Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tech question?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
justrite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tech question?
    Posted: April-15-2008 at 10:40pm
Iam having the top end done.
Is it necessary to change to a hardeded exhaust valve and seat?
This is a 1961 Ford Intercepter 170CID that use to run on leaded gas.
Now of coarse it will be using unleaded gas.
Is the machine shop trying to sell me a conversion I dont need? Any thoughts are welcome. I understand at one time white gas was used with no additives and it was fine.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 10:47pm
Mark, Yes it is true that or old marine engines used to run on straight run (white) gas but the engines were industrial conversions and had the good parts needed. Some even had sodium filled valves! It wasn't until the automotive blocks that were built cheaper were marinized and then with the no lead that problems came up. Go with the hardened seats and valves.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
justrite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 11:02pm
Pete, the hardened parts& install are a $225.00 upgrade. I can buy alot of lead additive for that price. Is this a good alternative?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 11:08pm
NO!!! There is no lead substitute!!
I can't believe the cost is that much more. Any comments guys?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 11:17pm
Justrite, I'm curious about the whole cost of the valve job. Are you rebuilding the block yourself? How have you dated the engine?    I read that in '65 they went from a 4 main bearing to a 7 main bearing which was much better. I'm guessing mine is an early '60s.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 11:31pm
yes and no and yes and no, i tore into a robbins engine last week and the hardened seats were beautiful, but the valves were done, they were 2 years old,
its like buying lifetime brake pads, the pads last for life but they kill the rotors

im really up in the air on the hardened seats,
if you have the money do it while its apart,
"the things you own will start to own you"
justrite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 11:44pm
Riley, Parts including the upgrade 157.00, labor and maching 362.00. Total 530.00.

Yes Iam doing the block, its a 4 bearing main.

And eric were the valves hardened as well?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2008 at 11:56pm
yes the valves are hard, lead hasnt been around for a few years and additives just plain old dont work. what condition are the seats in now? to do an engine 100% correctly 2 angle seats should be installed if yours are beat up, so the answer to your question is they are not trying to get your money, they build engines everyday and it is common practice to install hardened seats in the heads.....you decide
justrite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 12:09am
Pete, Eric, that cost is just to do the exhaust valves, machine shop said their is no need to do the intakes? because not as much heat?

Is this common?
justrite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 12:13am
Riley dated by the ser. #.
ripsaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 12:43am
Is there that much more machining or labor for a hardened valve seat. $225.00 wow and that's just the exhaust?
86 2001
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 12:51am
Im not familar with the six, but it sure sounds like youre getting hosed on the labor. I paid about $320 for the valvejob on my GT40p's, which included labor, machining, new seats and 2 valves.
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 12:52am
Yes, there is substantial machining involved. Plus the cost of the seats, press in, and grind the seats.

My experience says, no...you do not need them. This is based on a pair I've run for about a decade now. The seats are in great condition. As cool as these engines run I doubt you will ever wear out the seats.

Now...if the seats have worn and recessed into the head, they will have to be replaced anyway so you might as well have them installed. When looking at the combustion chamber the exhaust valve should sit high in the chamber.

I've found that machining costs vary widely based on geographical areas so that doesn't sound too out of line to me. However, if you're concerned, check around. Also, you will pay more for better equipment. If the shop has a "Serdi" expect to pay top dollar for a top quality job!

I would forgo the hardened seats and get all bronze guide liners, three angle seats, and PC seals. If you have a shop recommend knurling the guides...find a new shop!

Good luck!
Matt
justrite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 2:04am
knurling the guides? Not mentioned, Whats that?

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 2:54am
Originally posted by justrite justrite wrote:

Some consider knurling a band-aid fix for repairing worn valve guides in the head.

Its a series of spiral cut "grooves", kinda like plowing a garden, where the displaced metal, from the cut actually raises on both sides of the cut, thus making the inside diameter of the guide smaller. The guide can then be "re-sized" to original specs. Problem is,theres not as much metal , because of the grooves , so it will tend to wear again quicker.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 9:54am
it is pretty labor intensive to do the seats, you have to dial in on each bore, so the price will vary,   Tr, did those heads have hardened seats in them prior to them being rebuilt? im with bracket, i will inspect the seats on heads and if not pitted or mushroomed i dont do it and thats on ten year plus engines which i know have been run without lead.
everything made nowadays including in the service manuals have a note attached for liability reasons such as: you must run leaded fuel in this engine. if there is a problem down the road, the warranty decision maker is going to say did you run lead and of curse you are going to say no and you know what happens next.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 10:57am
Eric about the robbins,was it in an ezgo?I have some thoughts on it if so.Give me a shout or e mail

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2008 at 12:01pm
Munday call me at my shop, 877-369-6693 its an ez -go
Brktracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brktracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2008 at 10:38am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by justrite justrite wrote:

Some consider knurling a band-aid fix for repairing worn valve guides in the head.

Its a series of spiral cut "grooves", kinda like plowing a garden, where the displaced metal, from the cut actually raises on both sides of the cut, thus making the inside diameter of the guide smaller. The guide can then be "re-sized" to original specs. Problem is,theres not as much metal , because of the grooves , so it will tend to wear again quicker.

Also the knurled areas allow a path for oil to pass through the guide.

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic