NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NEWS FLASH, PINK’S AT LAKE GEORGE

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 1:54pm
Man, with all this hype, it's going to look pretty bad if that 409 doesn't dominate everything, and especially if Godfather begs off on lining up with someone.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 1:58pm
so your going to flash the Prom in the computer for extra pony's nice? or just replacing the ECU all together with a re-mapped unit? You do get all the goodies don't you?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

so your going to flash the Prom in the computer for extra pony's nice? or just replacing the ECU all together with a re-mapped unit?

Id be curious to know exactly what he would change. I bet removing the rev limiter is one of the things he'll do, though. I know my uncle will bump up against it in his '04 196 (ZR6). I think its set close to 5400RPM.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 3:09pm
rev limiter, advance profile, fuel pressure, injector pulse width, sensor limits, lots of things to change and get power from, the rev limiter is the last thing to change if at all. Stick with the simple stuff your better off there than the fancy motors that require a computer to operate. Easy to get a 50 more pony's if you have the equipement and know how.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

the rev limiter is the last thing to change if at all.

For all-around power, yes. For top speed, no- assuming he's not repropping. If a 375hp 196 can hit the limiter, then the 409 should be as well. Those other tweaks will equal more power, so the limiter will have to disappear if they want to push more revs.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 3:33pm
If you are going to run for a couple miles then you might need a few more R's for the top end but then you risk blowing it up too.

But if it only takes say 100 ft to get to your top speed and it takes every one else 300 ft to get to there top speed who wins in a quarter mile race? The one that doesn't have to change the rev limit because he's opened up a huge lead after 100 ft and extends that lead even more over the next 200 ft while your pig is still trying to get to max RPM to pass it which, it's not going to do very fast, if it's only a couple of MPH faster to start with, so really changing the rev limit is the last thing to worry about.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 4:20pm
If these boxes are needed to get decent performance out of a 6.0, will Correct Craft offer them as an option?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

If these boxes are needed to get decent performance out of a 6.0, will Correct Craft offer them as an option?

the boxes are all ready on the motor from the factory, I'm guessing that it is a tweeked version of the stock black box ECU/computer that controls all of the engine's functions, rpm, timing, idle air control, all sensors and so fourth and I doubt What Dave has will be availible for any engine but the CCF boat.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 6:35pm
I believe the rev limiter on the 409 might be as high as 5700 as that's what the specs show the horsepower at. I saw this on the PCM site I believe.

I just bought me a rev limiter for my new engine and after a few test runs with the new 12x17 prop, I conservatively set it at 6400. Jack Roush was with me at the time and he thought that was a little low, until I told him who/what the competition was. He then suggested I drop it even further, stating that he saw no apparent cause to run the engine any harder than need be.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 6:54pm
God..It's getting deep in here!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 11:42pm
Reidp,Eric says he can ship the prop Friday.Set up time of 2.5 hours and 4 hours on the CNC will produce the props you asked for. He has two blanks in stock,with that said you will be covered .
Tell Jack Roush the BS stops at the prop, lets see who has the white flag raised Sat.............Boat dr
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2008 at 11:43pm
79nautique, I like the way you think and comments. Now if everyone esle would go back to school, they might have a chance BUT it will be to late..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 12:09am
Wow, that's great news Doc. Man I still smell smoke in here. Oh that's Reidp wallet burning!!

Maybe I'll start calling him SugarDaddy, the way he gives his money out. To one off prop's and what esle this crazy man trying to do.

He must have been on a losing team back in childhood.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 10:49am
Dave you have to be carefull it's hard telling what Reid has stashed in that barn of his maybe he's going to bring that skiff but then that's not right, CC's only right?

The limit on R's is directly perportional to the precision and degree of balance of the complete crank assembly. The closser to zero the higher RPM and last time I check most stock production motors are not balanced so pushing over 6K is risky especially with a fresh motor that is not completetly seated but lets crank up the Rev limit anyway. Don't think so Tim, does the future owner really deserve an abused motor over bragging rights? doesn't seem to bright to me.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 11:26am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Reidp,Eric says he can ship the prop Friday.Set up time of 2.5 hours and 4 hours on the CNC will produce the props you asked for. He has two blanks in stock,with that said you will be covered .
Tell Jack Roush the BS stops at the prop, lets see who has the white flag raised Sat.............Boat dr

Eric was seriously balking about committing to having my 13.5 x 17 done by the reunion gotta call him today to get him more solid, if that reidp guy jumps in line I am gonna pitch a fit I mean he cant buy more than 5 to 10x as many props as me right..

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 1:19pm
Joe,Getting Eric to tool up for a 2 blade 19" and a 21" was the trick. Reid ain't the one with the stroke at Johnson Propeller.I have had a dealer number there for several years.
Once again it is who you know, that makes things happen.If you wonder why I push OJ and knock Acme this is the reason.Acme seems to to think that they are doing me a favor by selling me props of answering questions.
Eric and Sue have always jumped thru hoops for my customers,fast turn around on repairs and special orders they do with ease, the impossible takes a little longer....................Boat dr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 1:43pm
Now something smells fishy here. Why would Reidp need this GOLDEN CHILD PROP.

If I do my math right, the BLACK BOX would still win!!

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 1:50pm
I don't get why a supposed HOT PCM 409 needs a special aftermarket black box. Why don't they just dial it in right to begin with?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 2:21pm

I don't get why a supposed HOT PCM 409 needs a special aftermarket black box. Why don't they just dial it in right to begin with?

Its just speculation, but one nice feature of the 409 is that it only requires 87 octane. Perhaps one of the possible "tunes" that Dave can alter would advance the timing a bit to take advantage of some higher octane fuel?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 2:36pm

It is dialed in, engines tuned to absolute max performace probably wouldn't last very long.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

It is dialed in, engines tuned to absolute max performace probably wouldn't last very long.

Well then it ought to be pretty interesting if The Godfather has to dial it up to #10 and run it WFO.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 2:53pm

Not unlike a car/truck, dialed in for everyday use would be based on maximum efficiency and dependability, performance not necessarily being the top of the list. Would liken it to re-programming the chip in your daily driver.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 2:54pm
all manufactures are very conservative when setting limits on engines and this is so they last longer and the owners have years of enjoyment with out any warrenty issues related to the motor. If you look in some of the old stuff in the ref section there where engine options availible that had no warrenty on the motor because of the limit being pushed.

Hell you never know he might have a larger mettering plate and bigger injectors to throw in too, then throw in the ECU changes watch out don't get hit by the spray when it blast off.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 3:01pm
Wow I have been away from the site way to long.. You guys make me want to take the AWOL and be there for this wold event.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 8:47pm

Well then it ought to be pretty interesting if The Godfather has to dial it up to #10 and run it WFO.

I kind of remember Reid saying in GL,that his goes to 11
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 9:45pm
I wonder if that boat will preform as good as one of those Corvette boats that had the 383-callaway motor in it, and ran in the upper 60s, keep in mined Reids Classic is about his 3rd or 4th fastest boat he has in his stable, you better hope he dont pull his baby blue mustang up there or Marshlls boat!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2008 at 11:04pm
MM , there are rumors as to what weapon Reid
will be armed with. Dave has opened a can of worms here.
How many HP doe's it take to swing a 19" prop 6400 rpm's
Hope he can back up the "TELL" with some "SHOW". But then again he has not said what boat "THE GODFATHER" will be towing.
Could there be a secret that only PCM/CorrectCraft know about?
This could be a Bait & Switch on Daves part.Who knows what CC has stashed in the R&D department , wanna give us a hint Dave.....
<<< I am gonna put my money on The Reid Man>>>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 12:43am
Ok Doc, everyone know's you don't go to a party with out a present!!

That's all I can say for now, so dry off and jump back in your hole you dirty little rabbit.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 12:56am
Wow James I gotta agree...this is shaping up to be a "don't miss" event.

I would be there, even if I hadta walk, execpt for the fact that we will be in Ohio for the 50th of the West Shore Water Ski Club. Now that willbe some party with my brother and all my ski club buds.

But I will be there with you guys in spirit. Better be taking lots of pics and video.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2008 at 1:31am
9 day's left to sweet talk your way to Lake George .

I'm shock here, that no one has asked if the 409 comes with DUALS !!

Oh that's right you saw the video from Ken test driving it before the install.

Now is this statement true or not.
But it sure does make you think about it..

Man you is this guy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic