NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CT mini reunion: Aug 24-26, 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
Author
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 12:24am
Awesome pics and video...thanks Tim!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 1:58am
Here is the 5 person takeoff with the Barefoot Nautique:
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 2:19am
who were the 5 guys? who made it? AWESOME sound.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
AirTique98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirTique98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 3:33am

Awesome pictures....and sound [on the potential 5-man]. Looks to have been a "fan"tastic weekend. Somehow Reid is always found riding in a hot boat. I might have to hook up with the Ohio contingent for a ride up next year.
Bill
98Air Nautique

Former Owner:
1990 Ski Nautique
1981 Ski Nautique
1976 Ski Nautique
1971 Ski Nautique
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 3:56am
Originally posted by AirTique98 AirTique98 wrote:

Awesome pictures....and sound [on the potential 5-man]. Looks to have been a "fan"tastic weekend. Somehow Reid is always found riding in a hot boat. I might have to hook up with the Ohio contingent for a ride up next year.
You're more than welcome to hop in with me.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 4:41am
That looks like such a fun weekend. Plenty of water sports and high speed runs. Reid has the "Need for Speed" addiction that is incurable.

I have to admit that BBC in the Barefoot sounds awesome. Reid you need to get a BB Ford project happening.

Thanks for the pictures and videos guys. Tim (Foot) more to come I hope
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 9:06am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

who were the 5 guys? who made it? AWESOME sound.

john

We lost Mr. Mars as he went down with a pulled groin on the step... But uncle Todd, brad (barracuda), Tom (gottaski) and I skied away. We had lost a few footers to injuries and early departures by sun am, I think the boat could have pulled a few more pretty easily. It was propped down with hotboat's 430 at that point.

Great pictures and videos so far!
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 9:22am

Great photo's Tim, thank you.
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 9:42am
I really wish I could have made it, just couldn't do it with family stuff going on. Looks like an AWESOME time! Great pics and video, keep it coming!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 11:29am
Thanks to Tim and his family for opening up their home for us. Allie and I had an awesome time. This was Allie's first time experiencing so many watersports and boats going at one time. She had a lot of fun. Quinner and Hollywood put their gentlemen hat on. Thanks to Brad and Chris for helping us launch and pick up my boat. Joe, my boat ran out of steam at 45 MPH. Yeah, there was no keeping up with you.

Looking forward to being healed up for the next gathering!

Ken
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 2:15pm
Sounds and looks like a great time. Tim, your BFN sounds mean! What happened with UT's Tique?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 2:19pm
The BFN has a little bite to it, ha. The Tique was throwing belts early in the weekend, but by Sat afternoon it was all dialed in and running great.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2012 at 2:30pm
Thanks again to Tim and his Dad for welcoming everyone again. We were only there on Sat but it was great seeing everyone again.

Maybe next year we can try for a mini on Lake Zoar. Spread the reunion duties around.

Kettletown is there for camping.
Public boat launch.
Big sand bar to hang out on.
8 miles long.
Bar close by for night-time festivities.
Hotel near for those that don't want to camp.
Right off exit 14 on I-84
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 12:44am
You bastards. I will not miss this next year .

Mike

ETA: Tim, that BFN makes all the right noise. Awesome
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 1:29am
Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing guys!
83Ski
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 1:38am
I only made Sunday thanks to a vacation conflict, but I have to say that's the most fun I've had in a day in a long, long time. An awesome group of people and some awesome boats!! It was great to meet you all!
Thanks so much to the Benjamins and everyone who helped put this together. Highlights for me were riding in and behind Joe's incredible 2001, spectating the barefooting behind the Benjamin's awesome BFN, and watching Adam's parasail run around the lake to cap it all off. I'll be back for this one next year, for sure!

-Tom
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 2:17am
thanx Tim...no HW or kneeboard man in multiple? Guess I woould have to get in the 'seniors' run.

sounds like a tough choice Bill....TN in June or CT in August or Reid's in October. I need to retire so me and you can just roadtrip to these events!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 2:37am

sounds like a tough choice Bill....TN in June or CT in August or Reid's in October. I need to retire so me and you can just roadtrip to these events!

don't get hung up on choosing, start hitting them all!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 2:51am

I need to retire so me and you can just roadtrip to these events!
john

Funny how when you do, you have less time Everyone thinks well he's got nothing to do when in fact you have alot of catching up to do! It's been 6 months now,a really great summer can't say I have accomplished a thing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 9:37am

thanx Tim...no HW or kneeboard man in multiple?

Unfortunately no, it would have been good to have them (dad too, who had pulled a hamstring earlier) but the Chicago boys had to take off early sun morning before we got to skiing.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 2:26pm

Some personal highlights…

Got there Friday- showed up at the dock with the boat loaded to the gills (nothing too unusual there) , I had all the help I could manage to unload it and make it relatively safe for human occupancy.   We had a great lunch – tapped the keg – then I tried to sabotage Tim’s attempts to start the 79 barefoot for the first time. It didn’t work for long though and that thing popped to life and was immediately producing smiles, shattering records, and pulling its owners on a victory tandem barefoot run.   Pretty sure Friday night we loaded Adam Dean’s 2000 Proair to the gills with ballast bags and surfed till two in the morning.. or maybe that was 9:30 pm. After Brad and Cheney showed up with a beautiful shot ski and a bunch of liquor to present to the hosts it was clear this party would get started off right… and truly it did.

My only first day pics

First thing on Saturday we got in that plastic classic powered barefoot run. Todd Benjamin, Tim Benjamin, and Chris Quinn were up early and up to the task.   Brad did the driving honors. It must have been really early though, cause Greg said he saw stars on the three man pull, Chris saw stars on the finishing whip of the two man pull, and then they took me for a single run and sure enough I saw those stars too! After that we left the water to the slalom skiers for a bit. We loaded the piss out of my 83 and did a bit of boarding Saturday afternoon, the wake was big and knarly and the fans were flying, binding failures cut us short and by the time we crushed our excellent lunch the lake was more fit for surfing behind Adam Dean’s 2000 pro air which must have gone on for at least 2 hours.

As mentioned elsewhere here Saturday was the beginning of the great trick ski resurgence of aught ’12.   We had good tricking and bad tricking.. single tricking, double tricking, forward tricking, backward tricking, tricking behind classics, tricking behind modern classics.   There was friendly tricking and battle tricking… one of the memorable rides of the weekend was in Chris Mars’ new promo with Hollywood and Booby(quinners neighbor and friend) behind it on tricks.   At one point booby went down and called for chris to come back for a hot pickup.. I am pretty sure chris had never even seen one done. The first attempt was a little rough and resulted in booby dislocating a finger, however we came back around with Hollywood still in tow, this time Quinner talked Chris through the pickup and even with the dislocated finger Booby made the start.   We swapped Quinner into the driver seat, gave booby a much needed rest, put Chris in the water with HW and Chris was able to accomplish two hot pickups from the other end of the rope… pretty cool for us non show skier types to see.   

What started out as an attempt to get up six trick skiers (all the trick skis we could find) ended up as an 11 person run what ya brung mega run so as not to leave anyone on the shore. Sadly propped as I brought it the 83 SN was just not up to the task.   Everyone held on for unbelievably long pulls while the boat sat at 3000 rpm walking sideways, eventually we lost all but 6 of us and then we popped right out and continued around the lake. We then tried to make our six pairs of tricks into 7 people by putting Hollywood and brad on one each… but again the boat just didn’t want to do it until we were down to 6.. brad being considerably bigger than HW and only on one ski was the one to miss out on the fun.   Saturday’s dinner was spectacular, but people were falling like flys.. someone napping everywhere you looked by 10pm. If there was anything moving by 12pm.. I sure wasn’t around to see it.. certainly the keg had long left the building.

Second day pics

Sunday was more of the same… we lost a couple back early to Illinois but got a couple replacements for the day. It was good to meet the two Toms and get them out on feet, skis, boards, etc.   

Started with some early morning footing, then a little later when Tim was out of bed we decided it was time to test the barefooter’s limits. Unfortunately Greg was down from the day before, I had yet to grow a pair, and the tow Chicago boys were on their way back home. Gottaski Tom was up to the task despite a 12 year span since his last long line run, Uncle Todd was solid as he had been all weekend, Tim and Brad were solid as usual. Chris Mars rounded out the 5.   Unfortunately his 2012 man size feet were not able to smoothly come out of his 1960 man sized bindings and the result was painful to watch but not nearly as painful as it was to experience.

I did some combo skiing behind the inca gold skier with Brad and Cheney- I was the weak link on the drop with that one but we had a good time and I finished with a dual slalom run with brad.. at which point I became acquainted with its 22 off rooster tail for the first time .   Thanks to Brian for that pull.   

We also got in a little sky ski session in the afternoon wave pool.

Some of the only pics I have are of this crew that went out on Sunday. All three were first time trick skiers at the beginning of the boat ride. One of them had never been on any skis before that day.   They nailed the triple run by the end of the session.

By then Chris Mars was watching:

Getting it done was Zoey, Mary Beth, and 76 Tique Tom.

About the last order of water business for the day was to wipe the stain of last years parasailing misadventure from the shores of the Benjamin Compound. Adam (Iaughtnaught) Dean wouldn’t let the dream go and recuited himself a reasonably competent looking ground/boat crew so I was game. Other than Chris mars stepping on the shoot and pulling his already injured leg out from under him on the start all was smooth and Adam gave the lake a good show, even waving at some canoeists as I lowered him down a bit on the turn. After one lap of the lake it was too dark for a repeat.   

There weren’t too many left by Sunday evening.    Anything resembling a beer was long gone.. even the twisted tea that had been on the bottom of Adam’s boat cooler for months wasn’t safe.   So we broke out the liquor and made some whiskey drinks and some rum drinks, found ourselves a deck of cards, had a few hot dogs, and a great night.

Big props to those who cleaned up the compound on Monday morning Adam, Ben Mars, Mary Beth, etc.. The last boat to leave was the first one to arrive…

I met the original owner of Tim’s Inca Gold Skier while we were putting the boats on the trailer. They thought it was awesome we were there for the weekend ( I assumed by now we had probably wore out our welcome with most of the locals but apparently not the case) she requested a boat parade around the lake if we come back.     

Soon it was all over but the driving… I had brought my lowrider and the Midwest boys followed me home to make sure I made it..

Another great time.

I love all the reunions and they each have their charms. This one is unique in that we are all in one place the whole time and right on the water with easy access to the boats. It wouldn’t work however without the Benjamin’s letting us fully take over their beautiful place and all the help they provide to feed us and keep us comfortable. Truly awesome, Thanks again Greg, Laurie, Todd, Tony, Tim and crew.   I always feel welcomed at the Benjamin compound. Thanks to everyone else that came out for help making it one of the best weekends of the summer.

Now all you picture perfectionists with your big fancy cameras get to posting.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 5:10pm
Chris Mars: bringing zombie back.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2012 at 10:55pm
Joe thanks for putting that summary together with pictures of the weekend.

Makes me want to fly over immediately if you were doing it again this weekend.

Chris that Hamstring looks painful.

Joe that tow hitch weight looks a little low.   
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2012 at 1:09am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Some personal highlights…

Great recap & photos! Pity the beer ran out. I grew up in CT , and unless the laws have changed since I've left, CT has always had the harshest liquor laws in the USA. When I left CT you could only buy alcohol until 8PM Mon-Sat, and none at all on Sunday. Has CT lightened up since then?

(edited by moderator to remove duplicate photos)
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 2:04am
As the sunburn and sore muscles from a great weekend fade...here a few more snaps to look back on.

Early morning barefoot runs

Started with this:

Unlce Todd warming up

Getting ready for the seniors run behind UT's Plastic Classic

UT and Quinner

Quinner and UT skiing it back.

Quinner and his kneeboard

Pick up boat hunting for dropped skis

Cheney (Mrs Barracuda) and I taking a tandem run together.

Joe F

Phil boomin' it

Mid Day hang outs:

Eric and Marissa:

Phil and Jess

Pat and Zoey

Surfing:

Adam

Eric

Cheney

Tim

Brian

Masssstercraffft!

Multi and Mega:

Joe, Cheney and I getting ready for triples combo/ drop run behind the skier

Joe pulling multi trick skiers?

The consolation run on the pick up boat after the 7 man trick mega.
(me, Mars, hwood) Quick thinkin from hwood saved Mars from adding a concussion to his list of injuries.

Pulled this out of Joe's boat after the pylon bending 11 man MEGA.
You want your rope?? GO GET IT!

Maribeth's ski lesson

The parting Shot

Thanks again for an amazing weekend!

-Brad and Cheney
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 2:25am
Originally posted by 87MCProstar 87MCProstar wrote:

...Having this weekend come around every year may make me switch brands

You know what they say...

If the vest fits

WEAR IT!
87MCProstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87MCProstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2012 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Originally posted by 87MCProstar 87MCProstar wrote:

...Having this weekend come around every year may make me switch brands

You know what they say...

If the vest fits

WEAR IT!

Love it! I maybe looking in the near future...for a nautique...ya never know...you guys are a GREAT group to hang with. Looking forward to the next time already.

Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2012 at 2:16pm
Hey, I just wanted to say thanks to all those who attended and those who we missed, but hope to see you next year. It was a great time, and it really is, "all about the people"!! The people excellent, The water sports were outstanding, the boats were even better!

For me, it started when Chis Mars and Picture Pat offered to tow my '78 Tique from upstate NY to CT, after driving some 25 hours. Then he had a real piece of CC history on his tow home to Iowa. Chris, Thanks for everything, and sorry to see your thigh, that is some hamstring tear.

Reid (DR. of how to make the old hulls go fast!!) warned me about something called chine-lock. The proof of Reid's theory is manifested in my brother-in-law Tonys' one cracked and 2 broken ribs when the Tique (somewhere north of 50mph, in a sweeping left turn in front of the crowd and 3 front seat passengers, buried the chine and suddenly snap-turned right within about a boat length. 50 to 0 in less than 20 feet! Best wishes on you recovery, Tony.

But, so much for the major injuries, you were all great guests. Hollywood showed me the secret snap ring to remove the steering wheel center and tighten the wheel, probably a good thing based on the prior paragraph.

Cheney and Brad got their photos of side by side early morning footing runs.

Tim got the Barefooter running with the help of Joe, Hollywood and team; It's a sound that only few have heard before from a Nautique!! What a sight, 63mph+ has been Tim's goal for over 3 years. Nicely done, and well worth the wait!

Chis Mars got new points, condenser, and a thigh color to match his new Promo.

Three orange Nautiques in the same place at the same time, Wow!

Ben Mars is learning his barefoot runs, and Marybeth learned to ski in
5 minutes and went right to the multiple trick ski line.

Tim Morfoot was a trooper. He changed out at least 5 props with me, cleaned my pitot tube (Really!!) videoed the Tique, was on the Saturday breakfast crew, and was a real pleasure to have there!! Thank you Tim.

Reid was pulling on that slalom rope behind the Crush. Looked like 41' off at 36 mph! He was the technical genius and made my Tique (one year) project run so well that he knew he couldn't slap the smile off my face. His foresight to buy the Rev Rot rear main crankshaft seals, and load the backseat; just a few of his secrets!! See the video and thanks for the rebuilt stringers Tim B.

Thanks to Joe, Brian, Hollywood, and Brad for the help on my intake manifold. How is it that Hollywood always fins the lost nut?? I have since replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets. They were leaking, but now are QUIET.

Joe, and those Salt Potatoes, wieners, and sausages were excellent and enjoyed by all.

So those were some of my thoughts from a really and memorable weekend. I just got the Classics home yesterday, and even that boat was enjoyed by many. Pulled some footers, I think the first ever for that boat. GPS'd by Tim at 50.3 mph, so Next year we can load up some more. Quinner, you were great fun to foot with, and I still remember our countdown to our finishing barefoot slides. One...T Faceplant!!

Everyone, Check out the photos and videos and please come back. Than you ALL!! Todd

watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2012 at 4:22pm
Looks like fun.

I guess nobody has taught Joe the circle start.... ;)
Tubing Sucks.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2012 at 4:36pm
I will and I really mean I will attend to one of this reunion before I leave this world!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
  Share Topic