NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1974 Stringer Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2010 at 11:53am
Clark,

Pete is right. There's some good threads on here that have carpet info. I also searched on a couple other forums I'm on and did a google search. I think I've seen some blue that is like what you are looking for, but I couldn't tell you which place I saw it. I've looked at a bunch of carpet suppliers.

Ingles Carpet in GA is one that seemed to have a decent carpet at a decent price, and there are a bunch of others.
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2010 at 4:38pm
Cool thanks andy.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2010 at 9:00pm
So I just found out that I have to replace the wood where the exhaust comes out of the rear of the boat. This sucks.
Thanks Clark Slaten
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 12:40pm
As did I. One of mine was half gone and just sludge in there due to it NEVER being sealed at the factory.
Actually, I am glad I ended up doing those and the rudder plate. It is not that much of a pain in the ass, and you will be glad you did it.   Grind it out, measure, peanut butter it in, glass it, and then get the correct hole saw. I just used exterior ply I had laying around, CPES and epoxy.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:23pm
I was lucky on mine. The sections in the transom are all good. The rudder area is good too. I am replacing the strut mount, though. I'm sure it won't add too much to your project and like Mike said, it should be relatively simple to replace. A couple of the Supra guys had to do it on their rebuilds.

So, how are you coming along? What do you have done? Where's those pictures?
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 7:56pm
Hey I actully got my primary stringers cut down to size yesterday. Everything makes a good fit. I need to cut the 1X6 stringers and start glassing everything in. I have forgot my camera the last three times I have worked on the boat. I have some pics. from my Iphone but the look like crap. It is hard on the eyes just to try to figure out what you looking like. Lets just say the pics are really bad. Well I hope this weekend I can get the stringers set on place then glass my ASS off for the next week and call it done. Pictures are coming when the rain goes away.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 8:12pm
Glass your ASS off !!!!!! Spring is in the air!!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 8:57pm
Yup, the clock is ticking. Are you coating your boards in CPES? Are you also planning to bed them in before you glass them?
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 1:11am
Im not going to do the CPES. Yes Im going to seal them with a light vale before I set them in the boat. I did a lot of research and the light glass with vale will make a better bond with the wood "in the long run" compared to the CPES. Although I could do both and that would be the best thing to do. BUT I am on a budget so Im just doing the vale. No Im not spelling vale right but it's something like that. I am shooting for the mid-May mark to be finished.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 5:14pm
Well guys dont use resin from the local automotive store. I wasted a gallon and about 3 hours waiting on junk resin to harded and it never did.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 5:15pm
But I did get two sringers set in place and the fiberglass will strat tomarrow.. HURRAY
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Cslaten33 Cslaten33 wrote:

Well guys dont use resin from the local automotive store. I wasted a gallon and about 3 hours waiting on junk resin to harded and it never did.

Was this just extra cause it was the weekend? Or was that the original plan?
Lotsa guys use the US Composites stuff. I, be it wasteful dollarwise or not, have stuck with West Systems through both of my projects. i get how it works and have had zero issues. I think I have only hotpotted myself twice in 2 years. Maybe three times.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 6:35pm
Well before my girl friend found this site I got like three gallons from the local automotive strore. Since then I have baught the 5 gallon kit from US Composites. But for mixing the cabosil in with the resin I figured I could just use the automotive brand resin. There were two different brands that I got from the automotive store. One of the brands had a really bad resin to MEKP mixture. It sever set up. The other two set up really fast. But you learn and move on. But yea it was like a 50 dollar screw up.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 6:49pm
that sucks. At least you have the right stuff anyway.    Back to it, Spring is coming !!!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2010 at 9:52pm

Well before my girl friend found this site I got like three gallons from the local automotive strore. Since then I have baught the 5 gallon kit from US Composites. But for mixing the cabosil in with the resin I figured I could just use the automotive brand resin. There were two different brands that I got from the automotive store. One of the brands had a really bad resin to MEKP mixture. It sever set up. The other two set up really fast. But you learn and move on. But yea it was like a 50 dollar screw up.

Polyester resin!! Why?? Clark, you're not listening to us and not doing your home work again!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 12:15am
8122pbrainard: The resin I got from the local automotive store in the same type of resin I got from US Composites. Homework done. Although the mixtures are different on all three different brands. Thanks
Thanks Clark Slaten
skfitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 12:19am
Well, at least polyester is good for huffing . . .
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 12:23am
LMAO
Thanks Clark Slaten
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 12:34am
Originally posted by skfitz skfitz wrote:

Well, at least polyester is good for huffing . . .

Aw man I knew I should have ordered polyester
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 8:55am

8122pbrainard: The resin I got from the local automotive store in the same type of resin I got from US Composites. Homework done. Although the mixtures are different on all three different brands. Thanks

Clark,
What are you mixing up over there? Doing some chemistry work? Did you purchase polyester or epoxy resin from US Composites?

There were two different brands that I got from the automotive store. One of the brands had a really bad resin to MEKP mixture. It sever set up. The other two set up really fast.

MEKP is the catalyst for polyester!!!!

Im not going to do the CPES. Yes Im going to seal them with a light vale before I set them in the boat. I did a lot of research and the light glass with vale will make a better bond with the wood "in the long run" compared to the CPES. Although I could do both and that would be the best thing to do. BUT I am on a budget so Im just doing the vale. No Im not spelling vale right but it's something like that.

What have you been reading and I have been meaning to ask you about this "vale"?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Polyester resin!! Why?? Clark, you're not listening to us and not doing your home work again!

Clark, you better listen to this guy.........saved me a bunch of headaches already. See my "75 Stringer replacement" and you'll see.
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
abolton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 8:05pm
Polyester Resin vs. Epoxy its not just about the money

Here is a link to follow.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/161745-laying-stringers.html

A bit of post reading from Offshore Only .com pay special attention to any posts by the sites Grandmaster "Glassdave"
ABE
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2010 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by abolton abolton wrote:

Polyester Resin vs. Epoxy its not just about the money

Here is a link to follow.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/161745-laying-stringers.html

A bit of post reading from Offshore Only .com pay special attention to any posts by the sites Grandmaster "Glassdave"

Abe,
It's always nice to see that others in boat repair appreciate the benefits of epoxy. Too bad Grandmaster "Glassdave" didn't mention CPES when the comment was made about the viscosity of epoxy resin. Maybe the "Grandmaster" doesn't know about it!!

Oh, Here's the link to the above offshoe forum

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2010 at 1:32am
Yes! Very good read! Pay close attn. to what Audiofn is saying.

AT
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 12:28am
YAY the other stringer finally set up. It took 30 hours to do so. But never the less the damn thing is hard as a rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Clark Slaten
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 12:34am
I ordered epoxy resin. I keep saying MEKP because that is what the guys at the glass shop call it here in town. Sorry for the mix up.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2010 at 9:05am
Clark,
How are you mixing the resin/hardener to get the proper ratio? Did you get the pumps or are you going by weight? Which hardener did you get - slow, medium, fast? What's the temperature?

Glad to hear you did get the epoxy.

Keep in mind that you do not need to wait for a full cure before you go to the next layer. Just wait until the resin starts to "kick" (solidify) and isn't running.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cslaten33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cslaten33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 1:38am
I got the medium. Yes I got several pumps from us composite. I will go by weight I'm sure.
Thanks Clark Slaten
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 8:25am

I got the medium. Yes I got several pumps from us composite. I will go by weight I'm sure.

Clark,
How have you been getting the mix ratio? By measuring volume or pump strokes? The reason I asked if you did get the pumps is they really are the easy way to get the ratio. Assuming you got the correct ones, one full pump stroke of each gives you the proper ratio. No goofing around with a scale.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2010 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Clark,
How have you been getting the mix ratio? By measuring volume or pump strokes? The reason I asked if you did get the pumps is they really are the easy way to get the ratio. Assuming you got the correct ones, one full pump stroke of each gives you the proper ratio. No goofing around with a scale.

Pete,

It doesn't appear that US Composites sells the "metered" pumps like I got last year for the FLAG Resin. Their pumps are 1 pump equals one ounce. I've just been careful about what I'm doing and making sure I do 3 pumps of resin to one pump of hardener with the medium hardener set up. If Clark got the same pumps he'll need to do the same and/ or weigh it, right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4567>
  Share Topic