Print Page | Close Window

New guy here: from NJ , PICTURES!!!

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10625
Printed Date: June-12-2024 at 2:50am

Topic: New guy here: from NJ , PICTURES!!!
Posted By: silverstang84
Subject: New guy here: from NJ , PICTURES!!!
Date Posted: May-27-2008 at 11:52pm
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and the proud new owner of a 16' 1964 correct craft. I have no idea what model exactly. I don't know much about these boats yet, and i hope some of you can shed some light on some things. i just bought the boat yesturday off of the ORIGINAL OWNER!! How much you ask??? FREE!! I just had to pay 175 for the trailer. The boat has not seen water in some time. The engine is a strait 6 ( owner said its a Ford 170???). I would like to find a place that sells parts for this motor. The boat is in great shape for 44 years old. dont let the faded paint and hull fool you. I tried to upload pics and the window said they had to be "zip" file? is there any way i can change the file so i can get some pics up? Thanks in advance

-------------
1964 Correct Craft straight 6

Replies:
Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: May-28-2008 at 2:29am
Ian,
Welcome to the site. Too bad you got such an obsolete boat tho.. there is absolutely no-one that even wants those old tugs! especially with that 6 banger!! You'll be the laughing stock on the water! (I would be glad to take it of your hands)

Actually, what a great deal! (I happen to have one of those "bad-boy" 64's with the same engine) What parts are you looking for? btw, Im guessing its an American Skier,like mine?

as for pics ...try downloading them into Photobucket

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-28-2008 at 7:45am
Ian, You can get parts for the engine at a good auto supply/parts. Try a Napa rather than a "Auto zone" type store. If you have a problem finding a specific part, post it her. You'll find this to be a great place because of the knowledge and helpful members. I'm surprised that you being in the trade that this is a issue.
Posting pictures seems to be a problem at times. I'm not a computer type and had a problem with it at first. I, as well as others, have found that using photobucket.com has worked great. There is a thread on using it that you should take a look at.
Glad you found us and we'll be waiting for pictures!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5142&PN=1 - thread on posting pictures with photobucket

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: May-28-2008 at 12:47pm
Ian, will have to agree with 62 as to your boat.No one wants old boats..........
Even tho the drive is far Karen and I will drive up there and give you back the money you wasted on the deal.
Welcome to the site and good luck with the diamond in the rough, and the 6 bangers are too cool.... Gas at 4.00 a gallon makes them even more Correct....
There are several American Skier owners here, 62 and I are but a few.Get the pics up on the site...WE LOVE PICS...Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 12:15am
Well thanks for the warm welcome guys. But get this. The boat has not seen the water sine 99. Since the original owner lost the key to the boat, i stopped by the local West Marine and bought a new ignition switch. after i installed the switch i could'nt resist the erge to see if the old gal would crank. so i threw in a old battery, gave the carb a little shot of ether, and BOOM!! she fires right up!! but only for a second until it ran out of either. needless to say, i'm amazed. I cant wait to get some fresh gas and hook up the garden hose to really let her run.

On a side note: i stopped by Advanced Auto and found out they have alot of general parts for the motor. as a far as points, oil filter and thermostst goes. I'll try to post up pics again. Talk to you later

Ian

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 12:45am

ok well here she is. she looks a little rough but this boat is SOLID!! just needs some tlc on the outside. hope you like it. oh yeah, what model is it???

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 12:52am
It's a customized American Skier.

-------------

Posted By: k.o.
Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 12:58am
man what a small engine. interesting to see. what make is it.. does it push those boat good??

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7587" rel="nofollow - 86 ski nautique

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

It's a customized American Skier.

customized?? the steering wheel is def custom right?

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:00am
Originally posted by k.o. k.o. wrote:

man what a small engine. interesting to see. what make is it.. does it push those boat good??

its a Ford 170 strait 6. i just got the boat 2 days ago, i have no clue how it rides yet

-------------

Posted By: rleinen79
Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:11am
Congrats on your find.

That wheel is something else. Ahoy!

Rob

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:12am
Pretty common engine on the older boats.

I'd say the windshield and just about all of the hardware has been added, and the steering wheel and throttle.

Great boat. Good luck with it.

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:14am
Ian,
Customized? For starters, yes the steering wheel. Also the deck hardware, the funky windshield and deck railing,the throttle (probably had a foot pedal),of coarse the paint,etc.

Also , I think its got the wrong carb on it. Make sure you check and/or replace ALL of the fuel lines! It doesnt appear to have a bilge blower? Mine didnt when I got it.

Have you ever had an inboard before?

Still , for the price a GREAT deal!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:20am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Ian,
Customized? For starters, yes the steering wheel. Also the deck hardware, the funky windshield and deck railing,the throttle (probably had a foot pedal),of coarse the paint,etc.

Also , I think its got the wrong carb on it. Make sure you check and/or replace ALL of the fuel lines! It doesnt appear to have a bilge blower? Mine didnt when I got it.

Have you ever had an inboard before?

Still , for the price a GREAT deal!

I'm trying to get a engine manual to see about that carb. No, this is not my first inboard. yeah,lol, it's going to need a blower. so all that railing is custom??

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:26am
I had a 64 Skier with a gray marine 4 cyl. It would pull pretty good until the algae built up on the hull around August . I think you can see it in the back ground in my diaries. Kind of wish I'd kept it.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:30am
594/7+
+7.7.+
.+4..4

Edit: This is what happens when you turn your back and you 18 month old pounds on the computer. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:31am
The railing? Its the first time Ive ever seen it.

Heres a pic of my carb, its a Carter YH sidedraft.

Also, your alternator looks like a GM,its common,but not safe to see them replaced with an automotive one, can you tell? Heres a pic that shows mine.

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:36am
62 wood: man, your engine is spotless. yeah, maybe the guy changed the carb and alt to automotive? quick question, where do you find parts and where can i get a pump impellar?

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 3:30am
Originally posted by silverstang84 silverstang84 wrote:

62 wood: man, your engine is spotless. yeah, maybe the guy changed the carb and alt to automotive? quick question, where do you find parts and where can i get a pump impellar?

It didnt always look like that.. heres a pic when I was installing my blower and new floor...

You can have a Carter Yh rebuilt, but you may need a core. You will also need the angled intake adapter, which I assume is no longer available? It looks like the PO added a raised flange for the engine cover to set on for your carb clearance?

As for the impeller,what kind of pump is it? You may have to pull the existing one out and check its size..(width,dia,and shaft size)

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: adamt
Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 4:24am

W H Y ?!?!?!?!!??

-------------
-Adam

1973 Skier

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 7:56am
Ian, The PO probably had a problem with the YH side draft and instead of rebuilding it with the correct up grade parts took the easy way and installed the down draft. Very common but the bad thing it required the customization of the engine box. Look for the correct set up. The tall box is the first thing you spot when someone has put on the down drafts. The side drafts were also used on the Inteceptor V8's as well as some Gray V8's. It made for a very nice low profile engine. The carbs do show up on ebay.

"Try a Napa rather than a "Auto zone" type store." Not Advanced Auto ether for parts!

The engine manual can be found on marineengine.com

The railings have got to go!!! Looks like Sally
had a tendency to fall out of the boat!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 9:23am
The manual is here at CCF:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/downloads/Interceptor%20Manual.pdf - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/downloads/Interceptor%20Manual.pdf

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 10:27am
   Thanks again for all of this important info. Looks like i'll be doing some researching tonight.

another question: i can't seem to find a drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan. I stuck my hand down there all under the motor and did'nt feel it. how the hell do you change the oil!?!?!?!?!?

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 10:43am
You pump it out of the dip stick tube with a small pump.

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 11:06am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ian, The PO probably had a problem with the YH side draft and instead of rebuilding it with the correct up grade parts took the easy way and installed the down draft. Very common but the bad thing it required the customization of the engine box. Look for the correct set up. The tall box is the first thing you spot when someone has put on the down drafts. The side drafts were also used on the Inteceptor V8's as well as some Gray V8's. It made for a very nice low profile engine. The carbs do show up on ebay.

"Try a Napa rather than a "Auto zone" type store." Not Advanced Auto ether for parts!

The engine manual can be found on marineengine.com

had a tendThe railings have got to go!!! Looks like Sally
ency to fall out of the boat!

The railings have got to go!!! Looks like Sally

I don't know Pete. It's been set up for the ocean, might be a good idea to keep them on, and it has a one of a kind look. It would be a good boat for the Grand Marshal if Keith organizes a parade at one of the reunions.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 12:51pm
That boat reminds me of a lot like the stuff you see in front yards in Ohio. Truly custom.

-------------

Posted By: uk1979
Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:20pm
Hi silverstang84

Great boat will look good with work.
As for the wheel it made me smile, is there a barometer under the midd hub cap?

I don't think we have that model over here in the UK.

Roger

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 2:59pm

hand pump or electric?? where can i get one??

-------------

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 3:25pm

Ether!
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&keyword=oil+change+pumps&Ntt=oil+change+pumps&N=377+710&y=11&x=34&storeId=10001&Ntk=Primary+Search&ddkey=SiteSearch - oil change pumps

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 64 Skier
Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 3:39pm
Go to www.fordsix.com There are a lot of guy's running 6 banger mustangs that just can't wait for a stock V8 to pull up next to them and the referenced website is the company helping them make all that power. A friend of mine bought their cam and can't say enough good things about it.

Just keep looking at Boat Doctors ride when and if you lack motivation.

-------------
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1071&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 71CC

Posted By: adamt
Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 4:59pm

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SUC01 - "SUCK UP" Vacuum Pump

-------------
-Adam

1973 Skier

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 8:43pm
i'll be picking up an oil change pump sometime this weekend.

on a side note: i got the boat running on its own today. man it sounded nice. the only problem is that after it has been running, once you shut it off, it's hard to start again. even if the motor has been running for an hour and is fully warmmed up, it wont start with out choke or starter fluid. whats happening? i also blew out the exhaust hose...... the one that comes off of the riser. but other than that. not a bad afternoon.lol

-------------

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 11:23pm
i want the wheel   how much              gilligan

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Date Posted: May-29-2008 at 11:33pm
Ian,
When you say it wont start after warming the engine up, is it cranking over, and how fast?

A few things to check.. the ignition timing and dwell, points, weak/leaking coil.

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: May-30-2008 at 12:14am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Ian,
When you say it wont start after warming the engine up, is it cranking over, and how fast?

A few things to check.. the ignition timing and dwell, points, weak/leaking coil.

what i mean is that when you get the engine running, it will run beautifly. but when you shut it down, and go to start it right back up, it will crank, but not start. but if you give it a little starter fluid, or choke the motor, it fires right up. i think its fuel related. i had to clean out the carb pretty good today to get it to run on its own.
I understand that a cold engine will need some starter fluid or choke to get running but my boat needs it each time you start it, even when its hot!! i can't figure it out

-------------

Date Posted: May-30-2008 at 7:29am
Go easy on that damn starting fluid. Some people don't realize that ether is a very strong solvent and washes the oil off the cylinder walls. My late father-in-law was addicted to the stuff and several of his older outboards and snowmobiles died from very little compression left after using it. I would keep telling him that all they needed were tuneups but he said that the cans of starting fluid worked just fine!!

Pull the fuel pump and manually operate it. See if you get any gas coming out the backside (the crankcase side). That would indicate a old bad diaphragm that won't deliver the needed pressure. Also see if the check valves in the pump are ok. If leaking, it won't hold the pressure. The old rubber parts in the old pumps aren't the greatest plus if they have ever seen our newer gas, don't last very long.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-30-2008 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Go easy on that damn starting fluid. Some people don't realize that ether is a very strong solvent and washes the oil off the cylinder walls. My late father-in-law was addicted to the stuff and several of his older outboards and snowmobiles died from very little compression left after using it. I would keep telling him that all they needed were tuneups but he said that the cans of starting fluid worked just fine!!

Pull the fuel pump and manually operate it. See if you get any gas coming out the backside (the crankcase side). That would indicate a old bad diaphragm that won't deliver the needed pressure. Also see if the check valves in the pump are ok. If leaking, it won't hold the pressure. The old rubber parts in the old pumps aren't the greatest plus if they have ever seen our newer gas, don't last very long.

gotcha!! i'll check it out this weekend, i will also pull out the gas tank, drain it and flush it.

-------------

Posted By: 67nautique312
Date Posted: June-02-2008 at 6:50pm
Nice base to work with...... take all that crap added off and make it original......that's what i would do.(next time) right pete ( yea i know i have no room to talk) silverstang.....any info needed just ask pete!!! He is the man when it comes to boat knowledge!!

steve.....you have the coolest old boat(s)!!

good luck with your project!

paul,

-------------
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-06-2008 at 12:25am
thanks again guys. its gonna be a little while before she hits the water. but it'l be a cool project

-------------

Print Page | Close Window