted to go down about 6"-1' per week. There are some usable ramps down to 638' and the current water level is around 645'. No way I'm going to leave it on the lift sitting on dirt!

We're real lucky here. It drops off almost straight down. I've still got 3' under the front of my dock and 15' under the back - LUCKY!

Corps will start to sacrafice Hartwell soon as Clarks Hill can't generate if it gets much lower.

We really, really need rain!

Luckily it's thundering right now! but still no rain.

We need a tropical storm, but not the wind and tornados!

Matt
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 12:51am
Cool to hear back from you Matt. It sure has been a lost summer for some of you guys. We have been very low here all summer as well but the lakes me and backfoot use have started to come back up a bit. Have been getting a good bit of rain from the storms going by.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 12:59am
Matt,
here is an old thread

boat insurance
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 11:21am
Hey Matt, FWIW....if your dock is setup like mine, as the water drops the front of the dock goes down and the back gets caught on the dirt, the cable holds tight and bends the dock. My cables attach up high on the dock so it really bent the poles. I should have let out a lot of extra line, and put up my ladder!
Its early, so I hope this made sense
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 11:47am
John,

It's been quite a busy summer. I've been working hard and trying to play even harder. Not much time for typing. Hope you had a good trip to TN!

Shawn,

I'll check out that thread. I don't want to break the bank but I feel like it would be smart to have some kind of insurance.

emc,

My neighbor had his cables raised like you mention. It really helps for docking PWC's on the inside. The problem is as the water moves up and down the cables and the gangwalk follow different arcs which causes them to bind like you mention. I keep a watch on their's for them since they don't come every weekend. As the water goes down they loosen and as the water rises they tighten. Like you said it can really cause problems if you don't pay attention.

I've seen some docks damaged really bad because the owners didn't move them out or either the bottom wasn't level and the weight of the dock caused some substantial bending and in some cases breaks! For the price of docks we can't afford to let them get damaged!

Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2008 at 12:28pm
Lots of people on that thread talking about "stated value" policies.

From what I know about hanging around with hot rodders and car restorers for the past 20 years one does not want a stated value policy.

Problem is "stated value" means an adjuster determines the value at that precise time. If there is an accident 1 year later they will prorate the policy based on their opinion of what the book value is. But ironically enough the premium was not prorated during the policy!

All the hot rodders are going with agreed value policies now. With this policy the owner and underwriter agree on the market value of the car and the policy is for that amount. Somewhere along the line they actually realized that people that restore cars don't drive them daily and tend to keep them in show condition therefore there is little to no wear and tear. Furthermore, if you are paying premuims on a $ amount, shouldn't you be titled to that amount if there is a total loss?

Another way to do it is to have an appraisal by a 3rd party on file with your insurance company. That worked for me one time!

I was unsure of how insurance worked in the boating world but it sounds like it's similar to car insurance.

Any advice on dock insurance?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic