NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy here: from NJ , PICTURES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by silverstang84 silverstang84 wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

You pump it out of the dip stick tube with a small pump.

hand pump or electric?? where can i get one??

"SUCK UP" Vacuum Pump
-Adam

1973 Skier
silverstang84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverstang84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 8:43pm
i'll be picking up an oil change pump sometime this weekend.

on a side note: i got the boat running on its own today. man it sounded nice. the only problem is that after it has been running, once you shut it off, it's hard to start again. even if the motor has been running for an hour and is fully warmmed up, it wont start with out choke or starter fluid. whats happening? i also blew out the exhaust hose...... the one that comes off of the riser. but other than that. not a bad afternoon.lol
1964 Correct Craft straight 6
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 11:23pm
i want the wheel   how much              gilligan
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 11:33pm
Ian,
When you say it wont start after warming the engine up, is it cranking over, and how fast?

A few things to check.. the ignition timing and dwell, points, weak/leaking coil.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverstang84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 12:14am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Ian,
When you say it wont start after warming the engine up, is it cranking over, and how fast?

A few things to check.. the ignition timing and dwell, points, weak/leaking coil.

what i mean is that when you get the engine running, it will run beautifly. but when you shut it down, and go to start it right back up, it will crank, but not start. but if you give it a little starter fluid, or choke the motor, it fires right up. i think its fuel related. i had to clean out the carb pretty good today to get it to run on its own.
I understand that a cold engine will need some starter fluid or choke to get running but my boat needs it each time you start it, even when its hot!! i can't figure it out
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 7:29am
Go easy on that damn starting fluid. Some people don't realize that ether is a very strong solvent and washes the oil off the cylinder walls. My late father-in-law was addicted to the stuff and several of his older outboards and snowmobiles died from very little compression left after using it. I would keep telling him that all they needed were tuneups but he said that the cans of starting fluid worked just fine!!

Pull the fuel pump and manually operate it. See if you get any gas coming out the backside (the crankcase side). That would indicate a old bad diaphragm that won't deliver the needed pressure. Also see if the check valves in the pump are ok. If leaking, it won't hold the pressure. The old rubber parts in the old pumps aren't the greatest plus if they have ever seen our newer gas, don't last very long.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverstang84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Go easy on that damn starting fluid. Some people don't realize that ether is a very strong solvent and washes the oil off the cylinder walls. My late father-in-law was addicted to the stuff and several of his older outboards and snowmobiles died from very little compression left after using it. I would keep telling him that all they needed were tuneups but he said that the cans of starting fluid worked just fine!!

Pull the fuel pump and manually operate it. See if you get any gas coming out the backside (the crankcase side). That would indicate a old bad diaphragm that won't deliver the needed pressure. Also see if the check valves in the pump are ok. If leaking, it won't hold the pressure. The old rubber parts in the old pumps aren't the greatest plus if they have ever seen our newer gas, don't last very long.

gotcha!! i'll check it out this weekend, i will also pull out the gas tank, drain it and flush it.
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 6:50pm
Nice base to work with...... take all that crap added off and make it original......that's what i would do.(next time) right pete ( yea i know i have no room to talk) silverstang.....any info needed just ask pete!!! He is the man when it comes to boat knowledge!!

steve.....you have the coolest old boat(s)!!

good luck with your project!

paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverstang84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 12:25am
thanks again guys. its gonna be a little while before she hits the water. but it'l be a cool project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic